One fact which seems to have escaped the notice of the fashion industry is the definition of the word 'normal'. Since statistics show that the majority of American women are 'plus' size, this means that 'plus size' is now normal, so why is it that you have to go to specialized stores for plus sized clothing?
It's true that many stores now carry a limited 'plus' range, but it seems that some items are still very difficult to find. Plus size lingerie, the kind that makes you feel attractive and sexy, but without making you feel like you're wearing a costume or moonlighting as a hooker, is really difficult to track down, and that's a problem, especially for brides looking for something sexy, plus size and elegant to wear on their wedding night.
One problem is that most lingerie manufacture is now done in China, with the result that most is made for the mass market. Although there has been some progress in the availability of plus size wedding dresses, plus size lingerie and nightwear lags behind. Large manufacturers continue to believe that brides don't fall into the plus size range.
Why Plus Size Brides Are a Real and Active Market
As we all know, brides are young, foolish things who diet like made prior to their wedding day. It is largely because the bridal market is perceived as being a youth market that the plus size sector does not receive the attention it deserves. Yes, there are many stores and web sites where you can buy plus size lingerie, but few are of high quality. The market believes that
1. Most brides are young women. This is true, but there are many brides who marry for the second or third time. These brides are older and often with more disposable income than first time brides whose trousseau is often funded by parents.
2. Young women are not plus size. This is just plain wrong.
3. When say they want to look sexy, women mean they mean they want to look cheap. This is just wrong. For many women, feeling good is what makes them feel sexy, and they feel good when they know they look good. Most women I know find it difficult to feel sexy in extremely revealing clothes, often because they are very self-conscious about their bodies. That's why most of the underwear men buy for the women in their lives goes in a drawer. And stays there.
Where to Shop Online for Plus Size Lingerie
- Lingerie Plus Size, Sexy Plus Lingerie, Plus Size Sexy Lingerie
Ideal if you want that 'cheap and available' look. I don't mind the idea of available, but personally I'd rather look expensive.
- Leading Lady Sports Bra 514 - Leading Lady Bras
When I checked this site, which appears under a search for plus size lingerie, I was really surprised at the lack of choice. I did search by size and found one single item under sleepwear, and that was a bra. Do the search and see what you think.
- Plus Size Lingerie | Plus Size Babydolls, Chemises and Gowns by Hips & Curves
This company comes up first in a google search for plus size lingerie. If this is your idea of sexy, then they have a wide selection of sizes, but if you're looking for elegantly sexy, I'd say no, you won't find it here.
- Plus Size Sleepwear, Pajamas, Robes, & Nightgowns | Catherines
I'm not sure who this collection of plus size nightwear is aimed at. Basic, with nothing for special occasions.
- Plus Size Lingerie & Sleepwear: Sleepwear & Robes for Women | One Stop Plus
If you enjoy the corsets and suspenders look, then you'll find something here.
- Plus Size Lingerie & Sleepwear: Sleepwear for Women | Roamans
Here you'll find a wide selection of sleepwear, ideal for every day, but if you're looking for something really special, you may be out of luck.
- Peignoir sets, silk robes and silk sleepwear in every size.
Elegantly sexy and available in your size, since they are made to measure. Expensive.