When I see someone with a beard, my two first thoughts are, what are they hiding? And what do they really look like?
Growing up in London in the 1970s and 80s, the only people wearing beards were either professors, lumberjacks, hippies and tramps (hobos). And not forgetting Jesus Christ and Santa Claus!
Fast-forward to the millennium, and beards have become the coolest and most fashionable thing to wear. Partly, from celebrities (beard wearers) who have inspired this hairy craze, as well as hipsters, the modern-day hippies.
I have to confess, I have never grown more than 'stubble' on my face. Any longer than that and my face will itch, and I don't feel clean or hygienic. You may be thinking! What qualifications or right do I have to write this article if I've never grown/owned a beard!?
My reply. It's the equivalence of a scientist who is very knowledgeable about cancers and what it's like to live and suffer from cancer without actually having cancer.
And, I have lived with and listened to enough men (and women) to know what life is like living with, and without facial hair.
The Pros of Facial Hair
"Beards can hide a multitude of sins".
"Where there's a pro, there has to be a con, and for me, the cons far outweigh the pros."
Save Time and Money
- If you don't groom your beard and choose to let it grow wild, you will save time and money by not having to buy shavers/razors, shaving cream and aftershave. However, you won't save time and money if you spend the same amount of time grooming your beard - and the same amount of money buying beard grooming products.
- The hair on your face will keep you warmer similar to the hair on your head.
- Transform the way you look: You don't just grow a beard, you grow a personality.
- Beards can turn a boy into a man and transform a bland looking man into a sexy beast, and transform a smooth-skinned sexy beast into a sexier beast.
- Beards can make a man look older which is a pro and con.
- Carefully grooming can reshape uneven or too big lip sizes.
- Men are more attractive than those without a beard...unless you don't like, or have a phobia of bearded men. (Pogonophobia)
- Beards can reshape the shape of your face depending on how its groomed. With careful grooming, a beard can turn a round face to an oval-shaped face which has been scientifically proven to be more attractive than a round face. Round faces have been scientifically proven to be more aggressive.
- Beards are a great way of hiding illegal things, especially drugs or rolled-up banknotes, razor blades, lock-picking tools and even a 'small lipstick pistol' can be concealed in a bushy beard. Have you ever seen a police officer search a suspects beard when they are being searched? Not me!
- Conceals facial tattoos. I remember a guy who had a swastika tattoo he regretted having which was hidden under his beard.
- Hair in the right place will hide a large Adams apple and double chin/chins. And very long beards will cover up a saggy turkey neck
- Beards are great if you're entering a 'face-slapping competition'. The bushier the better to help cushion the slaps, and yes, a bearded person won Russia's 2019 contest.
- I knew this drug addict who had hollow cheeks and looked unwell. The next time I saw him, he looked very well, although he was still a drug addict with hollow sunken cheeks which were not visible with his new beard!
- Change of identity for wanted bearded criminals who want to hide their identity by shaving their beard to become a smooth skinned criminal. For a quicker disguise, you use a false beard!
- Beards are a great way to hide shame and embarrassment (red-faced cheeks).
- Just as much as people use long hair to cover-up big ears and large foreheads, facial hair can be used to conceal double or treble chins, spots, scars, lumps and bumps. Even I would be sporting a beard if my face was covered in some type of medical facial problem.
- Facial disfigurements which are caused by diseases and infections can be concealed with a beard.
- Beards act as a natural sunscreen, keeping a man's faces youthful, not that you will be able to see under all that hair!
- Beards hide dimples (a pro and con) depending on what you or the ladies prefer.
- No chance of injuring yourself with a razor nick or cut from shaving.
- Hides butt-chins, although some women may find them sexy.
- For anyone unlucky to be born with a cleft lip and palate, facial hair is an ideal way to conceal this.
The Cons Of Facial Hair
"How many men would like to perform cunnilingus on a hairy woman!"?
"A beard can make men look more aggressive and more dominant which can be a pro and a con, depending on how the wearer feels about it."
Hides Facial Expressions
- The human face has dozens of facial expressions which help to communicate and reveal what they are thinking and feeling. Some will be hidden by facial hair, so it will be harder to tell exactly what every emotion, feeling and other expressions bearded men are expressing.
- Bearded men look similar to each other. (Maybe that's just me!)
- Deaf people who need to lip-read have told me that it's hard for them to understand what very hairy bearded people are saying!
- Any bearded person will tell you they keep it clean and wash it regularly, but that still does not mean a beard will remain clean for very long. Any beard placed under the microscope will have sweat, foods, drinks and spit, bacteria, faecal and urine particles in it. And it has been scientifically proven that 50% of beards have traces of faecal matter in them. And sorry, no one can tell me (a smooth operator) any different! Similar to 'carpets and curtains' being more unhygienic than 'flooring and roller blinds'. And how a 'bald head' is cleaner and more hygienic than a 'hairy head', and harder to clean. That's why taking extra care of a beard is vital to keep bacteria at bay.
- I see far too many people stroking their beards than smooth-skinned people stroking their bare face!. This is because they are wiping their sweaty hands on it and two, because it itches!
- Men's beard's could make facemasks uselessas mentioned by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, which is not ideal during a virus pandemic.
- A fire hazard, especially if barbecuing, or re-lighting hand-rolled cigarettes (joints). Or for anyone taking up fire breathing!
- Common complaints from women who've kissed men with facial hair: "I've got beard burn from making out with a bearded man". "I find men with moustaches, or upper lip stubble, very uncomfortable to kiss". "Kissing men with stubble feels like sandpaper against my skin". While others say, "I absolutely love it."
- Nobody wants to see hair in their food, that's why people with beards are supposed to wear a beard net (depending on your local food safety laws and regulations)
- If you want to become a professional wrestler, the committee recommends wrestlers to have facial hair of up to a half-inch as long. If the beard is too thick, the wrestler will be required to cover up the facial hair using a non-abrasive facial covering or a face mask. (unless they have a legitimate reason to have facial hair)
"A beard is technically pubic hair on your face."
Men’s Beards Carry More Harmful Germs Than Dogs
Are Men "And" Women Designed to Have a Beard?
You would think so, but just because humans naturally grow hair, does not mean we should never cut it or allow it to grow wild and free as nature intended! Because if we thought like that, surely, we would let our finger and toenails grow freely without keeping them trimmed.
As for females, some can grow facial hair more than others as a result of a hormonal imbalance. This could be because they have been exposed to high levels of testosterone or lower levels of estrogen throughout their life.
In some cases, a rare genetic disorder known as 'hypertrichosis' (excessive hair growth), can make women grow beards as easily as men for no medical reason at all, or due to hereditary reasons. (as seen in the video below)
Bearded Lady - Rose Geil
"Kissing a man with a beard is a lot like going to a picnic. You don't mind going through a little bush to get there." Quote by American comedian, Minnie Pearl.
Bare-Faced Bearded Facts
- Hans Nilsen Langseth from Norway was fondly known as the 'King of Whiskers' had the longest beard in the world which measured in at 17-feet and 6-inches long. The women with the longest beard is bearded lady Rose Geil.
- Movember, run by the 'Movember Foundation' takes place every November to raise awareness of men's health.
- The 'Facial Hair Society' have a Facebook group brought together by their love of facial hair.
- In the Victorian era, they were obsessed with air quality, so doctors prescribed beards to act as a filter.
- In 1535, King Henry VIII of England (a beard wearer) introduced a tax on beards and forcibly shaved those who refused to pay. Emperor Peter I of Russia decided to follow suit in 1698 by making beard wearers carry a token.
- Sikhs refrain from cutting their hair and beards out of respect for the God-given form.
42 Famous People With and Without Beards
The Real Pros and Cons of Face and Body Tattoos? I have two tattoos, the name of a girlfriend and a religious cross. She is no longer my girlfriend, and I am no longer religious!
© 2020 Compu-Smart
Ralph on May 19, 2020:
My wife said my facial hair hides my face! I am not entirely positive if that's a pro or con!
Compu-Smart (author) from London UK on April 16, 2020:
As long as you're not too lazy to clean it, then all is good!:)
Eric Dierker from Spring Valley, CA. U.S.A. on April 14, 2020:
A fun read. I am just too lazy to shave.