Muscle Building Tips
Get Bigger Muscles In 10 Days
Believe it or not there is a formula and methodology that answers the question how to shock your muscles into growth, and its not all about how you workout either. The human body has various needs when it comes to building muscle and there are a number of factors that can influence how much muscle you will gain during a certain period of time.
This article will help others understand what it takes to trigger a growth response within the muscles and will discuss techniques and potential factors that will influence how big your muscle gains will be. In order to successfully build muscle its important to understand how workout routines can influence your results, what foods help promote lean muscle gain and the most important things that your body needs to build muscle. In fact, you can learn a lot about what it takes to build muscle by resourcing to other bodybuilding resources.
Work Your Muscles Hard But Not Too Hard
In order to shock your muscles into growth, you need to work them hard. Explosive workouts are important if you want to see maximum muscle gain. Switch up your routine every week and do different exercises that work the same muscles in different ways. If you do bench press one week, do incline bench press and decline bench press next week. Continue to switch up your routine so that your muscle is constantly adapting and developing. If you do the same workout every day you will eventually reach a plateau and therefore you will find it hard to continue building muscle.
Foods that Help Your Muscles Grow
If you want your muscles to grow, its important that you eat a balanced diet with plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and protein. It is also important that you have variety in your diet. Don't be one of those bodybuilders that says that they eat 12 oz. of steak everyday, it may be a great way to build muscle but its not balanced and its not healthy to eat the same thing every day. Include veggies, fruits, whole wheat bread and whole grains and your fine.
Foods That Help You Build Muscle
- Beans (superhealthy, high in protein, heart healthy, with plenty of amino acids)
- Fish ( definitely one of the best lean choices for a high protein diet)
- Tofu (a potent staple to a high protein diet)
- Eggs (In moderate amounts, eggs are great. But if you eat eggs everyday in large amounts, please know that that is a lot of unnecessary cholesterol. Most of the cholesterol is in the egg yolk and that is why egg whites are so popular. Egg whites contain over 90% of the protein anyway.)
- Lean Red meats like steak are high in protein and are great!!! Just don't go barbecue every night.
- Chicken is another lean meat that is very high in protein. Chicken has less saturated fat than ground beef and is still very high in protein. Its also very tasty.
What The Body Needs To Build Muscle
Our bodies have basic needs and if these basic needs are not met our bodies will either become malnourished or deprived. When this happens our body cannot grow because it needs more nutrients to grow. When our body does not get enough food or nutrients, it looks to metabolize our muscles for nutrients and this means our body is in a catabolic state. If you want to build muscle, you want to keep your body in an anabolic state as often as possible.
- Catabolic - When our metabolism breaks down muscle for protein, the muscle supplies the body with energy. Being in a Catabolic state happens when you've been working out for an extended period of time and the body looks for alternate sources of energy. It also happens when you have not eaten for a long time. (For Example: Skipping Lunch is bad)
- Anabolic - This is when your body is metabolizing its preferred source of energy. The body is nourished and well fed and therefore your body does not need to break down muscle for energy. This is why they recommend that bodybuilders eat 5 - 6 smaller portion meals per day. It keeps the metabolism running fast, constant, and it keeps the body in an anabolic state.
Your body needs to stay in an anabolic state to build muscle and In order to keep your body in an anabolic state, its important that your body's requirements are fulfilled in hydrated, nourished and rested way.
Essential Requirements Of The Body To Stay Healthy and Thus Build Muscle
- Water - Stay hydrated. Try to drink at least 8 (8 oz) glasses of water a day. This will help to keep your muscles hydrated which will promote growth and it will also help prevent random muscle injury caused by dehydration or overexertion. Our bodies are more fragile when they are dehydrated.
- Sleep - Our bodies need between 7 - 8 hours of sleep everyday. If our body does not get enough sleep there is no way we can grow. Studies show that people that don't get enough sleep age faster, think slower etc. Its interesting to research case studies that have been done on sleep as they truly show that humans would literally die if deprived of sleep for a long period of time. Sleep is very important for building muscle as this is the time when your muscles repair and rejuvenate.
- A Healthy Diet With Lots of Protein - Protein is a must as your muscle needs it to repair and grow. If you do not get enough protein you probably wont notice any muscle gain. Generally, bodybuilders consume around 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. On some days I had trouble with this in the past, but I was always close to 1 gram per pound of bodyweight. Make sure your keep your diet balanced and healthy though, eat good proteins that are lean like steak, fish, and chicken. Give your body a variety of protein sources, beans are among the healthiest of proteins so make sure that you include beans in your diet daily. Eating excess meat will only pack on more fat and its not the healthiest choice for protein, but it is essential in considerable amounts. Also, its important to eat balanced, don't forget to include vegetables in your diet. Broccoli, greens, tomatoes, onions, garlic and other foods are high in fiber and are really important because they are high in antioxidants.
- A Balanced Workout Routine - Its important to have a workout routine that keeps your muscles guessing. If you do the same workout everyday, your muscles will not be surprised and will not develop as much. Workout your muscles in different ways so that they adapt to change and develop. Often times, bodybuilders will find that they plateau after some time they will find it hard to continue building muscle. This is known as a plateau and the only way to break a plateau is to change your workout routine so that you can work your muscles in different ways.
Recommended Supplements For Building Muscle
There are lots of supplements that claim that they help you build muscle. I have tried many of them when it comes to pre-workout drinks, protein powder, protein shakes, and protein bars. Because I have tried many of the supplements out there, I know which ones worked best for me and which ones seemed most pure. I usually buy supplements like this online, and you can refer to the link below if you need more information on supplements. The link below takes you to my favorite bodybuilding website that has hundreds of reviews on supplements, and they also have some of the best prices you'll find in the world of bodybuilding supplements.
My Favorite N.O. Supplements
- Nitrix - Comes in pill form and is a good pre-workout supplement for getting a decent pump before going to the gym.
- N.O. XPlod - N.O. XPlod is a mixed drink pre-workout powder that seems to work a little faster than Nitrix. This is probably due to the fact that you drink it, so the nutrients are easily absorbed. The flavors are great and this pre-workout drink tastes great. The pump is strong, I liked this supplement.
- NaNO Vapor - I consider NaNO Vapor to be the best N.O supplement that I've ever tried. All of the flavors are awesome and great tasting. Like N.O. XPlod, it is also a powder that you mix with water. But NaNO Vapor feels like it act almost instantaneously when you drink it. It gives you a great pump, increases energy, endurance and strength substantially during your workout but it doesn't make you feel jittery. NaNO vapor is my favorite nitric oxide supplement, its made by MuscleTech.
My Favorite Protein Powders
There are also a lot of protein powders on the fitness market today, especially when it comes to bodybuilding supplements. But I've been pretty loyal to a few protein powders that taste great, provide quality protein, and they get job done whether your trying to increase lean muscle mass or bulk up.
- 100% Whey Protein by Optimum Nutrition - A great low calorie protein powder with over 20 grams of protein per serving. This protein powder has always worked great for me, it is very satisfying after or before a workout and it tastes great.
- N-Large2 - A Great Weight Gainer Protein Powder - N-Large2 is a protein shake that has about 52 grams of protein per serving, and around 600 to 800 calories. It is considered a weight gainer protein powder that helps bodybuilders gain more weight, its very ideal for bulking and it tastes great.
Gladyss on November 05, 2015:
Great article !
Stuart (author) from Santa Barbara, CA on April 29, 2015:
If your doing things right your muscle will always be growing. There is now real time table to use because everyone is different. But if your eating right and working out right you should notice results within a week, although after about 2 or 3 months of working out and maintaining a good workout regimen you will notice that you are much stronger and hopefully ripped too.
Tshegofatso on May 10, 2014:
Thank you for all the helpful bodybuilding tips,all i need to knw is that how long will it take for the muscle become bigger?
Ted on September 23, 2010:
Thank you for all the helpful bodybuilding tips. I've also heard that sleep plays a very big role when it comes to how much muscle you gain.