Joe Dirt had it right
The mullet is a hair style made popular in the 70's thanks to big stars like David Bowie and Florence Henderson. In later years the mullet really took off, incorporating a teased hair style with short fronts and long backs.
In recent times it has become a social taboo to wear a mullet, creating dissention and scorn for those who do sport this long-gone fad cut.
What makes a hair style classify as a mullet?
First, start with a full head of long hair. Then cut the front and sides short, but leave the back from the crown to the nape of the neck long. That's it, now you've got a mullet.
There are dozens of varieties of mullet, each with it's own sort of personality. Other types of mullets include:
- The 'skullet' - a style created by shaving the top and sides of your head but leaving the back long. Often accompanied by bushy sideburns.
- The Momullet - a style where the top of the head is shaved into a thick stripe, the sides of your head shaved also, but the back is left long. This style is the lovechild of a mohawk and a mullet.
- The 'chullet' - the term used to describe the abusive behavior of giving your child a mullet. Truly terrifying!
The mullet hair style took the entire country by storm, and held us in a bad hair death grip for years. Celebrities sported this horrible style and contributed to the disaster. Here are some of them:
- Chuck Norris -- Don't speak to him about his mullet. Each individual hair grants Chuck Norris a separate super power. His tears also cure cancer... too bad he doesn't cry.
- Billy Ray Cyruss -- Though he ditched the mullet years ago, the only thing he was more well-known for was his achy breaky heart.
- David Bowie -- Worn through his Ziggy Stardust period, Bowie was too cool to keep it, and waved bye bye to the mullet before the ball dropped bringing us into the 80's.
- Macguyver -- Who knew the guy who could make a bomb out of a bubble gum wrapper and a potato would sport such a thoughtless 'do?
- Michael Flatley -- Lord of the Dance, Lord of the Immobile Mullet.
Mullet Video Exhibit 1: Joe Dirt
Mullet Video Exhibit 2: Billy Ray Cyrus
johnlewis862 on June 10, 2008:
I've proudly worn a mullet since 1985. Despite all the comments, jokes etc. I stand firm in my choice of hairstyle
Cory Zacharia from Miami Beach, Florida on February 19, 2008:
LOL, I had never thought of Florence Henderson's do as a mullet, but yes, it is!
Joseph Addams from Standing right behind you! on February 19, 2008:
Best mullet ever? David Spade's in Joe Dirt. (Great Hub!)
Kiz Robinson (author) from New Orleans, Louisiana on February 19, 2008:
Shhh, I'll tell you guys a secret. Before I had my hair cut like my profile pic I totally had the beginning of a mullet. I looked like a redneck, I swear to God I did.
RFox on February 19, 2008:
hahahahaha...this hub is awesome!! Oh the glory days of the mullet. ;)
Stacie Naczelnik from Seattle on February 19, 2008:
Dude, I love checking out mullets! You have to give us more pictures. Make a Part Two! Please?