Loves sharing tips and techniques which she feels would help others out there looking for advice.
Doing an at home facial is a great way to relax and detox from society after a long week or a long day.
Professional facials are great but many of us can't get one every week. When you visit a beauty salon, you should leave their salon feeling amazing after your treatments.
If your budget doesn't allow for you to get facials ever month then you need to buy the items that you need yourself and do your facial at home instead.
If one of your friends or family member is free that night then why not make a girls night of it and do a drinks and beauty night.
Prior to preparing for your facial night, check your bathroom cabinet and make sure that you have everything that you will need in there.
Make sure that you also dedicate a night and a certain time frame so you won't be interrupted.
6 Steps to Doing a Facial
Step 1. Double cleanse your skin
Step 2. Steam your face
Step 3. Use a hot cloth cleanser
Step 4. Apply a facial mask
Step 5. Add a facial mist for hydration
Step 6. Use a good facial moisturizer
Trilogy Make-Up Be Gone Cleansing Balm, 2.7 fz
Choosing the Right Cleansers for Your Skin Type
If you know what your skin type is then only use products developed for that type of issue.
- You should use a cream cleanser if you have issues with dry skin.
- You should use a water based cleanser if you have issues with oily skin.
You need to always use the correct cleanser for your skin type. If you are unsure then go to a beauty counter and get one of the staff to do a skin test on you.
You will have better results if you use the correct products for your skin type.
Items That You Need for Your Facial
|Items for Facial||Other Items|
Cleanse 1: Oil Cleanser
Cleanse 2: Cream Cleanser
Facial Steamer / Basin of hot water
Blackhead extractors (if required)
Hot Cloth Cleanser
Step 1: Cleansing and Toning
- Apply a small amount of the oil based cleanser onto your hands.
- Rub the cleanser between your palms and then apply it onto your face. Gentle rub it onto your face to dissolve all of you makeup. This will help to remove the top layer of makeup.
- Use a warm wet flannel to clean off any excess cleanser from your face.
- Next apply the cream cleanser to your face.
- Apply it to your face using your fingertips and massage it onto your skin. This next step is to ensure that all your makeup is removed.
- Use a warm wet flannel to clean of any excess cleanser from your face.
- If you want to use a facial scrub after you have cleaned your face then use a gentle face scrub that won't damage your skin.
- Gentle apply the facial scrub onto your fingertips and then apply it to your face. Gently rub the scrub in circle around your face in circular motions.
- Once you are finished, use a wet flannel to remove the scrub.
If you have a toner, pour some onto a cotton pad and gently wipe your face once with it.
Step 2: Steaming your Face/ Use a Warm Flannel
- Gentle steam your face with warm steam once the steamer is warmed up. This will soften your skin.
- Using two cotton pads or a blackhead extractor tool. remove any blackheads that are on your face.
- You will have a better image of the size of your blackheads if you use 20x magnifying mirror. Wipe the extractor tool each time you remove a blackhead.
- If you don't have a facial steamer, then use a basin filled with hot water. Place a towel over your head and put our face over the hot water for 10 minutes.
- Be careful when steaming your face, you do not want to get to close to the steam or you might burn your skin.
- If you don't have a steamer or you prefer not to use one, then dampen a flannel with warm water and set this on your face.
Step 3: Using a Hot Cloth Cleanser
If you don't have a facial steamer or you prefer to not use one then you can skip this step. Instead you can go to the next step which is applying a hot cloth cleanser.
- Apply the cleanser to your face.
- Place the warm wet muslin cloth over your face that still has the cream on it.
- Leave the cloth on your face for 15 minute.
- Once the 15 minutes has passed, then wipe of any excess cream from your your skin with the muslin.
Step 4: Apply a Sheet Mask to Your Face
There are a variety of different facial masks that you can use.
- There are the sheet masks that you leave on for 15 minutes that you then remove. Any remaining residue that is on your face is massaged into your skin with your fingertips.
- There are also cream masks like the ones from Montagne Jeunesse which have different scents and textures. This also have different types of masks for different skin issues.
Advice When Using a Face Mask
- If you use a cream masks and you have dry, oily or combination skin in different parts of your face, then you can use a portion of each mask on each separate are of your face.
- Be careful when using the face masks that harden after it is left on your face for 10 to 15 minutes.
- When you peel these ones off, you are pulling on your face and overtime this can lead to sagging skin.
- The facial masks that harden on your face are easy enough to remove with a wet flannel.
- You can store any unused mask you have left in your fridge.
Step 5: Hydrating
- Apply a facial mist to your face once you remove your sheet mask .You can use mists like one from The Bodyshop or one from La Roche Posay.
- Apply a list layer of mist all over your face and let dry. Using a facial mist prior to the application of your moisturizer ensures that your skin will absorb it better once it is applied.
- There are a many brands of facial mists on the market. Many contain vitamins and nutrients that are good for your skin.
- Choose a facial mist that is designed for your skin type or one that will help your skin if you have any issues.
- Choose a facial mist brand that is a reputable brand. If you have any type of irritation once you have applied the facial mist then stop use.
Step 6: Moisturizing
If you have oily skin you should use a face lotion.
If you have dry skin, then you should use a cream based moisturizer.
Night moisturizers usually have a thicker consistency compared to the day time moisturizer.
The Body Shop and Glossier have some affordable moisturizers.
Tata Harper or Drunk Elephant are products that are specifically designed to deal with skin issues but they are very expensive.
If you are looking for other skin care brands that are cruelty free, check out the Peta website here.
Facial Exercises - Yoga
Facial exercise and face yoga are a good thing to start practicing. Practice the exercises a few times a week. Practicing one of these is a good way to keep the skin on your face firm.
It will take time for you to see the results, so you need to learn that these times take time.
© 2014 Sp Greaney
Sp Greaney (author) from Ireland on September 10, 2014:
Hi jtrader, thank you. Thanks for dropping by. :)
jtrader on September 10, 2014:
This was very thorough. Thanks for sharing what is needed. I shared this on Pinterest!
Sp Greaney (author) from Ireland on August 27, 2014:
Thanks Alli Rose, the great thing is that rose water isn't even that expensive to buy which is great.
Alli Rose Smith from Washington, DC on August 27, 2014:
Wow! I love your recipes, and will definitely try the rose water moisturizer, since there is no need to spend a lot of money for brands. Good job!