Are you on a tight budget but do not want your hair color to fade?
Look after your color treated hair with these inexpensive shampoos that have been specially formulated to treat dry, damaged or chemically processed hair. Scroll through this list of 7 best drugstore shampoos for color treated hair for seven ways to keep the dye alive and save money.
Suave Keratin Infusion Color Care Shampoo
Average Price=$6 for 12 oz.
If you are reluctant to try Suave products just because they are so cheap and will harm your carefully colored hair .Don’t be! Sauvé Keratin Infusion Color Care Shampoo is gentle to color treated hair.It is low in sulfates and is PH balanced.
A suitable product for those whose hair is prone to frizz and dryness. This shampoo will hydrate and smooth your hair and make it easy to comb through even when it is wet.But do not forget to follow with a good hydrating conditioner.
Packaging is simple and functional and easy to dispense the product out with slippery hands.
Suave Keratin Infusion Color care shampoo is a good shampoo for color treated hair. If for some reason it does not work for you, you are only out a couple of bucks!
- Low in sulfates.
- Controls frizz.
- Lathers well and cleanses well.
- Contains keratin to make hair extra smooth.
- Very inexpensive.
- Makes hair look shiny and vibrant.
- Gently cleanses to help keep color vibrant.
- Rinses clean and doesn't leave any build-up.
- Easily available at drugstores.
- Suitable for color treated frizzy hair.
- Weird smell but it does not last once you dry your hair.If it does not go away , use a good conditioner to cover up the smell.
- Not for thin fine hair.
- The matching conditioner is not very hydrating.Instead try Aussie three minute miracle moisture conditioner.
- If you are looking for something natural and low in chemicals,this may not be the right product.
TIGI Bed Head Color Goddess Oil Infused Shampoo
Average Price: 21$ for both shampoo and conditioner(750 ml each)
TIGI Bedhead Color Goddess Oil infused Shampoo is an ideal product for those who want a shampoo that does not strip color, smells heavenly and is also very affordable.
Infused with pro-vitamin B5, vitamin E, nourishing sweet almond oil, coconut oil and keratin, TIGI Bed Head Color Goddess shampoo gently cleanses away the dirt and leaves your hair soft, smooth and smelling nice. The scent of the shampoo lingers until the next time you wash your hair. The matching conditioner is rich and luxurious. It nourishes and detangles your hair while depositing a micro layer of water repelling agents to seal in your hair color and make it look silky and vibrant.
Tigi Bed Head Color Goddess oil infused shampoo is a sulfate free product that is gentle to color treated hair or thermally damaged hair, provides essential moisture, smooths and shines and also protects hair from UV damage.
Packaged in massive bottles, that are very convenient to use. The shampoo and conditioner will last you for months.
So, feed your color addiction and get loads of compliments about how nice your hair smells.
- Sulfate free
- a little goes along ways
- The shampoo bottle is very large. It comes with a pump and contains a lot of product.
- Cleanses hair without drying it out.
- Eliminates frizz
- Keeps color longer.
- The Scent is captivating.
- Seals in the hair color.
- Massive bottles that last for months.
- Some may find the scent overpowering.
- The packaging is not travel friendly
- The dispenser is tricky to open.
- There's nothing to suggest it's not tested on animals
- someone who goes through a harsh chemical process or heat process may actually find that this does not work well for them
Herbal Essence Color Me Happy Shampoo
Average price=6$ for 34 oz
Packaged in a cute flip top plastic bottle, Herbal Essence Color Me Happy Shampoo is ideal for those ladies who have color treated hair but think that sulfate free shampoos do not clean their hair very well.
If you don’t like sulfate free products and your hair is a little on the oilier side, you should consider this shampoo. It will take away all the grease while leaving your hair with enough moisture and lots of shine.This shampoo is very effective at cleaning hair thoroughly and it does not leave any residue in your hair.
Infused with Moroccan rose and passion fruit nectar, Herbal Essence Color Me Happy shampoo helps to reveal the natural shine of your hair while preventing color fade. The scent of the shampoo is floral and refreshing and it stays in your hair for days.
Color Me Happy shampoo completely removes build up and your hair will not feel flat, greasy or dirty quicker. A great choice for color treated oily hair!
- Super affordable
- Leave hair squeaky clean.
- Does not leave any residue or gunk of any kind.
- Pleasant but light rose smell.
- Cleanses oily roots very well and the matching conditioner does not weigh hair down.
- You can store the bottle upside down without falling over, and it's easy to open in the shower with wet fingers.
- Makes hair smell nice.
- A concentrated shampoo so a little goes a long way.
- Cruelty free.
- Herbal Essences is available at most drugstores and major retailers world wide
- This is not a shampoo for dry hair.
- Not for daily use, it can over dry your hair and the matching conditioner is not very reparative.
- Contains sulfates.
- If you have any scalp problems this may not be the right shampoo
- Don't expect the quality of a $60 shampoo here, but for the price this is definitely worth it
Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo
Average Price=10$ for 13 oz.
Keeping a healthy scalp is key to growing strong and silky tresses. Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo is rich in scalp nourishing ingredients. It is a unique blend of organic shea butter ,sea kelp, Argan oil and Coconut oil which promote the health of hair and scalp without stripping it of its natural oils. The gentle formula aids in moisture retention and gives dry, damaged or coarse hair a soft and smooth texture.
Shea Moisture’s Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo is a very gentle moisturizing cleanser. It has minimal ingredients. Free of sulfates, Phthalates and parabens, it’s a very suitable shampoo for color treated hair. It gently cleanses away dirt and build up without stripping the hair of color and moisture.
Though really meant for dark curly hair, it fulfills all the needs of color treated hair. It provides moisture and nourishment through natural oils and and hair growth promoting pro vitamin B5, and it is gentle enough to not strip the hair color.
- Well priced.
- A gentle moisturizing cleanser.
- Free of mineral oils and DEA.
- A bottle will last you for months.
- A truly sulfate free shampoo. It neither contains sodium laureth sulfate nor its close relatives.
- paraben free
- Using this shampoo especially in winter prevents dandruff.
- A gentle shampoo that does not strip color and helps prevent color fade.
- Helps heal split ends, add moisture, and add shine.
- Great for curly girls
- No Phthalates
- No Paraffin
- Tan in color and strong scent.
- Those with oily hair may not like it because of its moisturizing properties.
- Hard to rinse out.
- Does not lather much. Washing with this shampoo takes a little longer than washing with a sulfate shampoo and rinsing out
- The bottle is hard to squeeze out the product.
- Builds up over time, so use a good clarifying shampoo. Neutrogena Clarifying Shampoo works best for all hair types, is inexpensive and thoroughly cleanses. But use it only once in 10 days.In frequent use of this clarifying shampoo will not harm your color.
- If you want maximum volume and want nothing to tame your hair then stay clear of this.
L'Oreal Paris Ever Pure Sulfate-Free Color Care Moisture Shampoo
Average Price=$7 for 8.5 oz.
L’Oréal Ever pure Moisture shampoo provides all the care and moisture that color treated hair needs.Rich in rosemary and juniper extract, the shampoo deeply replenishes dry color treated hair.
100% sulfate free creamy formula is free of salts and harsh surfactants that strip color and make hair dull, dry and damaged. Your color remains pure for weeks and your hair shine with vibrancy and health.
If your hair is color treated and need volume,try L'Oreal Ever pure volume shampoo.It will give your hair the volume that it needs and also moisture and shine.
Ever pure Moisture Shampoo Works well with L’Oréal Ever Pure Sulfate-Free moisture Conditioner.
- Very affordable Sulfate free Shampoo.
- Helps keep the frizz & flyaways at bay.
- Packaging is not bulky and lid on bottom is easy to use
- Keeps hair from getting brassy.
- Keeps color shiny
- Paraben and sulfate free
- Good for curly colored hair.
- It lathers and cleans nicely for a sulfate-free shampoo.
- The scent can be overbearing for some.
- The hydration leaves a bit to be desired but it does help maintain color. Use a nourishing deep conditioner frequently.
- Inverted packaging causes the shampoo to leak out.
- Overtime with exclusive use of this shampoo might make your hair dry and coarse.
Nexxus Color Assure Vibrancy Retention Shampoo
Average price=$16 for 1 litre
Nexxus Color Assure Vibrancy Retention shampoo is true to its name. Not only it protects color but also adds vibrancy and shine in the hair.
The old formula of this shampoo contained sulfates but the new formula is completely free of sulfates.It’s a very gentle shampoo for color treated hair. It comes in different types of packaging. The liter packaging is very cheap. You can get one liter of this high quality shampoo in just 16$.
Nexxus color assure shampoo is free of sulfates and harsh surfactants.It uses natural oils to cleanse hair so overtime with continuous use, you might get build up in your hair.To fix that use a good clarifying shampoo like Neutrogena anti residue shampoo.if you want to use an even gentler clarifying shampoo Giovanni Triple treat is a good option.its free of sulfates and rich in tea tree oil which is very good for hair.
To leave your hair shiny and silky with vibrant color ,Nexxus recommends using shampoo on thoroughly wet hair,following it with conditioner Nexxus Color Assure Conditioner that should be left for a few minutes and rinsed. To unlock captivating shine, finish with Nexxus Color Assure Tonic on damp hair.
- A gentle cleanser that does not strip hair of moisture and color.
- Sulfate free.
- Silicone free.
- The liter packaging is very affordable.
- A good salon quality sulfate free shampoo for color treated hair.
- Rich in vitamin B5 and UV protectors.
- Keeps color fresh and vibrant.
- Helps protect hair from damaging effects of coloring and makes hair pigment last longer.
- Leaves hair stronger, thicker and less prone to breakage.
- Does not lather much.
- Can create build up so you must use a good clarifying shampoo.
- The scent can be an issue and it does linger in hair
Agadir Argan Oil Daily Moisturizing Shampoo
Average Price=$11 for 12 oz.
Do you constantly battle dryness and your hair is damaged with repeated coloring and heat styling?
Agadir Argan Oil Daily Moisturizing Shampoo will provide all the moisture that your thirsty locks need without weighing them down.
Rich in Argan oil whose powerful healing and moisturizing properties are no secret. For centuries, women across Mediterranean have used Argan oil in their beauty regimens for healthy skin and silky hair .Argan oil is packed with anti-oxidants, linoleic acids and omega -6 fatty acids. Thus it helps not only to provide much needed moisture but also promotes new hair growth and reduces dandruff.
Usually the shampoos that have Argan oil as an ingredient do not contain it in sufficient quantity and thus, have it near the bottom of the ingredients list. But Agadir Argan oil shampoo has Argan oil on its 5th ingredient and on conditioner it’s fourth.
Agadir Argan oil daily moisturizing Shampoo will bring life and texture back to your hair. The conditioner is also very good and hydratingꟷ it will tame frizzy hair and will leave it soft, smooth and manageable. This shampoo is most suitable for dry hair but if you have oily hair don’t be afraid to use. Just skip the conditioner or use it over the ends.
- Leaves hair soft and tamed.
- Cleanses gently without stripping hair color.
- Tames frizzy hair.
- You don’t have to use a lot. A little goes a long way.
- Does not strip hair of its natural moisture.
- Adds shine and volume to hair.
- Sulfate free but lathers well
- Paraben free.
- Good for color damaged hair.
- Cruelty free
- A bit pricy but you get a lot of product in the bottle.
- Spicy herbal scent that some may not like.
- Not a suitable product for very oily hair.
- Might cause an allergic reaction.