I have been studying and teaching Bible doctrine for over 48 years and the shepherding teacher for home based Churches. Sola Scriptura
Everyone is Guilty Before God.
The Wicked Absolutely Know They are Wicked!
How can this be? Here are three scriptures to explain why this phenomenon exists:
- Ecclesiastes 3:11 - “ … also He hath set the world [Heb. elam - eternity] in their heart …’. The balance of verse gives us the reason God has done this; that all men may know there is more to their being than just this life in which they now live. It is designed to be a mystery that can only be answered by the presence of the Holy Spirit. The proof: the abject fear of death in which the world without Christ now abides. So many worldly books have been written on the ‘meaning of life’ or ‘life after death’, as if they have an answer other than one that is biblically sound.
- Per Romans chapter 1, many church goers will acknowledge that creation itself is enough to condemn every person on earth for it testifies to the Godhead. Chapters 3 and following, the written Word itself condemns the world. But it is the Law of Conscience found in Romans 2:15, written in their hearts that will either accuse or excuse one of guilt before God. It is not just the laws of land against murder, thievery and the like that keep the majority of people from committing grievous sins but one’s conscience. If mankind had been born without a conscience, life itself would cease to exist but create a world of pure chaos, survival of the strongest and without hope; the antithesis of Genesis 1:31.
- The Indictment - Romans 1:32 “Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have PLEASURE in them that do them.” As a babe in Christ while in the Marines I noticed the first time I tried to share my new faith with another Marine, he quickly got others to come alongside him in order to bolster his argument against the Gospel. Misery loves company and my testimony was making him uncomfortable and miserable.
The question now becomes; how did this come to pass? Simple answer: the sovereignty of God. Do you realize how many will reject this answer; not because it is not scriptural but flies in the face of what a majority of Christendom wants to believe.
- Ten times in the Book of Exodus, the Word states clearly that God hardened Pharaoh's heart. In 4:21 it was to ensure that he would not let the Jews go. In verses 14:4, 8 & 17 he hardened Pharaoh into pursuing the exodus of the Jews even into the midst of the divided sea to his predetermined destruction by God.
- Also, in Deuteronomy 2:30 as the Jews were on their way to the promised land, God hardened the hearts of kings to attack the Jews to their own destruction. In Joshua 11:20, God hardened the hearts of the northern kingdoms of Canaan and they were also destroyed.
- As God is merciful to whom He wills to show mercy [Exodus 33:19; Romans 9:15], God also hardens whom He chooses [Romans 9:18]. God gives not one whit what anyone may think or teach [Daniel 4:35] but ‘ … worketh all things after the counsel of His own will [Ephesians 1:11].
Churches Suffers the Same Malady as the World.
Hearts are Being Hardened by the Messages of Many Churches Today
Many churches may appear to be working hard for the Lord but there is an unseen current running beneath the surface that is eroding their facade. When it reaches a certain point it will collapse into a ‘sinkhole’ and many will become hardened to the true Gospel. Points to ponder:
- God is love but ignores the fact that He is also a consuming fire. [Hebrews 12:29]
- The prosperity gospel; those who equate amassing material goods as being blessed of God, much akin to being their sugar daddy.
- Flu shot Christians who have accepted the membership requirements of a specific denomination, church or cult as their ticket to pass jail [hell] on their way to heaven. They have replaced living for Christ with being religious according to another’s standard. Ritual over substance and the traditions of man rather than the Word of God.
- As a result, in the future, many will hear the words from our Lord - I never knew you. [Matthew 7:21]
- Churches that do not seek the will of God through His Word, do the will of the enemy; again, all according to the will of God.
- A common factor in many of these churches is to either skirt some sin issues or attempt to differentiate between big sins and not so big sins. A true lose / lose situation.
Caveat: Nothing in this world outside of the predetermined will of God occurs ‘ … that the purpose of God according to election might stand …’ [Romans 9:11]. Esau and Jacob had the same godly father but for God’s divine purpose for salvation, He chose [elected] Jacob. Many hear the call of God but few are chosen. [Matthew 20:16]
A True Pandemic That Neither the World nor Churches Care to Address
Sin Must Be Addressed, Both Within Churches and in the World.
God has given us the Gospel, once delivered and we are to be faithful according to God’s Word found in Hebrews 12:14 “Follow peace with ALL men AND holiness without which NO man shall see the Lord:’ I am not against street preaching when it includes not only a sound Gospel being presented but also the desire for personal interaction with those they seek to reach; according to the Hebrews’ passage. Following peace infers the desire for a personal relationship, for not only should we seek to know them better in order to minister to them; they need to know more about who we claim to be. The early Church grew by building relationships and developing trust in one’s testimony displayed outwardly by holiness. It has not changed one iota in nearly 2,000 years. It NEVER was come to my church, for God did not call His saints to pass their work of the Gospel over to another. The wannabe Christians and the wicked need to see Christ in us.
Screaming in people’s faces and decrying their wickedness destroys all opportunities for any relationship and an increased hatred of the Church. These people know they are guilty before God and some may actually be carrying burdens that are almost too much to bear; they need a message of Hope, not condemnation. The Word has a great deal to say concerning our relationship with those around us; i.e.
- Colossians 4:5 - we are to walk in wisdom with speech seasoned with grace towards those who know not Christ. The antithesis of self-righteousness towards the lost.
- We are commanded to study, mind your own business and to walk honestly towards those without according to 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12; we then shall lack nothing.
- We must be acceptable to those without Christ. 1 Timothy 3:7
Note: every person I have personally witnessed come to Christ through my testimony was built upon an established relationship. God used this redeemed sinner to reach family, friends, co-workers, unsaved church goers; many of those people came with some heavy-duty burdens.