PS is practicing yoga since the age of 11. Her yoga retreats in India have helped her gain deep insights into self-awareness.
The focal point for awakening the Swadhisthana chakra is the urogenital part of the body. This includes the ovarian system in females and prostate gland and testes in males. This chakra is directly connected to your sexual energy.
You can reorient your sexual energy with two very powerful yogic techniques. This will also lead to the awakening of your Swadhisthana chakra. These are called Vajroli and Sahajoli mudras.
Men practice Vajroli mudra, while women practice Sahajoli mudra. These mudras have simple as well as difficult forms, which you must practice with an expert’s guidance. The methods given here in this article can be practiced by anyone.
Before that, you need to be efficient with Dhanurasana (Bow Pose), Shalabhasana (Locust Pose), and Uddiyana Bandha (Abdominal Lock). With knowledge of these yogic techniques, you can easily perfect the mudras.
There are many asanas in the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali that directly trigger the Swadhisthana chakra. They also help you in sharpening and purification of your senses. To do so, you must perform the following asanas:
- Shakti Bandha yoga series
- Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose)
- Shashank - Bhujangasana (Striking Cobra Pose)
- Shashankasana (Hare Posture)
- Dhanurasana (Bow Pose)
These asanas also purify your breathing to a very high level and also stretch your body. After these asanas, here are some practices specific to the Swadhisthana chakra.
1. Concentrate on the Swadhisthana chakra location
- Sit in a comfortable position with straight or cross-legged legs.
- Move your finger down at the bottom of your spine.
- Feel the presence of coccyx, the tailbone.
- Move your finger one inch upwards near the sacral portion of the pelvis.
- Press the point for a minute.
- After releasing the point, you’ll notice a residual sensation.
- Swadhisthana chakra is located half an inch deep into the sensation
- Focus on that point at least for a minute or two.
2. Concentrate on the Kshetram location
You have learned about the presence of Swadhsithana chakra in your body. Now, it is also important to know about its Kshetram, which lies on the front part of your body.
- Move your finger to the bottom of your abdomen
- Stop at the bony part of the pelvis, called pubis. This is the Swadhisthana chakra Kshetram.
- Press hard on this point at least for a minute.
- Remove the finger and mentally focus on that point.
- For deep focus, you can chant the mantra Om or any other that your guru may suggest to you.
3. Ashwini mudra (Horse Gesture)
- Sit in Padmasana or any other posture you feel comfortable in.
- Relax your body, close your eyes, and stay aware of your breathing.
- Contract the anal sphincter muscles for a second then relax them for another second.
- Repeat this process.
- Observe the resulting waves spreading around the Swadhisthana chakra.
- Focus your whole awareness at that center.
- Practice this for a few minutes.
4. Vajroli Mudra (For men, Thunderbolt Attitude)
- Sit in Siddhasana (Accomplished pose) using a cushion or mat
- Close your eyes and breathe normally.
- Pull your lower abdomen and contract the urinary system
- This will create tensed lower abdominal muscles so that you can draw your sexual organs upwards.
- The contraction is similar to controlling the urge to urinate.
- While practicing this mudra, don’t try to perform Ashwini mudra or Moola Bandha at the same time.
- Keep the contraction at least for 10 seconds, then release it for another 10 seconds.
- Put a continuous mental focus on the Kshetram.
- Practice it for a few minutes.
5. Sahajoli Mudra (For women, Thunderbolt Attitude)
- Sit in Siddha yoni asana using a cushion or mat.
- Put the heel of your clean foot at the entrance of your vagina.
- Relax and close your eyes.
- Contract and relax the vaginal muscles several times.
- Increase the contraction until it has become deep and intense.
- The duration of contraction and relaxation must be at least 10 seconds.
- Repeat this process several times and mentally focus on the location of the Swadhisthana chakra or its Kshetram.
You must attain perfection in these practices within a month. These practices are extremely crucial for the awakening of Swadhisthana chakra. They also channelize your sexual energy in spiritual direction.
You must also remember that Swadhisthana chakra is related to Bindu visarga and act as a switch for it. This means, the awakening of Swadhisthana simultaneously affects the awakening of Bindu as well. However, at this level, Bindu visarga is only stimulated to an extent, but not completely awakened.
Besides these practices, you must also keep on practicing the asanas related to Ajna and Mooladhara chakras.
© 2020 Prachi Sharma