I've tried a number of natural face masks, some with varied results, and below are my top choices for the best masks you can make at home!
Real Beauty Shouldn't Cost You
You can buy the nicest clothes, the latest hairstyle, and the trendiest accessories, but when your face isn't looking its best, you don't feel at your best either.
To feel beautiful every day, it's important to put your best face forward. When your skin is healthy and glowing, you feel confident. Many women spend hundreds, sometimes thousands, of dollars on expensive exfoliating treatments, wrinkle creams, chemical peels, and many other pricey procedures.
But good news, everyone! You can get some of the same results of these treatments with many products you probably have in your home right now.
DIY Avocado Face Mask
Avocado has many health benefits, inside and out! These delicious fruits are very high in healthy fats, which studies have shown may help improve skin's suppleness and elasticity when consumed regularly.
Avocados are also high in vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant that is widely known to protect skin from UV damage and may even help repair damage from everyday activities. Combined with other essential nutrients like calcium, potassium, and magnesium, the ingredients in avocado make it the perfect at-home face mask go-to!
The best part of the mask? It's simple!
- Simply mash up a ripe avocado.
- Apply to your face using your fingers or a beauty spatula.
- Wait 30 minutes and remove the mask with a towel.
That's it! Plus, it's a great base if you'd like to mix in other skin-loving ingredients as well, such as:
- Lemon juice
- Green tea
Avocado is also great for sensitive, dry, acne-prone and combination skin so that everyone can use it! So Go Green for a Healthy Glow!
The Best Natural Toner: Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar is a very inexpensive facial cleanser available at almost all local food stores!
The beta-carotene ACV works to fight the toxins and bacteria in your skin and cleanse the skin of many of the impurities that can cause acne, discoloration, or dullness. Simply apply a small amount of ACV to a cotton ball and gently brush along your T-zone as your toner to remove dirt, oil and impurities.
As a bonus, drinking two tablespoons of ACV mixed with at least 8 ounces of water has been shown to help improve skin from the inside-out and to aid in weight loss as well!
Blackhead Buster: Egg Whites and Lemon Mask
For this mask, all you'll need are two eggs and one tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Separate the eggs and discard the yolks, as you'll only be using the egg whites for this mask.
- Add a tablespoon of lemon juice and whisk the mixture together until well-blended.
- Spread this mixture around your entire face, and don't worry if it appears to be thin; this is normal.
- Leave on for at least 15 minutes.
- Gently peel off. Do not rinse off! This mask is meant to pull out all of the gunk from your pores.
Use only 1-2 times a week, as this could lead to rashes and other issues if over-used.
I have also added other ingredients to this mask, such as:
- 1/2 a banana
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp of cream
Check which of these add-ins may be appropriate for your particular skin type before adding!
The Best Peel-Off Mask: Gelatin and Milk
My all-time favorite mask, and one I must say has provided the best results, comes courtesy of Allison at Petit Elefant, and you should check out her original article here for the complete breakdown.
To make this mask:
- simply mix one tbs. Unflavored gelatin (nothing with sugar, color or flavoring! Trust me, it could have the opposite of the desired effect) with 1 1/2-2 tbs. of milk.
- Heat mixture in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. Careful, it may be hot!
- Apply to your face quickly, as this hardens very, very fast.
- Leave the mask on for at least 20 minutes - the mask should be completely solid to the touch.
- Then, start peeling away!
This mask acts similarly to pore strips and pulls out blackheads, whiteheads, and those little hairs around your face. Apply to problem areas or all over, if desired. Your skin will feel fresh, incredibly soft, and your pores will thank you!
Best Natural Moisturizer and Make-up Remover: Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has been receiving an increasing amount of attention in the beauty world in the last few years, and it consistently lives up to the hype. It is great for sensitive and combination skin, but be sure to test it first if you have primarily oily skin.
- Reducing inflammation
- Increasing collagen production
- Naturally hydrating the epidermis
- Reducing the appearance of scars and dark spots
- Apply a small amount to your entire face before bed.
- Leave it on for a few minutes before wiping away any excess. Your skin should feel soft and moisturized to the touch but not oily!
- Wash regularly in the morning.
Coconut oil can also double as a make-up remover.
- Simply dab a cotton ball with some room-temperature oil
- Swipe across eyelids, lips, and the rest of your face as needed.
You'll be pleasantly surprised at how much comes off naturally and for far less than your go-to remover.
- How to Make an Anti-Aging Honey and Lemon Face Mask
This article will show you how to make a face mask for clear and glowing skin using honey and lemons. This face mask is anti-aging and also works to lighten pigmentation, resulting in fairer, brighter skin!
- DIY Peel-Off Face Masks for Acne and Dull Skin
Make your own peel-off face masks with these simple recipes. You can make these masks at home with only a few ingredients to tackle acne or clear up dull skin. Most can be made with common ingredients like honey, tea tree oil, and gelatin.
- Does Coconut Oil Give You Perfect Skin? - Dermatologists on the Benefits of Coconut Oil
Coconut oil can be beneficial for cleansing your skin and removing makeup, but should you use coconut oil to treat acne? Dermatologist Joshua Zeichner explains the skincare benefits of using coconut oil.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
Kay Plumeau (author) from New Jersey, USA on November 17, 2015:
You always have such wonderful comments, K&T, thank you so much! Your writing is always a pleasure to read as well. Thank you!
Kiss andTales on November 17, 2015:
Wonderful information that is affordable .thank you for sharing your gift as a writer.
Kay Plumeau (author) from New Jersey, USA on October 06, 2015:
Thank you very much! Let me know if you try any out for yourself, I've tried them all with pretty good results, and I'd love to know how they work for others as well! =)
Kristen Howe from Northeast Ohio on October 05, 2015:
KMS, great ideas. Good hub!