There is no doubt that we live in world which is presently dominated by Technology, mobile gadgets, electrical devices and other Information Technology materials. But the big question is whether the advents of these IT devices have done more good or harm to our society.
These electrical appliances could be very delicate and fragile that if not well taken care of may result to premature damage and unnecessary loss to an individual. Some of these IT and electrical devices include mobile phones, Personal computers, iPhones, Desktop, Digital camera, and all other IT-related household equipment.
The following are effective ways one can possibly take good care of these devices for optimum use and benefits. Here we go;
- Do not use device where it is not allowed or is prohibited such as hospitals, health care facilities because it may affect the performance of hearing aids
- Avoid the use of IT or electrical device close to where flammables or explosives are stored like in a gas/filling station, oil depot, chemical paint or pharmaceutical industry because it could result to increase in risk of explosion or fire.
- Do not store or transport any electrical device in containers together with flammable liquids, gases or explosives
- To reduce the risk of road accidents please do not use wireless devices while driving especially on highways or expressways.
- Be careful as to always observe local traffic laws and regulation by concentrating while driving because your first responsibility is to drive safely.
- Of course you must know that that one is not allowed to use any wireless or electronic device while flying in an aircraft. It does not only disrupt wireless network, it also presents a potential hazard to aircraft operation thereby endangering your life, the passenger’s life and other crew members aboard.
- Strong Signals from sophisticated wireless devices may pose a serious threat to the electronic systems of some motor vehicles; make sure to get more information on this about your vehicle from the manufacturers.
- When one acquires a new device, be careful to stop using the device and remove it from power supply while trying to connect or disconnect its cables to avoid electrocution.
- Avoid blocking device openings to enable it dissipate heat by making an available minimum space of 10cm around the device.
- Do not enclose or cover any device with clothes and other opaque objects or attempt to place the device in a container with poor heat dissipation such as a box or bag.
- Be wise to turn off every device during thunderstorms and remove all cables connected to it to protect against lightning strikes or possible electrocution.
- Always keep device away from dusty, damp or dirty environment which may result in circuit malfunctions when neglected.
- Do not keep any wireless or IT device close to any home appliances that generate strong magnetic or electric fields, such as a microwave oven or refrigerator.
- Ensure that one’s hands are always dry before and during an operation of any device, always avoid rain and moisture from coming in contact with your device.
- Always ensure that devices are kept in a cool and well-ventilated area away from direct sunlight.
- For some devices using unapproved or incompatible accessories such as power adapter, charger or battery may cause fire, explosion or other serious hazards. So be careful.
- But extreme temperature (heat or cold) may damage your device or its accessories. The ideal operating temperatures of most devices are between 0oC to 40oC while the ideal storage temperatures are -20oC to 60oC.
- When one observes that the device is overheated, do not panic rather power off and stop using the device or its accessories because when the skin is exposed to an overheated device over a long period of time, red spots and darker pigmentation may occur as a result.
- Do not connect battery poles of any device with conducting materials such as keys, pins, or any other metallic materials because the action may result to short-circuit of the battery and cause severe burns or fire injuries to the person.
- Battery electrolyte of some devices are harmful, so if a battery leaks this liquid ensure it does not come in contact with the skins or eyes.
- Battery deformation, change in colour or overheating could lead to fire or explosion while charging or in storage, in such cases immediately stop using the device, remove the battery and replace it with new one.
- Batteries of some sophisticated devices may explode if overheated, so ensure to keep batteries away from excessive heat or avoid placing it on heating devices like microwave ovens, stoves, or radiators in an attempt to boost it back to life.
- To clean any device or its accessories, power off, stop all applications and remove all cables connected to it; and then use a clean, soft and dry piece of white cloth yield an effective cleaning result.
- It is not advisable to use chemical detergents, powder, or other chemical cleaning agents (alcohol or benzene) while cleaning any device or its accessories because some of these cleaning chemical agents contain reactive compounds that can cause potential and permanent damage to parts of the device or present a possible fire hazard.
In case one observes any unusual occurrence (such as, if the device emits smoke, unusual sound or unpleasant smell) power off the device immediately and disconnect all its cables before proceeding to contact an authorized service centre or manufacturer.
It is important to note that most device and its accessories were not invented or intended for use by children. So therefore children are not allowed to come in contact with them without the supervision of an adult. Children or pets attempt always to bite or suck some of these devices which may possibly result to explosion or damage to both the child and the device itself.