Hair chalk is a wonderful way to get pastel colors in your hair without damaging your hair. There are a few ways you can go about dying your hair with hair chalk and a few different products too. Hair chalk can be purchased online and in some beauty supply stores. These chalks are especially made for your hair. If you don't want to buy hair chalk you can also buy pastel chalks at a craft store. These chalks are not made for your hair but they work so if you have some of these lying around they might be the more convenient option. You can also put the chalk in dry or wet. Dry will last only a couple of washes and wet will become a semi permanent dye and last at least a week. Another thing you should know before you try this is that pastel colors show up better on lighter shads of hair. If you want really vibrant pastel colors than you might want to bleach your hair before adding the pastel colors. If you choose to use pastel colors with darker colors of hair they will not show up as vibrant and may appear as more of a tint.
Temporary Color For One or Two Days
This method is the dry method. This way will only last a day or two.
What you will need
- Pastel color chalks
- A brush or comb
What to do
- First brush your hair to remove any tangles.
- Now separate the hair you want to color into small manageable sections.
- Now use the chalk to color your hair (literally)
- Hold the hair tightly while you color.
- Color downward so you don't damage your hair.
- Repeat this to every section of your hair you want to be pastel colors
Temporary Color That Lasts a Week or Two
This is the very best way to make the color last longer. Also I have found this is the best method for all over color because the application process takes much less time.
What you will need
- Your pastel chalks
- A small bowl of water
- A butter knife
- A towel (one you don't mind getting dirty)
- A brush
- A paint brush (optional for application)
What to do
- First cut off a small piece of chalk and let in melt in the bowl of water.
- Dampen your hair and brush out all the tangles.
- Use the towel to protect your clothing and anything else you don't want to get messy.
- Now put the mixture in your hair. ( You can use the paint brush to make it easier)
- Let your hair air dry and your done.
What I love about hair chalk is that you can really get creative. Try mixing the ombre and pastel styles together. Try streaks or the dip dyed look. You can do all over color or just the tips.The chalk is temporary so if you don't like it it will come right out. Have fun trying out new creative looks with hair chalks and pastel colors.
Some more of my work
- How to dye your hair with a leopard print or cheetah...
How to dye your hair with a leopard or cheetah design. This is really fun and it looks great. This is quick and easy. You can use natural dyes or chemical dyes. You can choose between permanent or temporary.
- How to lighten your hair naturally at home
Tips to naturally lighten your hair at home. These tips use natural ingredients, are inexpensive and will not cause much damage to your hair. These methods are fast and easy to use.
I Would Love to Hear What You Think Leave a Comment
MelonieGilchrist on May 23, 2013:
Another excellent read!! Voted up!
torrilynn on March 13, 2013:
thanks for the wonderful hub on how to dye your hair naturally
thanks for the instructions and tips