Melanie has a BS in physical science and is in grad school for analytics and modeling. Her research is in computational chemistry.
If you're thinking about getting a nose job, but aren't quite sure if it's what you really want to do, you're in the right place! Before getting any type of plastic surgery, it's important to weigh the pros and cons.
Before committing to plastic surgery, think about the reasons you're making this decision. Write down your own list of expectations in two columns. In one column, list the ways your life will improve by getting plastic surgery and any other advantages that come to mind. In the other column, write down any worries you have about plastic surgery and any drawbacks you can think of.
If you decide to opt for the surgery, take your list with you when you meet your surgeon. You can use the list as a guide in asking questions. This will not only allow you to make an informed decision but help you to be confident in what you choose to do.
Should I get a nose job?
Rhinoplasty can substantially change your overall look. However, it's important to fully understand your expectations in the outcome of a nose job. If you have unrealistic expectations or worry about potentially regretting having your nose reshaped, you may find yourself unhappy with the outcome of the surgery and thus would not be a good candidate for this type of surgery.
It's important to list reasons you would like a nose job and to know what pros and cons apply to you so you can best weigh the benefits and risks. Below, we've broken down the pros and cons of rhinoplasty to help you on your path to deciding what's right for you.
The Pros: Good Reasons for Rhinoplasty
There are many compelling reasons to get a nose job:
- Increased confidence - If you feel that your nose is unattractive, fixing that problem can definitely increase your confidence. It's only natural to want to feel good about yourself!
- Fewer sinus infections - If you're prone to sinus infections, the shape of your nose may be the cause. Talk to your doctor to see if having surgery can correct this.
- Beauty standards - If you're not a fan of your nose because it's not like everyone else's, nose reshaping can help you fit in. It's always awesome to refuse conformity to social standards, but if your nose is a source of frustration for you, then plastic surgery is definitely an option.
- It can improve your breathing - Getting your nose done can improve breathing, especially if you've got a deviated septum. Nasal surgery can even help correct breathing-related sleep issues such as sleep apnea! If you're looking to get a nose job simply to improve a deviated septum, this can be achieved without drastically changing your overall look.
The Cons: Drawbacks to Getting a Nose Job
As you may have guessed, plastic surgery has a number of drawbacks:
- Special post-op care - After surgery, you'll have to take special precautions and extra care of your nose. The surgical site could become infected, which is a major complication for any type of plastic surgery.
- Pain, numbness - Your nose could potentially become numb or painful after surgery. This often goes away as time goes on, but sometimes it doesn't.
- Recurring confidence issues - If you choose to get a nose job on the basis of how you look, you might find something else wrong with your body. Issues with self-esteem should be worked out with a therapist, not a plastic surgeon.
- Regrets - Down the road, you might wish that you'd never had the surgery. You might even miss your old nose!
- Expectations - With plastic surgery, results can't be guaranteed. You might not come out with the nose you and your surgeon had planned.
- Cost - Rhinoplasty can be very expensive and insurance companies don't usually cover cosmetic surgery. Your nose job could cost you anywhere from $3000 to $8000. If you need your new nose fixed later, you could pay up to $15,000 to have your surgery revised!
- Difficulty choosing a surgeon - Choosing the right surgeon is extremely important. You will want a doctor that can provide the results you want at a price you can afford. This can make the process of selecting a surgeon stressful.
Plastic surgery has to be something that you decide. Don't make your decision based on how anyone else feels about you. Choose what will make you feel good about yourself.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
© 2012 Melanie
Diogenes on February 22, 2020:
I need to have an op for deviated septum but doubt if I will now as am ancient!
Wish I'd had it done earlier, though. Free here as well!
Interesting article but you didn't say much about the nasty op. itself and the pain some have experienced...with a septum op, though, they don't usually have to touch the bone if it's straight, do they? Just the cartilage
Helena Lakwatsera from Philippines on February 21, 2020:
Thank you very much, this is very helpful. In fact It made me realize a lot of things before deciding to go for a nose job.
Vin Chauhun from Durban on May 07, 2012:
the only reason i would condone a nose job is for medical reasons, i like my nose,,,,i wouldn't mind even if was longer...could come in handy as a can opener....hehehe
Ishwaryaa Dhandapani from Chennai, India on April 27, 2012:
Well-written hub on the thought-provoking subject! The pros and cons are clearly stated. Well-done!
Thanks for SHARING. Useful & Interesting. Voted up.
Teresa Coppens from Ontario, Canada on April 25, 2012:
Never contemplated a nose job but have dreamed of getting my hubby one if it would get rid of his snoring! Great hub Mel. Great list of pros and cons but I think I'll keep myself just the way I am!
handyhowto from California on April 24, 2012:
Go for it if you got the money .. or if your snoring keeps your boyfriend up at night ..
Phil Plasma from Montreal, Quebec on April 24, 2012:
Good list of pros and cons for anyone considering this, or really any type of plastic surgery. Voted up and useful.
diogenes from UK and Mexico on April 24, 2012:
Should you have it done? The Nose Knows!
I have needed this for varous reasons but have put it off and I'm glad I did.
Joseph De Cross from New York on April 23, 2012:
I'm fine with my nose and I'm not a politician, Thank God! Great tag! I mean, hub!
Kelly Umphenour from St. Louis, MO on April 23, 2012:
I would not want to actually have to get a nose job - sounds like it blows! Lol lol
Excellent hub idea but you always have the best ones:) up and everything!
Rebecca Mealey from Northeastern Georgia, USA on April 23, 2012:
This is a great quick check list of the pros and cons of a nose job! They surely are expensive,and not a minor surgery! I vote this way up and very helpful.