Versace, Gucci, Prada ... the names that we hear announced as models walk down the runway are all too often Italian names or the names of other designers who have made their careers in Europe. There is no denying that there are amazing fashion designers in Italy and throughout the rest of Europe. But it shouldn't go unnoticed that there are also some really amazing - and well-known - fashion designers working right here in the United States.
Here is a brief look at ten of the best American fashion designers:
- Marc Jacobs is a fashion designer who is well-known for his work with the French fashion house Louis Vuitton. However, Marc Jacobs is an American fashion designer who has produced lines of clothing out of New York which are well-respected in the industry. The fact that he's gone international just points to the truth that there are some great American designers.
- Vera Wang is an American fashion designer who is best known for her wedding dress collections. Hers is the kind of name that gets regularly mentioned in pop culture (think Sex and the City or Lipstick Jungle and you'll think Vera Wang). She is also embedded in the culture of Hollywood because of the fact that she has made wedding dresses for a number of celebrities including Mariah Carey, Jennifer Lopez and Sharon Stone.
- Oscar de la Renta is one of those fashion designers that many people have no idea where he came from. He was originally born in the Dominican Republic and he has worked in fashion design all over the world. He is famous for some of the fashion design work that he did throughout Europe. However, if you have to get down to the basics, he is actually an American designer since his citizenship is here.
- Calvin Klein is a brand name that has changed a lot of the years. It was first launched as a line of coats for both men and women. It became famous as a brand of jeans that were high-end and oh-so-hot. And these days when you look at a Calvin Klein billboard you are probably going to see a super attractive model in Calvin Klein underwear. Throughout all of these changes, Calvin Klein has remained an American brand name.
- Kate Spade is one of the trendiest young designers out there. She is best known for her line of handbags but what is really cool about Kate Spade is that she's got accessories and raincoats and personal organizers and makeup and even a home furnishings collections. She's a do-it-all kind of gal for those DIY girls out there. And she was born in Middle America, working now out of New York.
- Ralph Lauren is best known for his Polo collection but he's produced a lot of different designs that always get attention because he is a leading international designer. He is also a designer that works from America and his brand is an American brand. He has over thirty five boutique stores that carry his clothing all over different parts of the United States.
- Anna Sui is a fashion designer that we sometimes forget is an American designer because of the fact that her designs are so popular all throughout the world. She has boutiques in a number of different countries and her work is particularly well-known and well-liked in Japan. However, despite this international appeal of her work, Anna Sui is very much an American designer. She was born in Michigan and has had a highly popular boutique store in Los Angeles for more than ten years. In addition to clothing design, Anna Sui has dabbled in shoe design and a fragrance collection.
- Donna Karan is the "DK" in the famous American fashion brand "DKNY". She was born in New York and continues to work in aspects of the company that she spent years developing. Her brand is recognized all around the world and is particularly popular here in the United States.
- Todd Oldham is a fashion designer born in Texas; what's a more American place than that? He is a unique designer whose most famous work might be the line of clothing that he produced in conjunction with the Batman Forever movie. In addition to his fashion design experience, he has experience in design for the home.
- Bill Blass is one of the most famous fashion designers to have ever come out of America and he came right from the heart of the country - Indiana. He has won numerous awards throughout the years for his many designs and even attained a lifetime achievement award at the end of the twentieth century. He died of cancer in 2002 but his designs continue to be important and influential to the industry to this day.
These are just ten of the famous American fashion designers who have done a lot of their best work in America. What they have in common is not just that they are from the United States but that they have chosen to continue to keep their brand an American brand even though they have gained international attention. They may have fans and boutique stores and even additional jobs in other countries but all of these fashion designers remain, at heart, American fashion designers.
In addition to these famous names, there are also thousands of independent fashion designers working in America today. Head to any major urban area in the United States and you will find it easy to find small clothing stores where creative people are putting their clothing designs on the rack for sale to others who like their style. This independent business spirit thrives in America and it allows for the American fashion design scene to differ greatly from the fashion scene of European and other countries throughout the world. The famous American designers cited above are people who give credibility to the American fashion scene but it is all those people working behind the scenes and on a smaller level who really drive the American fashion world!
- Category:American fashion designers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- American Fashion Designers
- Designers A-Z
- CFDA.com | Council of Fashion Designers of America
- American Fashion Designers @ Suite101.com
- American Fashion Awards '00
Julian Juarez on March 20, 2019:
And in Mexico we have great designers too. Look at the Zelcus' store: https://zelcus.com/tienda Moda mexicana
Debra Hargrove from North Carolina on September 02, 2015:
Just love the picture choice at the top of your article. Very nice information thanks for sharing.
Simone on January 05, 2015:
I am working with some blog frednis on our Hop to It quilt right now. It's such a pleasure and we are enjoying that journey together!One of the things on my bucket list is to travel Europe. I've never been across seas before and that is definitely something I want to do in the near future. A little closer to home, I would love to go to Hawaii. Never been there before either, but have been to every state in the continental U.S. and lived in many of them!I am so looking forward to your new book. I have all the other and you inspire all of us!Blessings to you and your family and especially to your daughter as she heads off to college. Those moments are rough on us moms
Kailan on January 04, 2015:
A little rationality lifts the quality of the debate here. Thanks for coirnibuttng!
Naomi Starlight from Illinois on July 25, 2014:
Great article! I'm an aspiring fashion designer/student in Chicago, and other American trendsetters are a great inspiration for me.
babar waseem on December 29, 2013:
Bessie kanu on December 13, 2013:
Ralph lauren is the best
;laksdjdhf on May 13, 2013:
i have three of the books their a lot of fun!
Alice on April 20, 2013:
Good article! I visited many sites, only the clear expression in addition to the author's experience. Read your article, I learned a lot of knowledge. I solved many puzzling riddle. Thank you for your sharing.
miley on April 16, 2013:
klass and super!!!!!!!!!!!
jagoda on December 22, 2012:
just its great... i love it
Watch For Girl http://www.watchforgirl.com/
سوسو on October 31, 2012:
hi on September 29, 2012:
Finally, an issue that I am passionate about. I have looked for information of this caliber for the last several hours. Your site is greatly appreciated
Anjo Bacarisas II from Cagayan de Oro, Philippines on August 06, 2012:
The designer did a bang-up work... The outputs are very wonderful, attention-getting designs! :)
lafemmetopaz on June 07, 2012:
This a list of current american designers? If so, I'm puzzled at Todd Oldham being on the list. If you're talking about american designers of all time, your list has to include Halston. Halston is one of the best designers in the ever. I'll have alongside YSL. Simplicity was the trademark of Halston's creations and he created "casual chic". What he designed in 1974 is fashionable, elegant and chic today.
Faysal khan on May 30, 2012:
I went worke with you.pleas give me chang...
onlineshoppingshop.net on May 14, 2012:
Get Your own outfit from best designers at onlineshoppingshop.net
shoeclub from New York City on May 02, 2012:
Definitely agree with your list. I am a big fan of Marc Jacobs too!
succesful on April 27, 2012:
It`s nice to be important.It`s more important to be nice. traditional weeks are the best.
anna31 from Sydney Australia on April 26, 2012:
I design patterns for fashion, using graffiti,(street art)all young aspiring designers need to check them out, new style patterns the future for fashion.
Anna Kingston on April 18, 2012:
I especially love Kathryn Vercillo's design and Trend Emilio pucci Milan.The're amazing!
marian on April 12, 2012:
vera wang is soo good!
mayur patel on March 29, 2012:
i love in fasion design
and my hobbies is always make a new fasion for my choiceeeeeeeeee...........
banu on March 12, 2012:
hey guys :-;
i love this website!!!!!!!!!!!
this is cool and so coooooooooool
love you guys
israeli fashion on February 28, 2012:
hi, what do u think about the israeli fashion??
this is a link for a great fashion store...
you should try it!!
lowe valentini on February 10, 2012:
unmistakably one of the most amazing thoughtful human beings on this planet and pertaining to his ideas in designer clothing brilliance. you must wear lowe vallentini clothing to even begin to understand what he has done. and YES he as well should on the list.
000c8 on February 06, 2012:
these r really cool people...i always wish they'd come and help design something 4 me but i already design something for myself . (:
victoria on January 26, 2012:
can you tell me something about fashion?
victoria on January 26, 2012:
are you a fashion desingers?
nav on January 13, 2012:
I LOVE FASHION DESIGNERS
china on December 21, 2011:
I love Tory Burch!
toris dunning on December 08, 2011:
marc jacobs the best
fitcustomshirt from Canada on November 23, 2011:
Fantastic hub. As people are getting more and more brand conscious, it is better to be aware of top designers. It will make easy to find details at one place.
Arianna Greene on October 26, 2011:
Thank-you so much for posting this! This really helped me a lot with my new list article I'm writing. And you turly know your stuff, you fashion like the back of your hand. Again, thank-you so much, you don't know how you have helped me out.
wierd dude on October 24, 2011:
cynthia on October 21, 2011:
i love celvin he's a good guy and he knows what he is doing
asadtahzeeb on October 07, 2011:
my dream become a designer u all r great
i like this.============
beauty products online
Boris Guzman on October 04, 2011:
THAT'S WRONG ..WALK TO fashion? What's the harm has walk to fashion?, is what many will ask and the truth i don't see anything wrong with that so long and when that fashion does not damage the image of God in your life, much less make you give bad testimony in addition fashion not uncomfortable, but if it is misinterpreted
Tiffany 12 on October 04, 2011:
Hey anyone out their have advice about fashion designing? One day I plan to be a fashion designer-im 12 i love to draw and when i get a cool piece of clothing in my mind i HAVE to put it on paper- Thhankz!!
Cariea on October 04, 2011:
Omg you are forgetting Lady Zofi Laube!
prapti on October 01, 2011:
tiffany on September 24, 2011:
you guys(everybody) are awesome!
deshu on September 19, 2011:
my dream become a designer u all r great
lllll on September 12, 2011:
dahvana on September 10, 2011:
i love it
Free Submission Articles on August 31, 2011:
Submit free articles best usa articles all type articles music articles love articles female articles
J on August 25, 2011:
Michael Kors? Giorgio Armani..?
Although those 10 are really great ! ^^
justme on August 23, 2011:
not a single one I'd like. who on earth is todd oldham? kate spade is barely known outside the us, same for sui and blass.
Brianna W from East Coast on August 05, 2011:
Love this hub! Inspiration at its best since my major has always been fashion design and marketing.
ai-ethel on July 21, 2011:
what about Bob Mackie?
phashion foto on July 19, 2011:
very good...did not know Anna was from MI. good to know
Judeal. on June 22, 2011:
Anything in Knits fashion designing , please contact
i love choclate on May 20, 2011:
i love the clothes
innocentboy on May 15, 2011:
Yulis Samoa on March 08, 2011:
DONNA KARAN & CALVIN KLEIN...! Always be in my heart :)
Tallmans Clothing on February 28, 2011:
I have seen a very nice post. i really like this post. This post provides us very good knowledge about fashionable clothes . This is a very amazing post.
not telling on February 17, 2011:
my new to sitshues dogs are coming this week well tomorrow and they need a name we want a famous usa desighner's name got any ideas it has to be really really good!!!!!!
stanzza on February 11, 2011:
well these all 10 are doing very good job. but i like the Marc Jacobs very much. his coloring and quality of stuff always attracts me.
Teri on January 30, 2011:
Uh, Isaac Mizrahi!!!! Why his name isn't on here? And you have Tom Oldham and not Tom Ford on here. What's up with that? Nicole Miller. I mean, i can go on and on. Redo this list please!
mesia on January 27, 2011:
love all designers' American.. to Pairs... love them all ? why so many white designers don't use black models'.. why can you answer that?
Clara Eisler on January 26, 2011:
Good hub. I didn't realize Oscar de la Renta was an American.
lois on January 26, 2011:
SOOOOOOOOOO LOVELY!IL LOVE TO BE A DESIGNER
Hegurka on January 21, 2011:
mysisters on January 14, 2011:
Nice Hub. This is a great top 10 list of fashion designers. All of their designers are amazing and so different in comparison to each other.
CECEE on December 09, 2010:
I model as a hobby and get paid for it sometimes I LUV Fashion with a Passion...
caroline on November 17, 2010:
I LOVE HOLLISTER
Fashion Magazine on November 13, 2010:
Good collection of fashion designers biography. Upload the collection of latest dresses images at www.pakistanfashionmag.com for free.
Ross on November 06, 2010:
I love American Capitalism Jeans
realtorcards on October 27, 2010:
Wow! What a great blog :)
tw427 on October 09, 2010:
This is really good hub, I appreciate the effort and how informative it is. Thank you!
jahangir Alam on September 19, 2010:
lots of optionals i have plz contact with me
The Stylist from Canada on August 28, 2010:
People are forgetting to say ALEXANDER MCQUEEN!!!!
Check out my Fashion Hubs at Haute Blog
someone on July 08, 2010:
i like cheese people designs are pretty
erin on July 01, 2010:
i know a girl Cecilia cassini and she is 10 !!!! and she desves to be on this list :)
couponalbum from Sunnyvale, CA on June 26, 2010:
Hi Kathryn! I liked your choices, but I think "Ed Hardy" by Christian Audigier also deserves to be there in this list. Well! It was just a suggestion.
W4W Toronto from Toronto on June 14, 2010:
Need to do a part II :)
Ana on June 07, 2010:
Yesmen on May 20, 2010:
What about MICHAEL KORS? Went to high school with him :)
kuku ajmal on May 06, 2010:
hi i'm kuku...and i had a fashion project which my 1 main reason in it is famous fashion designers and when i ckecked out this it really really helpe me tx alt....
beelzenasmo on May 03, 2010:
can someone tell me some like famous american or english fashon designers?? I need someone to do for a danm project at school. x.x Anyone would be appreciated. >:)
Carrie L Cronkite from Maine on April 09, 2010:
Very nice and interesting article!
FashionFame from California on March 29, 2010:
Great hub Kathryn. I like your choice of fashion designers.
valeria on March 12, 2010:
i love all american designers
Annabelle on January 27, 2010:
i appreciate the work of the fashion designers..like christian dior.............
prabhash on January 26, 2010:
i love to wear Calvin Klein .
Fashion4urtaste from New Jersey on January 15, 2010:
Md. Helal Hossain on December 18, 2009:
I like american design. I hope they will lead in whole world
Mike. G. on December 17, 2009:
RL#1 everything after Ralph is just playing the part of a bridesmaid.
angi on December 02, 2009:
tina151 on November 29, 2009:
my "fave" has to be Marc Jacobs
lorena.br on November 13, 2009:
Like your article :)But my absolute fav designer is Valentino
charisaslenker on October 22, 2009:
wendybrausch on October 21, 2009:
Great selection - a favorite of mine is Mariano Fortuny - not American I know, but brought a lot of change to the fashion industry and had influence on the likes of Mary McFadden
Ify Egesi on October 18, 2009:
I love fashion so i like all the designers,as a fashion designer dat i want to be. i can draw inspiration from them all,
ASHLEY FORCE on October 12, 2009:
Great article. I love all them. Especially Marc!
iwhcpanties on October 03, 2009:
I like those designers, but some designers out there really need to get back to a real fashion sence of what people really wear and can afford. As I see some of the fashion shows I have never seen most of those styles walking down the street or out on the town for the night. Unless you are rich, crazy or on drugs and cannot dress themselves properly.
perfumelover on September 24, 2009:
This is a solid list! I'm glad you have Bill Blass up there! He's oft overlooked, and his fashions and perfumes are definitively a serious part of American fashion traditions. Cheers!
Sue on September 03, 2009:
What about Tommy Hilfiger, isn't that big in the US?
PerfumeFan from New Jersey on July 03, 2009:
I like RL and Ed Hardy for casuals. Great hub!
India Evans on June 10, 2009:
Hey when i grow up i want to be a famous fashion designer i have tons of notebook with designs in them and my grandmother taught me how to sew so when i get the material i`m going to start my cothing line India`s fun fashion and don`t dare try to take/steal me name.