Over three decades ago I become interested in the Bible, having drank from the heavenly cup once, I have not been tired to drink more
In the previous article, I said for in depth understanding of what I want to share here, there is need to explain what preceded the migration of Naomi and her family to another land. this I have started and will continue with in this article.
Some of Those Minute Lights Seen by The Ancients Continues – Ruth a Case Study
The bible is full of many intriguing and interesting stories, which essentially are compiled for all believers to learn from. Let us see some of the things that ran through the mind of Ruth when their mother in-law was presenting the gloomy position of things to them, this essentially aids her decision.
Broken Vessels (Amazing Grace) [Official Lyric Video] - Hillsong Worship
(b) Seeing Things Differently - Ruth:
It is a proverb in Yoruba land that someone who has been taught evil and the person carries out the evil such a one has evil in his or her heart before that she wants to execute, she was just using the instruction of someone as an excuse to carry out the evil he wants to do.
- Removes Selfishness: All that her mother in-law has presented was very correct she did not doubt that, but she removes selfishness from her heart, she sees things from a different perspective, she sees thing deeper than the presentation of her mother in-law, Naomi and because she has seen things differently she dares to follow her mother in -law which has been her agelong desire.
It is until anyone removes selfishness that the person can leave sin for righteousness, it is when we forsake selfishness that we can embrace the gospel, it is when we forsake selfishness that we shall be able to see things from the perspective of Christ Jesus. Those who are yet to be saved are yet following the needs and desires of the flesh which God strongly says we should flee so that we become his’ and his’ alone.
- Psychological Support: She sees things from the psychological point of view from what her mother in-law has presented to them that she does not know what lies ahead for her. She feels if the person who has stayed with them for long couldn’t know what she will experience at home, she desires a better support there than at the moment.
- Her Real Desire Was Revealed: Her real desire to stay by her mother in-law was revealed when the woman laid before them what lies ahead to them that the future is bleak, the future no one knows, she does not know what lies ahead.
Orpah may have been doubting her position, she may have been thinking that she was staying back because of what she has been told by people around, but now when her mother in-law presented the lacuna that she needs to go back then her real desire and position was revealed that she has decided to stay glued to her mother in-law come what may.
- She Exhibits Patience: Rare longsuffering or patience was exhibited by her. This was what Orpah could not exhibit again. A friend says, “patience has not limitation, it has no end”, and a Yoruba adage says, with patience one can cook (or soften) stone or any hardest substance in the world.
- Share her Shame: She decides to share in the shame of her mother in-law. We are also called to share in the reproach wherewithal Christ has been reproached with.
- She Sees Herself Under Curse Like Her Mother In-Law: If her mother in-law has seen herself under some forms of curses because of what has happened to her and her dead husband, she also puts herself in that shoe that she also is under a curse.
Having seen what perhaps ran through the mind of Ruth while her mother in-law was discussing with them to take a stand of what they want to do and turn back for she has indeed appreciate their staying with her. In the next article we shall see what their decision was.
© 2021 OLUSEGUN