Why I came to Sahaja Yoga
Ever since I was a child I had this inner knowledge, that I could not really word, of some divine presence inside of me and all around me. When I was about 11 years old I had a spiritual crisis. I started to pray on a regular basis and I wished to leave my usual life and continue my life in a monastery to be closer to God. Luckily or unluckily for me, this plan of mine never came true. Closer to the age of thirty, I felt that I do need to find a spiritual teaching that is closest to my personal religion and my world-view. Sahaja Yoga is all about purity and since I started practising it, I have noticed some positive changes in my worldview. Like, I have become more patient and thanks to meditation started to have a different perspective of things. Mantras also help me a lot. They sort of give me a different vision and good vibrations that bring harmony in my life. And I can feel that myself how I bring harmony in the environment that surrounds me. You know, this atmosphere of peace and harmony and balance. So now I know that I do not really need to go to the monastery to have this closeness to God. All I need is to meditate on a regular basis, and try to improve my life and the lives of other people by bringing just this holy presence everywhere.
Is spiritual life important for you?
In Sahaja Yoga there is a simple ritual that helps awaken the Kundalini energy. This energy was discovered thousands of years ago in India but it was only known to a limited number of enlightened people. Nowadays, people can awaken this energy on a mass scale. The thing is that the times we live through are very exceptional times. And many people can receive a great amount of knowledge that can help them make their lives better. It's up to you to decide whether to make use of this knowledge or not. But if you use it, you grow spiritually and you transform yourself into a better and fuller being.
Kundalini energy is our motherly energy that is hidden at the base of the spine just like a serpent in three and a half coils. When we are born to this world, this energy penetrates our body through the fontanel bone and then stays in the sacrum bone. It is like a tape that records all that we do, all that we think and everything about us. It knows everything about us. Awakening of the Kundalini in the past used to be a very difficult process that demanded real spiritual effort on behalf of a man like long periods of asceticism, meditations, fast, self isolation, etc.
Nowadays thanks to Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi, a person of great spiritual strength and royal blood, this Kundalini energy has become possible to awaken easily, with just a few gestures and words.
A guide to awaken your Kundalini energy
Here are a few steps to follow to actually awaken your Kundalini.
- first thing you need to do is to sit and relax either on a chair or on the floor. If you sit on a chair, uncross your legs. Well, if you sit on the floor, you sit cross-legged.
- then you need to put your left hand on your left knee while putting your right hand on your left abdomen. We refer to our Kundalini energy as our inner mother. So we can call her mother. So we say: « Please, mother, give me the understanding of myself ».
- now you move your hand over the left abdomen and put it on the left side of the body just under the ribs and you say: « Please, mother, let me be my own master ».
- now put your hand on your heart and say: « Please, mother, show me who I really am ». And we really need to ask this because very often our social interactions get in the way of our real perception of who we are.
- Now put your hand on the left side of your neck and you can say: « Mother, I am not guilty ». Guilt is a very negative feeling, that can affect us in a very bad way, so we really need to ask our inner mother to get us rid of the guilt.
- Now you can put your hand on your forehead and say: « I forgive everyone and I forgive myself ». Forgiving is a very important part of our interactions with ourselves and other people that liberates us from so many relationship problems, so we need to forgive and be forgiven.
- Now we can put our hand on our head and in this moment we connect we ask this energy to connect us with our true self. “Mother, let me be your presence”. And you can actually feel the energy. Rise your hand above your head and try to feel this energy. You can also try it with your other hand. It could be cool. It could be warm, it could be a tingling sensation on your fingers. Now bring your hands back to your laps and try to feel something on your hands. It could be cool, it could be warm, doesn't matter. Just try to feel some. Make sure you always keep your attention over your head. So, this is it! And if you want to keep in contact with this energy of ours that you just felt keep on meditating.
I wish you all the best on your spiritual path.
- CoolCheck :: Learn and Enjoy Free Meditation and Relaxation Techniques
Learn more about other experiences in meditation and how it helps many people to study, teach and get through this life!
- Benefits of Meditation: Awakening Awareness
Many people think that meditation is a state of thoughtfulness. This is not so. Meditation is the state opposite to thoughtfulness. Not everyone can control their thoughts. Not everyone can manage their thoughts.
Anna Sidorova (author) from Russia on June 09, 2011:
Thank you, too, for reading me!
Tom rubenoff from United States on June 08, 2011:
Fascinating. Thank you for giving us such a concise guide to Sahaja Yoga.