Anamika S Jain is a Social Media Consultant who handles the FaceBook, Twitter and Blog of a top Bollywood Actress.
What is Microblogging
Microblogging is a combination of blogging and instant messaging. Microblogging websites allow users to create a short message with 140 to 200 characters that is posted on their profile which gets broadcasted to their followers or friends instantly. These messages or updates can be submitted by a variety of means, including text messaging, instant messaging, email, digital audio or the web. These messages also can be received with a variety of computing devices, including cell phones. In short these Sites make communication fast and easy. Although most microblog broadcasts are posted as text format there are some microblogging services which allow video or audio posts.
Microblogging WebSites List
When we hear the term ‘microblogging’ the site Twitter is what comes into our mind. But do you know there are plenty of other alternatives to Twitter. Given below are some great microblogging sites online.
1.Twitter: Twitter is the leader of the Pack and has become almost synonymous to microblogging. Twitter has popularized the concept of microblogging. It has changed the way people use the internet and has increased the time they use the computer. It provides many online activities from internet marketing, online diary updating, affiliate marketing, blog traffic generation and a lot more. The main success for twitter has been that it provides 3rd party developers to make application for it. Add me on Twitter
2. FriendFeed: Friendfeed is a microblogging site which is close on heals with Twitter with it's a real time aggregator that combines instant messaging and microblogging. This Site also helps to consolidates the updates from social bookmarking websites, blogs and micro-blogging, social media and social networking websites and share it with your friends in the Site. Add me on FriendFeed
3. Tumblr: This Site is known for its simplicity and functionality. It is a combination of microblogging and social networking and allows you to post text, pictures, video, audio, chat and links. It also gives the option for members to customize their own page or even have their own domain names. The Tumblr updates are called tumbledogs.
4. Posterous: Posterous is one of my favorite micro-blogging platform in this article and I use it to promote my articles. It’s extremely easy to set up and use; the only thing you need to get started is a working email account. Add me on Posterous
5. Plurk: Plurk is a combination of social networking and microblogging. The updates or messages in Plurk are called plurks. Members can send plurks to other members in the form of links to their blog posts or other sites and short messages. With Plurk you can network with other people who have the same interests as you are. However, I am yet to figure out how it works. Add me on Plurk
6. Jaiku: This Site has most features and functions are similar.
7. Sweetter: Sweetter allows members to broadcast about your activities and also follow other members. This site has a voting system where members can vote up the posts that they like while vote down those that they don’t want to appear higher in the index page.
8. Identi.ca: Identi.ca is a microblogging service that runs on an open source, Creative Common framework.
9. Brightkite: Brightkite helps members in connecting with the people and places around you.
10. Plerb: Plerb.com is a simple, free microblogging service and chat community where the member can connect with friends, meet interesting new people and find new business contacts.
11. Pownce: With Pownce I can post messages, links, files, or events which are viewable by friends and fans of an individual. Pownce also serves as an advertising channel.
12. Microblogr: Microblogr is a microblogging and social networking service allows instant collaboration with friends from the network using their SMS feature. It allows communication with members through their index page and also on their mobile phone if this service is activated by them.
13. Yammer: Yammer is a great tool for companies and organizations to update them of their member’s activities. This is an excellent microblogging tool for coworkers in any company or organization and the privacy of every member and the company is secured as those who can access are only those with a valid company email address.
14. Dailybooth: Dailybooth is a micro-blogging platform that deals only in pictures. The concept behind Dailybooth is to take and upload a picture of you everyday even if it is a bad hair day. It’s simple to use – you upload or email in your pictures and it’s done.
15. MySay: MySay is a unique microblogging platform where instead of text updates, users call MySay and say how they are doing today. Then, friends or family can listen via phone, e-mail, or the web.
16. Hictu: Hictu is a service for video microbloggers. A webcam and a mouse-click is all that is needed to create a video post here.
17. 12 Seconds: 12 Seconds is a micro-blogging video website.
18. Utterli: Utterli is a hybrid social media posting site where you can upload multiple types of media including voice files and post on a timeline.
19. Frazr: Frazr is a Twitter like microblogging site focused primarily on the French and German markets.
20. Rememble: Rememble is a 'washing line' for your digital bits and pieces. Thread together texts, photos, videos, sounds, scribbles, scans, notes and even tweets so they're not drifting in a digital wasteland.
21. Mixin: Mixin is the place where people can easily share their micro-agenda like small info that is interesting when it is about getting organized with friends.
22. Spotjots: Spotjots is a microblogging service which combines geo location and mapping for real time sharing of information. Here a member can send in updates which are geo located and mapped out that can be viewed by the friends.
23. AQA2U: AQA2U is essentially a micro-publishing platform that allows premium-rate SMS mobile question and answer. Using AQA anyone can stay in touch with friends, fans and followers, making money for themselves or charities at the same time.
24. Open Microblogging: This is an open standard that allows users on different micro-blogging services to communicate with each other.
25. Meemi: Meemi enables one to share thoughts, links, images, videos on the web with friends easily.
27. You are
31. Adocu (nanoblogging service)
However, Even though there are over 40 Sites List to choose from a user may not be able to effectively use more than 5 sites. You can pick the sites which are best suited for your usage and concentrate on them.
Deacon Martin from Bristol, UK on July 10, 2017:
Very helpful / useful... Many thanks.
anandmistry.uh from Ahmedabad, India on September 11, 2012:
You are rocking on Hubpages... I am quite excited to publish my first hub on Hubpages. I have decided similar subject for my first Hub. Now, I have to change my mind. Because, you have done magic on this subject. :)
Katee Shew from Canada on July 11, 2012:
Very cool! I haven't heard of most of these, so it was really great to read about them! thanks for this :)
Kaiharriss from Wandsworth, London on May 01, 2012:
I love twitter and tumblr. I did not tried other. But now I am looking for making the account on not all but on few of them.
craftycain from Los Angeles on April 29, 2012:
The names of the sites alone made this a good read. lol Great round up!
cashmere from India on February 04, 2012:
I've not even heard of a number of these sites, thanks for the list Anamika
alexa001 from HOLTSVILLE NY on December 21, 2011:
Amazing information found here. Thanks..:)
suvitharoja from India on December 02, 2011:
Great efforts. I appreciate it. Keep posting
Vaibhav on November 16, 2011:
Nice blog. Very helpful for SEO.
PR Agencies on November 14, 2011:
Great blog! I genuinely adore how it really is quick on my eyes along with the info are well written. I’m wondering how I may be notified whenever a brand new post has been made. I have subscribed to your rss feed which must do the trick! Have a nice day!
Treasure on October 25, 2011:
Thanks for the information. You are the best
Bailey on August 18, 2011:
MyYearbook is microblogging b/c you can only have 140 characters per status. And same thing I think for HelloTxt and GBuzz (Google Buzz)
Princess Pitt on July 06, 2011:
posterous is my favorite ! nice hub ! xx
Venkatesanndot on February 28, 2011:
Great sources. My search end here. Thanks.
zaap on January 29, 2011:
I am reading your article for long time. I am really impress to see this kind of list.....!
and to know, you are interested in various fields.
positivevibestech on January 11, 2011:
very good information thank you.
David on November 30, 2010:
That's a big list of sites i never knew even existed, i heard google brought jaiku. i have you tried voonee.com
Dallas W Thompson from Bakersfield, CA on October 17, 2010:
Flag up, and useful. An encyclopedia of knowledge. Thanks for the research.
Cassandra Mantis from UK and Nerujenia on April 09, 2010:
Cheers for an interesting hub here. I never heard of half of this lot! Wow! That's a lot of Microbloggers out there! : )
DevinG from Redlands on April 06, 2010:
That's quite a list. Thanks for this, I was curious about the microblogging sites that there are out there.. but I didn't want to sift through Google :p
save my system from United Kingdom - London on April 05, 2010:
Thanks for sharing this. I guess twitter is most popular micro blogging site. Reason behind the popularity of all this site is that they allow us to keep in touch with friends and express out thoughts with them. If you utilize it with efficiency then they are very good source to increase web traffic.
Audrevea on April 04, 2010:
WoW! Thanks so much for compiling this list.
Tamarind on March 27, 2010:
Wow, I did not know there were so many out there.
Azhar Kamar from Singapore on March 24, 2010:
Great list! Well done.
Peter Dickinson from South East Asia on March 07, 2010:
What an amazing array. One wonders why we really need so many. Thank you.
Swati on March 04, 2010:
Specially "BrightKite" and "tinySCRAP.com" are fantastic microblogging site to be a part of. Making friends and exploring different features is quite FUN in both these sites. Thanks for your information about all these sites.
Umakanta Beriha on March 01, 2010:
tinySCRAP.com is an AWESOME microblogging site. Thank you for recommending. Lot of features to explore and making friends and posting message is quite pleasurable. Thanks a lot.
skyfire on March 01, 2010:
Microblogging sites can be a good source of traffic and of course backlink if they allow dofollow(tumblr/identi.ca has dofollow).
Nice Hub anamika :)
AARON99 on March 01, 2010:
A great list as well as very helpful for neubies like me. Thanks for giving such an informative hub. Keep it up.
Sage Williams on February 28, 2010:
Hi Anamika, there are so many here that I am not familiar with. Thanks so much for this very important list. I will definitely bookmark and check some new ones out.
shazwellyn on February 28, 2010:
That's a great list of sites my friend! I shall be signing up to these soon.. bookmarked x
Anamika S Jain (author) from Mumbai - Maharashtra, India on February 27, 2010:
Thanks for all the visit and valuable comments. There are in fact more Twitter Alternatives and i have listed only 40 here. Would keep updating the list. Finding sites which suit our requirement can help a lot with our promotional activities.
quicksand on February 27, 2010:
I wasn't aware that there were 40 micro blogging sites. I guess the number will start growing. Anyway, I too have bookmarked it. Many thanks for the info.
syras mamun on February 27, 2010:
Great information Anamika.I have bookmarked it.Thanks a lot.
HubMania from India on February 26, 2010:
Hey your microblogging list looks great. It is really necessary at least for the first time.
Coolmon2009 from Texas, USA on February 26, 2010:
Thanks for sharing I will bookmark this one
chaitanyaviral from India on February 26, 2010:
I think you're still adding the list. But I was curious to see the list. I think I haven't heard of them most. So it's new to me. I am loving the entire list. Thanks for sharing it, as it may help me for my backlink building campaigns. Thanks a lot.