Cellulite, this might just be the most hated word in the English language. I cringe when I hear it come up in conversation. I'm self conscious in a bikini because of it. I would spend a small fortune to get rid of it. Unfortunately, I don't have a small fortune and spending a lot of money on treatments can end up landing you in debt. With cellulite.
With nearly 90% of women suffering from this almost incurable pest, you would think we wouldn't be as self conscious as we are about it. But, we are. Learning how to get rid of cellulite is listed as women's number one beauty concern.
Cellulite is commonly a women's problem. As stated above, about 90% of women suffer with some degree of cellulite. Only 10% of men do. Cellulite doesn't discriminate. It affects young and old alike; just as many teenage girls suffer with this issue as middle- age women. Both heavy and thin women agonize over this body issue. It seems no one is safe from the wrath of cellulite.
But, cellulite hasn't quite won the war yet. There are things that can be done to drastically improve it's appearance and help prevent more from forming. In this article we will discuss how to reduce the appearance of cellulite so you can be proud to show off your body!
What Is Cellulite ?
Simply put, cellulite is the name for fatty deposits that occur under the skin, causing an uneven and dimpled appearance. Cellulite usually forms on the buttocks and thighs, because these are the areas that we tend to carry more weight.
What Causes Cellulite ?
There are many causes of cellulite, and different people get it for different reasons. The most common causes of cellulite are listed below.
- Genetics (Thank your parents)
- Poor diet
- Low activity level
- Hormonal changes
- Poor circulation
- Unhealthy weight
- Wearing tight clothes and undergarments
- Birth Control Pills
How To Get Rid Of Cellulite
There is no quick fix to getting rid of cellulite. Anyone telling you different is not being honest. You may never fully get rid of your cellulite but you can definitely reduce the appearance of it, if you are willing to make some changes to your daily routine.
The sooner you begin treating cellulite, the more luck you will have.
- Maintain a healthy weight for your body. Being overweight or fluctuating in size can intensify cellulite.
- Drink Water. Increase your intake of water, 8-10 glasses is recommended daily. Water hydrates your entire body and helps flush out the toxins that cause cellulite.
- Avoid Alcohol and Cigarettes. These substances create toxins in your body and can damage your skin's natural elasticity.
- Clean up your diet. Avoid junk food and sodas, and limit your intake of butter. Avoid excessive sugar and salt, they promote water retention. Replace these toxic foods with fruits and vegetables that are rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber. Aim to add lots of protein and wholegrain foods to your diet also. Some spices such as black pepper, garlic, and cayenne pepper are believed to help reduce cellulite because of their antioxidant properties, so they are worth adding to your diet too. For a list of foods that cause cellulite read here.
- Supplements. Certain supplements are thought to improve the appearance of cellulite such as Vitamin C, Vitamin E, fish oil, gingko balboa, and glucosamine. They are worth a try, they certainly won't make cellulite worse.
- Exercise. Exercise is still one of the best ways to reduce cellulite. Aim to exercise about 5 days a week for 30 minutes. Yoga, Pilates, and walking are easy and effective workouts that can help you achieve your goal.
- Skin brushing. Skin brushing is a simple at home treatment that you can perform daily to reduce cellulite.
- Get a tan. Cellulite is more noticeable on pale skin. A nice bronze color will camouflage your trouble areas, making them appear smother and more toned.
- Cold Rinse. After finishing your shower turn the water on cold and let it run over your body for a few minutes, This tones and firms your body making cellulite less noticeable.
- Cellulite Creams. Most of the creams available only temporarily reduce the appearance of cellulite, they do not correct the problem. However, there are a few good ones out there but most of them aren't worth the money. If you would like to try one, look for a cream that contains about 5% caffeine for the best results.
In the end diet, exercise, and making good lifestyle choices are the only ways proven to get rid of cellulite. Expensive and fancy procedures such as liposuction are not designed to reduce cellulite, they often make it worse. So, focus on creating a healthier body and soon you will discover a firmer you, with way less cellulite.
Exercises To Reduce Cellulite
Read More On Cellulite
- The Easy Anti-Cellulite Diet
Combating and preventing cellulite is easier than you think! There are no tasteless recipes or a strict schedule to follow. There are no rules, just guidelines. In fact, there are only four simple guidelines to prevent cellulite.
- How I Finally Got Rid of My Cellulite
After having my second baby, I went through a very difficult period where I really struggled to get my figure back. My first pregnancy didn't seem so bad. I quickly got back into my routine of hitting the gym three days a week after work and...
Amy Rowe on May 02, 2013:
Great suggestions! And that's a really bad picture of Britney!
Lisa Stover (author) from Pittsburgh PA on March 29, 2013:
Thanks, I appreciate it!
mr-veg from Colorado United States on March 28, 2013:
Nicely done Lisa am passing this on to my friends !!
Lisa Stover (author) from Pittsburgh PA on March 26, 2013:
Thanks for reading fulloflovesites! Yes life is not fair, guys are spared from some of the less than lovely things we women face.
FullOfLoveSites from United States on March 26, 2013:
@LisaMarie (hub author) - I'm about to post the same sentiments about us women's likelihood of having cellulite. Yeah, life's not fair after all. Even female celebrities are not spared from that cellulite. Lucky guys. Hahahaha.
Thanks for your helpful suggestions. Up, useful. :)
Lisa Stover (author) from Pittsburgh PA on March 01, 2013:
It's not fair we have to deal with cellulite on top of everything else LauraDo93, men get away with everything (lol).
Laura Tykarski from Pittsburgh PA on March 01, 2013:
Count me in(as seen through your poll I am not alone) I haven't had children but after forty everything started going wacko with my body. Good hub and great tips.
Lisa Stover (author) from Pittsburgh PA on July 19, 2012:
Thanks for the info.
celluitediary on July 19, 2012:
Swapping fatty meats such as pork for leans ones such as fish and chicken can help reduce cellulite www.cellulitediary.com
Lisa Stover (author) from Pittsburgh PA on June 27, 2012:
dwachira, the cold rinse feels great, especially now in the summer. It wakes up your entire body. Thanks for reading and voting! Brenda12lynette, I wish there was a simple pill we could take and it would go away lol but for now the routines described in this article are as close as we are going to get!
brenda12lynette from Utah on June 27, 2012:
Great hub!! Over the last couple years I've noticed that pesky cellulite more and more. Thanks for giving me some ways to fight back!
Danson Wachira from Nairobi, Kenya on June 27, 2012:
These are very healthy tips, i like the idea of cold rinse after shower. Thanks. Voted up, useful and shared.
Lisa Stover (author) from Pittsburgh PA on June 21, 2012:
Ania and honey, you are right on the money! Yoga is a great way to tone and firm your body, and is an enjoyable workout.
Anil from Kerala on June 21, 2012:
Good, yes, you are correct 90% woman suffering fat problem. I suggests 'Yoga' for overcome it. Yoga is a meditation. It is related to Indian culture.
Anil from Kerala on June 21, 2012:
Good hub, yes, you are correct, 90% woman are suffering this problem. I suggest 'Yoga' for overcome this problem. Yoga is a meditation. It is connected with Indian culture. We can collect the impotence of Yoga from the Ancient Indian Saints.
Lisa Stover (author) from Pittsburgh PA on June 20, 2012:
Everything in here really works, it is just hard and time consuming to make so many changes. Especially to your eating habits, I love food, all kinds of food and giving up certain things is the hardest part. But, it makes sense. If we want our bodies to look fit and healthy on the outside it must be so on the inside.
Marlene Bertrand from USA on June 20, 2012:
Lots of helpful information here. I really struggle with cellulite. One thing I do is apply lotion to my problem areas. I think just the rubbing action is what helps. In any event, I notice that my cellulite decreases somewhat when I agitate the skin in that area. I think all of your suggestions are totally worth trying.
Lisa Stover (author) from Pittsburgh PA on June 19, 2012:
Thanks billybuc! We should all aim to eat healthier and drink more water anyway :)
Bill Holland from Olympia, WA on June 19, 2012:
Very interesting hub with great suggestions. Nicely done!