A believer, in recovery, looking to the Bible to know who I am in Christ.
We... do not cease to pray for you and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; that you may walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, pleasing to all, being fruitful in every good work and increasing the knowledge of God, strengthened with all might according to His glorious power... Colossians 1:9-11a
Not a Timid Prayer
If I'm not careful a verse like this rolls over me so fast that I don't notice the details.
It says He's unceasing.
What is Paul asking (that I can learn to ask of my believing friends and family)?
1. The knowledge of His will. That's good. He goes big. He says the knowledge of His will in ALL wisdom and spiritual understanding. This is not a timid prayer. I don't need to be timid in prayer either.
2. Walk in a manner worthy of the Lord. I get to, I must, pray for those believers I care so much about like this too. Why wouldn't I? If I can pray powerful prayers like this, we all win. The world wins.
3. Pleasing to all. This being pleasing does not mean that we don't tell people the truth in love. I have to say that because my head wants to go there. Paul told people things they didn't want to hear. He's praying that they don't create a moral stink as they walk.
Apostle Paul Kind of Prayers
4. Fruitful in EVERY good work. I know how much I want my work to mean something. I can pray this for others. God loves to give good gifts to His children!
5. Grow in the knowledge of God. I've heard some say we shouldn't want to grow in knowledge; knowledge puffs up. It can. It can also be a blessing. If we are walking in a worthy manner, we won't be puffed up.
6. Strengthened with ALL might, and just in case I don't quite get it, he adds, "according to His glorious power." I haven't been praying big enough. I want to pray like this. Huge. Apostle Paul kind of prayers.
Lord, help me pray huge prayers like the apostle Paul. I want to be faithful, filled with thanksgiving and joy. Let this become my norm. Teach me to pray, today. Blessed be the Name of the Lord.
© 2022 Arseayli