The Most Spectacular Collection Shown Right Here!
Celebrated Handbag Designer
Ever since I was a little girl, I have been crazy about Judith Leiber. I think it is clearly understandable why I am not the only person that marvels over her creations. She is an extremely talented woman, which through her dedication and hard work, has built an empire from the ground up. Judith Leiber was born Judith Peto, in Budapest, Hungary 1921. She married her husband, Gerson Leiber an American soldier and immigrated to America in 1948.
During the war Judith learn the craft of handbag making, and made purses for a friend’s small factory located in Switzerland. When she moved to the United States, she honed her craft by working for many leading, New York City based, handbag, manufactures. In 1963, she launched her own company with the help of her husband Gerson. Gerson and Judith worked together until1998, when they then sold the company, and happily retired.
- It is a fact that a few of America's First Ladies have carried her purses. In 1964 Lady Bird Johnson was the first American First Lady to carry a Judith Leiber clutch.
- There is a famous photo shot of Michelle Obama with the President, carrying her vintage Judith Leiber clutch.
List of Museums Housing Judith Pieces
Some of Judith Leiber's uniquely designed, crystal, miniatures and handbags can be seen on view at;
- The Victoria and Albert Museum in London, England.
- The Smithsonian in Washington D. C.
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City, New York
- The Houston Museum of Fine Arts in Houston, Texas
- The Los Angeles Museum of Art in Los Angeles, California.
The Museum Built By Gerson and Judith
- In 2005, Gerson and Judith built a small museum to house their art collection and life works. The Museum is located on 446 Old Stone Highway in the Springs section of East Hampton on Long Island, NY.
- Over Memorial Day weekend they featured an exquisite showing of more than 140 Chinese porcelain pieces the Lieber's had collected over the years. For sixty two years the Lieber's have been collecting these Chinese porcelain pieces. The Memorial Day exhibition was the first of it's kind for some of these 1000 year old pieces that were selected.
Gerson Leiber is himself an artist. Born in Brooklyn, New York 1921 Gerson childhood was proof positive to his own creative abilities. As an adult Gerson worked with Gabor Peterdi. Gerson's art prints won many awards. Not only was Gerson an award winning artist, but he also hosted many one man shows to exhibit his work.
- He even was showcased at the Alex Rosenberg Gallery, and traveled with the Associated American Artists exhibitions. Both he and Judith love working on their East Hampton estate, showing off their art work, and producing masterpieces. For information on visiting the museum please contact them at (631) 329.3288, for a special viewing. Unless otherwise noted the museum is open by appointment only.
If you ever need to return a Judith Leiber product to be repaired. Just send it to:
Attention: Repair Facility
600 Meadowlands Parkway
Secaucus, NJ 07094
Hours: 9:00am - 5:00pm EST (Monday - Friday)
Make sure to include the receipt of purchase. They will not continue on without it.
Product Care Instructions
How to take care of a Judith Leiber Product
- Handbags and Accessories
List below are four easy steps to follow when cleaning a Judith Leiber product. Following the steps below will help to ensure that the product manufacturer's guarantee will not be nullified or voided. The simple steps listed are mostly likely to increase your future enjoyment for many years to come:
1. Gently wipe the item with a smooth, soft, dry cloth. Do not use cleaning agents. They are not needed when cleaning your product.
2. Store the item inside the specially treated protective pouch provided.
3. Avoid exposure to moisture as well as extreme heat or cold.
4. Do not expose your Judith Leiber products to perfume or hair care products.
For care of your frame:
1. Please rinse lenses with a mild detergent and warm water.
2. Use only the soft lens cloth provided for daily cleaning of the lenses.
Julie Grimes (author) from Columbia, MO USA on January 24, 2013:
Sorry folks, I do not know.
Eric on December 15, 2012:
hi i have about 20 JUDITH LEIBER bag many are vintage i got them when my mother passed away i
am looking to sell the would you have any interest or know someone who would
wieliecka on August 11, 2012:
A couple of years ago, a very generous friend gave me a beautiful Miniaudiere. It is the head of a lion gold colored with beautiful silver cristals.I have never used it. I have tried finding it on line to find out the value But have been unable to find it. Do you know of a webside where I can find documentation about what years collection it could be
TAB on July 05, 2012:
Hi we sell beautiful clutch bags online! take a look at our collection we would love your feedback! thanks
Bill Dootson on February 14, 2011:
When myself and Jackie were in Las Vegas in I think 1999 we were fortunate enough to purchase a Judith Lieber ladies powder compact from the Bellagio Hotel. The pattern was made of the restaurant wallpaper design. It was a limited edition of 18 and we have number 1.If you wish to see a photo please email me on firstname.lastname@example.org
Julie Grimes (author) from Columbia, MO USA on July 08, 2010:
I'd go on ebay, an ask some of the Judith Lieber's handbag sellers, if they would know.
Carol Griffiths on July 07, 2010:
Two years ago I purchased a Judith Leiber Handbag at a yard sale for $5.00 while visiting a friend in Florida. I am curious to find out what it is worth. While researching it on line I came upon this site and was amazed to find out that the Leiber's Muesum is in East Hampton. I live in East Hampton and had no idea that the muesum even existed. I'm so sorry I missed the Memorial Day Showing and will definitely call and make arrangements to see it ASAP. In the meantime, if you would be so kind as to advise me on where I can find out the current value of my Judith Leiber Yard Sale Treasure I would sincerely appreciate it.
Thank you for your time and assistance.
Julie Grimes (author) from Columbia, MO USA on December 06, 2009:
Oh that is fantastic! Thank you.
redjag on December 05, 2009:
Hi...I just saw your hub! I have been collecting Judith Leiber handbags since the late '70's. The last of mine, with the exception of 1 that I've kept, are going up for auction on the 7th of this month. I write under the name of redjag. My newest hub is about the auction and why I'm selling the bags. I didn't put pictures in the hub because my wonderful little pieces of art are in Dallas. You are able to see them at www.ha.com.
I love your hub and picture of Judith. If you have a chance please read my hub "once upon a life".