I believe that everyone should know at least a few facts about the world's many religions. This is the first of a series of articles, in which I will share a few fun facts about the many diverse religious philosophies of the world. I hope you enjoy these snippets of knowledge, and learn something new about the faith of a friend or colleague!
Judaism is the religion of the Jewish people, which originates from the stories in the Hebrew Bible , where the Jews are described as "G-d's chosen people." Here are a few fun facts about the Jewish faith:
- Judaism is one of the oldest religions in the world.
- Abraham, father of Isaac, is the traditional founding father of Judaism.
- Judaism is the only religion in the world that has lost its holy land and was able to regain it.
- The original language of Judaism is Hebrew, and is still used by Jews today.
- A kipa, or yarmulke, is a small dish-shaped cap worn by male Jews to fulfil a requirement, stated in the Talmud , that their head should be covered at all times.
- Two major holidays celebrated by Jews are Passover and Hanukkah.
- A Jewish teacher is called a Rabbi.
- The term kosher, or in Hebrew, kashrut , is used to describe the dietary laws of the Jews. Jews are forbidden to imbibe foods that are considered "unclean" as commanded in the Torah .
- Traditional, or Orthodox Jews, adhere to 613 commandments, outlined in the Torah , as opposed to Christianity's 10.
- At the age of 13, Jewish children become responsible for their own action, and usually hold a ceremony to commemorate their rite of passage from childhood into adulthood, when they become bar mitzvah (for boys) or bat mitzvah (for girls).
- The seventh day of the week is the Sabbath. Jews are commanded to keep the Sabbath as a day of rest, as G-d rested after six days of creating the world.
- Gematria is the name of a system of Jewish numerology, assigning a numerical value to letters.
- The Sanhedrin, the chief court of law in the ancient Jewish tradition comprised of 71 rabbis.
- Antisemitism is a word used to describe hatred and discrimination against people of the Jewish faith.
- The Western Wall is a large retain wall is all that is left of the second Jewish Temple, built in Jerusalem by King Herod. It is located on the western side of the Temple Mount. Jews gather there daily for prayer and celebration.
erika murray on April 22, 2020:
learning about Judaism in school and wow this deffo gave me extra class points .
bobo on March 24, 2020:
this is helpful
my name bob on January 10, 2020:
this was helpful -_-
reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee on May 24, 2019:
umm wth is this
bob on January 10, 2019:
this was kinda helpful
johnnybut fart on January 23, 2018:
Alexander James Guckenberger from Maryland, United States of America on December 14, 2017:
The Hebrew "rabbi" and the Arabic "rab" used to simply mean "master".
bob on March 23, 2017:
i really appreciate this for a project i am doing in 6th grade. thank you HUBBBBB
Your mama. on January 26, 2017:
I really like these facts. They are really good facts. Like OMG WOW!!!
falcon on March 01, 2016:
Thanks for the help
Grace on May 06, 2015:
Wow,these facts are really amazing
me on January 20, 2015:
Thanks soooooooooo much it really helped!!!
OMGitsAzzaB on December 01, 2014:
Thanks This Website Really Helped!
Bob the builder on November 10, 2014:
girl on November 04, 2014:
Shivi on October 28, 2014:
Thanks it helped me hwk
Jacinta on October 09, 2014:
This is extremely good i lyk it infact thanks
johari kiemo 32 on June 24, 2014:
Also I liked I was some diffculties going on the website and understanding the words and I would really appreciate if their were more basic but I like the effort you put in it. I would rate it 6 stars
dancer13 on June 11, 2014:
I loved ur website its amazing its helps with projects homework and many more thx for helping
dflanka on June 11, 2014:
it was very useful in in many ways to cheat with homework
sayeedur123 on May 18, 2014:
this is homework!!! :)
bob on December 11, 2013:
Timothny Roberts on September 12, 2013:
I rather enjoyed reading this, I learned a various amount of facts about Judaism, that I never knew! Ahar, fancy me not knowing something. Anyway, good good, and keep the work up, darling.
Patricia on August 28, 2013:
I worked for many years in Jewish community with a Jewish boss.they all treated me very well.as a hairdresser some of the clients saw me as a future daughter in law and went to any functions.sunday morning was always busy with comb outs fine until they found out I was a Christian.i h ave always been interested in the reliagion
muslim on June 05, 2013:
thanks for teaching me about jews
the on May 04, 2013:
freaking rockes dude whu hu baby
teisha on April 19, 2013:
thx that info really helped with my homework
Aresh on March 12, 2013:
Tnx!!!It was very useful
cashmier on February 21, 2013:
this is wat i have to do on a report
TMApsey (author) from Wisconsin, USA on February 20, 2013:
I'm so glad that this was able to help you! You are welcome!
cj on February 20, 2013:
this site helped me get an A+.Thanks!:)
bryan on February 07, 2013:
i have to do a project and this is the greatest site ever!!! :)
roseyrose on January 22, 2013:
anais on January 20, 2013:
thank you for the facts on my homework i got star of the week thanks
niyait on January 12, 2013:
jess on January 09, 2013:
Thank you need this for re homework only good website i could find to get use full facts about judaism
sariyah on December 18, 2012:
Yeah, these facts on Judaism are really helpful.
kayleigh on December 04, 2012:
very good information do u know anything about jews? please get back to me! x
Taffin on December 02, 2012:
Thx for the facts
mike on September 18, 2012:
these facts are really use full for my project for school!
Tayla on June 28, 2012:
Your hub is very Intresting I have found out a lot of facts about judasim . i enjoyed reading them. Ireally needed to learn about those facts because i needed them for my home work .
Sophie on June 13, 2012:
Actually, Hannuka is not a major holiday, it is a minor one. It is made a big deal in the US because it comes around the same time as Christmas. So, it has become "Americanized" over the years. Maybe because of children's jealousy? or shopping sprees? Who knows..
Uzma Shaheen from Lahore,Pakistan on June 07, 2012:
I love to learn about different religeons and faith. your hub is very interesting. thanks for sharing this information.
Hannah Elliott on May 10, 2012:
Thankyou so much for posting these gr8 facts online! I am doing homework about Judaism and these facts are really useful!!!! :) Thanks!!!
TIm Goddard on March 30, 2012:
Useful and informative...Enjoyed reading the information on the Jewish Faith. Good Stuff! 613 Commandments! That's a lot. Do not think I could do it!
Cassie on February 13, 2012:
Very good! Thanks for some information. :)
Deborah Sexton on February 09, 2012:
Great and correct Info
RoseyRose on October 24, 2011:
this helped me, and im not jewish at all so yeah it helped for my school project.
FloraBreenRobison on August 21, 2011:
I've read these out of order. oops. 613 commandments. wow. Gematria is quite fascinating.
Devika12 on August 20, 2011:
I love your hub. I myself believe in all religions and appreciate when others people do the same. Every religion is pure and true in it's own essence.