Andrea has worked with HubPages for 8+ years. She mostly writes about dating, couples, weddings, travel, interior design, and gardening.
Compatability for Cancer + Scorpio
Throw everything you know about dating out the window. A Cancer and Scorpio relationship is automatically wild, passionate, and serious. Both of these signs are water elements; they have similar strengths and weaknesses as individuals but different shades of it.
Cancer and Scorpio are far different from their water cousin Pisces, who can walk on the lighter side of things and has a boost in wisdom.
Cancer is the 4th sign of the zodiac and Scorpio is the 8th. Cancer is the beginning of summer and Scorpio is the middle of fall. These two are passionate about art, love, creativity, relationships, family, faith, the bedroom, and whatever emotion falls into their hearts.
Cancer in a Nutshell
Cancer women and men are highly sacrificial. They often get caught up in thinking about the many different cycles of life.
- Cancers make for great parents and familial figures. They're very nurturing.
- Cancers are amazing flirts and charmers. They have an abundance of charisma. Their flirtatious style is a good match with Scorpio.
- They are focused on survival and maintaining relationships. They change their minds on things rapidly to fit in and blend into different situations.
- Warning: Cancer can be loyal to the point of not developing an identity or individuality outside of the relationship, which is dangerous.
- Cancers should define themselves outside of their relationships with their partner or kids. They need to know themselves creatively.
- This is one of the signs that actively seeks being in a relationship.
Scorpio in a Nutshell
Scorpio is driven, complex, passionate, loyal, and yes, slightly insane. He is often one of the most misunderstood signs. He is sometimes compared to the devil or vampires.
- Scorpios make for very serious and intense partners. They give themselves 100% to their partners.
- Scorpios demand loyalty from those they date. They're a very jealous kind.
- They're known for their passionate ways that can be intriguing to others.
- Scorpios are cunning, curious, and rebellious. They're driven to succeed in both career and romance.
- They can be dirty minded. They're influenced by the root chakra and the planet Mars, which is known for competition, aggression, and seriousness.
Most Signs Have 1 Symbol; Scorpio Has 3
Scorpio deals with life in three stages: the snake, the scorpion, and the phoenix.
An immature Scorpio slides on the ground as the snake looking for its prey, eating whatever is left on the ground, surviving off crumbs and bugs, and biting at the heels of many. Snakes are vicious predators, and so are Scorpios.
Scorpio then evolves into the scorpion. It has developed legs and is ready to strike at the heel with a stinger. It might love and harm its lover. It might emotionally harm its lover as a test to see if it is loyal: this is toxic behavior.
At long last, the Scorpio evolves into the phoenix. It's a highly sacrificial being capable of surrendering to love. Scorpio is careful about who it chooses as a life long partner because to a Scorpio this means it is choosing the person it would die to protect, this is partly why the Scorpio exhibits such strange behavior: it puts way too high of expectations on itself.
Fundamentals of a Cancer + Scorpio Relationship
Listen to Your Intuition
Cancer needs to listen to their gut in all relationships. This is someone who needs to really have a good idea of what they want and to fight for it. Some people will try to chain up the Cancer and prevent them from ever growing.
If Cancer isn't taking note of who they are, they will fall into Scorpio's clutch and be identical in mind to Scorpio, which actually would be very appealing to Scorpio. The scorpion sign would see the Cancer as one in the same with them. Scorpio is looking for the ultimate, loyal partner. If they said to jump, you would trust them to jump. Scorpio doesn't like it if you are weak to their love. Scorpio can't stand a lukewarm romance.
- Cancer needs to stand up for themselves.
- Scorpio can't control the Cancer and make them a carbon copy of themselves.
- Scorpio wants heat in their relationship. They want to be on the same page.
Both of these signs will do well to be slow to anger and quick to love. Cancer has as many moods as the seasons, the changing of the hours, the changing of the tides, and the phases of the moon. Scorpio can go as deep and dark as the Mariana Trench. His emotions can also soar like the eagle to the tallest mountain. Two moody people can result in either understanding or fights.
This pair needs balance to have a healthy relationship. Don't let impulses drive the relationship; sometimes you need to slow down and think things through, not just go initially with how you feel. This will help you to process strong emotions, like sadness and anger.
With such a rich display of emotions and passion in this pairing, the two will definitely connect in a broad range sense. You both should feel comfortable expressing your emotions, particularly Cancer. Scorpio may take longer to open up; they sometimes struggle to come out of the "loner mode".
Don't Be Manipulative, Scorpio
Scorpio is passionate and has expectations about the bedroom. Cancer needs to make sure they know their boundaries and are not just some malleable pillow to play with.
Scorpios are passionate about life, intense about people, have deeply held beliefs, and can seduce just about anyone they please. They're known as manipulators. They don't always know what to do with people once they catch them. They may say they know how to handle those people, but they're lying. So they'll toss those people back into the ocean where they found them.
Sometimes. . . Scorpio Can't Take a Joke
Scorpio is serious. Sometimes too serious. They are excellent at focusing on money and building mountains of it. They know about deeply profound issues in society and either want to do something about it. . . or literally will never care.
Cancer Is a Natural Nurturer
Cancer wants to help spawn new generations. They care about raising children and being kind to younger people. Cancer is also looking for a romantic partner they can nurture. She likes to take care of someone she loves. She wants to dote on you. For some partners, this could be cloying. But not for Scorpio. His ego will love the flattery from Cancer.
Scorpio will be drawn to Cancer's charms, artistic ways, and bizarre yet non-threatening mind. Scorpio finds Cancer very non-threatening. . . and that is appealing.
What Scares Scorpio
Scorpio gets spooked by Aquarius like qualities. He finds the air sign too mentally clever. He feels on edge, like a battle is about to take place. He doesn't like to be one-upped, especially in the mind.
Cancer isn't like Aquarius. Cancer is melancholy, sweet, and gracious when it comes to Scorpio's mistakes. However, no one blows up like a Cancer. You piss off a Cancer, and you'll never hear the end of it. If you piss off a Scorpio, you might want to put yourself in the witness protection program. Scorpio is prone to revenge. Cancer is more like dynamite. They explode. Then they drown you in the way they feel.
- Scorpio is the most likely sign to make a revenge plan.
- Scorpio is also the most likely sign to come up with a plan to rescue you and sacrifice themselves.
- Cancer will make its pains known. She will make you feel her pain.
Scorpios Don't Always Evolve
Scorpio will deeply honor those that he loves, but he also has to learn how to properly love. Unfortunately, Scorpios are not guaranteed to evolve. Some will stay snakes. Some will get stuck as scorpions. Some will become the mythical phoenix, while others can only hold onto that stage for a brief moment.
I don't advise people to date Scorpios in more immature phases. A Scorpio is best when they have matured. They'll be too intense and dirty minded in high school. They'll be too neglectful in college. They might be too focused on their career as adults.
Just because you are charmed by a Scorpio doesn't mean the Scorpio is actually ready for a relationship. They love to flirt, but when it comes to a commitment they can take their time. That's because they take it seriously: they're looking for someone they can give their soul.
Signs of a Mature Scorpio
- Listens to you carefully and shows it.
- Slow to anger and quick to love. They're forgiving.
- They don't abandon you or leave you in the cold. They fight for the relationship, not for their ego.
- The Scorpio has healthy routines: a sleep schedule, a good dietary plan, healthy friendships, good self-care.
Cancer + Scorpio
June 21 - July 22
October 23 - November 21
Yin or Yang
Moody, Sensitive, Creative, Nurturing, Introspective, Charming
Passionate, Brooding, Curious, Cunning, Serious, Dedicated
Tips for Cancer and Scorpio
1. Do not become addicted to anger. Do not summon a demon lord together. Find peace and equanimity. Do not fall prey to barbaric styles of relationships. Be diplomatic, not warring Vikings.
2. Loyalty goes both ways. Do not expect your partner to be 100% committed and loyal if you can't offer that yourself. Do strive to be loyal. This will be good for you.
3. When you have an argument, try to wait till you are in private. You two can be explosive.
4. Make an effort to talk out and feel your emotions. You two have a strong psychic connection. Honor your ESP.
5. Cancer sometimes needs to do something else besides hanging out on the couch talking. Sometimes Scorpio gets stuck on only getting to know a person and kind of capturing them to be around them without giving a moment of time to other people or priorities. It can be appealing, in a sense, to be around someone with high levels of focus. But going to museums and the like will help bring in new energy. Takeaway: don't just sit on a couch for dates.
6. Have friends that are your own and not just your shared friends. You need separate identities, even if you are both water signs and love to merge everything.
7. Do not put pressure on each other's egos for fun. Water signs can have some toxic behavior: like showing off wounds or creating wounds.
8. Scorpio: take Cancer seriously when they are upset and listen carefully. Take notes.
9. Don't make bigger deals out of things than necessary. Sometimes all you need is a good rest or some food. Be patient with each other.
10. Scorpio may need to push Cancer to seek out a career path. Scorpio may also need to calm down on working. Cancer will make for an excellent parent or in a familial role. Takeaway: Scorpios tend to be job obsessed. Cancers tend to be relationship obsessed.
This content reflects the personal opinions of the author. It is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and should not be substituted for impartial fact or advice in legal, political, or personal matters.
© 2019 Andrea Lawrence
Andrea Lawrence (author) from Chicago on August 04, 2019:
Be careful of the foes. Treat them with love.
Jacqueline Williamson BBA MPA MS from Memphis on July 27, 2019:
Very interesting points, being a Cancer myself with an Aries rising. I have a fierce protective nature that is extremely self-preserving. I also prefer knowledge and logic as weapons against my foes and lovers!