Finding the Best 18-inch laptop backpacks
An 18-inch laptop is often both expensive and heavy. So whenever you need to transport it, you will need a bag that is both extremely sturdy and lightweight.
I think that whenever possible using a backpack makes more sense. These laptops are much bigger and heavier than other laptops, carrying them in a backpack makes sure the weight is distributed more evenly across your back and will cause less strain. In general, backpacks are more comfortable than most other laptop bag choices to schlep things, especially for long periods.
Whether you need to carry your laptop often or you prefer to keep your hands free when you do, there should be a rucksack that is just right for you.
Not surprisingly there is a limited selection of quality bags, but fortunately, I was able to find some great bags. When selecting our primary considerations were:
- The sturdiness,
- The convenience of use.
Other things we considered where:
- How well they looked aesthetically
- Any other extra features.
Sometimes using a backpack is just not suitable, and in those cases, it might be preferable to use a different type of bag or a convertible. If that is the case, then please check out "18-inch Laptop Bags."
Below we will be looking at some of the best 18 inch and 18.4-inch laptop packs available online.
Backpack or Another Laptop Bag
Thing to look for when selecting a good 18-inch backpack
When you need to buy a good large sized backpack, here are some things you need to keep in mind. An appropriate 18-inch laptop bag needs to be:
- Lightweight - 18-inch laptops are heavy. So one thing you don't want is a backpack that is heavier than it needs to be.
- Sturdy - Again because of the weight, the bag needs to be both sturdy and hardy. Nothing could be worse than the backpack suddenly breaking and damaging your laptop.
- The right fit - If unsure check the dimensions of your laptop to make sure it will fit inside the provided pocket.
- Big enough for extras - At the very minimum there should be enough room for the laptop as well the essential accessories. That is space for the power supply and cables.
- Aesthetics - How good the bag looks. Depending on who you are this might be a significant consideration or not. Either way, there is no doubt a beautiful looking bag is good to have.
- Comfort - This is something you should also consider, especially if you will be carrying the bag for long periods.
We were able to find five backpacks that met all or most of the criteria above.
All the backpacks featured in this article are well made. Some will even work well in professional situations. If you need a more professional look, you should take a look at some 18-inch laptop cases.
They are all easy to carry and made so that they are efficient and easy to use. The organizational features make it simple to keep everything well organized and secure to retrieve when needed.
Not surprisingly many of these models are also popular for people with 17-inch laptops, they make great 17-inch laptop backpacks.
Everki Beacon Laptop Backpack with Gaming Console Sleeve, Fits up to 18-Inch (EKP117NBKCT)
Best All Round 18-inch Laptop Backpack
The Everki Beacon Laptop Backpack with Gaming Console Sleeve is a solid bag that has been a favorite because of its style, quality, and comfort for many years now.
The backpack can fit most laptops with up to 18-inch screens. But, do check the dimensions of your laptop first as even some of the bulkier (deep) 17-inch ones may not fit.
The number of features of this laptop bag is incredible. The bag comes with a dedicated soft padded sleeve for the laptop, as well a gaming console sleeve for your Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, etc.
The main front compartment can open 180 degrees for full access. But, for quick access, there is an ingenious buckle system that allows you to open it partially.
On each side, it has one of the best quick access hip pockets I have ever seen. On the one side, you can put in a water bottle and close it snugly with just one hand. On the other side, there is a small organizational panel. There is a special hole thread through the earphones of your phone or media player using a tangle-free cable system.
The straps involve a unique 5-point balance strap system. This system makes it simple for you to fit the backpack comfortably across your back. So you are guaranteed a perfect fit whatever your size.
- Water resistant laptop backpack.
- There is a large main compartment with a removable gaming console sleeve.
- Dual handles for easy lifting.
- On the side is a hip pocket with quick access feature.
- The is an ergonomic back panel and adjustable shoulder straps to ensure maximum comfort.
- Also included are some additional front zippered pocket for small tools and accessories.
- The price might be on the high side for some.
- While it does accommodate most 18 inch laptops, the laptop sleeve is on the narrower side. Bulkier laptops, even some 17-inch laptops might not fit.
Everki Beacon Laptop Backpack with Gaming Console Sleeve Video Review. Well, Worth Watching!!
CoolBELL 18.4 Inch Water-resistant Laptop Backpack/Day Pack
Best 18 inch Laptop Backpack/Day Pack for Women and Good for Men Too!
The CoolBELL 18.4 Inch Laptop Water-resistant Backpack/Day Pack is one of the few in this size that is also suitable for women. But this is not the only thing that makes this laptop backpack stand out. It is a heavy duty, well-made bag that can carry a lot of pounds even daily without the stitches getting loose.
The bag incredibly spacious and can carry quite a lot of stuff. Even with over 30lbs packed, the bag is still incredibly comfortable. It comes with well-padded straps and the chest strap for extra support. You can carry large loads without straining your back and shoulders.
The laptop compartment is adjusted to fit laptops from as small as 13-inch to 18-inch. This makes sure your laptop fits snugly within the backpack and is well protected. It also means that anyone who has one the bulkier gaming laptops can adjust it so that it fits their laptop securely.
In general, there are plenty of pockets and compartments for you to organize your things. After the smaller front pocket, there is a section with a lot of smaller pockets for your mobile phone, cards, pens and more. The main part has the laptop compartment at the back and a smaller felt-lined pocket for a tablet. This section also has a lot of space for books, files clothes and a lot more.
On the side is a large bottle pocket that can hold most water bottles.
This daypack is genuinely water-resistant, even if you have to walk in the rain you the contents will remain dry.
Everki Titan Checkpoint Friendly Laptop Backpack Fits Up to 18.4-Inch Laptops (EKP120)
Best 18.4-inch Laptop Backpack
This is the second model made by Everki. The Everki EKP120 Titan Laptop Backpack is a stylish, unique bag made to fit even laptops as large as 18.4-inches.
This bag also has dedicated space for a gaming console. There is also more than enough space for all your cables, power supplies, and other accessories.
The construction is excellent with heavy duty materials, stitching, and zippers.
Each compartment has padding and is well-designed. Inside there are many pockets and organizational panels of all sizes in which to store your stuff. The High-contrast lining makes it easy to locate things.
The bag is checkpoint friendly. So, you do not have to take your laptop out when passing through airport security.
Apart from the laptop section, there are 2 other main compartments.
The front-most one has many well-organized zippered compartments of different sizes. At the bottom of this section is enough space for a few items of clothing. The smaller pockets that can be used for business cards, cell-phone, media player, pen loops, accessories etc.
The middle section has several dividers that you can use for files, documents, and other essential content. Here there is also a felt-lined pocket for a tablet. A nice extra is the accessories pouch that can be used to keep your cables neatly together.
This is an ideal backpack for personal and business travelers.
- A water-resistant weather cover to protect your laptop from rain, snow or dust.
- A separate padded and felt-lined pocket for iPad, Tablet or Kindle.
- 5 points balance strap system for maximum comfort.
- Adjustable and padded shoulder straps.
- Zippered media player pocket with headphone outlet.
- High-contrast lining
- Price is on the higher side.
- Even empty, the backpack is on the heavier side.
- The handle at the top is on the weaker side, considering the weight this backpack can pack.
Everki EKP120 Titan Checkpoint Notebook Backpack Review
Mobile Edge Alienware Orion M18x ScanFast Checkpoint Friendly Backpack
Designed for the Alienware Orion M18x 18.4 inch Laptop Backpack
The Mobile Edge Alienware Orion M18x ScanFast Checkpoint Friendly Backpack is an 18.4-inch laptop bag made especially for the Alienware Orion M18x. The bag is well rated and works well for most other 18-inch laptops as well.
With plenty of pockets and storage for everything you'll need, you can carry all you need for your laptop in one bag. Also comes with a handy clip connector for the two straps to fit anyone's shoulders.
This bag is probably the heaviest of all the backpacks reviewed here, but it does have a useful check-in feature for anyone flying with a computer.
- Dedicated and padded laptop compartment with maximum protection.
- Ergonomic and padded shoulder strap and back panel for maximum comfort.
- Lot’s of interior pockets for tools and accessories.
- Padded media player/cell-phone pocket with headphone outlet.
- Lifetime warranty.
- Not sturdy enough to use for a long time.
- Stitching quality may not good enough.
- Laptop compartment may be more padded.
Summary of the 18 inch computer backpack main features
|Laptop Backpack||Fits laptop size||Empty Weight|
Everki Beacon Laptop Backpack with Gaming Console Sleeve
Slappa Kampus 18-Inch Backpack for Laptop
Everki EKP120 Titan Laptop Backpack
Mobile Edge Alienware Orion M18x ScanFast Checkpoint Friendly Backpack
What do you think about these large laptop backpacks?
Tim Johnson from Bromsgrove on February 05, 2017:
Fred messenger is checkpoint friendly! https://coraandspink.co.uk/shop/fred-messenger-lap...
Andy on January 24, 2016:
Problem with these is even though it says "Checkpoint friendly" the bag itself is bigger than the TSA allows.
Jeison on January 09, 2015:
Caleb, I just found out about your cause, you are such a special lttile man and I know God has huge plans for you. Thank you for doing this, what an unselfish act of kindness, you have taught all of us grown ups a big lesson. Keep it up lttile fellow fellow I know you will achieve your goal. Big hug to you. God Bless You.
Melia on January 08, 2015:
Great thnniikg! That really breaks the mold!
thetravelgal (author) on March 18, 2014:
That is very true, it can be useful that the laptop backpacks look like any other backpack.
jtrader on March 13, 2014:
I think this is a more discreet way to carry a laptop in certain situations. It makes you less prone to theft too since thieves may not know what you are carrying.
Voted up and useful!
Sid Kemp from Boca Raton, Florida (near Miami and Palm Beach) on April 19, 2013:
Thanks, this is a good review. It would be great if you added a comparison table; included exact weights; named some precise differences related to the four points you mentioned, and also examined key durability features such as materials and double-stitching. Voted up and useful.