I have great knowledge in Fashion and Beauty which I love to share it with everyone who needs it.
Essential oils are concentrated extracts taken from various plants. They are widely used all over the world and known for their medicinal and therapeutic benefits for skin and hair. If used in a proper way, essential oils can do miracles by improving your skin and hair health. I personally use essential oils in my skin care and hair care routine and it has actually worked and solved most of my skin and hair care concerns. Without wasting time, lets discuss about the top 6 essential oils which I personally prefer, along with their benefits and procedure to use so that you can get maximum benefits.
"It doesn't get much greener than essential oils: when used correctly, they are among Mother Nature's most potent remedies"
- Amy Leigh Mercree (Essential Oils Handbook: Recipes for Natural Living)
Benefits and Uses
This is one of the best essential oil used by almost everyone. Lavender not only benefits your skin and hair but is also used for aromatherapy to reduce stress and anxiety. It has a very soothing and a relaxing scent.
HOW TO APPLY ON SKIN AND HAIR
- For skin, add 3-4 drops of lavender oil to any carrier oil and apply it over your face. If you do not prefer to apply oil on your skin then you can add the essential oil in Aloe Vera gel or your moisturizer. For carrier oil, you can use olive oil or coconut oil but it should be carrier oil and not edible oil.
- For hair, add 3-4 drops of lavender oil in your hair oil or carrier oil and apply it all over your scalp and hair. Leave it for 30 minutes and then shampoo. For best results, repeat it after every 2-3 days.
HOW TO USE FOR AROMATHERAPY
I usually add few drops of this oil in my bath whenever I’m too stressed or exhausted and need to relax. It immediately provides a soothing relief and relaxes my body and leaves a slight scent on my body giving a refreshing experience.
To use it in a diffuser, add water in the diffuser and add 3-4 drops of lavender oil. Switch on the diffuser and let the aroma fill your room. This helps to alleviate your mood and calm your senses.
This essential oil contains strong anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. It is known for it’s ability to reduce acne and blemishes. It fights acne causing bacteria, controls excess sebum production and reduces the appearance of dark spots and acne scars. It is also great in improving your scalp and hair health and removing all scalp related issues. On regular usage on your hair, it prevents dandruff, soothes dry and itchy scalp and promotes hair growth.
HOW TO USE:
- For skin, just add 2-3 drops of this oil in your moisturizer or Aloe Vera Gel and apply after facewash. Just leave it on, do not wash.
- For hair, add 2-3 drops in your shampoo and use this. If you regularly shampoo your hair with this mixture, within one week you will notice a clean scalp and regular usage will prevent dandruff recurrence. You can also add 2-3 drops of tea tree in your hair oil.
Rosemary essential oil is mostly known to reduce hair fall and scalp related issues. It helps in strengthening the hair follicles and prevents hair breakage which stimulates hair growth. It is also quite beneficial for the skin by toning and maintaining the PH level of the skin. It helps in reducing the appearance of large pores.
If you have tried many things for your hair fall but still getting no results, just give this a try. You will definitely be amazed by the results.
HOW TO USE:
- You just need to add 3-4 drops of this essential oil in any carrier oil or your regular hair oil. Warm it just a little bit and then apply it to your scalp and hair. Leave for at least 30 minutes before shampooing. You can also leave this overnight and shampoo your hair the next day. Follow this remedy 2-3 times a week and very soon you will notice difference in your hair. Along with reducing hair fall, it also cleans your scalp and prevents dandruff.
- For skin, you can add 2-3 drops of the oil in your moisturizer or Aloe Vera Gel and apply. If you are not comfortable to apply and leave on, you can also add 2 drops in your facewash and wash it off.
Lemongrass essential oil is known for variety of benefits but is essentially good for your skin as it helps in balancing the oils in your skin. It balances the sebum production in your skin which helps in reducing and preventing acne and pimples. It contains limonene that deeply cleanses and unclogs pores. The anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties of lemongrass helps in inhibiting acne-causing bacteria.
HOW TO USE:
The procedure is the same as others. Just add 3-4 drops of this oil to any carrier oil of your choice or Aloe Vera Gel whichever suits your skin the best and apply it all over your face. Always do this after cleansing your face.
"I believe that for every illness or ailment known to man, that God has a plant out here that will heal it. We just need to keep discovering the properties for natural healing."
- Vannoy Gentles Fite, (Essential Oils for Healing: Over 400 All-Natural Recipes for Everyday Ailments)
Orange essential oil is extracted from the rind of the sweet orange. It has very high properties of Vitamin C which is used widely for skin lightening and brightening properties. There are so many Vitamin C serums, facewash and moisturizers but they are all quite expensive and cannot be afforded by everyone. This can be used to make your own DIY Vitamin C moisturizer/serum and is equally or even more effective than any other products in the market. Let’s learn how to make your own DIY serum/moisturizer.
DIY VITAMIN C SERUM/MOISTURIZER:
Serum: Take one cup of distilled water and add 4-5 drops of orange essential oil. Mix 2 tbsp of Aloe Vera Gel. Stir it well and store it in a spray bottle. Use this spray after cleansing and washing your face. Don’t rub it, gently pat your skin until it is absorbed completely. After 5 minutes, apply your sunscreen if you are using during day time. If you do this at night then just spray it and leave. You can do this everyday.
Moisturizer: To make your own DIY Vitamin C moisturizer, add 3-4 drops of oil in any moisturizer you use or carrier oil according to your skin type. Mix and store in an air tight container and use this instead of using your regular moisturizer.
Never use Orange essential oil or any Vitamin C product and go out in sunlight. It can really damage your skin. Make sure to always apply sunscreen after using orange essential oil and cover your face with a scarf to avoid sun exposure.
Peppermint essential oil consists of anti-inflammatory properties and soothes your skin. It also prevents acne by removing acne-causing bacteria and keeping the skin follicles clean. It can be used on hair as well to prevent dandruff and itchy scalp.
HOW TO USE:
- For skin, add 2-3 drops of oil in any carrier oil suiting your skin type and apply after washing and cleansing your face. You can also mix it in Aloe Vera Gel it you do not prefer carrier oil.
- For hair, either mix 2-3 drops of peppermint oil in your regular hair oil or any carrier oil and apply all over your scalp and hair or you can also add 2-3 drops in your shampoo. Either way is effective. If you use this in your hair oil, then apply and leave for at least 30 minutes before shampoo.
Before using any of the above methods on your skin and hair, always do a patch test because even natural products can react to some skin types or cause irritation in scalp.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2021 Priya