Wendy is a journalist who has been writing online since 2007 on topics such as plus size fashion, learning languages, and traveling.
Fashionable Plus size sweaters and where to buy them, how to wear them and tips to always look elegant and seductive.
Plus Size Sweater To Wear With Slim Bottoms For A Modern Look
Fashionable Plus Size Sweaters
With winter just around the corner most of us are starting to look for warm, fashionable and comfortable winter apparel. But if you wear plus size clothing, you know very well that it is not always easy to look seductive when you are wearing a winter sweater or chunky knitted winter wear.
Seductive plus size sweaters to match your everyday wardrobe.
One problem when you wear a plus size is that most plus size sweaters are just big and shapeless which end up making you look bigger and frumpier. It can be rather difficult to find elegant and seductive plus size sweaters to match your everyday wardrobe. This is why to help you find the best fitting sweaters for this winter; I have selected for you some of my favourite winter must-haves. I have also included a few tips on how to look glamorous while wearing a plus size sweater and pinpointed a few problem areas and the best sweaters to overcome the problem so you can look elegant and fashionable.
What Sweater To Wear To Suit Your Body Shape?
If you have a short and thick neck, the Jessica London plus size off shoulder sweater (featured on the right) is ideal for you. Its oversized wide neckline helps to create the impression of a longer and thinner neck. This is the perfect sweater to convert a problem area into a sensual feature.
Apple Figures Should Wear V-Necks To Balance Their Figure
Try classic colours -like the grey sweater on the right- with added interest like a deep V-neck to give you a cool and relaxed look while at the same time balancing your figure. A deep V-neck makes your neck look longer and the added spike studs on the shoulder also add some rockability to your looks.
Sweaters To Minimize Broad Shoulders
If you have broad shoulders and a heavy breast: A deep neckline can visually minimize broad shoulders. Try different necklines to see which one suits you better. Some of us look better with a V-neckline, while others suit better a round neck or even a square neckline. Try different styles and find out which one suits better your shoulder and face shape.
If you are concerned about wearing a big "décolleté" try wearing it with a lace body underneath to minimize the "too much flesh" effect.
Plus Size Turtleneck Sweater Poncho
Sweaters To Dissimulate Large Hips And Bottom
If you have large hips, go for sweaters with a biased cut on the bottom half. This way the bottom of your sweater will softly skim over your hips rather than clinging to them, minimizing the impact of a heavy bottom.
If you have a slimmish top and a tall neck but want to dissimulate large hips and bottom, the Jessica London sweater poncho is ideal to highlight your long and thin neck while giving full coverage to your hips.
A Sweater Poncho like the one on the right it is very comfortable to wear all day long. The dropped shoulders as well as the open sides provide extra comfort. Because the sweater poncho is 30" long, it is a great length for wearing over a tunic and the fact that it falls down to the upper thighs means that it dissimulates wide bottoms, hips, and a muffin top.
Sweater Swing Style To Move With Ease. Wear it with Skinny Jeans For A Modern Look
What To Wear With Your Plus Size Sweater
- To add glamour to a knitted sweater you can wear it with a pencil skirt and high heels to elongate your figure. Remember that it is all about the silhouette, a fashionable pencil skirt under the sweater will have a balancing effect and hopefully the eye will focus on the skirt’s sleekness, giving you an overall sleek appearance.
- To tone down a glamorous sweater, wear it with jeans.
- If you have an hourglass shape, accentuate your waist with a belt to give structure to your body.
- Knitted sweaters in luxurious fabrics look very chic teamed up with leather. For example, a slim leather trouser or a leather pencil skirts will look very elegant teamed up with a cashmere sweater.
- Team up a heavy sweater with a pretty scarf. The stylish colors will draw attention to your face and away from the heaviness of your sweater.
Do’s When Wearing Plus Size Sweaters
- Wear block colours. Black is always a safe bet when you wear a plus size, but you will be amazed at how good you can look in other colours. If you are not sure about trying colourful sweaters, try wearing dark shades of your favourite colours.
- Try to keep your sweater in the same colour scheme as the bottoms you are wearing.
- If you like prints, go for very small prints instead of large ones. Use the prints to accentuate the body parts that you like. For example, a printed waist will emphasise a thin waist or a printed neckline will emphasise your breast.
- Wear proper undergarments and if possible slimming underwear under your sweater for a streamline figure. Knitted clothes can have a tendency to cling to the body, make sure you are wearing a well fitted bra to avoid unsightly bumps and movement.
- Try a variety of styles and brands to see which one fits you better.
- Emphasize your good features. Just because you wear a plus size does not mean that your body is not attractive. You need to play up on your good features by wearing a sweater that shows off your best assets.
- Wear light weighted materials; they will help you look lighter while hand knitted heavy sweaters have a tendency to visually add extra pounds to your figure.
- Go for neutral-toned sweaters because they tend to look a little sleeker.
- Team a sexy printed cropped pant with an over-sized monotone sweater or a vibrant colored sweater with bold cropped pants.
Plus Size Sweaters on Amazon.com
- Don’t wear a knitted sweater with joggings you will look frumpy.
- Don't let your sweater cover you up. Sweaters are fashion items not a piece to hide Under. It is a fashion sin to hide your figure.
- Don’t wear sweaters with leggings, unless you are wearing a very long sweater or knitted dress.
- Don't try to squeeze into too-small sweaters, you will end up walking around with a muffin top or a bulge that shows off your girls in the worst way.
- Don't go overboard with the jewelry. Instead, choose only one piece to go with your sweater.
- Don't be afraid to show off some cleavage. If you have it, flaunt it.
Where To Buy Good Fitting Plus Size Sweaters That Look Fashionable, Trendy And Sexy?
Some of the best places to buy plus size sweaters that really fit your curves are specialized shops as they do cut their clothes according to a women’s plus size shape rather than just adding an overall size everywhere and ending up with a big but shapeless garment.
My favourite places to find plus size clothing are:
- Torrid.com In Women's Plus Sizes at Torrid.com You will find the most seductive knitwear and accessories to match it.
- Jessica London. You can find Jessica London on its own site or via Amazon.com. Jessica London provides a wide variety of fashionable plus size clothes. I specially like their suede and leather collection which matches fantastically knitted sweaters.
Wendy Iturrizaga (author) from France on March 25, 2015:
SweetiePie : Hi, yes I like that one too. I find it very flattering as it visually elongates your neck and thus makes the top of your body look much slender.
SweetiePie from Southern California, USA on March 25, 2015:
The off the shoulder sweater is nice.
Wendy Iturrizaga (author) from France on February 17, 2015:
thewahm: good point about the belt, but it really depends on your body shape; it can look great on some plus size girls just as it can look horrendous in others.
Tara on November 16, 2011:
Great hub here, but I have to disagree with the use of belts. Often women get belts that are too small and it causes the muffin top to really show. I am a plus size girl and can not and will not wear the high belts for that reason.
Anamika S Jain from Mumbai - Maharashtra, India on October 25, 2011:
I love the Jessica London Plus Size off shoulder one and the Jessica London Plus Size Turtleneck Sweater Poncho.
Philip Cooper from Olney on October 21, 2011:
Nice hub....its amazing that where there is quality the size seems much smaller than a plus size...or maybe that's a man's blinkered view. Anyway nice hub. Thank you.
Wendy Iturrizaga (author) from France on October 21, 2011:
SweetMocha-Monroe: Thanks for the support :-)
SweetMocha-Monroe on October 21, 2011:
I love this hub, tips and clothing. Very interesting.