I love health and passionately believe we should do more to look after our health. Natural remedies can be as effective as conventional ones
Cellulite is a problem for many women
How to Get Rid Of Cellulite Fast
Cellulite is a problem which a lot of women suffer from and is not easy to combat. Reducing cellulite, or getting rid of cellulite, is a preoccupation for women around the world.
Sometimes there is a need to try to get rid of cellulite fast. You might be planning a special vacation, getting married or just got to the stage where you are ready to take on your cellulite.
Can you get rid of cellulite fast?
That depends on what type of cellulite you have, and how hard you are willing to work out at it, but you can certainly reduce cellulite quickly. I decided to put theory into practice and asked three of my girlfriends to help out. They all suffered from different types of cellulite, so we decided to see if we could get rid of cellulite in 8 weeks. During the eight weeks, we learned a lot of about cellulite, and how you can best reduce cellulite.
What Type of Cellulite Do You Have?
First of all, you need to stop feeling guilty about your cellulite. Cellulite is often hereditary and it is likely other family members suffer from cellulite as well.
Almost 95% of women have cellulite somewhere on their body. You don't have to be overweight to suffer from cellulite, equally as many skinny women suffer from excess cellulite as overweight women.
There are different types of cellulite and it is important to find out which type of cellulite is causing you a problem. Finding out what type of cellulite you have is really important when it comes to treating and getting rid of cellulite.
You also need to do a dimple test. It will tell you more or less exactly how much effort you need to put in to get rid of your cellulite
Different Types of Cellulite
Adipose Cellulite – Adipose cellulite is a firm type of cellulite which has an orange peel effect on loose skin. There may be quite a distance between the dimples but the dimples can also be looser. If you have lost weight adipose cellulite might be more visible.
Oedematous Cellulite – Oedematous cellulite is caused by fluid retention. If you have had an injury, or recently had a baby, you may experience a problem with oedematous cellulite. The dimples can be quite large and may even feel as they are moving when you pinch your flesh.
Fibrotic Cellulite – Fibrotic cellulite is hard, compact cellulite. The dimples are smaller and closer together but still capable of forming an orange peel effect.
All three types of cellulite can be effectively combated by using a range of self-help treatment such as exercise, skin brushing, adopting a healthier diet and lotions.
The Cellulite Dimple Test
How to Grade Your Cellulite Dimples - The Dimple Test
Once you have identified what type of cellulite you have, it is important to "grade" it. Grading your cellulite with give you a good idea to find out how much work you need to put into getting rid off your cellulite.
There are four different grades of cellulite and there is an easy way to grade your cellulite.
Grade 1 - No visible cellulite even when the skin is pinched.
Grade 2 - No visible cellulite when lying down but an orange peel texture when the skin is pinched.
Grade 3 - Visible cellulite when when standing but disappears when lying down.
Grade 4 - Visible cellulite when standing and lying down.
My Cellulite Story
I developed cellulite after suffering a leg and ankle injury. First of all, the doctors discovered that I had a hairline fracture in my lower leg, and after a week I was also diagnosed with severe injuries to my tendons including my Achilles tendon. The bursa in my ankle was also affected, so I was forced to keep very still for a couple of months. Not very easy for someone who is always on the go.
During my forced exile from the gym, I noticed that I started to develop loose skin on my upper thighs which felt soft. When I pinched the skin I could see an orange peel effect. It did cause me concern and I mentioned it to my doctor. My lovely doctor gave me a crash course in the various types of cellulite and explained I could get rid of cellulite fast when I recovered.
Luckily with the help of my excellent doctor, and my physiotherapist I did manage to recover but it did take a long time. By the time I had recovered sufficiently to exercise my husband booked a vacation to Cancun in Mexico.
By now I could clearly see the cellulite on top of my thighs, and I had eight weeks to my vacation. At first complete panicked assumed, I had eight weeks to try to at least improve on the dreaded dimples. Not yet being fully fit, I decided to get together with my girlfriends to try to stay motivated. We were all in the business of trying to get rid of cellulite.
Sprouts can help to reduce cellulite
How to Get Rid Of Cellulite Fast
A lot of has been written about cellulite and how to get rid of cellulite fast, and we decided to put some of the ideas to the test. There are literary hundreds of different ways which you can try but we decided to try to keep it simple and avoid the most expensive products. Two results really surprised us all.
Top Tips for Getting Rid Of Cellulite
- Exercise – Getting yourself off the sofa and moving is the number one weapon against cellulite.
- Diet – Keeping an eye on what you eat and drink will really help.
- Skin brushing – Skin brushing can be very effective to improve the texture of your skin
- Lotions and Potions – Lotions and cream do work but we discovered that there is a right and wrong way to use them.
- Vitamins and supplement – Vitamins and supplements can help as well.
It is important to combine treatments and ideas, using more than one method always seems to work the best.
How to Walk Right
How to Get Rid of Cellulite Fast with Exercise
Exercise is certainly important and seems to be the number one weapon against cellulite. There are some exercises which work better than others. Don't forget to add toning exercises to your exercise routine. Toning exercises will help to build muscle mass and lean muscle tone will go along way to redefine your skin tone.
It is also important to cross train, try to add and do different exercise on a daily basis but always have one fundamental aerobic exercise which you do every day.
Exercises to Get Rid of Cellulite On Thighs and Bum Fast
- Walking – walking is probably the best way to get rid of cellulite, and there is a trick to it. You can go out for one long walk per day, but we quickly discovered that walking little and often helped even more. It is a good idea to get into a routine so try to walk for at least 20 minutes before each meal time. At the end of the day, you would have walked for over an hour per day. The reason this works so well is simply that you are speeding up your circulation three times a day. Better circulation helps your cellulite to break up. If you do have the time, try to fit in a long walk every day. The more you walk, the faster you will get rid of your cellulite.
- Swimming – swimming is another excellent way of speeding up your circulation. The trick is to swim fast in short sharp bursts, and then have a rest period.
- Running – many claim that this is the best way to get rid of cellulite fast. It may help but we found walking is better. You might go for a run once a day, however, you are more likely to go for a walk several times a day which means you will speed up your circulation more often.
- Cycling – cycling is another great way to get rid of cellulite fast. Just like with walking you might be able to add cycling to your daily routine. Consider cycling to work or to the shops if you can. Spinning classes are a great work out. They really help to both tone your muscles and increase circulation. As you are working with different resistances, spinning classes can give you a varied workout.
- Toning exercise – toning exercises are crucial when it comes to building muscle mass. It really helps if you do your toning exercises on a daily basis. I personally did toning exercises for 15 minutes per day, and then I did some overall stretching exercises such as a Yoga Planks. Don't get hung up on the stretching exercises, try something so simple as theyoga sun salutations. This series of exercises include excellent overall body stretches.
Easy Tips for Adding More Steps to Your Walking Work Out
- Get off the bus one stop before your usual stop and walk the rest of the way
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator
- Going for a walk before a meal with help to speed up your metabolism
- Walk with your arms swinging
- Make any excuse to walk
- Start a walking group - helps to keep you motivated
Improve Your Diet to Get Rid Of Cellulite
|Toning Exercises Legs||Toning Exercises Arms||Toning Exercises Tummy|
Floor Leg Raises
Standing Push Ups
Seated Leg Raises
Mini Sit Ups
How to Get Rid Of Cellulite Fast with Diet
Diet also plays a role when fighting cellulite. It is important to try and reduce fats and add the right foodstuff to help your body. A lot of people claim that reducing tea and coffee consumption helps. We are all different but we found that reducing tea and coffee did not have an effect. It is important you don't take your tea and coffee with lots of milk and sugar. There is even some evidence tea will help to reduce cellulite.
Top Diet Tips to Get Rid Of Cellulite Fast
- Visible fats – we need fats but certain fats are better than others. It is important to remove visible fats. Make sure you remove all visible fat from meats such as steak, pork, and ham. This will go a long way to reducing your fat consumption. You should also try to reduce dairy fats such as cheese, milk, and yogurt. Be very careful with low-fat dairy products, they may contain a lot of sugar.
- Sugar – we consume too much sugar in our diet. Sugar might give you a quick boost but will then make your more tired. Be careful when you do your shopping. Avoid things like cake, cookies, and bread which contain a lot of sugar. Try to find a bread which is low in sugar and high in fiber.
- Alcohol – you should try to avoid beer at all costs. It is full of sugar and will also slow down your digestion. The odd glass of white wine is not going to hurt you but red wine contains an enzyme which will help to break up fats. Having a daily glass of a good quality red wine might even help. South American wines are rich in anti-oxidants which will open up your arteries for better circulation.
Don't let food become your enemy. It is important to continue to eat well but try to re-focus your eating. Instead of eating just to feel full, try to eat for energy instead. Having energy will make you become more active.
Omega 3 Essential Fatty Acids
Not only are Omega 3 Essential Fatty Acids really good for our brain and heart function but they can help to reduce cellulite as well as they improve circulation and lower blood fats.
Omega 3's can be found in cold water fish so try adding cold water fish to your diet three times a week.
Good examples of cold water fish are:
Tips and Ideas for Cellulite Diet
Low Fat Ham
How to Get Rid Of Cellulite Fast Using Skin Brushing
Improving skin quality is important when dealing with cellulite. The faster your skin shed old cells and replace them with new ones, the faster your cellulite will improve. Skin brushing can really help but you need to do it every day before a shower.
Many cellulite sufferers only skin brush the affected area. This might help somewhat but although in does remove dead skin cells, you really need to skin brush all over the body. Skin brushing does not only work by removing dead skin cells but it also increases micro circulation which is important factor in improving skin quality.
Tips for skin brushing:
- Always brush in the direction of your heart
- Start at the toes and brush all the way up
- Don't forget to include your arms and upper torso as well.
- Make your strokes long and smooth but apply slight pressure
- Do it every day before your shower
- If you have time skin brush after exercise as well
How to Get Rid Of Cellulite Fast Using Lotions
Many ask if anti-cellulite creams work. The answer was to our surprise that they do work but there is a trick to them.
Most of us would apply them after coming out of the shower and use them as a body lotion. Don't be tempted into using them this way, it would be a complete waste of money. Instead, use them after you have exercised and your circulation has increased. Massage them well into the skin, and the blood circulation will pick the active ingredients.
Also, don't be tempted into buying the most expensive ones. Garnier does an excellent range of products. Products which contain caffeine seem to be the most effective ones but the anti-cellulite oil from Garnier is great as it also really helps to improve skin quality.
Best Aromatherapy Oils for Cellulite
Try using a combination of these oils for treatment of cellulite:
Juniper, Geranium, Rosemary, Fennel, Bay, Cypress, Lemon, Lime, Spruce, Cedarwood, Lavender, Patchouli, Lotus
How to Make Your Own Cellulite Treatment
How to Make Your Own Anti Cellulite Treatment
Why not try blending your own anti-cellulite treatment? It is easy to do and cost-effective.You can use a traditional carrier oil such as almond oil or coconut oil but in fact, baby oil is just as good, if not better. Baby oil is not such a heavy oil and is absorbed quickly by the skin. It can even be sprayed on giving a quick even covering.
This is what you need to make your own anti-cellulite skin care treatment:
One or two of the above oils
When you blend to treat a condition you might want to make your mix quite strong. In this blend, I used Lotus oil which improves skin texture and Patchouli oil which improves circulation and fluid drainage. Rosemary oil works really well but I am not keen on the smell so I replaced it with Patchouli.
Use 1 cup of baby oil
5 drops of Patchouli Oil
10 drops of Lotus Oil
Blend together in the bottle. Shake the bottle well.
Leave to infuse for a day and use after exercise or when you like.
Remember to give the bottle a good shake before you use the lotion.
How to Get Rid Of Cellulite Fast with Natural Vitamins and Supplements
Best Supplements to Get Rid of Cellulite
Vitamins and supplements can help to improve skin quality and reduce cellulite. Remember to buy good quality vitamins and supplements, cheap products are packed fillers which you don't need.
There are many different vitamins and supplements which can work but taking a lot of different things can be counterproductive.
- Omega 3 Fish Oil – if you don't think you are getting all your Omega 3 essential fatty acids you should try using a fish oil supplement. They come in different strengths, and it is safe to take up to 3000 milligrams per day unless you are on blood thinning drugs. How does Omega 3 Fsh Oil work? It increases the amount of healthy fats in the blood. Healthy fats improve skin quality and also improves circulation by making the arteries more flexible.
- Gingko Biloba – Ginkgo Biloba has long been associated with improved microcirculation and can help to improve blood circulation to the outer layer of the skin.
- Horse Chestnut Supplement – this is the supplement which will probably give the best results. It is a bit more expensive but you get what you pay for. Horse Chestnut can help with dry skin and can reduce cellulite very quickly. In short, if you are serious about getting rid of cellulite, this is the best supplement to use and you will see good results. It works by speeding up microcirculation and that is really what you need to do to get rid of cellulite. It is also great for dry and itchy skin.
- Brewers Yeast – Brewer's yeast has long been associated with good skin health and will give your skin a healthy glow. It is rich in B vitamins and is easily absorbed by the body.
- Beetroot supplement – excellent for better skin health and works on both skin quality and circulation.
- High Strength vitamin B – this will help with energy and is also great for the nervous system.
The supplements which I found worked the best where Omega 3 Fish Oil and Horse Chestnut but one of the girls had amazing results with her beetroot supplement. All of these supplements are safe to use together.
How to get Rid of Cellulite in 8 Weeks by Persistence
Try mixing and matching the remedies and find out which ones work for you. I don't promise you will get rid of your cellulite in eight weeks but you will certainly see an improvement.
There are many reasons cellulite can be difficult to shift. You may have suffered the condition for a long time, and you could be on a medication which makes it worse. Both painkillers and certain anti-inflammatory treatments can make cellulite more difficult to get rid of. Many women on statins also claim their cellulite gets worse. Hormonal changes can make a difference and you often find cellulite will become visible during the peri-menopause.
Did I get rid of my cellulite? Yes, I did and I found it easier to do so once I had come off my high strength painkillers, and that is when I discovered the link to certain medications.
The two most surprising results were that running, or jogging, seemed less effective in reducing cellulite. Walking often was by far the most effective method. I was also surprised that the creams work but it is important to use them immediately after exercise when your circulation is at its peak. Getting rid of cellulite fast, or reducing cellulite, can be done. But don't focus on diet alone, exercise and improving skin quality matter. Remember that we are all different and it is a matter of finding out what works for your own personal needs.
Did this article help you?
© 2014 Annie Messeri
Kara Skinner from Maine on July 05, 2017:
Thanks for these suggestions. There is a lot of great information here and I'll definitely be doing some of these. It's good to know walking is more effective than running. That's certainly welcome news.
Annie Messeri (author) from Spain on June 20, 2016:
Thank you, I think that we need to start to think about cellulite a little bit differently.
Carol Morris on June 19, 2016:
Thank you! Lots of great information here.
Carla on January 30, 2016:
Thank you! Very informational! One time I got rid of it in one week! I walked up the steepest hill in town. Gone! Looked so much younger! I forget to do i, and I get lazy!
Annie Messeri (author) from Spain on September 10, 2014:
Thank you very much and I am glad you found it useful.
shraddhachawla on September 09, 2014:
Excellent hub ! The depth of content and the finest details that you have put make this hub awesome. It is one subject that every woman would wish to read. Voted up!
Annie Messeri (author) from Spain on September 09, 2014:
Hi Ally, Thank you for dropping by. It is often hereditary and there is a strong estrogen link. Gentle exercise more often seems to pay often and skin brushing is good as well.
Annie Messeri (author) from Spain on September 09, 2014:
Thank you MsDora - I think the best news is that gentle exercise is the best, no need to run or jog.
Ally Lewis on September 08, 2014:
I will definitely be implementing your techniques for getting rid of cellulite. It seems that it's always on my legs and nowhere else, and I'm a relatively in-shape person! So frustrating. Thanks for the suggestions.
Dora Weithers from The Caribbean on September 08, 2014:
Your title pulled me to your article. I didn't have time to notice cellulite in my busy years; now I do and getting rid of it is among my top priorities. Thanks for all your suggestions; will try as many as I can.