Andrea has worked with HubPages for 8+ years. She mostly writes about dating, couples, weddings, travel, interior design, and gardening.
Gemini + Virgo
A Gemini and Virgo relationship is a meeting of beautiful minds. Gemini is considered one of the most intelligent signs of the zodiac. The Virgo is considered one of the most studious, hard-working, and persistent signs. They'll likely fall in love because they get each other on a mental wave. They may have met in the classroom, in a science lab, or at a comic convention.
- Gemini is a late spring sign. Virgo is a late summer sign. They're both mutable, open to new ideas, and somewhat indecisive. They think the best part of a season is at the end.
- Gemini represents the arms and shoulders. They're a fascinating whirlwind of duality. They also tend to like to give and receive hugs. Virgo is represented by the chest. This gives them a boldness and confidence to accomplish tasks. The Virgo has pride.
- Both are ruled by the planet Mercury. They both have a knack for communication and intelligence.
- Gemini is an air sign. Virgo is an earth sign. Most of their conflicts come from their differing elements.
Gemini is a wondrous complex of nerves. He is a brilliant thinker who mostly wants to keep things lighthearted. This sign is really confused by emotional shifts, and he doesn't always understand them too well. Gemini does well with a partner who is more thought oriented and less about emotional displays.
If the Gemini borrows more from Taurus, he'll likely fall for a Virgo. If the Gemini borrows more from Cancer, he may have emotional qualities that the Virgo finds interesting.
Virgo is a hard-working and accomplished woman. She is also a masterful thinker in part because she studies so hard. She doesn't feel the need to be highly fashionable or decorative. This is a woman who usually likes to keep her belongings simple and clean. She is the queen of neutral colors and patterns.
The Gemini who is bound by chaos will be attracted to the Virgo's clean sensibilities. Virgo will be amazed by Gemini's mind. It will both be gratifying and frustrating to try an untangle his thoughts. The Virgo will be more in charge of practical household chores and the budget. The Virgo is more down to earth and does well to manage physical resources. Meanwhile, the Gemini will spontaneously be trying new skills.
The two have the potential to have a long romance that can last for decades. Once these two coalesce, they tend to stay together.
When Air Meets Earth
Gemini is born when all the hard-work of spring is done, so they have the joy of walking around in the beauty of spring without having to work too hard to maintain the season.
Gemini is lucky in that they get to enjoy and explore the mysteries of life. This is a sign that by its very nature is kind, sweet, humorous, and somewhat insensitive — it is completely unaware of the struggles and burdens others go through in other seasons. Also, the Gemini can be clumsy and not realize how they're stepping on people's toes, whether literally or metaphorically.
Sometimes Gemini is hated because they seem to have so much going for them — and naturally because they do have more brainpower. They tend to be part of the cool club, capable of attracting both beauty and wealth. Geminis can set their mind on any problem and solve it. They're quick thinkers, they're full of energy and cardio, and they're always looking for what's funny.
They're not brooding and emotionally morbid like a Scorpio. They're not existential and constantly delving through different dimensions like Aquarius. And Gemini doesn't have the intense ego and insanity of the hot and powerfully dynamic Leo. Of course, I've just compared Gemini to the fixed signs and not the mutable signs, which is Gemini's modality... so of course, Gemini isn't rigid like them.
As for the mutables, Gemini has square relationships with Virgo and Pisces. They're similar, but Gemini is more jovial and lucky than Virgo and Pisces. The earth and water signs are more serious. They take matters to heart. Gemini is more like Sagittarius who is spontaneous, freedom seeking, and quick witted.
Virgo is an elegant, faithful, and hard-working soul who must take on the chores to cleanup after the previous signs and the passion and chaos of summer. Virgo thinks Aries through Leo are all somewhat immature.
Virgo is late in summer and cleans things up so that fall can be as enjoyable as people. Virgo takes care of the financial tasks, the harvest, the good things. It's a time when the weather cools down a few notches, sometimes when the rain explodes in certain parts of the world, and when school picks up for many.
Virgo is studious; it's the first sign that prepares for the holiday season. This is someone who can be somewhat of a loner, monk-like, even celibate. Their scholarship will be attractive to Gemini, although sometimes they'll come off close-minded which Gemini finds paradoxical. How can someone be intelligent and close-minded?
- Virgo doesn't always look for a partner. When they do, they want someone who is consistent, who values the same things they do, and who can hold their own.
- Virgo can be very traditional and conservative. They may struggle to understand Gemini's views which tend to be more progressive.
- Virgo is all about virtue. They want the world to be a better place. They stick up for noble causes.
- Virgo has long term vision. They don't buy things out of impulse. They save up their money for retirement.
- This is a sign that honors independence. They value a partnership of two very independent people.
Square Sign Troubles
These two signs will constantly feel an intense connection to one another but also a mysterious pull. Why do things have to feel so intense?
It's because they are square signs within the zodiac. There is a certain amount of spacing in the zodiac that causes them to not entirely be opposites of each other but also not entirely the same.
- Square signs occur when two people have the same modality: cardinal, fixed, or mutable.
- The two signs will also be from neighboring seasons, in this case spring and summer.
- Square signs will feel both the same and different. This causes tension. That tension is often interpreted as romantic or psychic.
- Square signs will also mix yin and yang energies. In this case, Gemini is yang, Virgo is yin.
- Square signs are also about elements. Air and fire tend to go well together. Water and earth tend to go well together. When Air mixes with earth or water, it's mixing together different worlds. Air and fire are about vitality: air is about the vitality of thoughts. Fire is about the vitality of freewill. Meanwhile, earth and water are about organization. Earth is about matters of physical resources; water is about matters of the heart. (I know, it's a lot to consider.)
Gemini is the relaxed part of spring with all the flowers, graduations, often the biggest wedding season, and the time of year when people move or take on new projects for summer. It's an exciting time of year for new adventures: it's a time for celebration and the acceptance of life. It's an incredibly hopeful and beautiful time of year. Gemini is defined by all this merriment and busy excitement.
Gemini is full of duality. It's this alchemy sign that allows for conversions. Gemini by its very nature is drawn to relationships. This is someone who flourishes with a partner, not alone — like how Virgo often wants to be.
Gemini mirrors their partner to better understand them. This is their classic flirting technique. They study people by mimicry. They show flattery by showing people a mirror of themselves. Virgo might feel threatened by this as they tend to be loners.
Virgo is also about new beginnings. Summer has ended and people return back to their studies, people at work plug in harder for fourth quarter sales, and there's a certain maturity and understanding of experience that Gemini doesn't have.
Virgo has seen sorrow, and knows that sorrow is to come. Virgo feels like they're standing between those sorrows and griefs, and instead they like to shield themselves from it, in almost a hermit like fashion as they bury themselves with knowledge and work.
Gemini will feel compelled to bring them out of isolation to show them the beauty of life, the beauty of the flowers — Virgo will find this enticing, while they try to show the Gemini the complications of servitude, virtue, and the labors of harvest. Some of this will be attractive to Gemini, some of it will elude him.
Mimicry, mirroring a person, wit, constant humor, constant communication, doing things together.
Chivalry, acts of service, doing chores for another, active communication, inviting over to dinner, punctuality.
Spontaneous, likes to try new things, traveling far just for specialty ice cream, unpredictable, having fun, being a little weird.
Likes dinner and a movie, a kiss on the cheek, flowers, traditional, predictable, great etiquette, holding hands, long walks, doing something practical together.
Being alone forever, never being understood, failure, incompetence, can't solve something, abandonment.
Imperfection, criticism, failure, no follow through, failing to live up to expectations.
Quest in Love
Finding someone who can understand them, finding someone worth mirroring forever, finding a partner who accepts them despite flaws. Gemini is relationship prone; they don't like to be single.
Finding someone who accepts their independence. Finding self-love. Stability is their dream.
During a Relationship
Constantly funny, dedicated to partner, tries different love languages, very reassuring, loves to communicate, chatterbox, excitable.
Likes structure, wants alone time, does chores for you, wants to be a helpful person.
The Differing Perspectives of Gemini and Virgo
Gemini and Virgo are a fascinating relationship. Gemini is an air sign, so they're constantly thinking — and to the point of having a nervous breakdown. They're edgy. They're constantly on the way to an epiphany or breakthrough.
Some argue Gemini is the most intelligent sign of the entire zodiac. I would argue Virgo is the most intelligent earth sign. Virgo would school both Taurus and Capricorn; however, Virgo's earth siblings know plenty from how they work directly with the planet.
- Taurus' efforts are felt for the entire year — he is a strategist.
- Capricorn's efforts are all about survival — his intelligence brings him a long life.
- Virgo's intelligence is about epiphany through solitude.
Air signs barely have to lift a finger to understand most things. They're constantly dealing with different forms of philosophy and communication. An air sign never stops communicating and thinking, until they're tired — if that. Their brains are a maze of thoughts.
Earth signs are much more grounded. They move at a slower speed. Think about it this way: wind moves at electric speed and shakes the leaves and branches. Earth is always moving, but you don't notice the ground changing when you stare at it. It takes a long time for continents to travel. The friction of earth moving creates earthquakes. Air bundles up and turns into tornadoes. We talk about air in miles per hour.
It doesn't mean earth signs are less intelligent — they're strategic, they understand the physics of how things move around them, they are in tune with their senses, and they are materialistic. Earth likes property and wealth. They want to have a legacy. They plot out their lives for the long term. Air signs are more opportunistic changing with the times.
Virgo is a clean type of energy. The Virgo manages things into practical, logical terms. They translate the world around them into what can be made sensible. Gemini brings in chaos and mess but at the same time beauty. Gemini is orderly to himself; Virgo doesn't find Gemini orderly at all.
There will be arguments because Gemini seems aloof and Virgo seems too rigid. Gemini wants to play and Virgo wants to work. Gemini thinks everything is funny. Virgo is very serious and well mannered. Gemini's emotions can be sudden and big and confusing for Virgo. Meanwhile, the Virgo can have brutal and directed anger. The Virgo can take a long time to forgive. The Virgo doesn't do well with criticism.
These two could get really mad at each other. They may find themselves way more stubborn in this pairing than other ones. They'll be okay if Gemini can occasionally be serious, and if Virgo can lighten up and find humor.
Falling in Love
These two fall in love because of their love of thought. They make for great dinner companions. They're curious about each other, and this helps bring them out of their shells. They both feel a lot of responsibility in the world, so it's nice to be with someone who understands that.
Gemini wants Virgo to see the flowers, but Virgo can only go so far and starts to reduce the flowers to a plant, as if the flower was never special.
Virgo wants Gemini to see the beginnings of scholarship, but Gemini is too focused on graduation and has already learned what they need to know. Gemini doesn't need to study so hard. That just makes them anxious.
Virgo is working hard to accomplish something, Gemini is already on the go. When air talks to earth, it seems fast, almost childish, and frenetic. When earth talks to wind, it sometimes is boring, too short, too serious, and too stodgy. Sometimes these two have a really hard time seeing eye to eye and need counseling to learn new communication methods.
Other times, these two understand each other so well, that they are content to be with each other in quiet, reading a book, and drinking some tea. They can be like Sherlock Holmes (Gemini) and Watson (Virgo).
They like each other and have high standards. They are both at times of the year when there is moderate heat — Gemini is ahead of the maddening heat of July and August. Virgo comes just after it.
Gemini is what happens before you put something in the oven. Virgo is what you get after you take it out of the oven. This alchemical change is fascinating for both partners.
They both despise heat in a way. The heat ruins the pretty and amazing colors that spring brought into the world that Gemini loves. Heat ruins Gemini's flowers and fruit.
Virgo hates the heat because it prevented her from getting some real work done. The heat makes Virgo tired, so they can't get all the things they need done. They have to delay tasks.
Gemini is successful at work because they know how to turn it into play; Virgo is successful at play because they know how to turn it into work. There's all kinds of nuances here, and they can make your head spin.
Ways to Make This Relationship Work
- Gemini needs to write down things that Virgo says. Gemini needs to let these things soak in her head, and then come back to talk about these points later. Sometimes Gemini is so in her head that she's not listening to her partner. Not listening to Virgo could lead to the breakdown of the relationship.
- Virgo needs to stop being critical of Gemini and the relationship. A love of perfection will destroy it. Gemini doesn't fit evenly into a box; they're overflowing with love and spring-like energy. If you try to reduce and re-frame it into something simpler, you could kill it. Gemini needs to be progressive and different, so let them be.
- Gemini needs to say sweet things and practical things beyond sarcastic and funny things. Show more of who you are and don't act like you are a one-dimensional creature. Show your sweeter and kinder side. Gemini in any relationship needs to be more vulnerable.
- Virgo needs to be open to talking about what bothers him. Don't just reach for the nuclear option and breakup because you refuse to come out of your shell or because it seems like the easy option. Gemini has more feelings invested in you than you realize.
- Both people need space. Giving each other space will save you from arguments. Relationships are a lot like eyebrows: they need space.
- Virgo needs to not take things so seriously and hold a grudge. Let go of the grudge and don't beat it over someone's head. Practice forgiveness.
- Gemini needs to make plans and step in to help with cleaning. Gemini also needs to set boundaries and know when other people are in control. Gemini is bad about this because spring is wild and expansive. Spring runs over everything.
- Virgo, you have blind spots too. You can be cold and calculated. You can hold onto grudges way too long. You can hinder Gemini's creativity if you try to put your foot down. You need to be more open-minded and relaxed. Stop worrying.
- Gemini needs to communicate their anxieties. Don't hold in your thoughts and feelings. Also, communicate when you're in a bind. Give a call if you're running late.
- Virgo needs to make their expectations clear. When you make your expectations clear to the Gemini, they can then try to reach those expectations.
- You can't read each other's minds. You're both guided by Mercury, so you have similar giftings and curses.
- Compromise is your friend.
Gemini and Virgo at a Glance
Planet they are Ruled by
Sarcastic, intelligent, funny, silly, chaotic, lighthearted, and anxious
Hard-working, faithful, intelligent, serious, loner, studious, clean, and precise
Shoulders and arms
May 21 - June 21
August 23 - September 22
Yin or Yang
This content reflects the personal opinions of the author. It is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and should not be substituted for impartial fact or advice in legal, political, or personal matters.
© 2019 Andrea Lawrence
Andrea Lawrence (author) from Chicago on November 07, 2019:
I try to always include that last part in these hubs, feels like it's often what people want.
Andrea Lawrence (author) from Chicago on November 07, 2019:
You're welcome! Look around for other posts to see if they help.
lemuriangirl on November 03, 2019:
As a Venus in Virgo, I appreciated the practical "How to Make this Relationship Work" at the end of the article. It's a nice overview overall, and it helps to know that there are other planets in other signs that will also have an impact on how the relationship plays out, e.g. Moon signs, Venus signs, Mars... the personal inner planets interplay gives a rich idea of the potentialities of the relationship between 2 unique people.
kattysexy on November 03, 2019:
Nice post. Thx