Please note: this is NOT a lens about being a hippie (that's a separate lens). This is a lens about becoming a hippie. Got it?
1. Turn on: Just avoid drugs, drugs are for squares, hippies gave drugs up for the most part around the same time that the worldwide square addiction to drugs began. Pushers and drug lords couldn't make money off hippies because hippies grew their own. So the drug lords and pushers turned to hooking squares who were too square to know how dangerous drugs were and are.
2. Tune in.
3. Drop out: Actually you should stay in school. You can get an education and still become a hippie. The education actually helps you become more hip. The word "hip" means aware. Therefore, a hippie is one who is aware.
When I was young, I did exactly what you are doing now: I read up on hippies, studied books about hippies, read magazine articles about hippies, any TV program about hippies I watched, and even read Britannica Yearbook sections on hippies. In other words, I looked before I leaped. I decided to become a hippie and decided that whatever expectations that squares had (drug use, not taking baths, radical activity, STD's, and the rest of the long list of myths) was their problem not mine. I have never used drugs and nowadays that is true of the majority of hippies. I never stopped taking baths but I am wary of triclosan for the same reason that I am wary of overuse of antibiotics -- you can set yourself up for super-infection. I'm a Christian myself (or try to be) and am aware of the conflict between free love and traditional views of sex. I'm not talking about safe sex which is simple common sense. I'm talking about this wait till marriage stuff. Even the most extreme preaching on the subject (Bill Gothard) is largely based on his own reaction to the free-love rebellion spirit of the 1960s-1970s, rather than being based on the Bible itself. Many Protestant denominations don't bat an eye about women not being virgins when they get married for the first time. The double standard that does not insist on male virginity is true of many religions not just Christianity. The Catholic churches of late don't freak out about loss of virginity before marriage. I don't know about Eastern Orthodox. As far as I know, of all religions common in the USA, only Ultra-Orthodox Judaism places any value on male virginity. And that is my personal reaction to any conflict between my own religious beliefs and the free love idea that is (or was) a hallmark of hippie philosophy. If your own religious beliefs differ from mine and you are becoming a hippie, I strongly encourage safety. You really do not hear of rampant AIDS or other sexually transmitted diseases among hippies so many others must have independently come to conclusions similar to mine.
With the above long and rambling preamble out of the way, here is hippie philosophy boiled down:
1. Do your own thing as long as you don't hurt anyone else.
2. The core "hippie" philosophy is staunchly aloof to politics and politicians. This puts hippies who are quietists at the opposite pole from radicals who are activists. [See module on hippies and radicals]. Hippies are apolitical or non-political.
3. The foundation of the hippie movement finds historical precedent as far back as the counterculture of the Ancient Greeks, espoused by philosophers like Diogenes of Sinope and the Cynics also as early forms of hippie culture. Hippie philosophy also credits the religious and spiritual teachings of Gandhi, Hillel the Elder, Buddha, Mazdak, St. Francis of Assisi, Henry David Thoreau, and Jesus Christ. [Thanks Wikipedia]
4. utopianism -- this leaves us vulnerable to religious cults
5. libertarianism with a lower-case l -- Uppercase L is political and we aren't political and the other problem with Libertarianism with a capital L is that is leaves us vulnerable to authoritarian violent bullies. As long as we are on the subject of L, "live and let live" is basic hippie philosophy.
6. don't trust the Establishment -- beyond that, hippies part company with radicals
7. free love but with safe sex -- beyond the Sixties' free love idea, modern hippies now observe safe sex and most prefer fidelity to one person or at least one stable group. The whole idea of free love is contained in the saying: "make love, not war".
Note on the references to "vulnerable": It is true that LSD was created by the CIA for purposes of mind control and they experimented upon middle class white American kids. Now is it possible to be more evil than to experiment upon children and to develop mind control? Probably not. Slavery and genocide are at the bottom of the barrel as far as evil goes but this mind control stuff might as well be included in the list of worst sins. Do not take my word for it. Do your own research. The government itself created the hippie movement because after Timothy Leary's followers lost interest in both the government and in Timothy Leary, they went off to start the hippie movement.
hippies and radicals
I have no use for radicalism but that said, radicals have done more good in the USA than reactionaries such as KKK, the Bund & Silver Shirts back during the Jim Crow era. Lots of progress in civil rights, labor rights, and women’s rights are the direct result of radicals in the USA. Neo-Nazis, white separatists, Identity, neo-Confederates and other reactionaries have contributed NOTHING to America -- unless you think that the Oklahoma City bombing of the Murrah building was a good thing (as many Tea Party reactionaries think). Let's repeat this for emphasis: radicals despite excesses have tried (and often succeeded) in improving America. Reactionaries hate America and try to destroy it. Left up to reactionaries there would still be slavery, children working in sweat shops, and women being beaten for trying to vote. Those traditional values that they are always talking about? Nonexistent. They hate blacks, Native Americans, other minorities, women, children, old people (they're trying to gut Social Security), poor people, middle class people, rich people, Jewish people, Sikhs (whom they confuse with Muslims), legal immigrants (I got a problem with illegals but none with legals), Democrats, most Republicans, and pretty much everybody else. If you read some of the literature that they circulate amongst themselves, then you find out what they really think of Jesus and Christians. These ultra-conservatives view Christians as suckers who will knee-jerk vote for anything as long as it is couched as conservative or anti-liberal.
Hippie Clothes and Fashions
Unlike squares, we don't like being told what to wear. Granted there are situations where you should adhere to a dress code. I know lots of hippies who on occasion will stuff their hair under a hat and put on a three piece suit. In fact Malcolm Forbes (yes, that Malcolm Forbes) didn't care how long his sons' hair was as long as they wore suits.
Now you could argue that hippies won the style war because Casual Friday has become casual all week. A lot of Silicon Valley companies don't care if you wear jeans and a T-shirt to work as long as you are a good employee. But you are looking for quintessential "hippies clothes" and that's why you are reading this. Fair enough. The answer is three-fold: Hippies wear extremely colorful clothes (hence the term "flower children" for hippies of this stripe). Other hippies wear drab jeans and T-shirts just like squares. Not even tie-dyed (that's flower children). And the third major clothes option for hippies is clothing optional.. Surely by now you know that a lot of hippies would go through life from birth to death without ever wearing clothes. Only a few nudists and naturists living in remote places and private clubs have come close to actually accomplishing this never-wear-clothes Jain commitment.
Some of you are screaming; Cheat! We want fashion tips. I will mention that granny dresses were popular at the same time as micro-miniskirts for women. Men wore Nehru jackets or Peter Max suits when they wanted a break from the old jeans. And speaking of jeans, bellbottoms could get flared as large as monster bells to accommodate guys who wanted to wear their Shenandoah boots inside their jeans rather than stuffing their jeans down their boots. To paraphrase Ozzie, you can call our guys fairies if you want but fairies wear boots. Beatniks wear sandals. "We can stomp back if you mess with our children and women." said one dude.
Peace beads if you're not into stomping on rednecks who hassle you. Flowers in your hair and face paint if you're a flower child. Headbands. Wait a minute, i was going to go into all this next update.
Hippie Shop on My 9 News
some hippies with money go for haute couture
haute hippie - or, Saks Fifth Avenue is trying to trademark us
- Haute Hippie Women's Apparel Saks.com
Haute Hippie, Women's Apparel at Saks.com, offering the modern energy, style and personalized service of Saks Fifth Avenue stores, in an enhanced, easy-to-navigate shopping experience.
- Rich Hippie - Upscale Women's Clothing & Fashion Boutique
Rich Hippie is a women's boutique with emphasis on up and coming designers. We carry a carefully edited selection of clothing, handbags and jewelry.
maybe you like this look
or maybe you prefer to dress down
Nehru jacket - for the well-dressed hippie dude
the colorful style preferred by flower children
clothing optional choice of many hippies
drab wear preferred by many hippies (by the way, hippies leave politics to radicals)
someone we won't identify
Remembering San Francisco's "Summer of Love"
Hippie music and pictures
This guy approves of drugs (BAD!) but knocks cigarettes (GOOD!).
Dirty F@#*ing Hippies Were Right!
Hippies were for peace but it was radicals who tried to get our boys home in one piece by letting their heads get bashed by cops protesting the war. Nit-picking aside, this vid is right on.
In case the Establishment types have forgotten, protest is legal and protected by the Constitution though seldom in fact.
Despite the same picture as the previous vid, this one rocks!
Hippies and DMT
I like the comment by the yoga instructor that meditation is free while drugs cost money. He could have added that drugs cost you your health and many drugs cost you your wits. Some people have memory loss, bad trips, freak-outs, overdoses and flashbacks. Some people die from drugs.
1967 Hippie temptation TV documentary
Features the Grateful Dead.
I've never figured out why the dead are grateful. I wouldn't think they would feel anything.
Summer of Love: 1967
love not war
they used to be Republicans until they stopped sinning
It's Patchouli Monday
(part of hippie appreciation week)
Actually this image is from the Burning Man festival attended by the billionaires from Google among other Silicon Valley types.
Hippie Appreciation Week
- It's Patchouli Monday (part of hippie... - Shut up, Hippie! - tribe.net
browse tribes people events blogs reviews ??- local favorites ??- miscellaneous ??- services listings ??- jobs ??- housing ??- for sale post blog post personal message photo event review listing create a tribe si
Okay, so the American Association for the Advancement of Science doesn't really check on whether their members are squares or hippies. We just wanted to point out that hippies can pursue any line of work that they want.
Hopefully, they don't wig out like this guy from Lost.
Actually you might go to TwitPic to see pictures of hippie scientists.
another hippie institution
The most famous is Esalen Institute at Big Sur. There are many other besides Esalen and Esalen does a lot more than massage so don't make blanket judgments from one picture.
one hippie philosopher
Needless to say, we reject the LSD, the cyberpunk, the cloning and uploading as a way of achieving immortality. (it didn't work for him and his ashes were sent into orbit and burnt up again on re-entry)
We're not against immortality (far from it, great idea). We're just against uploading as a way of achieving it. Why become a machine when you should rage against the machine?
Okay, so why even have Dr. Leary here then? Duh, cause he was a major part of hippie history whether we like it or not. Just like drugs were part of our history that we reject now as a dead end. Let the squares have the drugs.
Strange but true fact: No doves landed on any guitars during Woodstock but people seemed to have fun anyway.
birthplace of the online community movement
Before you ever heard of the internet, these people were busy using it.
Surviving the Middle Class Crash
Editor's note -- I decided not to remove this little section because it is relevant to the hippie food section below. Spread the word among people you love: hippie and square alike. No one needs to eat this poison.
- Surviving the Middle Class Crash
The Multiple Ways Monsanto is Putting Normal Seeds Out of Reach
- Skin Disease Linked to GMOs
Forget the crap that comes up when you Google the phrase above. Most of it is sugared-up poison. Granola was never meant to give you diabetes nor was yogurt but that is what the squares have done to those, to name two foods we hippies pioneered.
If you get excess sugar, salt and fat out of your diet, you have come halfway to a hippie diet.
some hippie food links
health food, macrobiotic cooking, natural food (not artificial ingredients), organically grown, the slow food movement (Do you know what's really in fast food?), local food, clean food and more all were ideas that we pioneered and the squares still haven't caught on . . . unless if you count supermarket chains like Whole Foods and Earth Fare
- Michael Pollan's Food Rules
Food guru Michael Pollan on his new handbook for wise eating.
- Hippie Food, Then and Now | Willy Street Co-op
Willy Street Co-op, (608) 251-6776, Madison, Wisconsin, food cooperative, vegan, vegetarian, health, nutrition, organic, produce, alternative medicine, meats, coffee, bulk foods, deli, prepared foods, salads, lunch, soup, sandwiches, gluten-free, sug
- Hippie Food, Hippie Appetizer Recipes
Eco-Friendly Retail Directory
- Hippie Restaurants in San Francisco
Hippie Restaurants in San Francisco. If you are on your way to northern California for a weekend of hiking, camping or just fun outdoor activities, San Francisco is a great place to stop. Not only does the city have memorable landmarks, but it also h
Why? Because putting poison on your food will poison you.
Yes, we know that every insect loves tomatoes. Pick the insects off. Use a cordless dust buster or little hand vacuum to suck them off. Breed praying mantises and let them do the work. Surround your tomatoes with carefully chosen companion plants that naturally repel insects and other pests.
Grow your tomatoes in a greenhouse and keep out bugs completely.
Real food is perishable. Food bad for you is embalmed and stuffed full of chemicals like a taxidermist with a stiff. Want to be dead? Then eat food that doesn't rot.
hippie food processing - (natural foods)
Natural foods are those with no processing (raw foods) and no manufactured ingredients such as hormones, antibiotics, sweeteners, food colors, or flavorings that were not originally in the food.
The reason that there is no standard for natural foods in the USA, no legal definition in the USA for natural foods, no certification, and no seal to indicate that an item has passed inspection as natural food is because there is no natural foods trade group to lobby for these things. By contrast, organic farming is recognized by the USDA and the FDA (because there is an organic farming lobby that pushed for it) and a non-organic farmer cannot pass his crap (I mean food) off as organic without being in violation of the law.
Hint: Get busy natural foods gardeners and natural foods non-processors! Form a trade council. Lobby the USDA and FDA.
Because of the lack of standards in the USA, any one can claim "natural" and be serving you artificial ingredients.
In other words, I am NOT endorsing Jyoti.
Critical thinking is important: - Why would you use colorants in natural foods?
hippie food handling - (clean food)
Don't bother to look for "clean food" or ":clean foods" in Wikipedia. It does not exist (though the page I landed on asked me to create the topic). This is despite the fact that there an entire clean foods movement.
1. You want clean? You want clean enough for an obsessive-compulsive like Monk? Then eat glatt kosher food inspected by an ultra-orthodox Hasidic rabbi known for giving other kosher cops a hard time for not being clean enough. Yes, there actuallty exist "kosher cops" who are so-called because they inspect kosher food. Glatt kosher goes a step further and is super-clean. Or so we have a right to expect. Gentiles in general have pretty lax standards when it comes to food -- gentiles lack standards. If you can't obtain kosher food where you are, then in a pinch Muslim halal food will do.
2. The pots and pans in which food is cooked ought to be clean. Also, the trays which hold food before it is cooked should not be the same trays that hold food after it is cooked. Barbecue "chefs" often violate this rule of microbiology by plopping cooked meat back onto the tray where the raw meat was. The result is as predictable as leaving egg salad in a hot car: stomach pumps from food poisoning.
3. Hygiene. Watch public restrooms at restaurants (or anywhere). People go in and touch themselves without washing their hands first and then wonder why their privates get rashes and diseases. People come out of stalls and walk straight out without washing their hands a second time. In the case of people this nasty, they probably never washed their hands the first time. I don't care what your parents or teachers taught you: You need to wash your hands going in and coming out. Yes, I know you were about to burst. But look in a microscope powerful enough to bring the germs on your hands into sharp focus and then re-read the previous sentences. America is a nasty third world country because there are even executives who think that they are too good to wash their hands either before or after. Or they never learned hygiene in school because America is a third world country that cuts the budget on this essential class in school. Don't shake hands with people but tell them why. If they don't understand, then say: "look through a microscope at your hands and then you'll understand." And when will sinks with foot pedals be more widely available? You wash your hands and then have to touch those nasty handles to turn off the water. Foot pedals are the solution. Surgeons in hospitals use foot pedals. Or sensors that turn the water on and off.
Before AND after.
And squares say hippies are dirty.
4. This is the part where I freak out Jewish and Muslim people. There are unclean animals -- if you raise your livestock in unsanitary conditions and don't have a parasitologist on payroll. Pigs are most commonly picked on. They live in a pigsty (like some humans). Why do pigs live in filth? Because the swineherds put them in a sty. I have seen swine operations where the porkers were raised in conditions better than most preschools for children. Several washes daily, the best feed, veterinarians, the works. Some people think chickens are unclean. "If you spit, the chickens will peck at it." Let us analyze that. Why would a person do that to an animal in his or her care? Chickens are like any domesticated animal. They are aware that a human looks after them. They trust you (up till the point you slit their throat) and with sheep they still trust you. [No doubt why Jesus chose sheep as a metaphor for good followers. Sorry, Jesus but you had that one coming.] The point is that livestock are like children. They are totally at your mercy. So you are a bastard if you abuse them. A good farmer will give his or her animals the best feed that they can afford. Not crowd them so that diseases hop from animal to animal. A good argument for free range chicken and a good argument against feed lots for cattle. Quite a few farmers (even non-organic farmers) will see that their cows get a wash/bath frequently. Other farmers and ranchers could learn from them. Might cut down on expensive diseases like hoof & mouth. Clean animals? Let start with farmers with clean minds. Don't spit where chickens are eating. Don't infect or poison what you will be eating.
Chickens are used to having dry corn and other feed thrown on the ground for them to peck at. They don't have hands. My grandmother threw scratch feed for her chickens because chickens exercise and stretch their legs by scratching. It is a competition among them to see who gets to a grain of corn first. Probably the only fun they have all day long. So conditioned, they will run toward anything (even spit) because they trust you. Next time you are tempted to spit, God may cause a rooster to jump up and scratch your eyes out and that would be poetic justice.
On an unrelated subject . . .
I wonder if you can teach them to scratch away weeds but leave the vegetables? A pig would root up those carrots. A breed of chicken like that would be worth a few million. And I wonder if you could teach them to pick (and eat) bugs off tomatoes without damaging the tomatoes? Hmmm . . . more potential millions for a breed of chicken like that. Not as bird-brained as you think, chickens can be taught quite a bit with the right animal trainer and the right breeds of chicken to start with.