Freedom is a disciple and a seeker of higher learning. She utilizes prayer, the bible, and other resources when writing her articles.
A mental illness is also known as a mental disorder. There are hundreds of conditions identified as mental disorders.
Some disorders such as depression are often the result of mixed events and factors that have taken place in a person's life. If a person does not fully recover from a crisis, emotional damage, or other factors this may result in a mental illness. This may alter a person's behavior, thoughts, or emotions.
If you are saved or become saved, you do not have to live with a mental illness that disrupts your life.
You Are Not The Same
2 Corinthians 5:17 (KJV) Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things become new.
If you have repented and have been baptized, you are not the same person. Your sins have been washed away, however, some of the old habits of the flesh may still remain.
You have been born again. It is time to walk away from the old way of living and into the new.
Renew Your Mind
In Romans, we are instructed to renew our minds.
Romans 12:2 (KJ21) And be not conformed to this world, but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Most often people return to old habits and thought patterns. Recognize the negative thoughts patterns in your life.
- Things will never change.
- I can't do anything right.
- There is no hope.
Sometimes it is difficult to break old habits and almost harder to know where to begin. Let's begin in Philippians, here we are given instructions on what to dwell on.
Philippians 4:8 (KJV) Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Renewing your mind will take some work just like breaking any habit.
Let's return to our examples, but this time replacing the negative thoughts with true, positive thoughts from the bible.
- Things will never change. That is inaccurate. In Jeremiah, it says God has plans to prosper me, give me hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:1 (KJV) For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, to give you a future and a hope. For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
- I can't do anything right. This is incorrect. Christ can strengthen me.
Philippians 4:13 (KJV) I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
- There is no hope. Be encouraged. God is with you. Joshua 1:9 (KJV) Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.
If you are discouraged remember this is a process. Don't stop trying. Book mark or jot down the scriptures that help you. Memorize them. If negative thoughts sneak in, replace them with the scriptures.
What about when someone hurts you? It is often hard to dwell on a good report when you have been hurt.
Forgiveness is crucial. Various researches have shown unforgiveness is often linked to mental disorders and some physical illnesses as well.
Matthew 18:21 (KJV)“Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?”
When someone has done us wrong we often replay the event or conversation in our minds. This is a valuable key. It helps us acknowledge the fact we have not yet forgiven the perpetrator.
Romans 12:19 (KJV) Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.
When we forgive someone the weight we once carried is lifted.
Forgiving and forgetting are different things. Although God expects us to forgive those who have harmed us. It's a wise idea not to put ourselves back into a toxic environment if we can help it.
Isaiah 55:7 (KJV) Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts and let him return until the Lord, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.
Pray and Repent
God loves you and wants to help you.
1 Peter 5:7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.
God wants to commune with his children. It is not his will for his children to suffer. He cares about you. Ask him to help you.
- God, please help me to acknowledge the false and negative thought patterns in my life. Help me shut the doors to these habits.
- God, please show me if there is anyone I have not forgiven. Please help me forgive as you have forgiven me.
- God, please bring to my attention anything I may need to repent of. I want to please you.
- God, please forgive me for anything that I have done or thought that is not accurate to your word.
Renewing your mind, forgiving, repenting, and praying are four important keys to walking in the freedom that God has intended for you.
Personal Note From The Author
I am not suggesting nor do I recommend terminating prescribed medication without first consulting your physician.
I have followed these same steps in this article and have been freed from rejection, depression, most fears, and anxieties that I had once struggled with.
I pray that this article encourages you and sets you free.
Sources Used for Research
- Mental Health: The Brain and Mental Illness
The experts at WebMD explain how chemical imbalances in the brain may lead to mental illness.
- BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 150 versions and 50 languages.
Read, hear, and study Scripture at the world's most-visited Christian website. Grow your faith with devotionals, Bible reading plans, and mobile apps.
This content reflects the personal opinions of the author. It is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and should not be substituted for impartial fact or advice in legal, political, or personal matters.
© 2021 Freedom C