When I see someone with a beard, my first two thoughts are, what are they hiding? And what do they really look like?
Facial Hair Vs Clean-Shaven - To Beard or Not to Beard!
Growing up in London in the 1970s and 80s, the only people wearing beards were either professors, lumberjacks, hippies, and tramps (hobos). Aswell as those who had neglected their appearance because of personal issues.
And not forgetting the world's most famous beard wearers, Jesus Christ and Santa Claus!
Fast-forward to the millennium, and beards have become the coolest and most fashionable thing to wear. Partly, inspired by beard-wearing celebrities, as well as hipsters, the modern-day hippies (but not exactly the same culture, beleifs and lifestyle).
I have also lived with a beard, and lived with enough men with beards to know exactly what life is like living with, and without facial hair.
Facial hair is not just about men!. Some women are also capable of growing facial hair, and have embraced it (see further down the page)
Table Of Contents
- The Pros of Facial Hair
- The Cons of Facial Hair
- Men’s Beards Carry More Harmful Germs Than Dogs (Video)
- Bearded Lady - Rose Geil (Video)
- Why do some females have more facial hair than others?
- Bare-Faced Bearded Facts
- 42 Famous People With and Without Beards (VIdeo)
- Jokes About Beards.
- The Great American Beard and Moustache Championship (Video)
- Famous Quotes About Beards
The Pros of Facial Hair
Save Time and Money
- There's no need to buy or use shavers, razors, shaving cream and aftershave. (cons; with facial hair, grooming products can be just as or more expensive)
- You don't just grow a beard, you grow a personality.However; there is a very thin line between looking butch, and looking unkempt!
- Beards can turn a boy into a man, and a man (with correct grooming) into a better-looking man. Researchers found that men felt "more masculine" with a beard.
- Women think men are more attractive than those without a beard...unless they don't like, or have a phobia of bearded men. (Pogonophobia)
- Beards can make.e men look older, which can be a pro and con
- Transform the way you look. With careful grooming and the right length of beard, you can change the shape of your face to give you a prominent looking jawline. (as shown below)
Up to 50% of a man's face can be hidden behind hair!
- I knew this drug addict who had sunken hollow cheeks. The next time I saw him, he looked very well. Unfortunately, he was still a drug addict, with facial hair hiding his sunken hollow cheeks.
- Change of identity; Ideal for wanted 'bearded criminals' who want to hide their identity by shaving their facial hair. Also ideal for 'smooth-skinned criminals' who will grow facial hair as a form of disguise.
Hide A Multitude Of Sins... And Things
- Conceal tattoos. This guy I knew had a swastika tattoo on his cheek he later regretted. He still has it but it's concealed under his beard.
- A 'long bushy' beard will hide a large Adam's apple, double, treble, and large chins — and cover up a saggy turkey neck.
- Beards are a great way to hide shame and embarrassment (red-faced cheeks).
- Bushy beards are great for hiding illegal things in, especially drugs, pills, rolled-up banknotes, flick knives, razor blades, lock-picking tools, and even a pistol (images below) can be concealed/tied on to beard hairs/strands. Have you ever seen a police officer search a suspect's beard when they are being searched?
- My Jamaican friend always kept his cash in his socks, a ciggy behind his ear, an afro comb sticking out of his hair, and a pre-rolled spliff hidden in his dreadlocks. Lord knows what he had hidden in his beard!
- Just as much as people who wear long hair to cover up their big ears and long fringes to hide large foreheads, facial hair can be used to conceal spots, scars, lumps, and bumps. Even I would be sporting a beard if my face was covered in some type of medical facial problem.
Health & Beauty
- For anyone unlucky to be born with a 'cleft lip' or 'cleft lip and palate', a beard and mustache are ideal for concealing this.
- Don't bother with expensive lip fillers and lip reduction procedures to reshape (or hide) large or small lips, when a carefully groomed beard and mustache can do the job much cheaper.
- Beards act as a natural sunscreen, keeping a man's face youthful. Not that you'll be able to see or feel under all that hair!
- Beards and mustaches (the bushier the better) can help trap dangerous particles and pollutants similar to a filter. Including nitrogen dioxide from vehicles. Pollen, dust, and other dangerous particles. But just like filters, they need to be cleaned regularly.
- Beards hide dimples (a pro and con) depending on what you or others prefer!
- No chance of injuring yourself with a razor nick or cut from shaving.
- The hair on the face will keep you warmer in the winter, similar to the hair on your head. cons; not so good on hot summer days.
- A beard can make men look aggressive and dominant which can be a pro and a con, depending on how the wearer feels about it.
- If you're well known for having an impressive beard, you could get family and friend's to sponsor you, before shaving it off for charity.
- Beards are great if you're entering a 'face-slapping competition'. The bushier the beard will help to cushion the slaps.
Where there's PROS, there has to be CONS, but do the cons outweigh the pros
The Cons Of Facial Hair
Hides Facial Expressions
- The human face has more than 10,000 facial expressions, many of them help to communicate and reveal what we are thinking and feeling. it is harder to tell what all the emotions, feelings, and other expressions a full face of hair is expressing.
- Beards and mustaches that cover the lips make it extreamly hard or almost impossible for people who have difficulty in hearing to fully understand what they're saying.
Potential Danger - Health
- Men's beards could make facemasks useless, as mentioned by the 'Center for Disease Control and Prevention', which is not ideal during a pandemic.
- If using flammable grooming products, long beards can be a fire hazard, especially if barbecuing, or re-lighting hand-rolled smokes. "Do you Remember the Time' when Michael Jackson’s hair caught fire while filming a Pepsi commercial, because of the flammable hair products he used!
- Be cautious of sparks when using a metal grinder.
- Very long beards have a greater risk of being accidently caught up in moving parts of machinery, similar to the dangers of wearing a long tie or scarf near moving parts.
- Facial hair is not ideal if you want to take up the profession of a fire-breather!
- During a fight, some women love pulling hair, so bald men with long beards... beware!
- When eating and drinking, it can be challenging when consuming messy foods and beverages.
- Any bearded person will tell you they "keep it clean and wash it regularly", but that still does not mean a beard will remain clean for very long. Any beard placed under the microscope will have sweat, foods, drinks, spit, bacteria, faecal and urine particles in it. And it has been scientifically proven that 50% of beards have traces of faecal matter. My analogy; it's much easier to clean 'flooring and window roller blinds', than it is to clean 'carpets and curtains'. Meaning, a bald head is easier to clean and more hygienic than a hairy head. Men without beards are not called 'clean-shaven' for nothing! That's why taking extra care of a beard is vital to keep bacteria at bay. Dr Bobby Buka, a section chief at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine said about beard hair, "beard hair is similar to the pubic hair".
More 'Cons' continued below
Men’s Beards Carry More Harmful Germs Than Dogs
- Common complaints from women who've kissed men with facial hair: "I get a beard burn from making out with you". "your lips are hard to kiss with your bushy mustache". "Kissing you with stubble feels like sandpaper against my skin". While others say, "I love it" and "a hairy face always tickles my fancy".
- Nobody wants to see hair in their food, and with 30,000 beard hairs on the face of the average male, that's 30.000 more reasons why people with beards who work with food should be required to shave or wear a beard and hair net.
- If you want to become a professional wrestler, the committee (depending on your location) recommends that wrestlers have facial hair up to a half-inch long. Wrestlers with thick beards are required to cover up their facial hair using a non-abrasive facial covering or a face mask. (unless they have a legitimate religious reason to have facial hair).
- When the face is covered with hair, it's practically impossible to tell if you have a rash or other skin condition you can't see or feel.
- If you have suffered a serious accident and injured your face, the nurse/surgeon will struggle to evaluate or treat the injury until they remove the hair which will be time-consuming, and painful.
- Waking up every day and trying to deal with your 'messy morning hair' is one thing. Now you'll have to contend with dealing with a 'messy morning beard'.
- Regular shaving exfoliates the skin by removing dead skin cells from the surface to makes it harder for dead skin to buildup and cause breakouts.
- "Itchy" is word often used by beard wearers.
- People with long beards need to be extra careful of (ouch!) clothing zips! (we've all been there with our body hair!)
Why do some females have more facial hair than others?
This is a result of a hormonal imbalance. It could be because they have been exposed to high levels of testosterone or lower levels of estrogen throughout their life, or genetic.
Excessive hair growth could also be from the symptoms of 'polycystic ovary syndrome'.
In some cases, a rare genetic disorder known as 'hypertrichosis' (excessive hair growth), can make women grow beards as easily as men for no medical reason at all, or due to hereditary reasons. (as seen in the video below)
Bearded Lady - Rose Geil
Bare-Faced Bearded Facts
- Hans Nilsen Langseth from Norway was fondly known as the 'King of Whiskers'. He had the longest beard in the world which measured at 17-feet and 6-inches long. The woman with the longest beard is bearded lady Rose Geil.
- 'Movember,' run by the 'Movember Foundation' takes place every November to raise awareness of men's health.
- 'World Beard Day' is held on the first Saturday of September with people from around the world gathering together with their beards.
- The 'Facial Hair Society' has a Facebook group brought together by their love of facial hair.
- In the Victorian era, they were obsessed with air quality, so doctors prescribed beards to act as a filter.
- In 1535, King Henry VIII of England (a beard wearer) introduced a tax on beards and forcibly shaved those who refused to pay. Emperor Peter I of Russia decided to follow suit in 1698 by making beard wearers carry a token.
- Sikhs refrain from cutting their hair and beards out of respect for the God-given form.
42 Famous People With and Without Beards
Jokes About Beards
- 56% of men from around the world sport a beard or facial hair. The rest work for them.
- Beards are fantastic. You don't see ugly men with a beard, but you always see ugly men without a beard.
- What's the difference between a man with a beard and a man without one? One man gets more respect. The other man doesn’t have a beard.
- I asked myself what would Jesus do? Then I grew a beard.
- I'm not sure if I like having a beard, however, It’s growing on me.
The Great American Beard and Moustache Championship
Famous Quotes About Beards
- He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man.' English playwright, poet, and actor, William Shakespeare.
- 'Kissing a man with a beard is a lot like going to a picnic. You don't mind going through a little bush to get there.' American comedian, Minnie Pearl.
- 'Life is like a mustache. It can be wonderful and terrible, but it always tickles.' American author, Nora Roberts.
- 'A decent mustache will intimidate a man, but a great mustache can frighten an army.' Author, Anya Wylde.
- The best thing about a beard is, you can always look contemplative. Canadian-American actor, Joshua Jackson.
More by this author
© 2020 Tony Sky
Ralph on May 19, 2020:
My wife said my facial hair hides my face! I am not entirely positive if that's a pro or con!
Tony Sky (author) from London UK on April 16, 2020:
As long as you're not too lazy to clean it, then all is good!:)
Eric Dierker from Spring Valley, CA. U.S.A. on April 14, 2020:
A fun read. I am just too lazy to shave.