Rev. Margaret Minnicks is an ordained Bible teacher. She writes many articles that are Bible lessons.
No matter how long someone you have been working on a job or performing a special task, you might want to know from time to time if you are on the right track. If you are, then you can continue doing what you are doing with ease. If you know you are not on the right track, then you can make adjustments to get on the right track.
Being on the right track is simply an expression that means a person is doing everything in a way that will lead to success. A track consists of rails on which the wheels of a train must stay on in order to move in the right direction. This idiom applies to people who stay on the track that leads to great things while on their personal journey.
It is better to get on the right track sooner than later. It is not good to be going in the wrong direction. If so, there will be consequences that result in the loss of time, money, and motivation. Therefore, pay attention to signs along the way. They indicate whether you are going in the right direction.
There are positive signs to help a person determine if you are on the right track. What people say is not a 100 percent guarantee that you are on the right track, but it certainly will give you an indication and something to think about.
Here are some positive things people might say or do.
- Compliments: When some of your family members and friends see that you are doing something worthwhile, they might compliment you.
- Confidence: It is a very good sign when people have confidence in you. That means they will encourage you and keep you inspired. You want these people on your side. They care about you and what you are doing. They seem to really be concerned about your endeavors.
- Checkups: There is nothing wrong with people checking up on you and letting you know how they see you as you run a business, succeed in ministry, or complete a major task.
Negative talk can also be helpful. It lets you know what the haters are saying about you whether it is true or not. What they say will give you something to think about. Therefore, listen to them and use what you can and disregard anything that is not beneficial.
- Criticisms: While criticisms seem like a strange way to let you know you are on the right track, it might be a good way to tell. People criticize what you are doing because they don't have the motivation or inclination to do something similar themselves. Look at their criticisms as well as their compliments.
- Complaints: Complaints are similar to criticisms. The naysayers complain about something you are doing because they might be jealous of your actions.
Combination of Positive and Negative Signs
Some signs could be either positive or negative or a combination of both.
- Cross-examinations: Beware of personal questions some people are bold enough to ask you. They just might be gathering information to backstab you because they covet the great work you are doing.
- Comparison: Be concerned when people compare what you are doing with others. It could be a good sign if you are compared to people who are on the right track. However, it could not be a good sign if you are compared to someone who is doing no good thing.
Is God on the Same Track with You?
The best way to be assured that you are on the right track is to be sure that God is on the same track with you. Here are questions to ask yourself.
- Covenant: Do you have an agreement with God to do what you are doing?
- Confirmation: Is what you are doing confirmed by the scriptures?
- Comfortable: Are you comfortable in your spirit? If so, it is a very good sign that you are on the right track?
If you can honestly answer "Yes" to all three of the above questions, then you are on the right track. If that is the case, then the positive and negative comments from people shouldn't matter as much.
Margaret Minnicks (author) from Richmond, VA on September 10, 2018:
Ellison, thanks for reading and commenting on my article about being on the right track. I take inventory and check myself all the time to determine if I am on the right track. Hopefully, the signs I listed will help others.
Ellison Hartley from Maryland, USA on September 10, 2018:
I loved this, I think that whether or not we are on the right path in life is something that we all question from time to time. Thanks again for a great article!