This is the second of series of articles, intended to introduce people to a few facts about each of the world's most popular religions and philosophies. I believe that everyone should have a basic knowledge of each religion in order to understand the views of people of other religious backgrounds.
Christianity is the world's largest and most popular religion, and is based upon the stories in the Bible , which happens to be the world's number one bestselling book of all time. Christians believe that Jesus Christ was the son of God, born of the virgin Mary. Jesus taught people many things and preformed many miracles before he was crucified to pay for the sins of humanity. After three days in the tomb, Jesus rose from the dead, and forty days later ascended to heaven, where he watches over humanity with God the Father.
Here are some fun facts about Christianity:
- There are 66 books in the Bible, 39 in the Old Testament, and 27 in the New Testament.
- Christians' two most observed holidays are Easter (celebrating the resurrection of Christ) and Christmas (celebrating the birth of Christ).
- There are thousands different sects of Christianity, each claiming different interpretations of certain portions of biblical text.
- In the Bible , there are around one hundred different names used for God.
- The Bible has been translated into 1,200 different languages, including Klingon, for the Star Trek enthusiasts.
- Many Christians will be baptised, a sacrament that involves application of water to the head, or full body submersion. This symbolically represents the washing away of sins, and a rite of acceptance into the Christian faith.
- Communion, or Eucharist, is a Christian sacrament that involves consuming bread, or a wafer and wine, or grape juice. These symbolize the body and blood of Christ and the story of the Last Supper, where Jesus broke bread with his apostles, before he was taken to be crucified.
- Christians believe in one God, but that God exists in three forms, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
- Because the Bible is the world's number one bestseller, it is also the most shoplifted book in the world.
- The two most important commandments that Jesus taught are to love God with all your heart, mind and soul, and to love your neighbor as yourself.
- T. M. Apsey
T. M. Apsey's author page. The best place to find all the latest published articles and blog posts by T. M. Apsey on HubPages and The Skeptic Religion Scholar.
- The Skeptic Religion Scholar
Momo Shmid on February 28, 2019:
can we have more facts pls I need it to pass my R.E exam
Kaylee Hart on December 05, 2017:
Make more facts please
awesome! on August 14, 2014:
nice facts steve
steve on October 18, 2013:
FACT OR FICTION?
Is everything you have been taught about Christianity fact or has there been a lot of fiction presented as Biblical truth?
Here are some doctrinal positions, are they fact or fiction?
1. The New Covenant was in force during the three year ministry of Jesus. Fact or Fiction? That would be fiction.
Hebrews 9:16-17 where a covenant is, there must of necessity be the death of the one who made it. 17 For a covenant is valid only when men are dead, for it is never in force while the one who made it lives.
The New Covenant was not in force while Jesus was alive.
2. The apostle Peter used the keys to the kingdom heaven (the keys to enter the church of Christ) before the Day of Pentecost. Fact or Fiction? That would be fiction.
Matthew 16:19 I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven....
Luke 24:47 and that repentance for forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all nations beginning from Jerusalem.
The apostle Peter first used the keys to enter the Lord's church, at Jerusalem, on the Day of Pentecost. Three thousand entered the kingdom of God on earth. The kingdom of God on earth is the church of the Lord Jesus Christ.
The three thousand who were saved and added to the church of Christ on the Day of Pentecost believed that God raised Jesus from the dead and that Jesus was was both Lord and Christ. They repented and were immersed in water so they could have their sins forgiven and then they received the gift of the Holy Spirit. (Acts 2:22-41) They were saved under the New Covenant terms of pardon.
3. The thief on the cross was saved from the punishment of his sins. Fact or Fiction? That would be a fact.
4. Men today can be saved just like the thief on the cross. Fact or Fiction? That would be fiction. The thief was not saved under the New Testament terms of pardon.
The thief did believe in his heart that Jesus had been resurrected from the grave. (Romans 10:9 that is you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.)
The thief was not immersed in water for the forgiveness of his sins. (Acts 2:38 ...be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins...)
5. Moses, Elijah, Job, Enoch, Abraham and Noah were all men of faith and saved . Fact or Fiction? That would be a fact.
6. Men living today can be saved just like Moses, Elijah, Job, Abraham, and Noah. Fact or Fiction? That would be fiction. These men lived and died before the New covenant was in effect.
Men, today, can only be saved by believing in Jesus. (Acts 4:10-12, John 14:6)
7. Jesus did not say baptism was essential in order to be saved. Fact or Fiction? That would fiction.
Jesus said "and has been baptized shall be saved" (Mark 16:16)
8. Peter and the apostles never taught water baptism was for the forgiveness of sins. Fact or Fiction. That would be fiction. (Acts 2:37-38)
9. Men are added to the body of Christ before they are baptized in water. Fact or Fiction? That would be fiction. (Acts 2:41)
10. Saul was saved on the road to Damascus before his sins were forgiven. Fact or Fiction? That would be fiction. Men cannot be saved without having their sins forgiven. Saul had had his sins forgiven three days later, when he was in Damascus, not on the road to Damascus. (Acts 22:16)(Acts 9:9)
YOU ARE INVITED TO FOLLOW MY CHRISTIAN BLOG. http:/steve-finnell.blogspot.com
Autumn on April 19, 2013:
jackie on February 05, 2013:
thank yall jackie h. 1181386
Reign on December 06, 2012:
It was a good website.
Angelina :D on September 08, 2012:
I have had faith in Jesus Christ for a lot of years. I got baptised when I was only 9 or 10 years old! Jesus Christ has helped me through many ways in my life and that's why i'll always love him and have faith in him! :D
jamiet2012ad on July 19, 2012:
religion is a funny thing if you believe in the wrong god you go to hell if you don't believe you go to hell and if you sin against god you go to hell. Except the religions that don't have hell (ironicly). What will we all think in the future when these religions die out just like the gods of the aztecs the gods of the greeks and also the egyptians will they all just be a myth aswell?
kungfusion on July 02, 2012:
Some very interesting Christian trivia there, and don't wish in any way to belittle their importance. Please post more! If the Bible were truly written by a Creator, then it doesn't take a psychiatrist to spot a split personality. Christians really have it tough- God wants kill everyone, then he wants to love everyone- that's not normal. Once it was all bad and sin and evil, then suddenly along comes the good news. What good news? Some rehashed tale about Mithras or Hora and any number of Pagan beliefs cobbled together with one main bit told four times? a publisher's nightmare I reckon. Everyone else made it into the historical record except Jesus. Why? It's worth thinking about.
revengadown on April 18, 2012:
very representative hub,but unfortunitely the Bible you have today is altered,unreliable and mostly filled with manmade laws and corruption.The christianity is kinda paganism
rashida on April 17, 2012:
islam is the best religion, please read about it before you comment on it.thankyou.
Brad Masters from Southern California on February 25, 2012:
Shouldn't there be one religion for God?
It is a shame that you didn't get more comments.
charles wade from Chicago, Illinois on February 07, 2012:
I didn't know it was the most shoplifted book, but when a person is down and out they often turn there.
The Logician from then to now on on August 25, 2011:
Brief and concise interesting tidbits. Some (the main stream media) would have you believe Islam is the world's largest and most popular religion..the obvious difference is that Islam is a coersive religion that forces you to remain in it under penalty of death! Christianity is totally a religion anyone is free to choose or reject.
SheliaKay from Marietta, Ohio..... but born and raised in Northern Ohio on Lake Erie on August 22, 2011:
Very interesting hub. I have been researching religious beliefs all my adult life and in the process of writing about it myself. I enjoy your writings. You got my vote and follow.
FloraBreenRobison on August 20, 2011:
The Bible is the most shoplifted book in the world!? For some reason I find that halarious.