Anamika S Jain is a social media consultant and blogger. She is passionate about topics like astrology, numerology, feng shui and gemstones.
Agate Gemstone - Symbol of Health and Long life
Agate is a semi precious gemstone belonging to the Chalcedony family and is found in a wide variety of colors and textures. There is no gemstone which is more creatively striped by Nature than the Agate. This stone is symbolic of health and long life. The stone is said to receive its name from Theophrastus, a Greek philosopher and naturalist, who discovered the stone along the shoreline of the River Achates. Agate is the birthstone of those born in the month of May and September. Agate is suitable for those with the Zodiac Signs of Aries, Leo, Virgo, Capricorn, Gemini and Cancer. Agate is also the Wedding Anniversary Gemstone associated with the 12th year of Marriage. Most of agates are seen in the cavities of eruptive rocks or ancient lavas.
Agate is found throughout the world including Brazil, Egypt, Germany, India, Italy, China, Scotland, Madagascar, Mexico and the United States.
Types of Agate
Types of Agate
There are many varieties of agate. A few of them are
- Blue Lace Agate: This is one of the popular agates and has made its name as a calming and uplifting stone. This stone strengthens the functions of the throat chakra.
- Moss Agate : A variety having included matter of a green color embedded in the agate is known as moss agate. This stone is dark green and often with clear patches. It is the birthstone of those born under the Zodiac Aquarius and wedding anniversary gemstone associated with the 14th year of Marriage.
- Tree Agate: This stone is a healing stone and used widely to get relief from pains.
- Eye Agate: This stone is said to ward off evil eye. This is also a suggested stone for those who are very sensitive in nature and gets hurt easily. Another name of this gemstone is Botswana Agate.
- Petrified Wood Agate: This stone is usually brown, white or red.
- Riband Agate: Riband agates are agates where the bands appear as straight lines in cross section.
- Fire Agate: This stone is said to give the wearer a feel of safety and security. This gem is also said to be useful for removing addictions and for treating the stomach, nervous and endocrine systems.
- Snakeskin Agate: As the name indicates this gem bears resemblance to the snakeskin. This stone is said to bring a feel of inner peace in the wearer.
Healing Properties and benefits of Wearing Agate Jewelry
Agate was used as a talisman or amulet from ancient times. This stone is said to improve confidence, courage, strength, vitality and health of the wearer and keep him physically and emotionally balanced. Agate gem is also worn to evade bad dreams and for having a pleasant sleep. Agate is also a healing gemstone. It is used to treat stomach upsets, insomnia, fever etc. According to the ancient superstition, wearing agate gave one the power to vanquish enemies and acquire riches. It is also said that one should carry an Agate gem when an important decision has to be made. Persian magicians is said to have used agate to divert storms. There are many varieties of agate.
Agate is one of the oldest stones found and is most commonly used to make Jewelry. One cannot resist the beauty of Agate made rings, pendants, necklaces, pins, brooches and earrings. However, it is also used to make inkstands, paper knives, marbles, seals etc. Because of its ability to resist acids and hardness this gem is used to make mortars and pestles to crush and mix chemicals. It has been used for leather burnishing tools. A dream of this gem signifies a journey.
How to identify Agates?
© 2009 Anamika S Jain
Abhishek on December 10, 2011:
Your articles are great.
I am a gemini, working in IT industry. Im planning to buy agate and emerald.
Could u please kindly tell me about how to wear agate and if its right to buy blue lace agate??
mdlawyer on February 11, 2010:
Nice hub on agates.
Anamika S Jain (author) from Mumbai - Maharashtra, India on January 04, 2009:
Thanks for the visit Writer Rider. I already have written 2 articles on Diamonds. In fact I have written about most gemstones. You can see all of them by going to my Profile Page and clicking on Gemstone Hubs.
Writer Rider on January 04, 2009:
You do write some great hubs on precious stones. Can you do one on diamonds? I'm born in September but I'm a libra. Are there other gem stones for libras other than emeralds?
Anamika S Jain (author) from Mumbai - Maharashtra, India on January 03, 2009:
Your favourable gems would be Ruby, Pearl, Emerald and Blue Sapphire. The Birthstone of May is Emerald. But i guess a much better and popular way of choosing gemstone is based in Numerology.
Thanks for visiting the Hub.
Bruce Elkin from Victoria, BC Canada on January 03, 2009:
I knew nothing about gemstones before this and the other hub. Now I know a tiny bit, and learning. Thank you! What's the gemstone for May (Taurus)?