Should Ronaldo stay or will he leave Juventus for another club in the summer?
Juventus secured Uefa Champions League qualification on the last matchday of the season by beating Bologna 1–4 away from home yesterday. They had to rely on other results going their way in order for them to qualify for the champions league. They were given a helping hand after Napoli surprisingly drew against Verona 1–1 at home, with Ac Milan overtaking second-placed Atalanta courtesy of a 2–0 win yesterday. But the main question is will Cristiano Ronaldo be part of Juventus or will he leave Juventus’ Next season?
. There were doubts he may leave Juventus after a disappointing season, where they were dethroned as Serie A Champions after nine years by Inter Milan, who won the scudetto convincingly. Also the fact, the main reason he came to Juventus, was to help the club win the ever-elusive Champions league Title that they crave.
But after recent setbacks in the champions league, most notably their defeats against Porto and Lyon in the last two seasons there is growing concern amongst fans and pundits, that this might be his last season for the Bianconeri. After yesterday’s team sheet was announced those concerns seemed to be true, as he wasn’t named in the starting 11 for yesterday’s match against Bologna, with Andrea Pirlo the Juventus manager deciding to drop him for that crucial match yesterday.
Ronaldo has been the standout player for Juventus
- I believe it’s unfair to lay all the blame on Ronaldo for Juventus’s failure this season as the team has underperformed on all the fronts this season. Ronaldo has scored 36 goals in 44 appearances in all competitions, which is a good return considering Ronaldo’s age (36), and the fact that he was the Serie -A player of the year for the last two years goes to show that he has stood up for the team when he was called upon.
- Also, Ronaldo played a pivotal role in helping Juventus win the Scudetto twice after his arrival in 2019 where he was the top scorer for the club in both seasons. His performances in the champions league have been decent but being the greatest player and the top scorer of that competition, fans were hoping that he would be the final missing piece of that champions league puzzle that Juventus have been trying to solve for 22 years.
- As a Ronaldo fan, I hate to admit this, but he hasn’t been able to replicate his magical form for Juventus in the champion league, as he was able to do for Real Madrid, where he was the top scorer of the champion league for three consecutive seasons and also won the champions league with Madrid 4 times in 5 years. Ronaldo was the driving force of that Aging Madrid team similar to Juventus, but in moments where the team has to perform as a unit, Juventus has fallen short in that department especially in the knockout stages of the Champions League.
Rebuilding is required for Juventus.
- Their defeats against Porto and Lyon exposed their deficiencies in midfield and defense, where the midfield was very static in terms of movement and ball distribution. The signing of Adrien Rabiot in midfield was meant to sort out that issue but it was still evident this season as there is not a forward-thinking midfielder who can spray passes all along the pitch and also one who can identify the runs of the forwards quickly.
- The signing of Federico Chiesa was a good move by Juventus, where the forward chipped in with vital goals this season. If Ronaldo stays, there is a chance, both form a lethal partnership in front of the goal which would help Juventus to challenge again.
- With Juventus’s well-documented attempts at joining the Breakaway super league, it means the club is still very much in Debt. In order to purchase new players, they might have to sell some of their own, which makes the likelihood of Ronaldo leaving the club very high.
A return to Manchester United/ Real Madrid or a Move to PSG?
- Frankly speaking, being a Liverpool fan, I would hate it if he were to return to Manchester United, but that move is still possible. Mainly United have performed remarkably under Solskjaer this season where they finished second in the premier league and have the Europa League final against Villareal to look forward to.
- Bringing in Ronaldo again would help the club regain its status and Ronaldo’s proven pedigree in the premier league will help them massively in challenging Manchester City for the title and also in Europe.
- The long-term effect of the move is another factor, where Youngsters like Marcus Rashford, Mason greenwood will have a chance to play alongside their hero Ronaldo and also will help them take that next step in developing themselves into world-class players. If he manages to win the big titles with united again that will confirm GOAT Status in manchester united history.
- But there is a high probability that he will end up either in Madrid or PSG because of their high spending power and all respect to United, a better chance at competing for major honors at those clubs. Whereas being Real Madrid’s greatest ever player, there is a chance to show Madrid what they have been missing ever since they sold him to Juventus.
Moving to PSG will be a similar challenge to Juventus, where the club is desperate to win the champions league and the relishing prospect of linking him up with superstars such as Neymar and Mbappe will be advantageous to both PSG & Ronaldo in the long run. Not to mention Neymar has already outlined his desire to play alongside Ronaldo.
Personally, I believe he will leave Juventus or they might be tempted to sell him for a good fee if they receive a good offer. I think he will move to Real Madrid again, which would be a sensible move for him or PSG. The deal would be beneficial for both Juventus and Ronaldo in the long run if they were to part ways.
Sources- Transfermarkt, Wikipedia.
© 2021 Diganth Shetty