Do not want the mess of sticky, streaky liquids? Powder foundations are good because they can be applied really easily in very short time.
Do not go shopping without reading about these superb foundations that not only control oil but also provide decent coverage.
1.Merle Norman Ultra Powder Foundation
Merle Norman ultra-powder foundation is ideal for those oily skinned ladies who desire decent coverage but do not like or have time for liquid foundation. If you are one of those you are going to love this product and will be kicking yourself why you did not use it earlier.
Merle Norman Ultra Powder Foundation provides sheer to almost full coverage. It can be applied wet or dry. Its fine texture efficiently absorbs oil, leaving a flawless matte finish. Lasting power is great. It stays put for hours, your makeup will not melt off even in summer.
You should not use it as a setting powder over heavy foundation because that would make it look cakey. For a gorgeous look, sponge it over a primer or tinted moisturizer or very light liquid foundation. Because of its creamy consistency it goes on much better if you apply it with a sponge than with a powder brush.
The powder goes on smooth, so touch ups are easy. Shade range is wide, you can easily find your perfect match.
- The color selection is huge, lots of beautiful shades for warm and cool skin tones.
- Excellent oil control.
- Lasts all day with minimal touch ups.
- Sheer to almost full coverage that hides flaws well.
- Does not oxidize.
- Dos not highlight pores or settle in fine lines.
- Transfer resistant.
- keeps make up in place even through heat, humidity and sweat.
- It contains talc and fragrance. If you are sensitive to talc or fragrance, avoid this product.
- The price is steep.
- The packaging is ugly and looks cheap and off putting..
- For really noticeable spots, you will be needing a good concealer.
2.Mac Studio Fix Powder plus Foundation
World famous powder foundation that’s best for those oily skinned ladies who suffer from the problem of foundation melting off or disappearing from the face. Mac Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation is a finely pressed powder that’s very good at increasing the lasting power and coverage of a good liquid foundation.
If you do not have a lot to hide, use it alone but wear a good mattifying primer underneath to help control oil well. You will never feel so comfortable and beautiful wearing minimal makeup.
If you want serious coverage use it over a good liquid foundation or pair it with Mac concealer and finish the look with a setting spray. Be careful while using it over a full coverage liquid foundation because this powder itself has pretty good coverage and if you use too much you will end up with a bad cakey look.
- High quality, scent free foundation.
- Medium to full coverage
- Lasts a long time (7-8+ hours).
- High coverage but does not look cakey.
- Minimizes pores and hides redness well.
- There are so many shades to pick from.
- Beautiful matte finish.
- Light on the skin and allows it to breathe.
- Travel friendly packaging that comes with a sponge and mirror.
- Controls oil and shine;Good for oily and combination skin.
- Does not cling to dry patches.
- It can be hard to select a right shade, so do some online research before you buy it.
- Go one shade lighter than your skin color because it does oxidize and turn darker.
- If you have very sensitive skin, be careful it contains talc that can irritate your skin.
- Not cruelty free.
- If your skin is very oily you will have to use a good primer and setting spray or it will turn oily soon.
- If you drop it, it will crack.
3.Wet n wild Coverall pressed powder
Wet n wild coverall pressed powder is an excellent option for a budget conscious woman.
Enclosed in a black pan with semi-transparent flip cover, wet n wild cover all pressed powder is a very versatile, super affordable product. It can be used on its own or it can be worn over a liquid foundation or BB cream to get additional coverage. But go light on this if you use it over a full coverage foundation.
If used on its own, wet n wild coverall pressed powder gives medium coverage when used dry and full coverage when used wet.
This is a suitable product for oily to combination skin. But if your skin is very oily you might a need a mattifying primer underneath.
If you have never used a powder as foundation or want to see whether a powder foundation would even suit you, try wet n wild cover all pressed powder before you buy an expensive one. You will not regret it!
- Very affordable.
- Finely milled powder with silky soft feel.
- Soaks up shine and excess oil.
- Long lasting.
- Can work as a setting powder.
- Beautiful natural matte finish.
- Covers blemishes and zits well.
- Medium to full coverage (medium when used dry and full when used wet)
- A perfect product to set your BB cream or use on its own.
- Cruelty free.
- Can accentuate dry patches.
- It doesn’t contain any SPF factor, so you will have to wear a good sunscreen underneath it before you step out in the sun.
- For very dark circles or spots you might need a concealer .
- Do not drop this powder or tap it too hard, it will break.
- cheap, flimsy packaging. There’s no mirror and the accompanying sponge is kind of rough. Even by Wet 'n' Wild's standards, this packaging is bad.
- Only comes in a few fair-looking colors.
4.Illamasqua Powder Foundation
Whether you are looking for a touch up powder or a powder to use alone as a foundation or a powder to set your liquid foundation. Illamasqua powder foundation can satisfy your needs.
When used alone as a foundation, it gives beautiful medium coverage that is easily buildable to full. If you love powder foundations but have a lot to hide like pigmentation or acne scarring then this is the right product for you because it will give you decent full coverage easily. But if you do not want full coverage then try some other powder by Illamasqua like Illamasqua loose powder
Illamasqua powder foundation is a great multitasker. It blends well, no matter what makeup you are wearing.so use it to increase the coverage of your liquid foundation and create lovely flawless base.
Those who want their touch up powder to have good coverage will also love this product.
- Medium to full coverage that is easily buildable.
- A high performance pressed powder foundation.
- 13 shades to choose from.
- Lasts well on oily skin.
- Paraben free.
- Good for covering acne scars and marks.
- Gives a beautiful matte finish.
- Covers redness well.
- Controls oil well.
- Can be used both dry and wet. Dry gives a beautiful medium coverage and wet gives a flawless full coverage.
- Some might find fragrance (vanilla-chocolate cake like smell) irritating.
- The packaging is hard to open, If you drop it the powder cake will break.
- You will be needing a good face primer.
- Contains talc.
5.Nyx Stay Matte but not Flat Powder Foundation
Housed in a chunky double compartment black compact Nyx Stay Matte but not Flat Powder Foundation is most suitable for those who have oily skin and like spending time in front of camera. It photographs very nicely. It’s also good for those whose skin gets irritated by talc or mineral oil. This powder is free from both of these two ingredients.
It’s an easy to apply powder foundation. For medium coverage apply some primer before you put on this powder and you are good to go.
When used alone this powder will not give you full coverage, if you try to have full coverage, it will end up looking cakey. So do not use it too much and apply a good concealer to hide problematic spots or pair it with a liquid foundation with good coverage.
This product has a bit of shimmer in it perhaps this is the reason it looks so good on film and gives beautiful matte but not flat look.
- Talc and mineral oil free.
- Feels very light on the skin.
- Blends well and does not look powdery (unless you use too much)
- Beautiful natural matte finish that’s slightly dewy but not greasy.
- Easily affordable.
- Water proof.
- Sweat proof.
- Controls oil well for up to five hours.
- Decent light to medium coverage.
- Beautiful vibrant healthy looking finish.
- Bulky packaging with poorly designed mirror.
- The product runs out quickly.
- It does not give as much coverage as it claims.
- Lasting power is not more than 5 to 6 hours but a good setting spray can fix that.
- Clings to dry patches so using a moisturizer is a must.
- Those with very oily skin may find the subtle radiance in the finish undesirable.
6.Clinique Beyond Perfecting powder Foundation + Concealer
Those with active acne always have so much trouble finding a good foundation. Creamy or stick foundations though provide good coverage but they are heavy and aggravate acne. Powder foundation is best for oily acne prone skin.
Clinique beyond perfecting powder foundation has been made especially for those struggling with acne. It’s lightweight, non-comedogenic and contains oil absorbing particles to keep oil and acne in control.
For flawless look, Use spot concealer to hide very troubled areas and then apply this powder.
This powder foundation will not treat your acne or make your skin better in any way than before but it will not aggravate your acne while providing decent coverage.
- A good natural looking coverage.
- It does not settle into creases and fine lines.
- Good color range of 15 shades to select from.
- Fragrance free and Parabens free.
- Double-sided sponge-applicator with a pointed tip.
- Oil free formula will not clog pores.
- Beautiful natural looking finish.
- Best for oily acne prone skin.
- Light to medium gorgeous buildable coverage.
- It’s a good Powder but it will not conceal all your imperfections as it promises,you will still need a concealer underneath. Be careful while selecting the concealer as it might aggravate your skin.
- On very oily skin it fades after 4-5 hours.
7.Mineral Wear®Talc-Free Mineral Loose Powder
Average Price: $10.83
It’s a decent powder for its price. Due to its shorter list of ingredients, its suitable for oily and acne prone skin. It can be used as a setting powder and also as a powder foundation with a good sheer but buildable coverage. It has a nice satin matte finish which will last you all day.
If you have very sensitive acne prone skin that breaks out from almost everything, then give this a shot.
It lasts quite a while. One compact will last you 6-9 months of daily use .
- Talc free, silicone free and fragrance free.
- Sheer to medium coverage; covers redness, acne well.
- Good at reducing shine and oil.
- Gorgeous satin matte finish.
- Feels light and gentle on skin.
- Evens out skin tone
- Noncomedogenic; won’t clog pores.
- Holds up well over time.
- Conatins SPF
- The packaging is rather bulky and it breaks easily if dropped onto hard surfaces.
- The shade range is small.All the shades cater to light to medium skin tones.
- The brush that comes with it is useless.
- If you have a lot to hide you will need to a concealer that provides decent coverage.
8.Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation
Average Price: $13
Neutrogena mineral sheers powder is an oil free, titanium based mineral powder, featuring time released antioxidants .The ingredients for this powder foundation are selected by dermatologists and are very gentle on skin. Its fragrance free and oil free thus suitable not just for oily skin but also for sensitive acne prone skin. You can use it as a finishing powder over foundation or just the powder itself. Light to medium coverage can easily be built while avoiding that cakey look. It’s also very easy for touch ups.
The really good thing about this powder is that it does not cake up easily. When you first apply it to your face, it may look powdery and flat but be patient. After a while the powder soaks up some of the moisture and oil on your face and completely melts into your skin, giving you beautiful natural finish. Your skin will look like your skin but much better!
- Contains SPF 20
- Feels like nothing is on your face.
- Fragrance free: doesn’t contain any bad smell of chemicals.
- Gives a fine Matte finish without making the skin look chalky or cakey.
- Does not clog pores.
- Provides sheer to medium coverage.
- Good for sensitive skin; will not dry out or irritate the skin.
- Covers redness and blemishes well.
- Long lasting; does not settle into face lines or change color as the day goes by.
- Packaging is chunky and unprofessional. They should replace the bulky packaging with something better that contains more product.
- Offered in only 8 shades.Those with dark skin or yellow undertones would have trouble finding the right shade.
- Unless you use a good primer and setting spray it does not last long.
- Contains parabens.