My Favourite Tattoos PLUS Lots Of Inspiration
I love the idea of using skin as a personal canvas for permanent art, and so I've created this page to display the best tattoos which I have found whilst browsing online galleries. Art is of course subjective so I'm sure people will disagree with some of my choices :-)
I have also listed a few links which I have found the best for browsing the most artistic tattoos and getting inspiration for your own. I like creative, classy and unique tattoos, and perhaps some with humor too.
I hope you enjoy my picks!
Floral Side Piece
Tips & Info
- What tattoo to get? People will always tell you to get a tattoo that means something to you, and I personally agree with that because I think it's a lot easier to become bored with an image that has no meaning. It obviously doesn't have to be a deep meaning; it could be your favorite song lyrics or something you've drawn yourself. When you have something in mind, print it, cut the design out and hold it onto the area where you want it to go to make sure you like the position. You could also draw the design onto yourself with washable pen to try to get used to having a mark on your skin. Give yourself time to consider the design and if you're not bored of the idea after at least a few months and you're absolutely sure, then go for it :)
It's definitely not a good idea to walk into a tattoo parlour when drunk or on a whim and choose a random flash image from the typical selection provided. Names are also tricky unless they are names of your kids - it's best not to choose boyfriend or girlfriend names. Also, if you are planning on getting something in another language, triple check that it means what you think it means!
- What about the pain? Tattoos are made by a needle repeatedly moving up and down against the skin, pushing ink down under the surface by about 1/16". The pain is likened to scratching sunburn or bee stings and although it may be completely bearable to start with you have to take into consideration that this can go on for hours depending on the size of the design. I wouldn't suggest getting a big tattoo first - check your pain barrier with a small one first.
The most painful places to have a tattoo are bony areas like the ribs, spine, collar bone or hip, as well as sensitive areas like the back of the knees or the inner elbow. Least painful should be the upper arm, bum, thigh and other fleshy areas. Different people have different experiences though.
- Getting the tattoo: The most important thing is finding the right artist. Recommendations from trusted friends and family are a good idea, and you should also visit as many as you can to check they are sanitary and friendly. Always check the artist's work very closely to make sure the quality is good. This is your time to become an art critic! You don't want to see bad art, or jagged rather than smooth lines. It's always a good idea to choose an artist who does tattoos in the style you want. For instance, some specialize in text, some in realistic images, some in fantasy or animals etc. Always eat a good meal and hydrate yourself before getting the tat. With regards to price, they usually cost at least $50, with the cost rising as the tattoo size gets bigger, or the artist gets more popular/renowned.
- Where to get the tattoo? Always think about the future when deciding on the position of your tat...and I don't just mean about what it will look like when you're older like most people will warn you about (although it's probably best not to put it anywhere that's going to sag too much!) The most important point to think about will be jobs. Tattoos on show are often disallowed in many jobs, and in job interviews they may prove a hindrance. You really don't want a tattoo to damage your career prospects, so even if right now you think you're going to be an artist forever so it doesn't matter where you have your tattoo, if you later decide to be a doctor/MP/model etc then it may be a problem.
If you are a woman who may want kids in the future, then it would be better to avoid tummy tats as they will stretch during pregnancy and distort the image.
Click here for a beginner's guide to getting a tattoo.
Top-Rated Tattoo Books
Geeky Hem-B Molecule
Camera Diagram Tattoo
Banksy Graffiti Tattoo
Tattoo Photo Galleries & Inspiration
- We Heart It
My favourite gallery for the most creative ideas.
- Women's Back Tattoos
Display of a wide range of designs.
- Geek Tattoos
For the nerds-at-heart.
- I LOVE TATTOO Group
Search for more tattoos in Flickr too for ideas.
- Impressive & Eye-Catching Tattoos
Lots of unusual and fun ideas.
- Typographic Tattoos
Lots of text tattoos with interesting backstories.
- Tattoos by Anyone
Blog displaying some great and unique ideas.
- Bird Tattoos
Inspiration for pretty bird designs.
- Amanda Wachob
Amazing tattoo art that looks like paint.
- F*** Yeah Tattoos
Thousands of tattoo pictures to look at.
- Fabric Inspired Designs
For sewers, crafters and those who love fabric.
- Make Art Into a Tattoo
A nice idea for a tattoo is a personal doodle, illustration or favourite piece of art.
- Science Themed Tattoos
Some fun ideas for super science geeks.
- Art is Forever
A set of art inspired doodles become tattoos.
Search through the huge collection of the best photos on the web.
- 60 Best Men's Tats in 2015
A neat collection of smart and modern examples.
- Hand Tattoos
Unusual finger tatts - I've not seen any like this before!
Comic Book Style
Get a Backbone
HTML Geek Tattoo
2 Colour Overlap Tat
Please Leave a Comment!
gloria on November 02, 2015:
Would like to see some more awesome tatoos
justice_32_shields on November 27, 2013:
I love this lens! :D
anonymous on June 14, 2013:
I am looking for a creative, unique, yet classy tattoo.
MasterDripper on May 11, 2013:
when I get my tattoo, I will write about it...incredible forms of art...cheers
rudene-watt on May 06, 2013:
tattoosbymike on May 03, 2013:
Ahhhhh... I just love this lens. The tattoos designs are awesome...
flowtat on April 12, 2013:
Dot-to-Dot is really oryginal tattoo. Nice :)
CraftyandClever from everywhere but mostly Cali on December 04, 2012:
love the ideas! I love looking at tattoos and their meaning plus when I have enough money I want to get one on my back.
anonymous on November 09, 2012:
@victel Then why did you come to a page to look at tattoos? Nobody is asking you to get one. Are your ears pierced? I think purposely made holes in the body are vile.
victoriahaneveer on November 09, 2012:
Ugh they are hideous! I don't understand why anyone would deface their body like that. The camera diagram is going to look stupid in 40 years too. I think you've made a great job of this lens. And it is nicely put together. But personally I think tattoos are vile.
rooshoo on November 07, 2012:
These are all really pretty designs. I especially like the dandelion.
CraftaholicVete on October 20, 2012:
I have 13 Tats and love them but my problem is I never want a tat where I have to look in a mirror to see it. I want to see it like everybody else, otherwise why get it if everybody else gets to see it but me. I love taking ideas for tats and creating wood-burned designs on boxes or plaques. Cool lens.
anonymous on October 12, 2012:
i also have a tattoo of skull but its not very good so i am gonna pick some of these, thanks for sharing
anonymous on October 10, 2012:
Looking for a great idea for a tattoo about 9 inches long symbolizing strength
ladyyummy on October 07, 2012:
Neat lens :) Check out my lens about tattoos too.
anonymous on September 26, 2012:
loved them all!!!!
KReneeC on August 04, 2012:
Wonderful lens! I have never seen tat's like some of these ever before! The dot to dot one was fantastic!
anonymous on July 30, 2012:
Pretty Neat Lens, I like the Bibliophile one. Thanks for sharing/
mrkensworld on July 10, 2012:
Some good stuff,, I really didn't like the pixelated one and would like to see the floral side piece finished. Great lens.. remember Squids be choosy on what you get.. it is painful and or expensive to cover up or remove these..
pcgamehardware on June 10, 2012:
Cool tattoo ideas, Thanks for sharing this.
I think the Dandelion tattoo is really cool.
Nice job. :)
angelsigh on April 17, 2012:
Great lens! Loved it :D
infiniti99 lm on April 08, 2012:
Very interesting.I'm 44 and I have been in the tattoo shop so many times I have no idea how I still don't have one.Anyway great lens very informative.
MelonyVaughan on February 29, 2012:
The comic book one is so realistic! It's great! Great lens!
MelonyVaughan on February 29, 2012:
The comic book one is so realistic! It's great! Great lens!
Pinguuu on February 22, 2012:
nice lens :) really cool tattoos :)
wisephoto on January 31, 2012:
Thanks for the great lens. You have given me some ideas for my next tat
davies86 on January 31, 2012:
some awesome tattoos
squid-pinkchic18 on January 26, 2012:
I love to look at tattoos but I don't think i could ever bear the pain to get one!
TattooBaron on November 24, 2011:
Great lens. Love a lot of the pics you have on here.
ironmonkey on October 08, 2011:
Great lens, just check you empty modules at the bottom
Philipuk1983 on August 19, 2011:
wow some of those are amazing, wish I had more skin :-P
Close2Art LM on August 10, 2011:
love the BANKSY piece on the arm, great lens..
Michelle77 LM on July 22, 2011:
I Love Art & Tatoos!! paint the world and everyone in it !! Love your lens :)
M_Leigh_Hood on July 19, 2011:
Creative and gorgeous! Actually makes me want one.
Eddron on June 23, 2011:
Love your lens! Great job.
Actiongames LM on May 31, 2011:
I love the dot to dot, and the digital hart vary koool
Frannybooboo on May 05, 2011:
Love the dot to dot!!
Mohprice on April 23, 2011:
Wow, I really wish i had a tattoo like that, they're so expensive though.