Alexander has been a Christian for 46 years. Over the past decade he has studied 'the end times’ from a Preterist's perspective.
Babylon the Great is not the rebuilt city of Babylon, pagan or Papal Rome, nor the apostate Church; the list of theories seems endless. New Yorkers can rest assured it is not their city either!
When attempting to understand the ‘end times’ our primary source of information should be the Scriptures, not the daily newspaper, international events, current affairs, or even the fictional ‘Left Behind’ paperbacks.
- Rev 1:1-3 KJV The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John: 2 Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw. 3 Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.
‘to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass’ / ‘for the time is at hand' The 1st century Church understood by these opening statements that the fulfilment of the vision was applicable to their generation.
‘keep those things which are written therein' The saints had the capacity to understand the Revelation; otherwise, it would have been unreasonable to demand their obedience. Nevertheless, today it is considered the most enigmatic book in the New Testament. Taking into account context and audience relevance, 1st century fulfillment is a clear and obvious conclusion. In my opinion, our difficulty is our reluctance to believe the numerous impending time statements in the first and last chapters.
In search of Babylon the Great, I have selected a range of Scriptures to support my view Jerusalem was Babylon the Great.
The Whore of Babylon
Identifying the City Described as a Harlot
- Rev 17:5-6 KJV And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH. 6 And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration.
- Isa 1:21 KJV How is the faithful city become a harlot! it was full of judgment; righteousness lodged in it; but now murderers.
In the Scriptures, the only great city described as a harlot was Jerusalem.
- Mat 12:39 KJV But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:
'How is the faithful city become a harlot!' God's covenant with Israel was like a marriage. Nevertheless, Israel was unfaithful, following after the idols of surrounding heathen nations. The sign of the prophet Jonah was an antitype of Christ's resurrection.
- Luk 19:41-44 KJV And when he was come near, he beheld the city, and wept over it, 42 Saying, If thou hadst known, even thou, at least in this thy day, the things which belong unto thy peace! but now they are hid from thine eyes. 43 For the days shall come upon thee, that thine enemies shall cast a trench about thee, and compass thee round, and keep thee in on every side, 44 And shall lay thee even with the ground, and thy children within thee; and they shall not leave in thee one stone upon another; because thou knewest not the time of thy visitation.
Forty years later His prophecy was fulfilled to the letter.
A Quote from John Wesley's Notes on the Bible
Luke 19:43 'Thine enemies shall cast a trench about thee, and compass thee around - All this was exactly performed by Titus, the Roman general.'
Identifying the City by a Major Event
- Rev 11:8 KJV And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.
Many scholars believe the Revelation described Rome not Jerusalem, however, the clue is in the verse ‘where the Lord was crucified’.
Identifying the City by its Spiritual Names
- Rev 11:8 KJV And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.
What great city was ‘spiritually’ called Sodom? There was only one and it was Jerusalem.
- Isa 1:8-10 KJV And the daughter of Zion is left as a cottage in a vineyard, as a lodge in a garden of cucumbers, as a besieged city. 9 Except the LORD of hosts had left unto us a very small remnant, we should have been as Sodom, and we should have been like unto Gomorrah. 10 Hear the word of the LORD, ye rulers of Sodom; give ear unto the law of our God, ye people of Gomorrah.
- Jer 23:14 KJV I have seen also in the prophets of Jerusalem a horrible thing: they commit adultery, and walk in lies: they strengthen also the hands of evildoers, that none doth return from his wickedness: they are all of them unto me as Sodom, and the inhabitants thereof as Gomorrah.
Jerusalem was called 'Sodom' and 'Gomorrah' by prophets Isaiah and Jeremiah.
- Mat 17:17 KJV Then Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him hither to me.
The city ‘spiritually is called Sodom’ after the wickedness of its inhabitants.
What great city was ‘spiritually’ Egypt? There was only one, Jerusalem, for its persecution of God's remnant people. The plagues that devastated Egypt were about to come upon that city.
Identifying the City by its Apparel
- Rev 18:16 KJV And saying, Alas, alas, that great city, that was clothed in fine linen, and purple, and scarlet, and decked with gold, and precious stones, and pearls!
What great city was clothed in fine linen? There was only one and it was Jerusalem.
- Eze 16:10-12 KJV I clothed thee also with broidered work, and shod thee with badgers' skin, and I girded thee about with fine linen, and I covered thee with silk. 11 I decked thee also with ornaments, and I put bracelets upon thy hands, and a chain on thy neck. 12 And I put a jewel on thy forehead, and earrings in thine ears, and a beautiful crown upon thine head.
The prosperity and grandeur of Jerusalem reached its peak during the reign of David and his son Solomon.
'I girded thee about with fine linen' This was emblematic of Jerusalem during a period when God blessed the city.
Identifying the City by its Persecution of the Saints
- Rev 18:20-21 KJV Rejoice over her, thou heaven, and ye holy apostles and prophets; for God hath avenged you on her. 21 And a mighty angel took up a stone like a great millstone, and cast it into the sea, saying, Thus with violence shall that great city Babylon be thrown down, and shall be found no more at all.
- Mat 23:37 KJV O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not.
Jesus warned 1st century Jerusalem of pending judgement and destruction because it was the city that killed the prophets.
- Luk 11:50-51 KJV That the blood of all the prophets which was shed from the foundation of the world may be required of this generation, 51 From the blood of Abel unto the blood of Zacharias, who was slain between the altar and the temple. Yea I say to you: It shall be required of this generation.
The fulfillment of Jesus' prophecy was in AD 70, within the lifetime of His generation.
- Luk 13:33 KJV Nevertheless I must walk to day, and to morrow, and the day following: for it cannot be that a prophet perish out of Jerusalem.
A Quote from Jamieson, Fausset and Brown Commentary
Luke 13:33 'it cannot be that a prophet, etc. — “It would never do that,” etc. — awful severity of satire this upon “the bloody city!” “He seeks to kill me, does he? Ah! I must be out of Herod’s jurisdiction for that. Go tell him I neither fly from him nor fear him, but Jerusalem is the prophets’ slaughter-house.”'
- Act 7:52 KJV Which of the prophets have not your fathers persecuted? and they have slain them which shewed before of the coming of the Just One; of whom ye have been now the betrayers and murderers:
Prior to his martyrdom Stephen condemned the religious leaders in Jerusalem for killing the prophets.
- Rev 18:24 KJV And in her was found the blood of prophets, and of saints, and of all that were slain upon the earth.
The Scriptures clearly ascertain Jerusalem was Babylon the Great.
The Destruction of the Temple
Identifying the City by the Timeline of its Destruction
- Dan 12:7 KJV And I heard the man clothed in linen, which was upon the waters of the river, when he held up his right hand and his left hand unto heaven, and sware by him that liveth for ever that it shall be for a time, times, and an half; and when he shall have accomplished to scatter the power of the holy people, all these things shall be finished.
Daniel's visions described the 'last days' of Old Covenant Israel, not the end of the world or the end of time. He prophesied that prior to the end of the Old Covenant Age there would be terrible tribulation for a period of 42 months, the outcome being the destruction of Jerusalem and the dispersion of the Jewish nation. This catastrophe took place in AD 70, when ‘the holy city' was 'tread under foot' by the Roman army.
('a time’ = one year; ‘times’ = two years; 'the dividing of time’ = half a year; forty-two months in total)
- Luke 21:24 KJV And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.
Jesus not only endorsed Daniel's prophecy in Luke 21:24, He continued by predicting the timeline of its fulfillment. The disciples asked Jesus ‘when shall these things be?’...Luke 21:6-7, and He told them ‘This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled’...Luke 21:32.
- Rev 11:2 KJV But the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it not; for it is given unto the Gentiles: and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty and two months.
Revelation 11:2 is in harmony with Daniel 12:7 and Luke 21:24. Jesus added the 42 months period to His previous predictions in the Olivet discourse.
Not only have we identified the timeline of Babylon the Great, we have also found Scriptural evidence that confirms the pre-AD 70 date for the writing of the Revelation!
Identifying the City by its Final and Tragic Demise
- Rev 11:18 KJV And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.
- Rev 14:7-8 KJV Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters. 8 And there followed another angel, saying, Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication.
- Joh 5:25 YLT `Verily, verily, I say to you--There cometh an hour, and it now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God, and those having heard shall live;
- 1Jo 2:18 KJV Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.
John's affirmation was consistent in his Gospel, Epistle, and the Revelation. Christ’s return, the resurrection, and the judgement, were about to be consummated at the imminent destruction of Jerusalem.
- Luk 21:20 KJV And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.
'when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies' Luke explained the meaning and timing of 'the abomination of desolation'.
- Mat 24:15-16 KJV When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:) 16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:
‘when ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation’ Jesus warned the disciples to flee Jerusalem. The remnant left the city before it finally fell, and history records they fled to Pella in AD 70.
- Zec 13:9 KJV And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The LORD is my God.
- Rev 18:8 KJV Therefore shall her plagues come in one day, death, and mourning, and famine; and she shall be utterly burned with fire: for strong is the Lord God who judgeth her.
- Rev 18:10 KJV Standing afar off for the fear of her torment, saying, Alas, alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city! for in one hour is thy judgment come.
- Rev 18:19 KJV And they cast dust on their heads, and cried, weeping and wailing, saying, Alas, alas, that great city, wherein were made rich all that had ships in the sea by reason of her costliness! for in one hour is she made desolate.
- Zec 14:1-2 KJV Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee. 2 For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city.
Here we read a solemn yet vivid account of the wrath poured out upon Jerusalem at the hands of the Roman army.
The fulfillment of Zechariah’s prophecy was on the ‘Day of the Lord’ in AD 70.
Revelation 18:8 'Utterly burned with fire - Of what city is this spoken? Rome pagan has never been thus treated; Alaric and Totilas burnt only some parts with fire. Rome papal has not been thus treated; but this is true of Jerusalem, and yet Jerusalem is not generally thought to be intended.’
— Adam Clarke, Commentary on the Bible
The New Jerusalem
Identifying the City by its Antitype the New Jerusalem
John described the most beautiful city in the closing chapters of the Revelation, the New Jerusalem; earthly Jerusalem was it’s foreshadow.
- Rev 21:1-2 KJV And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. 2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
- Rev 21:18 KJV And the building of the wall of it was of jasper: and the city was pure gold, like unto clear glass.
A Quote from Albert Barnes' Notes on the Bible
Revelation 21:2 ‘...On the phrase “new Jerusalem,” see the Gal_4:26 note, and Heb_12:22 note. Here it refers to the residence of the redeemed, the heavenly world, of which Jerusalem was the type and symbol. It is here represented as “coming down from God out of heaven.” This, of course, does not mean that this great city was “literally” to descend upon the earth, and to occupy any one part of the renovated world; but it is a symbolical or figurative representation, designed to show that the abode of the righteous will be splendid and glorious. The idea of a city literally descending from heaven, and being set upon the earth with such proportions - three hundred and seventy miles high Rev_21:16, made of gold, and with single pearls for gates, and single gems for the foundations - is absurd. No man can suppose that this is literally true, and hence this must be regarded as a figurative or emblematic description. It is a representation of the heavenly state under the image of a beautiful city, of which Jerusalem was, in many respects, a natural and striking emblem.’
The destruction of earthly Jerusalem was an outward manifestation of spiritual change; the introduction of spiritual heavenly Jerusalem.
- Joh 4:23-24 KJV But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. 24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
In New Jerusalem, true worship is not restricted to any one place or nation.
- Rev 1:1 KJV The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:
The Revelation was a vision of 'things which must shortly come to pass' and subsequently did.
The annals of history reveal the identity of Mystery Babylon!
Can we now identify the city called ‘Mystery, Babylon the Great’ in the Revelation? I am convinced we have done so, and it is none other than Jerusalem.
What do you think?
© 2011 Alexander Gibb
Israel on April 02, 2020:
The Great Harlot defined by Rev 16;6, !7;6, !8;24 .The Great City with the blood of the prophets ,saints & Jesus witnesses on it . Jesus's witnesses to be murdered in the Great City - JERUSALEM -Rev11;8- outside the ABYSS -Rev11;7 & Ezekiel 8- Synagogue which now exists under the Dome of the Rock in JERUSALEM.Built by the man of perdition whose name /number is 666 in old Hebrew Gematria. The Saints Stephen [first saint] & Paul[greatest saint?] both beaten tortured & condemned by the Sanhedrin JERUSALEM. The Prophets almost ALL beaten & murdered in JERUSALEM especially GOD's Herald Prophet John the Baptist [Jesus cousin] & GOD's MESSIAH SON our LORD JESUS CHRIST. Have NO DOUBT it is JERUSALEM.You can argue with this but it is GOD's WORD .good luck with that!!!!!!!!!!!!! It sits on the BEAST - ISRAEL take it from a Jew [Messianic] who realised His Messiah to remove the curse that is on us-Matt27;25 !!!!!.........Maranatha Shalom .....servant of Jacob
Alexander Gibb (author) from UK on October 15, 2016:
You may find this Hub interesting: 'The Antichrist Was Never Mentioned in the Bible'.
Ron on October 14, 2016:
Babylon is not Mecca, Rome, NYC, USA, Jerusalem, Old Babylon and it is not a Mystery, the Angel said COME and I will show you the Mystery of the Woman and the Beast she rides on. Since the Angel is telling the Mystery in Rev. 17, it looks like we have erred in not understanding the angels explanation. The Beast with 7 Heads is explained, it is 7 Kings, 5 have fallen, one is and one is yet to come. THERE IS THE BEAST Explained. Since this 7 headed Beast in Rev. 13 has the Leopard, Bear and Lion integrated in it, we understand these seven are kingdoms that have conquered or enslaved Israel. So Egypt, Assyria, Babylon, Persia and Greece are the 5, Rome was the one that was in Johns time still intact, and the Anti-Christ and his 10 Kings will be the coming 7th Head. MYSTERY SOLVED/EXPLAINED.
Woman was on waters, which the Angel says is many Nations, Peoples, Tongues and Multitudes. Which means she is all over the world. She is destroyed by the Kings. and she is that Great City that rules over Kings. So lets add this up. She is all over the world, she gets killed of in the end times by the Kings in league with the Beast and the Angel calls her a city that reigns over many Kings. In the vision BABYLON THE GREAT was Written on her forehead !! The Angel is explaining the vision John SAW !! It is Babylon not Rome, the Seven Mountains are Seven Rulers, they are not 7 HILLS. Since Babylon will never again be a city per prophecy we understand this is metaphorical. So we have a metaphorical city that represents the woman, she is all over the world and the last clue is the Kings Destroy her. Who can she be ?
So since she is killed off how can she be metaphorical ? Because she is a Slut Harlot !! She is all over the world !! Hmmmmm what could that be ? Only ONE THING, she is False Religion.
False Religion is no doubt all over the world, False Religion is a Harlot prostitute, False Religion will be Destroyed by the Anti-Christ and his Kings because they will demand the Beast be worshiped as GOD !! There will be no room for Islam, Buddhism, or any Religion, they will also come after Christians and the Jews will have to Flee Judea, but the Harlot is JUDGED just like Rev. 17:1 says, she is destroyed.
This can't be the Babylon of Rev. 18 because the Kings cry and lament her destruction....What gives ? Well the Babylon of Rev. 18 is the False Gov. System, the Last Head of the Seven Headed Beast. God destroys her with Plagues, Grasses and Tress burn, the Devils are loosed out of the Pit (Apollyon and his horde of Demons)and the earth/Babylon is become a habitation of devils.
There is NO MYSTERY......The Angel explains the Mystery.
Seven Headed Beast is Seven Governments which come against Israel.
Woman is False Religion which is a Harlot before God and has murdered the Saints and Martyrs of Jesus.
Alexander Gibb (author) from UK on September 20, 2016:
I have provided a comprehensive list of explanations.
I wrote a Hub entitled 'The Antichrist Was Never Mentioned in the Bible', which may interest you regarding the Kings.
Robert on September 20, 2016:
in the book of revelation all information
if Jerusalem is Babylon - present all other explanations
ten kings destroyers of Babylon -who are they
and after destruction of Babylon who is the eight beast which is from seven ?
Alexander Gibb (author) from UK on September 20, 2016:
Could you provide more information?
Robert on September 20, 2016:
have you found the ten kings- destroyers of Babylon ?
and the eight beast ?
Alexander Gibb (author) from UK on October 09, 2015:
My Hub 'Why did Jesus Never Mention the Millennium Reign?' may be of interest.
Alexander Gibb (author) from UK on October 09, 2015:
Eric Parry on October 08, 2015:
Do you think that Christ and the saints will rule on the earth with a rod of iron for 1000 years?
Alexander Gibb (author) from UK on October 08, 2015:
In my opinion, Babylon will not be restored in the future.
Quote: 'His interpretation of Rev 17 cannot be correct because Babylon participates in the sack of Jerusalem.'
You quote Ezekiel in support of your claim that Babylon would 'sack' Jerusalem in the future.
Ezekiel prophesied the impending Babylonian destruction of Jerusalem, which was fulfilled several years later in 586 BC.
Quote: 'The image in the dream contained four kingdoms, the first of which was Babylon. All these kingdoms have to be in existence when they are shattered by the stone – including Babylon.'
There is nothing in Scripture to suggest that these four empires must be in existence at the same time in the future. History records the successive rise and fall of each kingdom, exactly as Daniel predicted.
Quote: ‘Now we know that God has not yet broken them up and established His kingdom so the fulfilment is still in the future.’
The Kingdom of God was fully established during the lifetime of the 1st century Church, exactly as Jesus said.
Mat 21:43 KJV Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.
The kingdom of God is spiritual not material, and arrived when the Old Covenant passed away in AD 70 with the establishment of the New Covenant.
Quote: 'This poses a problem. Babylon today is little more than an archaeological dig. So to be present in the future it must be rebuilt and become prosperous.'
It certainly is a problem! According to the Scriptures, all prophecy concerning Babylon was fulfilled; hence the reason it is an archaeological dig 2000+ years later.
Isa 13:20-22 KJV It shall never be inhabited, neither shall it be dwelt in from generation to generation: neither shall the Arabian pitch tent there; neither shall the shepherds make their fold there. 21 But wild beasts of the desert shall lie there; and their houses shall be full of doleful creatures; and owls shall dwell there, and satyrs shall dance there. 22 And the wild beasts of the islands shall cry in their desolate houses, and dragons in their pleasant palaces: and her time is near to come, and her days shall not be prolonged.
It is contrary to the Word of God that Babylon will be restored in the future.
Alexander Gibb (author) from UK on October 07, 2015:
Thank you for taking the time and commenting on my Hub.
Eric Parry on October 05, 2015:
Babylon in Prophecy
It is always a good idea to examine all the prophecies on a particular subject before jumping to conclusions as the author of this article has done. His interpretation of Rev 17 cannot be correct because Babylon participates in the sack of Jerusalem.
Eze 23:22 Therefore, O Aholibah, thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will raise up thy lovers against thee, from whom thy mind is alienated, and I will bring them against thee on every side;
Eze 23:23 The Babylonians, and all the Chaldeans, Pekod, and Shoa, and Koa, and all the Assyrians with them: all of them desirable young men, captains and rulers, great lords and renowned, all of them riding upon horses.
Consider the interpretation of Nebuchadnezzar’s dream.
Dan 2:44 And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever.
Dan 2:45 Forasmuch as thou sawest that the stone was cut out of the mountain without hands, and that it brake in pieces the iron, the brass, the clay, the silver, and the gold; the great God hath made known to the king what shall come to pass hereafter: and the dream is certain, and the interpretation thereof sure.
The image in the dream contained four kingdoms, the first of which was Babylon. All these kingdoms have to be in existence when they are shattered by the stone – including Babylon.
Now we know that God has not yet broken them up and established His kingdom so the fulfilment is still in the future.
This poses a problem. Babylon today is little more than an archaeological dig. So to be present in the future it must be rebuilt and become prosperous.
Let’s see what the Bible has to say about Babylon.
The Old Testament prophecies regarding the destruction of Babylon require that the Medes will carry out this mission.
Isa_13:17 Behold, I will stir up the Medes against them, which shall not regard silver; and as for gold, they shall not delight in it.
Jer_51:11 Make bright the arrows; gather the shields: the LORD hath raised up the spirit of the kings of the Medes: for his device is against Babylon, to destroy it; because it is the vengeance of the LORD, the vengeance of his temple.
Jer_51:28 Prepare against her the nations with the kings of the Medes, the captains thereof, and all the rulers thereof, and all the land of his dominion.
But, the Medes have never yet destroyed Babylon so these prophecies will still have to be fulfilled in the future. When Babylon was captured by Darius in the past the city was taken almost without a fight and Babylon went on to become the richest province in the Medo-Persian Empire. So even though Babylon is at present a heap of ruins in the wilderness it still has a role to play in the future.
It is evident that the prophecies in Jer 50 and 51 refer to the future because:
Jer 50:20 In those days, and in that time, saith the LORD, the iniquity of Israel shall be sought for, and there shall be none; and the sins of Judah, and they shall not be found: for I will pardon them whom I reserve.
The sins of Judah and Israel have not yet been forgiven so these chapters refer to future events.
The nations of Israel and her neighbours are to serve the king of Babylon for 70 years (Jer 25:11) but so far they have only served for 66.5. The last 3.5 years of their captivity was under the Medes and Persians. So there is another 3.5 years of servitude under Babylon yet to be fulfilled and then the king of Babylon and his nation will be punished (verse 12). This 3.5 corresponds with the length of the forty-two months of the power of the beast in Rev 13:5.
Jeremiah is writing about a literal Babylon because he gave these words to Seraiah who was about to go to that literal city with Zedekiah.
Two women are described in Rev 17.
1. The great whore who sits on many waters.
2. The woman who rides the beast.
The great whore is Jerusalem, the woman riding the beast has her name on her forehead “Mystery, Babylon the great”.
Most expositors think that these two women are one. They are wrong. They don’t believe the words of the Bible. This has been foretold.
Hab 1:5 Behold ye among the heathen, and regard, and wonder marvellously: for I will work a work in your days, which ye will not believe, though it be told you.
Hab 1:6 For, lo, I raise up the Chaldeans, that bitter and hasty nation, which shall march through the breadth of the land, to possess the dwellingplaces that are not theirs.
Babylon is situated in the land of the Chaldeans.
Jer 50:8 Remove out of the midst of Babylon, and go forth out of the land of the Chaldeans, and be as the he goats before the flocks.
The woman riding the beast is Babylon, that great city which rules over the kings of the earth.
The ten kings which give power to the beast are the kings of the earth. They will war against the Lamb and the Lamb will overcome them (Rev 17:14, Rev 19:19).
The ten kings have no kingdom as yet but will be given power as kings over the ten areas listed in Psalm 83.
Psa 83:1-8 A Song or Psalm of Asaph. Keep not thou silence, O God: hold not thy peace, and be not still, O God. For, lo, thine enemies make a tumult: and they that hate thee have lifted up the head. They have taken crafty counsel against thy people, and consulted against thy hidden ones. They have said, Come, and let us cut them off from being a nation; that the name of Israel may be no more in remembrance. For they have consulted together with one consent: they are confederate against thee: The tabernacles of Edom, and the Ishmaelites; of Moab, and the Hagarenes; Gebal, and Ammon, and Amalek; the Philistines with the inhabitants of Tyre; Assur also is joined with them: they have holpen the children of Lot. Selah.
These are the Arab nations surrounding Israel and will be ruled by Babylon.
The ten horns and the beast will attack the great whore (Jerusalem) and carry half the population off into captivity in Babylon (Zec 14:2).
Luk 21:22 For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.
Luk 21:23 But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people.
Luk 21:24 And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.
All things that are written have not yet been fulfilled.
The days of vengeance have not yet arrived.
The times of the Gentiles are the 3.5 years of the power of the beast.
Zec 5:7 And, behold, there was lifted up a talent of lead: and this is a woman that sitteth in the midst of the ephah.
Zec 5:8 And he said, This is wickedness. And he cast it into the midst of the ephah; and he cast the weight of lead upon the mouth thereof.
Zec 5:9 Then lifted I up mine eyes, and looked, and, behold, there came out two women, and the wind was in their wings; for they had wings like the wings of a stork: and they lifted up the ephah between the earth and the heaven.
Zec 5:10 Then said I to the angel that talked with me, Whither do these bear the ephah?
Zec 5:11 And he said unto me, To build it an house in the land of Shinar: and it shall be established, and set there upon her own base.
Rev 12:14 And to the woman were given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness, into her place, where she is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time, from the face of the serpent.
Babylon resides in the wilderness.
The Jews from Jerusalem will remain in captivity in Babylon for 3.5 years and then urged to leave that city before she is destroyed by the Medes.
Jer 51:6 Flee out of the midst of Babylon, and deliver every man his soul: be not cut off in her iniquity; for this is the time of the LORD'S vengeance; he will render unto her a recompence.
Jer 51:7 Babylon hath been a golden cup in the LORD'S hand, that made all the earth drunken: the nations have drunken of her wine; theref
Alexander Gibb (author) from UK on August 22, 2014:
Thank you for your comment. I am not quite sure which pictures you mean, please let me know?
Patty Florence from Illinois on August 21, 2014:
I'm glad that Revelation' is not so terribly frightening today as it once was when I first read the Scriptures. I am curious about the armies surrounding Jerusalem because I noticed soldiers who weren't militant looking but caring and peaceful (pictures on HPs). It's good to know that after a time, two times, and a half time, that we can exist among each other in peace without violence or war. Thank you Lord!
Alexander Gibb (author) from UK on January 22, 2014:
Many thanks for another amazing comment!
Morry on January 22, 2014:
All the Titles and Properties of Revelation's Harlot apply to Mosaic Jerusalem: the Holy city, Sodom, the Harlot, where our Lord was Crucified, the Great city, the city which Heard the Lord’s voice, the city which shed ALL the blood of the prophets and pierced the Son of God in that C.1st generation. Here are some examples.
TITLE - the 'Holy City'. Rev 11:2 -8 - JERUSALEM
Neh 11:1 Jerusalem the HOLY CITY
Neh 11:18 All levites in the HOLY CITY 284
Is 48:2 Israel call themselves after the HOLY CITY
Is 52:1 O Jerusalem the HOLY CITY
Dan 9:24 70 weeks decreed for the HOLY CITY
Mtt 4:5 Devil took Him to temple in HOLY CITY
Mtt 27:53 After resurrection they entered HOLY CITY
Rev 11:2 Tread underfoot the HOLY CITY 42 months
Rev 21:2 HOLY CITY new Jerusalem
Rev 22:19 Tree of life in HOLY CITY.
TITLE - Immorality - 'Sodom'. Rev 11:8 - JERUSALEM
Is 1:10 Hear Zion, you rulers of SODOM, GOMORRAH
Is 3:9 Jerusalem displays sin as SODOM
Jer 23:14 Jerusalem has become to me like SODOM
Lam 4:6 Zion's sin greater than SODOM
TITLE – 'Harlot'. Rev 17:5 - JERUSALEM
Is 1:21 The faithful city become a HARLOT
Jer 2:20 Israel as a HARLOT
Jer 3:1 I divorced faithless Israel for ADULTERIES
Jer 3:8-9 Judah HARLOT also
Ezek 16:15 Jerusalem played the HARLOT
Ezek 16:16 Played the HARLOT
Ezek 16:17 Jerusalem played the HARLOT
Ezek 16:20 Your HARLOTRIES not small matter
Ezek 16:22 Abomination and HARLOTRIES
Ezek 16:25 Multiplied your HARLOTRIES
Ezek 16:26 Played HARLOT with Egyptians
Ezek 16:26 Multiplied HARLOTRY
Ezek 16:28 Played HARLOT with Assyria HARLOT
Ezek 16:29 Multiplied HARLOTRIES
Ezek 16:30 Actions of bold faced HARLOT
Ezek 16:32 You ADULTRESS WIFE
Ezek 16:33 Gifts from men for your HARLOTRY
Ezek 16:34 Your HARLOTRIES
Ezek 16:35 Therefore hear O HARLOT
Ezek 16:36 Idols and HARLOTRY
Ezek 16:41 I will stop you from playing HARLOT
Ezek 16:46-49 Like SODOM your sister
Ezek 23:3 Israel played the HARLOT in Egypt
Ezek 23:4 Samaria and Jerusalem HARLOTS
Ezek 23: 5 Jerusalem played HARLOT with Assyrians
Ezek 23:7 Bestowed HARLOTRIES on Assyria
Ezek 23:8 HARLOTRIES from Egypt
Ezek 23:11 Jerusalem multiplied HARLOTRIES
Ezek 23:14 Multiplied HARLOTRIES
Ezek 23:18 Uncovered HARLOTRIES
Ezek 23:19 Played HARLOT IN Egypt
Ezek 23:27 HARLOTRY brought from Egypt
Ezek 23:29 Uncovered your HARLOTRY
Ezek 23:30 Played the HARLOT
Ezek 23:37 Samaria and Jerusalem committed ADULTERY
Ezek 23:44 Samaria and Jerusalem HARLOTS
Ezek 23:45 I will judge, they are BLOODY ADULTERESSES
Hos 1:2 Take HARLOT-land committed HARLOTRY
Hos 3:1 Sons of Israel become as ADULTERESS
Hos 3:3 You shall not play HARLOT
Hos 4:10 Israel will play HARLOT
Hos 4:12 My people committed HARLOTRY
Hos 4:12 Played the HARLOT
Hos 4:13 Daughter and brides play HARLOT
Hos 4:14 Daughters play HARLOT
Hos 4:14 Daughters and men go with HARLOTS
Hos 4:15 Though Israel play HARLOT
Hos 4:18 Israel plays HARLOT
Hos 5:3 Ephraim played HARLOT
Hos 6:10 Ephraim's HARLOTRY
Hos 9:1 Israel loved Ephraim played HARLOTS paid
Micah 1:1,7 Samaria and Jerusalem collect HARLOTS pay
Mtt 12:39 This is an ADULTEROUS generation
Mk 8:38 In this wicked and ADULTEROUS generation
PROPERTY - Location - where our was Lord crucified. Rev 11:8 - JERUSALEM
Mtt 27:33 Jesus brought to Golgotha and CRUCIFIED
Mk 15:22 brought to Golgotha and CRUCIFIED
Rev 11:8 Great city WHERE OUR LORD CRUCIFIED
PPROPERTY -: Demographic - 'Great' city. Rev 11:8 - JERUSALEM
Jonah 4:11 Nineveh was a 'Great city'. Pop.120,000 persons.
Tacitus Jerusalem (66-73AD) Est. Pop. 600,000
Josephus Jerusalem (66-70AD) - Est. Pop. 1,000,000 +
PROPERTY- Marital Status - former Bride City. Rev 18:23- JERUSALEM
Jer 3:8 I DIVORCED faithless Israel for ADULTERY
Jer 16:9 VOICE OF BRIDEGROOM eliminated from Israel
Rev 18:23 Voice of BRIDEGROOM HEARD no longer.
PROPERTY – Physical- 'Harlot HEARD bridegroom's voice'. Rev 18:23 - JERUSALEM
Mtt 9:15 Jesus/BRIDEGROOM voice HEARD IN Israel
Mtt 21:12 JESUS' VOICE HEARD IN Jerusalem temple bridegroom
Mtt 23:37 “O JERUSALEM who kills the prophets...”
Jn 3:29 [John] Friend of the BRIDEGROOM HEARD Him
PROPERTY - Divorced by Bridegroom : Rev 18:23 -JERUSALEM
Jer 3:8 God BRIDEGROOM of faithless Israel
Jer 3:8 I DIVORCED faithless Israel for ADULTERY
Jer 31:32 Israel broke covenant tho I was a HUSBAND
Is 62:5 As BRIDEGROOM rejoices, so I you Jerusalem
Mtt 9:15 Jesus BRIDEGROOM.
PROPERTY- ALL BLOOD of slain . Rev 18:24 – JERUSALEM (Exclusively)
Mtt 23:35-36 ALL RIGHTEOUS BLOOD from Abel on this generation
Mtt 27:25 His BLOOD ON US and our children
Lk 11:50 BLOOD of ALL PROPHETS on this generation
Lk 13:34 O JERUSALEM who KILLS PROPHETS
Acts 7:60 Stephen SLAIN by Jerusalem
Rev 18:24 BLOOD of ALL SLAIN found in harlot
Rev 19:2 He has avenged BLOOD of servants on harlot . #
Alexander Gibb (author) from UK on March 01, 2013:
Thank you for reading my Hub and for your comment.
5 4 on February 28, 2013:
During the past year I have started coming to this conclussion. Very nice information.
Alexander Gibb (author) from UK on March 20, 2012:
Thank you for reading and commenting on my Hub.
CJ Sledgehammer on March 20, 2012:
Bravo, my friend, Bravo!!!
A scholarly triumph and must read for any serious Christian or Bible student.
Indeed, I, too, believe Jerusalem fits the bill.
Well done, Searchinsany, thank you.
God's speed to a good friend - C.J. Sledgehammer
P.S. Voted up, awesome, interesting, beautiful, and useful.
Alexander Gibb (author) from UK on March 18, 2012:
Thank you for reading and commenting on my Hub.
James on March 18, 2012:
"The idea of a city literally descending from heaven, and being set upon the earth with such proportions - three hundred and seventy miles high Rev_21:16, made of gold, and with single pearls for gates, and single gems for the foundations - is absurd. No man can suppose that this is literally true, and hence this must be regarded as a figurative or emblematic description."
If faith of a mustard seed can 'move mountains', then I have no problem believing this is definitely possible by the One who created all things.
Alexander Gibb (author) from UK on March 09, 2011:
Thank you, please visit again.
William Kovacic from Pleasant Gap, PA on March 08, 2011:
Very thought provoking. I've bookmarked this one for future study. Thanks for sharing.
Alexander Gibb (author) from UK on March 07, 2011:
Wesman Todd Shaw
Thank you for your comment, visit my Hubs anytime.
Wesman Todd Shaw from Kaufman, Texas on March 07, 2011: