This is a cheat sheet of free flag football plays that is designed to be printed out and used by the coach or players in practice and games. This flag football playbook can also be cut up with a paper-cutter or scissors to be made to fit inside flag football wristbands for use in the huddle.
A few basic notes.
- The football formation can be flipped right or left.
- Each play can be called for a run (hand-off) or play action pass.
Taking the above two points into consideration these 8 basic flag football plays can actually be run as 32 distinct plays with some simple play calling. When designing a system for play calling I prefer to assign a number to each play along with a code for which side to line up on and a second code to indicate pass or run.
For example, lets look at the play "Trips Center Screen" and follow these steps
- Assign a number, we will use 21 for now
- Pick code for left or right. For this example use L for left and R for right.
- Pick another code for run or pass. For this example lets use X for run and Z for pass.
I can then call the "Trips Center Screen" play in 4 different ways:
- 21LX - line up left and hand-off
- 21RX - line up right (depicted in actual image) and hand-off
- 21LZ - line up left and pass
- 21RZ - line up right (depicted in actual image) and pass
Before using any of these flag football plays make sure they are legal according to the flag football rules of your league.
If you need more information, every flag football play presented on this hub will have a detailed explanation along with flag football coaching advice posted on the Youth Flag Football HQ website.
This is the legend for the flag football positions in the plays listed in this cheat sheet:
- A, B, D are wide receivers
- Q is the quarterback
- R is the running back
- C is the center
Check out my other hubs and blogs: