A retired pharmaceutical and industrial chemist, author and historian specialising in military events.
Airmen, sailors and to a certain extent British soldiers are very superstitious by nature, anyone who faces death as an occupation hazard will take every opportunity to protect themselves. With aircrew perhaps it is the virtual solitude and uncertainty of their high risk fighting existence which makes them feel vulnerable or the very high death toll during wartime. Between 1939 and 1945 approx. 39718 pilots, (the BBC put the total as high as 70000) air and ground crew died.
The following are descriptions of events that happened or was said to have occurred between the relatively short period of vicious aerial combat and now, but at the very least were documented and/or reported.
Before you start reading I should point out that some of these stories are fairly well known although will vary in detail, others rely on a person’s memory which may be affected by supernatural experiences. However, they are all real to the person involved but where possible I have left out any obvious crank or malicious tales.
Addington - Croydon
In just one week commencing 25th June 1944 125 V1 Flying Bombs fell in this area killing 357 people, mostly innocent civilians.
Dying after his aircraft crashed nearby, this World War 2 German pilot is still occasionally seen walking around this former village still dressed in his Luftwaffe flying kit.
RAF Ansty - Coventry
This was opened in 1936 as a training station.
This site is now partially occupied by Rolls Royce currently building jet engines for the Eurofighter Typhoon
In 1996 around 1900hrs a figure wearing a Second World War pilot's flying suit walked past one witness as he stood by a photocopier. The figure then passed through a pair of closed doors leading outside and disappeared in a field. The pilot is rumoured to be a Polish airman who hanged himself.
Barnoldswick - Area near Rolls Royce's Bankfield factory and Craven
In January 2004 around thirty different witnesses claimed to have seen a grey coloured four engine aircraft resembling a Lancaster Bomber moving silently through the sky. The accounts were virtually all from different people and were recorded during the same month.
RAF Bassingbourn Cambridgeshire
Built in 1937/8 this former RAF Wellington bomber base was transferred to 8th U.S.A.A.F. Command in October 1942 and the 322nd, 323rd, 324th and 401st Bomb Squadrons of the 91st Bombardment Group were based here until October 1945.
In 1948/9 the airfield took part in the Berlin Airlift using RAF Avro York, Avro Lancaster and Douglas Dakotas.
In February 1952, RAF Bassingbourn received its first allocation of English Electric Canberra bombers and on 29th August 1969, the station was passed to the British Army as Bassingbourn Barracks.
Over the period 1960s to 2004 there were various reports of a sighting of phantom USAAF aircrew of the 1960s era.
More recently, a man who lived on the site of the former airfield reported seeing a pair of legs in dress uniform which manifested in his home, and the sounds of a B17 aircraft starting up.
RAF Bentwaters and RAF Woodbridge - Suffolk
In 1980 “The Rendlesham Forest Incident” was recorded. These two RAF bases were leased to the USAAF at the time and security was clamped down tightly on the details. Released in 2002 it seems several UFO incidents, including multiple-witness sightings by military personnel, ground traces, and radioactive anomalies were reported from Rendlesham forest. For more information look at http://www.therendleshamforestincident.com/Home.html also http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-33447592
It is well known that the RAF and USAAF have a habit of trying to tamper with the very fabric of time; perhaps this is an occasion when it came back and bit them.
The official view is that this is/was an elaborate hoax but this is the standard statement made about anything the military don’t want you to know about.
Bexley - A2 London-bound between Heath turn-off and Black Prince turn-off
Several witnesses were said to have seen a couple of airmen standing on the hard shoulder of the A2. One wore a leather flying helmet while the other appeared to have a medal or piece of metal near his throat. A local tale says that during the last war a Heinkel bomber crashed nearby, killing the crew who could not bail out in time, and it has been speculated that the figures were manifestations of the crew of this aircraft.
RAF Biggin Hill - Kent
The station was originally opened in February 1917 as a pioneering radio and instrument research station and an RFC fighter airfield. Hangars, workshops, mess halls and married quarters were constructed during the late thirties and by 1938, with the increase in hostilities in Europe its buildings were camouflaged and air raid shelters constructed. The first Hurricane’s arrived for 32 and 79 Squadrons and by 3rd Sept 1939 all civilian personnel were ordered away from Biggin Hill.
During the Second World War and the Battle of Britain period the airfield was home to many fighter squadrons of various nationalities and was constantly bombing by the Luftwaffe. So intense were the attacks that rumour has it for a period the operations room was moved to a local shop in order to carry out the important task of directing the squadrons.
Each year on the 19th January a spitfire has been observed flying overhead, and on occasions sometimes heard. This phantom Spitfire haunts the skies of Biggin Hill regularly during its favourite month and performs a victory roll before completely disappearing into the ether.
Additionally airmen dressed in WW2 style trench coats have been reported in the village; where they politely stop people and ask directions before disappearing.
RAF Binbrooke Lincolnshire
This former RAF base was built in 1939 and closed in the early 1990s.
Opened as a RAF bomber base operating Wellingtons and Fairy Battles.
In 1943 became home to No. 460 Squadron, Royal Australian Air Force, flying Avro Lancasters, however tragically they suffered an appalling 1,018 Australian combat deaths over the remaining period of the war.
After the war the airfield operated Meteor jets, Javelin and English Electric Canberra’s. Later it became a notable base for the iconic English Electric Lightnings.
An Australian Sergeant Sinclair was in charge of loading bombs onto the aircraft here during the Second World War; but made a mistake caused the Lancaster bomber to explode on take-off, killing Sinclair while he was trying to flag the aircraft down to alert them to the error. The nickname Clubfoot was maybe a bit too unkind and he was seen for years after his death walking around on the perimeter road. For a short while his ghost was seen on the actual runway, arms waving wildly in the air.
On 8th September 1970, Captain William Schaffner, an American exchange pilot flying BAC Lightnings with 5 Squadron, took off from Binbrook in the aircraft XS894 at 2206hrs, armed with two Red Top air-to-air missiles. The intention was for the aircraft to intercept a UFO showing on radar. Contact between the two was made and the radar blips merged and actually stopped, they then separated again and the UFO moved away at a speed estimated at 20,400mph. Contact was made momentarily with the Lightning pilot but the plane ditched over the North Sea. Three weeks later it was located on the sea bed with the canopy closed but no pilot or trace of a body and the ejector seat intact.
RAF Bircham Newton Norfolk
This former RAF base was built in 1917 and closed in 1966
The site was first used during the Great War and received the largest British bomber of the time, the Handley Page V/1500. Although planned to bomb Berlin in retaliation for the Zeppelin attacks it was never used.
In 1938 it re-opened again and operated as part of Coastal Command.
Many ghosts are said to exist here, mostly originating during the Second World War One instance during the war, a car full of merry pilots crashed into a hanger, killing the driver and all the passengers; the scene now re-occurs at irregular periods.
Another group of ghosts were called into being when a bomber that crashed on the landing strip lost three of its crew. The spectral crew now return to play their favourite racquet game! The sound of a squash ball echoing in the deserted building, and that of soft footfalls are more common than seeing the airmen, although one man in officer's clothing has been seen a few times.
Using recorders left in empty buildings the sounds of an active airfield, such as voices, engines and the clank of machinery are heard. The sounds of an unseen phantom aircraft flying overhead has also been heard.
RAF Bitteswell - Leicestershire,
Built as a training airfield in 1940 and finally closed in December 1987.
They flew Avro Anson, Fairey Battle and the Vickers Wellington in addition to the Douglas Dakota later in the war.
Between 1943 and March 1983 the airfield was used by a number of aircraft manufacturers including Armstrong Whitworth Aircraft (AWA), Whitworth Gloster, Hawker Siddeley and British Aerospace for final assembly, flight testing and overhauls of many of the company’s aircraft.
A horrific accident occurred to Hugh Reeves who was a British inventor and engineer. He was involved in a project to reduce noise in jet engines. While carrying out tests at RAF Bitteswell on a Hawker Hunter Mark V fitted with a Sapphire engine, he was suddenly sucked into the intake of the silencer and was instantly killed.
An ASDA distribution warehouse was constructed at the end of the runway at Bitteswell. It is reported that in the toilets is a permanent stain on the floor in the shape of a man which cannot be removed and an airman in period flying kit has been repeatedly seen in there.
RAF Bletchley Park - Milton Keynes
This was not an operational flying airbase but rather the famous intelligence and code breaking unit.
Throughout the 1950s, patients were shocked by a ghostly woman in a green apron who pushed a trolley through the sick quarters, then disappeared through a closed door.
In 2008, during a visit to Bletchley Park, four visitors sitting in a car heard a disembodied voice giving instructions how to fill in log sheets.
Bonby - North Lincolnshire - Skies over the area
On 24th August 2015 about 1900hrs a large aircraft was seen moved silently over the tree tops, so low that the witness thought it would land or crash into a field. It was later identified by the witness as an Avro Lancaster.
Bonsall - Derbyshire - Over village
A UFO was sighted looking like a biscuit shape with a bite out of one side and emitting bright rotating lights. It gained a lot of publicity both here and USA.
A video clip is available on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6g20wFFSOI
In the mid-1980s in one of the narrow country lanes in this tiny village, at treetop height, a cruise missile was spotted heading North-East. It was approximately 20ft long, moving fairly slowly and silently, with no visible exhaust, painted white with no markings other than some black serial numbers.
It was only visible for a few seconds and disappeared over the cottage roofs.
There were no reports in the media.
RAF Boscombe Down Wiltshire
Built in 1930 as an RAF test station and in 1992 became Aircraft and Armament Evaluation Establishment and renamed MoD Boscombe Down. One of its most secretive operations was the RAF involvement with “Black Projects” with the Americans. More information is available on this web site:
One of the supernatural happenings was in 1947 when a pilot was killed when his experimental new aircraft crashed into the sea. He was heard walking about his hut at night, his wet footfalls slopping on the floor.
RAF Bottesford Leicestershire/Lincolnshire.(USAAF Station AAF-481)
Opened in 1942, for use by both the RAF and USAAF. During the war it was used primarily as a troop carrier airfield using Douglas C-47/C-53 Skytrain groups for paratroopers and as a bomber airfield. A new Australian manned squadron, No. 467 Squadron RAAF, arrived in November 1942 commencing operations on the night of 2/3 January 1943
An American troop carrier group arrived in November 1943 and was known as USAAF Station AAF-481
It reverted to RAF group bomber command in July 1944 and it was sold off in 1948.
There are reports of droning aero engines over this former RAF base. It is thought that it is associated with the unsuccessful unreliable twin Vulture engine Manchester bomber which suffered a high attrition rate causing this aircraft to be later replaced with Avro Lancasters.
A phantom light source has also been reported moving in the old control tower, and a pilot in full kit was seen once moving about the airfield.
A visitor to the site heard what he first thought was an old Fordson aircraft tractor ticking over, though the sound later changed to the sound of an aircraft carrying out pre-flight checks. Nothing could be seen.
RAF Brawdy RNAS Brawdy HMS Goldcrest Haverford west - Pembrokeshire
Opened on 2nd February 1944 as a satellite station for the nearby RAF St. David's, to act as a heavy bomber base. On 1st January 1946 it became a Royal Navy station being handed back to the RAF in February 1974. In 1992 it was transferred to the army and renamed Cawdor Barracks, housing the Royal Signals.
A family living in a semidetached house in the married quarters were kept awake for several nights by loud knocking sounds coming from their neighbour's home. One night the sounds were incredibly loud, so the following morning they went next door to complain, to find their neighbour only just arriving home after spending the evening away. Upon investigation, it was discovered that all the furnishings in the house had been moved around, though no money or credit cards were stolen. The RAF took the case so seriously they called in a bomb squad to ensure that an explosive device hadn't been planted by the mysterious intruder.
Burn - Wheatsheaf public house Selby North Yorkshire
This pub is said to be the home of a phantom airman, most likely to be seen on the fourth Sunday of Lent or Mother’s Day. When he appears, he is wearing a grey greatcoat and a forage cap. This suggests he was not commissioned; otherwise he would be wearing a round peaked cap.
RNAS Burscough airfield (HMS Ringtail) Lancashire
Built in 1942, with narrow runways, to train pilots in the techniques of landing on aircraft carriers using primarily Seafires, Vought Corsairs, Fairey Barracudas, Curtiss Hellcats, Wildcats, Grumman Avengers, and Curtiss Helldivers. It finally closed for flying in May 1946.
The hangers and building became used for civilian purposes and most of the land was turned to agricultural use.
Farmers reported that they would occasionally be approached by a young man smoking a pipe. This figure would wish them a good evening before vanishing. It was said that this ghost was once a pilot who worked here, though no one can be quite sure of his true past.
RAF Burtonwood - Warrington Cheshire (USAAF station 590).
Opened on 1st January 1940 as a servicing and storage centre for modifying British aircraft. The facility was transferred to the United States Army Air Forces in June 1942 to become a servicing centre for the United States Eighth, Ninth, Twelfth and Fifteenth Air Forces aircraft. It was finally closed in June 1994 after the 1991 Gulf War.
A Second World War airman has been seen standing at the airfield but with no head - it is thought that he was decapitated as he tried to bail out prior to crash landing.
While in a pub a serviceman had reported that while he was at the gent’s stalls, he sensed somebody was behind him, turned round to see a large guy in full World War II flying gear silently glide past. When he came back into the bar he said, “Ok where is he?" they asked who, "the comedian dressed in flying gear ", and they laughed, but both sides quickly realised that this was no joke. All windows had security grilles on them, and the double locked key for the rear entrance was in the bar. Nobody who was in the toilets could exit anywhere except through the bar.
Two airmen in a RAF black Austin-Morris 1800 drove into one of the hangers nearest to Burtonwood Road, the doors had been left partly open and the hanger was deserted, except for a nest of kestrels high up in the metal girders. They got out looking at the birds and discussing the future demolition of the hanger. Suddenly there was a very loud crack and the windscreen of the car literally blew out as if somebody had pushed it out from inside and at the same time hit it with a heavy hammer. It was of course safety glass but it was shattered and only partly holding together. The event could not be explained but the spot where the car was parked, was apparently used to store coffins of dead American airmen for a few hours prior to them being flown back to the USA
In the 1980´s a man driving down Burtonwood road in the early hours of the morning claims to have been flagged down by a soldier near to what is the large roundabout at the north end. His vivid description matched that of a USAAF MP right down to the white spats. The car slowed down and then suddenly the figure vanished.
Buxton - Skies above Harpur Hill area
In 1973/1974 a phantom helicopter type aircraft was reported to the authorities flying around the area at night several times over a two year period. Press and police were unable to discover who or what was behind the mysterious craft.
RAF Cambridge/Marshall Airport/ (Teversham)
Built in 1920 as RAF Flying Training Command and still active as a civilian airport.
A number of buildings on this site have reports of phantom pilots in their flying gear or RAF uniforms. Sounds of footsteps in empty areas are not uncommon, and there is also a story of ghostly singing.
Cannock - Skies over private area
Around 2200hrs in 2000 a man at home heard the sound of an old fashioned aircraft approaching. The sound grew in volume until it was finally deafening and items within the house began to shake. The man went out to investigate, and found other people outside trying to spot the aircraft. Despite the weather being clear, no one could see the aircraft, although one elderly ex RAF man was convinced that the sound was of a Wellington bomber.
RAF Castle Donington - Leicestershire now currently Nottingham East Midlands Airport HQ
It opened as a RFC airfield in 1916 then becoming an RAF station satellite to nearby RAF Wymeswold in 1943 flying Wellingtons and was finally decommissioned in 1946. It opened as a passenger airport in April 1965.
It was once said that when the head of the Castle Donington household hears the sounds of a phantom coach but is unable to see it, a member of the family will die within a year. The hall is also reported to be haunted by a hand, possibly belonging to Lady Catherine Hungerford.
RAF Church Broughton -Fradley Derbyshire.
Built in 1939 and closed in 1958. this was a large aircraft Maintenance Unit. Here, aircraft were received from manufacture, prepared for service, stored, and sometimes packed for dispatch to overseas centres of operation. More than 200 RAF personnel lost their lives as a result of service at Fradley, in battle abroad, and in local crashes,
This RAF station was in a little village by the name of Heathtop. During the late 1970s a bomber thought to be of Second World War vintage has been observed moving silently through the skies in this area.
There was the gruesome spectre of a headless airman in WWII uniform that had staggered blindly into the road, to be picked out in the headlights of a lorry.
There was a similar spectacle of a young airman, who was a night guard for the base and accompanied by two powerful guard dogs. He saw lights in one of the hangars and approached the building. At about 300ft, both dogs stopped and refused to move further. The guard continued, and then claimed he saw a figure, dressed in WW2 flying clothes, but apparently headless.”
A possible explanation is that two airmen separately walked into the propellers of an aircraft warming up.
Cirencester - Queen Anne's Column, in the park
In June 1999 standing against the monument, this young WW2 USAAF Pilot has been known to talk to members of the public, only to vanish after his first sentence.
Clacton-on-Sea - Disused sandpit and spinney
In 1953 two children saw three pale faced pilots who are believed to be German. The sandpit was a crash site for a Messerschmitt 110 shot down during World War 2. The area is now currently a car park for a nearby factory.
RAF Coleby Grange Lincolnshire
Opened in 1939 and operated as a fighter and night fighter airfield during World War II, it was occupied at various times by UK, US, Canadian and Polish fighter squadrons
Reopened in 1959 as an RAF Bomber Command Intermediate Range Ballistic Missile (IRBM) launch facility and placed on a high DEFCON 2 launch alert during the Cuban Missile Crisis, the station was finally closed and decommissioned in 1963.
On 20th October 2007 while out walking with her husband, this witness briefly spotted the flashing image of a person. The witness said the area was completely void of birds, insects or other form of wildlife.
RAF Cosford Shropshire.
It opened in 1938 as a school of technical training
During the Second World War, No 12 Ferry Pool of the Air Transport Auxiliary (ATA) was formed at Cosford, which involved delivering Spitfires from the base and returning with damaged bombers or fighters for No 9 Maintenance Unit. These ferrying flights were often crewed by ATA women pilots and Amy Johnson came to Cosford on more than one occasion.
There is also the Aerospace Museum at the site, which is a branch of the Royal Air Force Museum. Amongst the large collection of military aircraft is a unique collection of research and development aircraft, including one of two existing examples of the TSR2 and one each of the nuclear V bombers.
The last remaining Avro Lincoln Bomber is situated here and is said to be haunted by the manifestation of a pilot seen in the cockpit. A tape recorder was intentionally left on board overnight and in the morning was found to have picked up the sounds of a busy airport, even though the hanger was closed and the area was completely empty.
At some time during December 1963 a UFO of unknown type was said to have landed here. This UFO report was based on a story from two young RAF people returning late from a leave pass. As time passed, the story grew, and it eventually became that an UFO had touched down near a hanger on the base, and was secretly recovered and removed for reverse engineering.
An electrician was working fifteen feet above the ground when he suddenly fell. He remembers thinking "this is it" because he had already injured his spine in a similar fall from another aeroplane. But instead of hitting the concrete floor with expected force he floated to a stop "as if", he said, "some invisible force had prevented his fall from being fatal".
RAF Cranwell - Sleaford Lincolnshire
Built in November 1915 as RNAS Cranwell a Naval air station but later became RAF Cranwell 1918.
It is home to the Royal Air Force College (RAFC), which trains the RAF's new officers and Aircrew.'
From September 1959, all flying training took place at the College; basic training on Percival Provosts and advanced training on either De Havilland Vampires or Gloster Meteors.
There is a chilling group photograph taken here in 1919 shows the face of an engineer who actually died three days before; Freddy Jackson had tripped and fallen into the blades of an aircraft ready for take-off. There is a good copy of the photo I have included.
Cropwell Bishop - Skies over village
In 2004 people looking from their windows, saw a large grey aircraft pass silently overhead. As the aircraft was very low, the witnesses thought it was going to crash, and stepped outside to investigate, although everything was silent. They later found out that a bomber had crashed nearby during the Second World War.
RAF Croydon, Roundshaw Housing Estate, Waddon
The estate was built in 1960's on the site of old Croydon Airport.
During The Great War in 1915 Croydon was used by the Royal Flying Corps to defend London against Zeppelin attack, being just to the south of Central London, as well as for training new pilots.
Between the wars many civilian aviators started or completed their flights here and it was estimated that 100,000 people saw Charles Lindburgh land his Spirit of St Louis here in May 1927.
Croydon was specifically targeted prior to the Second World War by Lufthansa civil aircraft flown by clandestine civilian clothed Luftwaffe pilots to practice night flying and landing over the UK.
During the Second World War RAF Croydon was initially the home to five RAF squadrons of fighter and night fighter aircraft and one squadron of RCAF. As the war progressed many more squadrons also used the facilities.
Croydon was an important base early in the war and providing air cover during the evacuation of Dunkirk (Operation Dynamo). A number of tired and exhausted squadrons flew back into Croydon briefly at the beginning of July 1940 before being posted north.
In 1944, Croydon became the base of RAF Transport Command, and the airfield returned to civilian use in 1946.
A faceless motorcyclist was seen early in the morning, dressed in vintage clothing. It is thought he was stationed on this site during World War 2.
Other airfield ghosts have been reported around the area include a Dutch pilot killed when his airplane crashed in fog in the 1930s
The ghosts of three nuns, have been seen, who died when their plane crashed in 1947.
The ghost of a German pilot who was shot down over the area during the Second World War is said to haunt the area. One story says that a man looking for his lost wallet along Queen Elizabeth's Drive had the item handed back to him by German pilot, who appeared quite solid.
It was said a chambermaid working at the Croydon hotel quit after spotting a phantom RAF pilot. A guest also reported seeing a group of pilots sitting and singing around a fireplace in the restaurant.
A witness walking to the nearby college suddenly realised that everything had become silent and there was no traffic on the roads. Something made him look up only to see a large heptagon shaped craft hovering silently in the sky. It had a red underbelly, bright silver sides and moved from left to right. The witness looked away briefly, during which time the craft started to move at incredible speed. The witness chased across the road (traffic had appeared again) but it had disappeared from view. The witness later found out that he had lost an hour of time.
RAF Debden Bishops Stortford. (USAAF Station 356)
Built between 1935/6 as a fighter station initially with grass runways.
On the outbreak of war the station was equipped with Blenheim’s and Hurricanes. During the period of the “phoney war” the opportunity was taken to construct concrete runways.
It continued the war as a night fighter station and also became home to an American Eagle squadron.
In 1975 the RAF handed the station over to the Army where it became Carver Barracks.
There have been various reports of a shadowy figure seen in and around the buildings who suddenly appears behind and whispers something in a Belgium/French accent.
RAF Detling Kent
This was a station of the Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS) in The Great War. Situated 600 feet above sea level, it is located near Detling, a village about three miles north-east of Maidstone, Kent.
RNAS Detling was used jointly by the Navy and Air Force between 1916 and 1919,
RAF Detling opened in 1939, was assigned to No 11 Group and closed in 1959.
Used for reconnaissance flights during World War 2. On March 19th 1939, Detling was handed over to Coastal Command and No 500 Squadron took delivery of new Avro Ansons, with heavier guns, which took part in protecting convoys in the Channel
In the winter months of 1939/1940, fog was a major problem for the pilots of 500 Squadron. Unable to see the landing strip during such weather, the Ansons often returned very low on fuel. Three Ansons were lost as a result of not finding the landing strip in time and running out of fuel.
The first George Cross ever awarded to a WAAF was awarded to Corporal (later Section Officer) Daphne Pearson who served in the medical section at Detling. Pearson entered a crashed burning Anson in May 1940, still fully loaded with 120 lbs bombs, and freed the unconscious pilot and dragged him to safety before the Anson exploded.
On August 13th 1940, the base was attacked and severely damaged. The base commander, Group Captain Edward Davis, was killed and the operations room was completely destroyed by a direct hit. 22 aircraft were destroyed, as were fuel supplies. 67 station personnel were killed and 94 were injured. In addition inspection of the base’s perimeter found many men in the Army dead. These men had manned AA and machine gun posts.
In March 1943, Detling was put under the control of Fighter Command. No 318 Squadron came to Detling. This was a Polish squadron and Detling was used as a training base for Hurricane fighters.
The build-up to D-Day led to major changes at Detling air base. Squadrons 80, 229 and 274 were based at Detling. They were tasked with attacking the forward bases in Normandy to support the landings.
The majority of the airfield is now used as the Kent Show ground but there are parts that nature has reclaimed and seem to be the haunt of the many RAF and Army personnel and civilians that were killed in two serious raids.
Part of the wooded scrub area is used as a clay shooting ground and it can be a very unsettling place. Shadowy figures can be spotted from the corner of your eye, flitting through the trees and rustling whispers can be heard. You have a feeling you are being watched and the place has an overall feeling of both rage and sadness. Although I shoot there it is not an area to linger and I certainly wouldn't walk there at night.
RAF Digby Scopwick - Lincolnshire
In 1917/1918 it was used for training by RN pilots.
Between the wars it continued to be used for training until it became a fighter station in 1938 equipped with Hurricanes. They were joined in February 1941 by two Canadian Hurricane squadrons.
On 16th September 1942 it became RCAF Digby flying de Havilland Mosquitos reverting back to RAF in May 1945.
During the war it was the home for 30 RAF squadrons, 13 Canadian squadrons, 4 Polish squadrons, 2 Belgian squadrons and 1 Czech squadron. Those airmen had flown Hurricane, Spitfire, Defiant, Blenheim, Beaufighter, Mosquito, Mustang, Wellington, Oxford and Anson aircraft. The station had also hosted the full range of visiting RAF heavy bombers and their crews, as well as no fewer than 54 USAAF B-17Gs on a foggy night in November 1944.
Flying ceased in January 1953 and it continued in a communications role.
Since 1st September 1998 it became 399 Signals Unit.
On 29th January 2007 at 1725hrs two men travelling back to Waddington spotted a figure wearing a long cloak or tail coat disappearing into a hedge row towards the airbase. One witness said the figure was transparent or shadowlike, and did not appear to have any legs.
Cycling along on an old bike, this phantom RAF officer once stopped and asked two guards for the control tower to be opened for him. When they agreed, the officer vanished. On other occasions, lights were reported moving around the control tower, though it would be locked and empty.
RAF Drem East Lothian, Scotland
In 1942 Spitfires were based here to protect the ships in the Firth of Forth.
Royal Navy personnel were posted to RAF Drem and in 1945 the unit was handed over to the Admiralty and renamed HMS Nighthawk. On 15 March 1946, it was handed back to the RAF and closed shortly after.
A slip in time - A lost pilot recalled flying over a disused airfield in 1934 and saw it operational, with yellow RAF aircraft on the ground - these did not exist at the time. He checked a little later on and found the airfield was really unused and derelict. A few years later, in 1939 the airfield was reopened for training purposes, and aircraft based there were painted yellow.
RAF Driffield Great Driffield East Yorkshire
First opened in 1917 as RAF Eastburn but closed in early 1920s.
Rebuilt and renamed in 1935, it acted as a heavy bomber station during WW2, flying both Whitley and Wellingtons.
Became a Thor nuclear missile site in 1960s and finally closed in 1977 and handed over to the army as Alamein Barracks.
A pilot who bailed out from his aircraft above the airfield landed on the control tower while in a controlled descent. Sadly he died falling from the tower onto the concrete. His canopy has been seen slowly parachuting onto the building.
RAF Dunsfold Cranleigh Surrey
Built as a heavy bomber airfield commanded by the Royal Canadian Air Force from 1942–1944 and was known as Royal Canadian Air Force Station Dunsfold. During this period they operated B-25 Mitchell Bombers, Typhoons, Mustangs, Mosquitoes and Spitfires.
It also housed No: 320 (Dutch) Squadron flying B-25 Mitchells.
Immediately after the war, the airfield was used as a repatriation centre and over 47,000 prisoners of war were returned to their homelands using Dakota, Lancaster, Stirling and Halifax aircraft.
It was declared inactive by the RAF in 1946 but was then used by Skyways Ltd, initially in the Berlin airlift and then for purely civilian use.
During 2006 workers on the 007 film Casino Royale reported seeing the ghost of a woman moving along the aisles of an elderly Boeing 747-200 they used as a set. It is believed the phantom is of a female passenger who died from a heart attack at least thirty years previous. Also although the aircraft had no power, various lights and switches would activate themselves with no human intervention.
RAF Duxford Cambridgeshire - Imperial War Museum
Built in 1918 initially as a training airfield for No 2 Flying Training School.
After extensive use in The Battle of Britain in 1943 RAF Duxford passed to the USAAF and the Eighth Air Force fighter command.
It remained an active air station up until 1961 and in 1976 became the Imperial War Museum.
Thirteen Americans decided that they would buzz the control tower in a fit of high spirits in their B-17. They just missed the tower and Hangar 3, but the left wing struck a beacon on the corner of the hangar. The stricken B-17 cleared the Officers’ Mess, but hit the second barrack block – all 13 on board were killed, plus a serviceman who was the only one in the barracks that afternoon.
Additionally, again in 1944 a Halifax bomber, with a full bomb load, got into difficulties over Cambridge – everyone bailed out and the aircraft crashed on a building and exploded. As it was towards the end of the war, nothing was done to repair it.”
Other witnesses report hearing the sound of aircraft flying low overhead, though nothing can be seen, while hanger 5 is another paranormal hotspot.
East Cowes -Isle of Wight - Skies above area
Seen parachuting down from an unseen aircraft, this decapitated airman is thought to date from the Second World War, but no details are available.
RAF East Fortune - Edinburgh
It was used as a fighter station during The Great War and for training and night fighters during World War II. The motto of the station was "Fortune Favours the Bold". East Fortune was established as a fighter and airship airfield in 1915. In 1919 the British airship R34 made the first ever return flight across the Atlantic and the first east-west crossing by air, flying from East Fortune to Mineola, New York. The flight took 108 hours and 12 minutes.
In 1942, it became a station for a group of de Havilland Mosquito aircraft. It was also made available as an emergency landing option for bomber aircraft in distress.
In the post-war era the runways have been taken over for local private aviation use, while the former RAF buildings have been used for the National Museum of Flight since 1976.
The smell of tobacco is said to fill the air in the top hanger, even though no smokers are present. Mild poltergeist activity is reported, and occasionally a phantom man is seen wearing dark overalls.
RAF East Kirkby - Lincolnshire, now East Kirkby Watch Tower aviation heritage centre
The base opened on 20th August 1943 as a Bomber Command Station flying Lancasters.
In total, 212 operations were carried out during the war, from which 121 Lancasters did not return. Another 29 aircraft were lost due to operational crashes or accidents.
A tall USAAF officer has been seen several times in the old watch tower. He is thought to have been killed when a Flying Fortress crash landed near the site in 1944. The same figure is thought to have been seen on the runway - dragging his parachute behind him, he slowly moves towards the control tower.
Reports were noted of the sound of footsteps on an iron staircase in the control tower. Only problem was that the iron fire escape had been removed some time before.
RNAS Eglinton (HMS Gannet) - City of Derry Airport
This air station had its origins in World War II. In 1941 RAF Eglinton air base was established as the home to No. 133 Squadron RAF which flew Hurricane fighters in defence of the city. In 1942 the base was occupied by the No. 41 Squadron RAF. In 1943 the airfield became a Fleet Air Arm base called RNAS Eglinton (HMS Gannet) and was home to the No. 1847 Fleet Air Arm Squadron which provided convoy air cover as part of the Battle of the Atlantic.
A member of staff was working in the kitchens cleaning up he felt this coldness in the kitchens. It seemed to come on really quickly and then there was a musty unpleasant smell that was really strong wafting from behind him. He turned around and saw a man dressed in a WWII uniform standing beside the fridges. He looked sad and tired, as if he was out of breath. He froze and stared at the spectre for a while and then it suddenly disappeared in front of him.
Airport staff has reported seeing figures of RAF Staff dressed in World War Two clothing moving around the airport.
RAF Elsham Wold -Lincolnshire
Built in December 1916 it fell into disuse between the wars but was refurbished into a heavy bomber station in 1939/1940 flying Wellingtons, Halifaxes and finally Lancaster Bombers. It was closed finally in 1947.
There is a large radio and telephone mast on top of Elsham hill.
In January 1945, Corporal Hilary, drove a van across to the far side of the airfield, due to the thick fog, Hilary had to drive with the headlights lights full on. It was midday and Hilary became lost out on the airfield. She stepped out of the van to try and locate her position, when she saw coming out of the fog into the van headlights three aircrew in full flying kit. She asked them for directions but they just ignored her and walked past and disappeared into the fog. Because of the fog there was no flying and therefore no crews should have been on the field.
A family living in the tower after the war reported hearing Morse messages being tapped out, seeing pilots dressed in flying gear, and even once watching a large aeroplane taking off from the disused runway, bearing the code letters PM.
A little boy living by the airfield suddenly woke during the night and started screaming He said ‘”Can’t you hear that plane? It’s talking off and it’s not coming back”. He went on to describe in great detail a four-engine aircraft and its seven-man crew he had seen taking off from the old main runaway
RAF Eshott, Northumberland
Built in 1942 as a training airfield for Spitfires it is also known as Bockenfield Aerodrome.
RAF transferred north to RAF Boulmer in August 1944 and since then it has remained a field for light aircraft.
Two men were driving along a road in Northumberland when they spotted a man dressed in beige with a bag under his arm apparently trying to flag down a lift. Moments later, the spooky figure disappeared from sight - even though no other cars had passed and there was nowhere for him to go. On researching the area, they found that Sergeant John Knight, a trainee RAF pilot, died in a Spitfire crash at nearby Middlepart Farm in July 1943.
Felixstowe Suffolk- Crossroads controlled by traffic lights
For several days, a car driver found himself giving a lift to a World War 2 pilot, who would suddenly appear on the back seat of his car when he reached a certain point of his journey. This stopped once the driver started taking a different route.
RAF Feltwell - Norfolk
Built in 1936/7 as a heavy bomber base flying Wellingtons and Halifax from grass runways.
Post war RAF Thor Missiles were stationed here 1958-1963. After the departure of the Thor missiles in 1963, the RAF's Officer Cadet Training Unit was based on the station.
Between 1989 and 2003 it also hosted the US Air Force's 5th Space Surveillance Squadron (5 SPSS)
In 1973 an aircraft apparently was heard to land and taxi up to an area near the barracks - keeping its engines running. Suddenly some RAF personnel came into his barracks, who he described as wearing WW2 flying gear, they looked around and then just as quickly went out - He followed their departure and saw a shot up Lancaster (it may have been a Halifax) with the crew all "running about doing things to the plane." Suddenly they all climbed in and it took off and vanished.
RAF Fiskerton - Lincolnshire, control tower (no longer standing)
Built as a heavy bomber station, one of the few equipped with FIDO. They flew Lancasters and took part in the Peenemünde raid on the research and development centre for the V2 missile. 576 Squadron took part in the raid on Hitler's hideout at Berchtesgaden and in Operation Manna to feed the starving Dutch.
At the end of the war it was left empty for a few years, locals reported still hearing voices coming from the control tower. Figures in RAF uniform were also reported in the area, as were men dressed in aircrew gear. An inter-denominational prayer team visited the site in 2006, and no reports of haunting activity have been reported since.
RAF Grangemouth - Falkirk, Stirlingshire
Built in May 1939 and operated as a Civilian Air Navigation School (CANS) until early September 1939.
RAF took over in November 1939 to train night fighter pilots and used by 602 Squadron flying Supermarine Spitfires, 141 Squadron flying Bristol Blenheims and Gloster Gladiators and 263 Squadron flying Westland Lysanders. In December 1940 it was used by No. 58 Operational Training Unit (later renamed No. 2 Tactical Exercise Unit). Closed in 1955.
There is a memorial to hundreds of Polish pilots who died in their role as night fighter pilots during the conflict.
Today the site is now part of Inchyra Park, a light industrial area, the Charlotte Dundas Shopping Centre, and a housing estate.
A phantom pilot dressed in his RAF clothing has been reported haunting the site of his old base.
RAF Gravesend - Kent (now an area of private houses on the River View Park estate)
Gravesend started life as a civilian light aircraft airfield in the 1933. A few years later three RAF aircraft started to use the grass field and it became a training school for both the RAF and RNAS. At the outbreak of war it became a front line fighter station during the Battle of Britain. Three American Eagle squadrons were based here flying Spitfires.
In the later part of the war pilots specialised in “tipping” V1 pulse engine flying bombs and providing barrage balloons for the defense of Southern England and London.
A total of 111 pilots and ground crew were killed during the war.
Scrap German aircraft were stored here and the alloy was salvaged.
Investigators believe that a German pilot was shot down whilst on a bombing run over the area and now appears, as a phantom, on the housing estate looking for something and speaking in German.
RAF Grove Oxfordshire
Opened in 1942, it was used by both the RAF and USAAF (USAAF Station AAF-519). During the war its function was primarily as a reconnaissance airfield. After the war it was closed in 1947
When peace returned, the airfield was used for surplus aircraft disposal. Today the entire area has been taken over by agriculture and industrial units.
Staff at the private company which took over one of the industrial units frequently reported, in the late 1970s seeing a ghostly figure dressed in flying kit or feeling his presence. It was speculated that he was based locally and was killed when his bomber crash landed nearby - the payload exploded, killing everyone on board.
RAF Halton - Buckinghamshire
Opened in 1913 for RFC practice, but area shared with the army.
In 1919 Lord Trenchard established the No. 1 School of Technical Training at RAF Halton until it moved to RAF Cosford in the early 1990s.
During the Second World War RAF Halton continued its training role. Additionally No 112 Squadron and No 402 Squadron of the Royal Canadian Air Force were located at Halton for part of the war flying Kittyhawks and Hurricanes.
RAF Halton is currently the RAF's centre for recruit training and airmen's development training,
One evening there was much noise and shrieking coming from the ghosts of three airmen with their legs missing. This has been seen many times.
RAF Harrowbeer Yelverton - Devon
The airfield was built and operational in 1941 following devastating raids on Plymouth. The original aircraft used were Blenheim 1F bombers, but later Lysanders, Boulton Paul Defiants and Spitfires were used.
Pilots from Britain, Canada, Czechoslovakia, France, Poland and the United States of America, all flew various missions from here.
After playing a crucial role in “D” Day the airfield was eventually closed and demolished in 1961.
In August 1987 woman photographed alone in a helicopter found, after her prints were developed, there was a figure sitting next to her in the pilot's seat. Though the phantom figure could have been created by lighting and reflection, others are less sure.
RAF Harrington - Northamptonshire - Road leading to Lamport
Opened in 1943 Harrington was allocated to the United States Army Air Forces Eighth Air Force and assigned USAAF designation Station 179.
RAF Bomber Command took over again in December 1958 with three THOR IRBM WS-315A missile system which had a range of 1,500 nautical miles (2,780 km) before being phased out with the advent of the manned RAF V-bombers in 1963.
Heading towards an old USAAF airfield, a car full of military personnel appears then slowly fades from view as travels the road.
RAF Hawkinge - Nr. Folkestone Kent
Now houses the Kent Battle of Britain Museum.
Built in 1916 as RFC Folkestone with the original purpose of ferrying aircraft to the front lines in France and Belgium.
In 1923 it undertook an expansion programme and when the war started, some 16 years later, it was used for fighter training using Blenheims and Hurricanes.
Became a refuelling base and very busy front line fighter station with 33 squadrons during WW2. After hostilities ceased it housed a glider training squadron and Spitfire, Mustang and Auster flights.
There are various phantom sounds and visions. Sounding like it belongs to a World War 2 aircraft, an engine has been heard in the skies, but nothing ever seen. One witness claimed it sounded like the pulse engine of a doodlebug - a World War 2 German flying bomb.
Another witness has seen a ghostly figure hanging from a parachute that is currently on display.
Hayward's Heath - Rocky lane West Sussex
In 1995 driving home for lunch, this witness watched a large aircraft, similar to a World War Two bomber, pass overhead and descend rapidly towards a railway line. The witness thought the aircraft had crashed, so climbed out of the car and ran over to a brick wall which had obscured the view of the falling aircraft. There was nothing there, and then the witness realised the aircraft had been completely silent as it passed above.
Heathrow Airport - London General area
In 1930 a private airfield was built using grass runways. In WW2 the government decided to build RAF Heston, a base for long-range troop-carrying aircraft bound for the Far East. An RAF-type control tower was constructed and a ‘Star of David’ pattern of runways laid.
In 1944 the need for new RAF airports had passed and the area cleared on 1st January 1946 for a new civil airport, which grew to a massive size. In 2016 Heathrow celebrates its 70th anniversary
During the 1980s this ghost was heard several times, breathing heavily around female members of staff, but never being seen.
A second entity wears a bowler hat, and has been known to ask about the whereabouts of his briefcase - both case and man were in an aircraft that crashed in the late 1940s, killing all on board.
A phantom Dick Turpin rides a brown horse across the runways, while finally cleaning staff during the 1970s reported a presence which held them down, applying pressure around their throats.
RAF Hemswell - Lincolnshire
The first airfield on the site was opened in 1918 by the Royal Flying Corps and called RFCS Harpswell. During the First World War it was used as a night landing ground and two night flying training squadrons were established there. In June 1919 the grass airfield was returned to its former use as farmland.
In December 1936 the airfield was reconstructed and used by RAF Bomber Command for 20 years between 1937 and 1957. Later used again by RAF Bomber Command as a THOR nuclear ballistic missile base during the Cold War it closed to military use in 1967.
Two rather horrific ghosts have been reported at this former World War Two airbase. A pilot who crash landed runs down the runway with his clothes on fire, while an engineer who lost his arm in machinery staggers around screaming.
A ghostly rendition of the Missouri Waltz is also heard playing.
RAF Hendon - Air Museum London NW4
RAF Museum Hendon is situated on the site of the original London Aerodrome at Colindale.
During The Great War the Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS) mounted a night defence of the city from Hendon and trained pilots for the conflict.
It was active during WW2 and the Battle of Britain but mostly for transport use.
The airfield ceased flying in 1968 and the RAF Museum was founded in 1972
The Lancaster Bomber 'S for Sugar', which is kept on site here, still seems to retain its crew from World War Two in phantom form. A gunner has been observed sitting in one of the turrets, while the sounds of people working on the aircraft have been recorded late at night in an empty hanger.
RAF Hibaldstow, Lincolnshire
It was built in 1940 as a satellite airfield for RAF Kirton-in-Lindsey flying Defiant night fighters. In 1941 they were replaced by Bristol Beaufighter IIFs and Havocs and on 9th May 1943 No. 53 Operational Training Unit RAF joined flying Spitfires.
On 6th August 1947 the station finally closed and is used for recreational parachuting.
In 1952 a group of ex WW2 pilots visited the now run down airfield when they heard the unmistakable sound of a Merlin engine. Amazed they looked around and a Spitfire was making a landing, gear and flaps down when it suddenly disappeared.
Hockley Woods Essex
During the summer of1973 a person called police after hearing a loud crash and screams for help in the woods, which they thought to be an aircraft crash. On investigation, nothing could be found.
RAF Honington Suffolk
Built in 1937 for the RAF as a heavy bomber station, flying Wellingtons and in 1942 handed to USAAF flying B-17, B-25 and Mustang fighters.
In 1946 it reverted to the RAF for transport use and played a major part in the Berlin Airlift.
In 1955 Canberra’s were flown in the Suez crisis, while 1956 it became a V bomber base. In August 1982, it became the world's first Panavia Tornado GR1 squadron. The aircraft were equipped with WE.177 nuclear laydown bombs.
In June 1983 two RAF police officers spotted a man dressed in Second World War flying kit smoking a cigarette between two barbed wire fences. When they challenged him, he turned away, walked through one of the fences, and faded away. It may be connected with a local story report that a USAAF bomber exploded on take-off during the war, and one of the crew's bodies was never found.
Hope - Aston Lane, Derbyshire near the railway bridge,
In April 1995 a man watched a totally silent aircraft fly past him, a mere 50ft above the ground, before it dived behind a hill. Expecting to find the crash site, he investigated but found nothing there.
RAF Hornchurch Essex
Known in 1915 as Sutton’s Farm during the Great War. They flew BE12, Sopwith 1½ Strutter, Sopwith Pup, FE2, Bristol Fighter, SE5a and Sopwith Camel, to successfully attack Zeppelins using mixed incendiary ammunition.
Rebuilt as a fighter station in 1928 it later became a very busy front line fighter base during the Battle of Britain and the rest of WW2. They flew mainly Spitfires but also a squadron of Bristol Beaufighter Mk 1F. Closed in 1962.
In 1970 a witness reported hearing schoolchildren playing on the disused site, although it was late at night, and seeing pilots walking around the area.
RAF Kelstern Lincolnshire
Opened in 1917 as a zeppelin hunting base. Closed in 1919, reopened September 1943 as a heavy bomber base flying Lancaster bombers and closed again May 1945.
In 1983 man dressed in an old RAF uniform tries to hitch a lift to the now ruined airbase. There are also reports of the sounds of an old aircraft in the skies and along the former runways.
RAF Kirton in Lindsey Lincolnshire
Started life as RFC Kirton in Lindsey in 1916 and closed in 1919.
Rebuilt in the late 1930s and opened in 1940 as a fighter station with American, Polish, Australian, New Zealand and Canadian squadrons.
There are reports of phantom screams of pain which are thought to date from an air raid which killed many French pilots (I have no records of French squadrons operating here but this may have been French Canadian voices)
One of these men has also been observed lurking by an old hanger.
RAF Lakenheath Suffolk- Lakenheath Air Force Base, perimeter road
During the Great War it was a bombing practice range closing in 1918.
In 1940 it was rebuilt as a decoy airfield, but in 1941 it was converted to a heavy bomber station. The two RAF squadrons had lost 116 Stirling Bombers & crews in combat while flying from Lakenheath.
In 1948 due to the cold war the airfield was passed to 7504th Base Completion Squadron, USAAF.
Although an RAF station, it currently hosts United States Air Force units and personnel. The host wing is the 48th Fighter Wing (48 FW), also known as the Liberty Wing, assigned to United States Air Forces in Europe - Air Forces Africa (USAFE-AFAFRICA).
In 1945 a figure has been seen walking across the airfield on bright moonlit nights, the ghost here is believed to be that of an Australian pilot who died when his bomber crashed during World War 2.
In Spring 1951 a phantom hitchhiker was seen along the road, leading to the base, dressed as a RAF pilot. An American base policeman picked him up, only to find that the pilot had disappeared from the car a few minutes later.
RAF Langar Nottinghamshire
Opened in 1942 it was primarily used by the RAF and USAAF as a troop carrier transport airfield. After the war it was transferred to the Royal Canadian Air Force which used it as an operational base until 1963. Finally released from military control, the airfield (now called Langar Airfield) is the base for the British Parachute Schools, who use the original control tower for their headquarters.
In 1978 a witness watched a man in RAF uniform walk down a set of steps. The figure smiled at the witness before walking through a wall.
While driving away from the site in 1983, a director of a business operating from the former base thought he had hit a uniformed man that had suddenly appeared in front of his car. He stopped and looked for what he was sure was an injured person, but could find nothing. The same thing happened to him again a few weeks later.
RAF Langham - Norwich Apple Orchard,
Originally opened as a satellite station for RAF Bircham Newton, the station became independent in 1942, when it was upgraded with concrete runways, perimeter track and hard standings, and there is evidence to suggest that it was equipped with the FIDO fog dispersal system. Reactivated during the Korean War. It was later used as an emergency landing strip for RAF Sculthorpe, before final closure in 1961.
RAF, RAAF and RNZAF had units based here.
The sound of a crashing aircraft has been reported amongst the surrounding trees, and misty figures dressed in USAAF uniform (although no USAAF personnel were based here) have been seen - always disappearing when approached.
Screaming was once heard coming from one end of a former runway, though when the sound was investigated, nothing was found.
RAF Leeming - North Yorkshire
Opened in October 1939 as a heavy bomber station. Joined by RCAF in September 1942 Closed in May 1946.Contined as a fighter station and currently housing 607 (County of Durham) Squadron.
The last Tornado squadron at Leeming (No XXV Squadron) disbanded on 4th April 2008.
In 1950 the crew from a heavy bomber have been seen walking together here, and when not seen they have been heard laughing and joking among themselves.
RAF Lichfield Fradley - Staffordshire
Construction was started in 1939 and in August 1940 the Royal Air Force moved in, along with Hawker Hurricane, Airspeed Oxford and Avro Anson aircraft. Spitfires arrived in 1941 and Vickers Wellington aircraft followed in 1942. Alongside RAF personnel training in the Wellingtons, there were a large number of Australians and some Canadians and Czechs. The RAF left in 1958 and the whole site was sold by the Air Ministry in 1962 to become an industrial and housing estate.
There is a headless rear gunner that haunts this area who walked into the propellers of a Lancaster - whether it was an accident or suicide will never be known.
RAF Lindholme South Yorkshire-
Built in 1938 as a heavy bomber base for RAF, RCAF and Polish Bomber squadrons.
Lindholme was also a Canberra modification centre where English Electric Canberra’s were adapted for advanced duties
Aircraft movements were replaced by radar and missile installations.
By 1985 the whole camp was sold and turned into Lindholme (HM Prison).
A Polish airman who died when he crash-landed, 'Pete the Pole', aka 'Lindholme Willie', turned up at the airbase several times in the years following his death. Even when the former airbase was replaced by a prison in later years, the pilot reportedly turned up in prisoner's cells. In 1957 a misty shape was seen walking along the runway before vanishing. Lindholme Willies aircraft had crashed into Lindholme bog and his body not recovered at the time. When the bog was drained in the 80s a body was recovered from the wreck and given a full military funeral and Willie has not been seen since.
In 1962 a witness recalled how he and a friend were walking across the deserted airfield at night, when they spotted a strange light in the control tower. Both knowing that the building should have been empty, the illumination unnerved them slightly. As they passed by a hanger, they were suddenly surrounded by the sounds of activity - they could hear the hanger doors screeching open, the engines of aircraft starting up, and the sound of many pairs of boots running by them, though nothing could be seen.
RAF Linton-on-Ouse - North Yorkshire
Opened on 13th May 1937 as a bomber airfield for the RAF and RCAF also operated from here, during the Second World War. It continued as a fast jet training station thereafter.
It is responsible for three satellite stations; RAF Topcliffe, RAF Church Fenton and RAF Dishforth.
A former pilot at the base, W O Hodgson's ashes were scattered across the runway and a small plaque erected in the 1950s. When the memorial was moved thirty years later, a spectral pilot was seen several times around the control tower.
The officer's mess is also thought to be haunted, this time by a pilot who died in 1978 when his Provost crashed.
A TV programme was made re various happenings. The medium made contact with a young Canadian airman who was crushed to death by a fuel bowser while refuelling a Sabre jet. He just wanted to assure his mother that he was at peace.
RAF Lissett East Yorkshire
Originally required as satellite airfield for RAF Catfoss the land was requisitioned in 1940 and the airfield operational in February 1943 as a heavy bomber base. The squadron continued to operate until the end of the war and participated in 250 raids during which it sadly lost over 140 Halifaxes from crashes or enemy fire.
In 1945 it was relegated to care and maintenance until 1947 when it was abandoned.
In December 2008 it now hosts 12 wind turbines.
In a climate of so many fatal crashes a phantom Halifax bomber only made itself visible to the horrified crew once they were actually inside their aircraft, which meant they were all destined to die together.
RAF Little Walden Airfield, also known as Hadstock Essex
Opened in 1942, for both the RAF and USAAF. During the war it was used primarily as a bomber and fighter combat airfield in August 1942 and was assigned to the Eighth Air Force when it was known as USAAF Station AAF-165 for security reasons. After the war it was used for surplus military storage before being closed in 1958. It returned to agricultural use in May 1958.
In November 1993 fifty years after dying when his Mustang fighter crash landed, Captain Scholz, still dressed in his flying suit, appeared in the back seat of a car as it drove past the airfield. The apparition was only visible for a few seconds.
Having lost his head in a flying accident, the apparition of an American pilot has been seen thumbing a lift on the roadside
Llandovery - Towy Valley, between Llandovery & Llandeilo
This was a training zone for World War 2 crews who specialised in low flying. The phantoms seen, one assumes, is from a spectral Wellington Bomber which belonged to a group that died in training.
RAF Llandow Vale of Glamorgan, South Wales
Opened on 1st April 1940 as No. 38 Maintenance Unit RAF (38 MU) which was tasked with the reception, storage and despatch of RAF aircraft. Between June 1941 and July 1944 it was a training squadron for Spitfires. De Havilland Vampire fighters arrived in July 1950 and continued in use until disbandment of the squadron on 10th March 1957.
The Llandow air disaster occurred on 12th March 1950 when an Avro Tudor V airliner G-AKBY of Fairflight Ltd crashed on final approach to runway 28 at RAF Llandow. The aircraft was returning from Dublin Airport with five crew and 80 rugby supporters, all except three passengers being killed.
On 18th August 2009 A father and his young son were walking along the misty runway at this disused airfield. They paused to drink tea, and noticed that there was a red flashing light on the control tower, just visible through the mist. The wind suddenly picked up, and as the mist cleared they both spotted the ghostly silhouette of a four engine Second World War bomber, moving silently, banking over the airfield.
Llysfaen -, skies over Colwyn Bay area
In the early 1980s a family on holiday in the area watched a ghostly World War Two bomber fly over the sea and vanish inland, diving behind a hill as if going to crash. They noticed there was no sound accompanying the aircraft.
RAF Llandbedr – Maes Artro – Wales
Opened in 1941 for a whole variety of piston engine and jet training, finally being passed to Serco in 1991.
A training base for fighter pilots during World War Two, a couple of the RAF trainees have refused to go away post mortem, The site has now been converted into a holiday village, with the majority of the original buildings destroyed. A reported well-known activity is that two RAF men still roam the site, a ghost of a dog, voices heard, chairs moving and small items are removed.
Longdendale Valley - Peak District
A dozen witnesses in different areas of the valley called emergency services after they watched a large WW2 aircraft crash in the valley one spring night in 1997. A search of the area revealed no evidence of an accident, and locals blamed the ghostly reappearance of a B29 USAAF bomber that crashed just after World War 2. The captain of that aircraft is also said to walk the area in which he died. Other sources say the plane is a C-47 Skytrain transport or a Boeing F-13A 'Superfortress' which crashed in 1946.
RAF Ludham Norfolk
Also known as HMS Flycatcher / RAF Ludham / RNAS Ludham / USAAF Station 177
From November 1941 to August 1943 it was a RAF Fighter Station, with Spitfires and Typhoons.
During 1943 the airfield was then allocated to USAAF but no units based here.
August 1944 to February 1945 Allocated to Royal Navy as HMS Flycatcher.
Returned to RAF February 1945 to July 1945 with Spitfires.
It is said that on a certain moonlit nights a large aircraft, possibly a bomber, can be heard and seen landing on what was once the runway before bursting into flames.
RAF Manby - Tedder Hall, Lincolnshire and surrounding area
It was opened in 1938 as home to the Empire Air Armament School. Many bomb disposal techniques were invented at Manby. In addition to bomb disposal Manby later became the home of the College of Air Warfare, part of which was the School of Refresher Flying. It finally closed in 1974.
At the end of the war one of the hangers was used to store 3 German jet aircraft, Heinkel 262, ME 163 (Komet) and another similar, but unknown.
The area is said to be haunted by a Second World War pilot. He is sometimes seen wearing a long greatcoat and at others wearing his flying gear. The drone of aircraft prop engines is sometimes heard over the old runways.
RAF Manston Kent
In 1916 there were two distinct units stationed at Manston, the Operational War Flight Command and the Handley Page Training School for familiarisation with the new Handley Page bombers. They were effective at dealing with Zeppelin attacks and daylight bombing raids by German 'Gotha' Bombers.
In the Second World War it was originally equipped with Hurricanes and later Hawker Typhoon. It had large long runways which could accommodate any size of aircraft and was often used as an emergency landing field for damaged heavy bombers. In addition, although not prone to fog, it was equipped with FIDO.
In 1950s the USAAF used Manston as a Strategic Air Command base for its fighter and fighter-bomber units. In 1960 control of the airfield returned to the RAF.
RAF Manston was home to a helicopter search and rescue (SAR) flight from No. 22 Squadron RAF from 1961, operating Westland Whirlwind aircraft, until 1994 using Sea King HAR.3.
At the moment the airfield had been re-named as Kent International Airport but its future is in doubt.
In January 1970 an MoD fireman was on kitchen duty in the early hours of the morning when he spotted a semi-translucent figure wearing a flying helmet, Irvin jacket and Mae West. The witness quickly left the area. He was later told that others had seen the entity, and it was considered to be a pilot who crashed into a snow drift during the Second World War.
RAF Martlesham Heath - Suffolk.
Very busy airport active between 1917 and 1963, and played an important role in the development of Airborne Interception radar.
It was the home of an RAF fighter group until 1943 flying Bristol Blenheim bombers, Hawker Hurricanes, Supermarine Spitfires and Hawker Typhoons. Following this it was passed over to the USAAF until 1945 flying Republic P-47 Thunderbolts and North American P-51 Mustangs as escorts for B-17 bombers on German raids.
A major airfield during World War 2, the Police Headquarters and the surrounding heathland has a reputation of being haunted by the souls of long dead pilots. Several police officers have seen such spectral figures in their canteen, while more recently, owners of a shop reported seeing a detached human shadow outside their establishment, no body just a shadow.
There is reported to be the ghostly figure of a WAAF walking across a car park to where the old control tower was situated.
RAF Mepel - Cambridgeshire
Opened in June 1943 as a heavy bomber station for No. 75 (NZ) Squadron RAF flying Short Stirlings and later Avro Lancasters.
Towards the end of the Second World War it prepared Avro Lancaster bomber squadrons such as No. 44 (Rhodesia) squadron for use in Tiger Force which was to bomb Japan.
From 1957 PGM-17 Thor missiles were sited at the airfield.
In November 1960 an RAF police officer encountered the apparition of an RAF pilot in full flying gear in the fog. The phantom dissolved before him. The witness tried to report it as an incident and was told not to bother as it had been seen before.
Others on site had heard the sound of an aircraft flying low as if to land, though no aircraft would actually touch down.
RAF Metheringham - Lincolnshire
Opened as a bomber airfield during World War II the station was operational in October 1943 and was decommissioned in the spring of 1946
In 1945 when hostilities ceased No. 106 Squadron had tragically lost 65 Lancaster bombers and 995 aircrew in operations flown from the airfield and other bases.
After VE-Day the Australian No. 467 Squadron RAAF arrived to train with 106 Sqn for planned Tiger Force operations against Japan in the Far East
Killed in a motorcycle accident near the base during World War II, Catherine Bystock is said to have returned from the dead when she flags down motorists along the road and asks them to help her boyfriend who is injured down the road, only to vanish if assistance is granted. Witnesses say she has no eyes with the sockets empty and a terrible smell of rotting flesh. This happens on a regular reoccurring basis between 0930 and 1000hrs.
Midhope Moors South Yorkshire
On the 24th March 1997 a reported sighting of a propeller driven plane was witnessed flying very low, in apparent difficulty and then seeming to crash on moors above Sheffield. A rescue operation was launched but, as has happened before, no trace of any plane or crash was found despite a search involving 100 volunteers and police.
This latest incident was witnesses by several people who dialled 999 when they saw a plane in trouble. Gamekeeper Michael Ellison and his wife who live at Strines spoke of hearing an almighty explosion. A farmer has spoken of him instinctively ducking when the plane passed over his head. A former police special constable Marie France-Tattersfield has reported that she and her husband (a former pilot) saw a low flying plane plunge to the ground over Midhope Moors. They reported seeing lights on the wings.
RAF Middleton St. George - Darlington - Now Durham Tees Valley Airport.
The airfield began its life as RAF Goosepool, and in 1941 became RAF Middleton St. George. It was a Bomber Command station in 1941. In 1943 it was allocated to No. 6 Group, Royal Canadian Air Force. These squadrons flew Handley Page Halifaxes, Armstrong Whitworth Whitleys, Vickers Wellingtons, and Avro Lancasters,
After the war it reverted to an RAF base No. 4 Flying Training School, using Gloster Meteors, Hawker Hunters, Gloster Javelins and English Electric Lightnings.
In civilian hands it was renamed Durham Tees Valley Airport in 2004.
Canadian Pilot Officer Andrew Mynarski was awarded the VC for trying to save a rear gunner Pat Brophy when the Lancaster bomber they were in was attacked by a JU88 night fighter and caught fire. He died of severe burns but strangely Pat Brophy survived the crash. The ghost of Andrew Mynarski dressed in flying kit has been seen walking around the airport's hotel.
RAF Mildenhall - Suffolk
This RAF base hosts units from four different major USAF commands – Air Combat Command, Air Force Special Operations Command, Air Mobility Command and United States Air Forces in Europe (USAFE); as well as units of the United States Navy.
It was established as a Royal Air Force station in 1930, and opened in 1934. During World War II, RAF Bomber Command used the station for operational combat missions until 1945. The base saw an appalling death toll with the loss of over 200 Wellington, Stirling, and Lancaster aircraft, and more significantly, the loss of over 2,000 aircrew members.
Placed on standby status after the war, it was reopened by the Royal Air Force and became a USAF-RAF joint operation base on 11 July 1950.
After a long and varied operational period on 18th January 2016, the British Ministry of Defence announced that the site is to be sold.
Old Roger is a figure that is said to primarily haunt the Norfolk Breckland, playing on a beaten up flute that summons storms. During the war, one man claimed to see Roger in the RAF base, the storm following the sighting resulted in an impending German bombing raid on Mildenhall being cancelled.
An aircrew also reported seeing an old Great War biplane land on the runway, before taking off again, during a particularly foggy night during the 1940s.
RAF Montrose - Angus
Opened as RFC Angus on 13th February 1913. In August 1914 the squadron served on the front line in France as one of the early fighter units.
Between the wars it acted as a training airfield.
During WW2 many fighter squadrons and the RNAS served at RAF Montrose. Commonwealth, Polish, Czech, American, Russian, Turkish, Free French and other Allied nationals all trained and served at RAF Montrose during this time
Lt Desmond Arthur died while out on his first solo flight - killed in a flying accident on 27 May 1913 his ghost appeared in the base commander's room three times, before the room was locked up and no longer used. He was also seen flying around in his biplane, up until the end of the Second World War.
A phantom Second World War RAF Officer was seen around the base during the latter years of the conflict. It was thought that he was killed when a mechanic with a grudge tampered with his aircraft's engine.. Since then there have been many other unexplained sightings of apparitions in pilots’ uniforms and phantom planes.
In 2010 wartime music and Churchill speeches was heard to come from a 70-year-old Pye radio, on display, which was not powered or connected in any way
RAF Newton - Nottinghamshire and roads in the area (including Fosse Way)
Built 1939 and until 1941 was a light bomber base. Between July 1941 and December 1946 No. 16 (Polish) Service Flying Training School provided basic and advanced training for Polish airmen serving with the RAF.
Access to the RAF Newton site is, restricted as according to the Ministry of Defence (MoD), much of the ground and buildings are contaminated with Radium used in luminous coating on instrument dials, which was a process carried out here.
A Silhouette phantom airman walks around these roads, vanishing if a car slows down close to him.
RAF North Pickenham - Norfolk
The airfield was constructed in 1942/1943 as an "A" class heavy bomber station. It was immediately handed over to the USAAF Eighth Air Force in April 1944 and assigned USAAF designation Station 143. However it was closed on 8th September 1945.
Became an RAF Maintenance Command centre during the post war period.
On 1st December 1958 the station was reopened as an RAF base, equipped with Thor nuclear missiles; the squadron was deactivated in October 1963 and the missiles removed.
North Pickenham was later used for testing the Hawker P.1127, which would later evolve into the Hawker Siddeley Harrier, and the site was finally sold in 1967 at which point the station was officially closed.
In 1959: the sound of old aircraft engines warming up has been reported coming from a hanger on this site, even though the building in question is empty and has been for many years.
RAF North Weald - Essex
Established as RFC North Weald in June 1916
During the second World War it was developed into a fighter and night fighter base and played a very important part in the Battle of Britain. In 1940, two American Eagle Squadrons moved into North Weald supplied with Spitfires. A couple of years later, Norwegian squadrons were assigned to the airfield.
From 1949 to 1958 jet fighters were assigned here and in 1964 the RAF withdrew completely.
It remains a general airfield flying civilian and antique aircraft. It’s also the home of the North Weald Airfield Museum.
Killed in a bombing raid, footsteps of a member of the Woman's Auxiliary Air Force was heard walking around the area where the bomb hit for a dozen years after her death.
Another ghost was blamed for removing the handset off the telephones on the base - a heavily wounded airman died during the war as he picked up the receiver of a phone, and it was thought he continued to try to make the call for many years l