The Native Americans Had Astrology Too?
The answer is Yes. Astrology is not just the western zodiac signs. Many cultures around the world had their own fascinating forms of Astrology. Native Americans are no exception. The specific form of astrology I'm talking about now is North American animal signs.
The astrological system practiced by the North American Indians was established long before the first European settlers arrived in the "New World". This system is based on the natural world and how we fit into it. This system was passed on from generation to generation by the elders of tribes.
Many North American Indian tribes believed that a person was assigned an animal guide at birth. This hub will introduce you to some of the basic characteristics of each of the Native American Animal Signs. What's your animal guide?
The Animal Signs
Jan 20 - Feb 18
- If you're an otter, then you're a little bit quirky. It's hard to figure you out sometimes. You are often perceived as unconventional. You always think outside of the box and your methods are most often effective. You have a vivid imagination and great intelligence which keeps you a step ahead of others often. You are very perceptive and intuitive. You make a great friend and are very attentive to those you care about. You are sensitive, sympathetic, courageous and honest. However, left to your own devices you can be lewd, rebellious and/or isolated. The otter is most compatible with the Raven/Crow, the Falcon and the Deer.
Feb 19 - Mar 20
- If you're a wolf, like me, then you're probably very emotional and extremely passionate. The wolf is considered the lover in North American Indian astrology. You understand that all we need is love and you fully live by that, providing love to those you care about and those who need it most. You tend to be very independent despite your emotional needs. You need your freedom but you're still gentle and compassionate. You are generous and affectionate, but on the flip side, you have the ability to become impractical, obsessive and/or vindictive. The wolf is most compatible with the Woodpecker, the Bear, and the Snake.
Mar 21 - April 19
- If you're a Falcon, then you're possibly a natural born leader. You tend to have clear judgment in complicated situations. You never waste time and always do what must be done. You're persistent and often take the initiative to go the extra mile. The Falcon can be conceited at times, but considering they're often right, a little arrogance is understandable. You have the ability to be very passionate in your relationships, and you're always compassionate. On the other hand, you can be vain, rude, intolerant, impatient and/or over-sensitive. The Falcon if most compatible with the Owl and the Salmon.
April 20 - May 20
- If you're the Beaver, than you tend to take charge, are adept and overcome any obstacle that stands in your way. You're very efficient and hard working. You always get the job done. You are witty, cunning and strategic. You have a tendency to want things done your way and are not very open to suggestions. You are quite stubborn. You are very blunt and will say exactly what you think without hesitation. Still, you are very compassionate, generous, helpful and loyal. However, you can be nervous, fearful, possessive, arrogant, and/or demanding. The Beaver is most compatible with the Woodpecker, the Bear and the Goose.
May 21 - June 20
- If you're the Deer, then you're inspiring, lively and quick-witted. The Deer is seen as the muse in North American Indian astrology. You are humorous and can draw laughter out of anyone. You have great communication skills and are quite the conversationalist. Your mental acuity is razor sharp. You are always aware of your surroundings and even more so of your appearance, thus making you a bit self-involved. You have a sparkly and radiant personality, but you have the ability to be selfish, moody, impatient, lazy and/or two-faced. The Deer is most compatible with the Raven/Crow and the Otter.
June 21 - July 21
- If you're a Woodpecker, then you're the most nurturing of the animal signs. You are a good listener, empathetic, and understanding. You are always there when someone needs a shoulder to lean on. Because of these traits you are or you will make a wonderful parent. You are a great friend and a fantastic partner. You are frugal, resourceful and organized. Great for business. You are caring, devoted and highly romantic, but on the flip side of the coin you can be possessive, easily angered, jealous, and/or spiteful. The Woodpecker is most compatible with the Snake, the Wolf and the Beaver.
For More Astrology, Check Out These Hubs
July 22 - Aug 21
- If you're the Salmon, then you're a real live-wire. You're very focused, intuitive and creative. You're confident and enthusiastic, which makes you a natural motivator. You are generous and intelligent. You have a need for purpose and goals. You are stable, calm and giving, but left to your own devices you have the ability to be egotistical, vulgar and/or intolerant of others.The Salmon is most compatible with the Owl and the Falcon.
Aug 22 - Sept 21
- If you're the Bear, then you're pragmatic and level-headed. You tend to be the voice of reason among your peers and family. You have a big heart and immense generosity, though you are quite modest about it and a bit shy. Your motherly instincts are incredible and you shower your children with love, care and patience. Bears make great teachers and mentors. On the other hand, you can be skeptical, lazy, small-minded and/or reclusive. The Bear is most compatible with the Goose and the Beaver.
The Raven (or The Crow)
Sept 22 - Oct 22
- If you're a Raven/Crow, then you're highly enthusiastic and quite the charmer. Because of your energy and enthusiasm, people often turn to you for ideas and opinions. You are very idealistic and diplomatic. You are quite easy-going, soft spoken and you have the ability to be rather romantic. You are very patient and intuitive in relationships. However, you can be demanding, inconsistent, vindictive and/or abrasive. The Raven/Crow is most compatible with the Otter and the Deer.
Oct 23 - Nov 22
- If you're the Snake, then you're a natural in all matters of spirituality. Most shamans are born under this sign. You are attuned to all things supernatural. You are a great healer, which makes you perfect for a career in the medical professions. You are quite mysterious to others and sometimes frightening. You can be secretive and dark, but you are most sensitive and caring. You are passionate, inspiring, humorous and helpful. Still, you have the capacity to be violent, over-bearing and moody. The Snake is most compatible with the Woodpecker and the Wolf.
Nov 23 - Dec 21
- If you're an Owl, then you're as changing as the wind. You are warm, natural and easy-going, which makes you a great friend. You love life and are wholly adventurous. You can sometimes be reckless, careless and thoughtless because of your adventure seeking ways. You are very wise and are often looked to for advice and mentoring. Owls make great artists and teachers. You are very sensitive, enthusiastic, and an attentive listener, but you can be excessive, arrogant, overindulgent, bitter and/or belligerent. The Owl is most compatible with the Falcon and the Salmon.
Dec 22 - Jan 19
- If you're a Goose, then you're persevering and ambitious. You always achieve your goals. You are determined to succeed at all cost. You are quite driven and competitive. You are very passionate, humorous, gregarious and sensual. On the flip side, you can be obsessive, compulsive and often become addicted to your work. The Goose is most compatible with the Beaver, the Bear and the Raven/Crow.
All Rights Reserved
Skylar Spring © copyright 2011
Skylar Spring (author) from New York on November 07, 2011:
@Crescentmoon... Glad I was able to introduce you to native american astrology :) Thanks for reading! :)
@Daniella... Yeah, most people only recognize the chinese and western astrology, but so many cultures had their own astrology it's unbelievable! Thanks for checking out my hub and voting :)
Daniella Lopez on November 07, 2011:
Great hub! Many people don't realize that the Native Americans have a zodiac as well. Thanks for such a well packed hub, voted up!
Cresentmoon2007 from Caledonia, MI on September 30, 2011:
Something I didn't know and am now very interested in. Thank you for sharing.
Skylar Spring (author) from New York on September 29, 2011:
@Greg... Hehe, I fit a lot of the other signs too. It's all just good fun.
Greg on September 29, 2011:
Hi Skyler, what if I fit all of the animal signs? ;-)