Samantha is a student of astrology, cartomancy, and dream interpretation.
Understanding Western Astrological Associations to Court Cards
In this Hub, I will cover the associations playing card suits and court cards have to Western Astrology. It isn't exactly necessary to know the zodiac counterparts of cards to read them, however understanding these associations can help card readers establish a timeframe for various readings, or give more detail about people that may be mentioned in readings. I will also detail characteristics of the various signs for those who aren't very familiar with Western Astrology to help give a better picture of the personality of each card.
I have tried to simplify my notes as much as possible to help fellow novice card readers remember points easier. Please enjoy!
Court Cards & Zodiac Counterparts
|Court Card||Clubs (Fire Signs)||Diamonds (Earth Signs)||Spades (Air Signs)||Hearts (Water Signs)|
Aries the Ram: March 21 - April 19
- First zodiac sign so Aries needs to be first for everything!
- Natural born leader.
- Magnetic personality oozing with charm and charisma.
- Can be fearless, a daredevil, a pioneer, or a fearless daredevil pioneer. New frontiers don't intimidate Aries.
- Boundless energy.
- Optimistic and excited for new adventures.
- Competitive drive.
- Impulsive tendencies.
- Aries always thinks it knows best and when stuck on an idea, Aries has a hard time considering the opinions of others.
- Extremely stubborn.
- Chatterbox with endless energy and things to talk about.
- Loves starting new things...finishing them, not so much.
- Loud, blunt, and to the point.
- Bold and courageous, completely unafraid to take action or go to battle for their believes.
- Aries cannot sit still! They always have to be involved.
King of Clubs
Traditionally Associated with: Alexander the Great
Appearance: The King of Clubs has brown or red hair, brown or hazel eyes, and a strong build.
- Lively and energetic.
- Honest, helpful, faithful, and affectionate.
- A bit guarded due to emotional wounds from the past.
- Enjoys being social, but also time alone.
- May be someone who is lonely and in need of a supportive friend.
If this card drawn in a spread it could represent the questioner himself or a male friend or relative if it shows up within the first three cards drawn, or a professional that is able to offer guidance and advice if it shows up later in the spread. Depending on the nature of the question, it could also mean that the timing of the answer will take place between Marsh 21 - April 19.
Taurus the Bull: April 20 - May 20
- Taurus loves all the finer things in life including comfortable surroundings and good food.
- Lover of the arts and often very artistic.
- Practical, patient, and reliable.
- Persistent to the point of stubbornness, determined to meet the end of its goals no matter what.
- Make take breaks, and work at a slow pace, but Taurus always finishes its projects.
- Taurus then rewards its hard work with self indulgence--what's the point of work without reward?!
- Admirer and collector of beautiful things.
- Harmonious, loyal, romantic, and devoted partner--also slightly possessive.
- Prefers routine and stability.
- Typically calm and gentle, but can get argumentative when provoked.
Queen of Diamonds
Traditionally Associated with: Rachel, wife of Jacob
Appearance: A woman who does not look her age (either older or younger). Fair in hair and complexion.
- Able to make and act on decisions quickly.
- Responsible and business-minded.
- At times aggressive, unafraid to cause a scene.
This card may represent the questioner if she is a woman. It may also represent a good friend or advisor if it is one of the three three cards drawn. This card offer suggests that the questioner be more assertive and adopt the traits of the Queen of Diamonds.
Depending on the question, this card may indicate that events indicated in the other cards will occur sometime between April 20 - May 20.
Gemini the Twins: May 21 - June 21
Color: Yellow, blue
- Brilliant mind.
- Always looking for new information to share with others.
- Bright, quick-witted, and fun to be around.
- Great allies who enjoy developing strong relationships.
- Rational, but imaginative--never boring!
- Able to evaluate both sides of an argument.
- Can seem fickle, often changing their mind. You never know which twin is in control!
- Flexible, adaptable, and easy going.
- Have an array of varied interests.
- Great listeners.
- Curious and clever.
- Easily bored and restless when not in good company.
- Charming and generous to their friends.
- Heart is always in the right place.
- Attack work and problems in a logical and well-thought-out manner.
- Valuable team players.
- Light spirit and youthful energy keep them young forever.
- Agile minds and hands make quick work of any manual task.
Jack of Spades
Traditionally Associated with: Hogier the Dane
Appearance: The Jack of Spades is one two extremes; dark hair, eyes, and complexion or impossibly fair. He may also be someone with a striking appearance.
- Well meaning, but a bit scatterbrained.
- Charming, witty, and intelligent.
- An opportunist.
- Resourceful and determined, especially when he's hit the bottom.
- A bit arrogant in his resilience and ability to bounce back no matter the circumstances.
- A great ally and a terrible enemy.
- A complex character who picks and chooses how he represents himself to people.
If the Jack of Spades is the first of three cards drawn it can represent the questioner or someone close to them. It can also indicate some sort of disgrace or bad behavior; troubling thoughts, deceit, or infidelity, for example. The Jack of Spades traditionally only shows one-eye on his card, indicating hidden motives and that things are not always what they seem. An alternative reading of this card can indicate naivety and the founding of new relationships, living up to the dual nature of this card and its associated sign!
Depending on the question something may occur between May 21 - June 21.
Cancer the Crab: June 22 - July 22
Color: Silver, white
- Comforted most by home and family.
- Cheerful when home life is at peace.
- Lovers of tradition and history.
- Very good memory.
- Sentimental, sensitive, and emotional; wear emotions on sleeve.
- Can be moody and retreat into "shell."
- Needs to be given time and space when in a mood.
- Very blunt about their feelings and emotions.
- Kind and gentle, but also capable of manipulation.
- Sulky and vindictive when desires aren't met.
- Very protective of home and loved ones.
- Strong maternal instincts, sometimes smothering.
King of Hearts
Traditionally Associated with: Charlemagne
Appearance: Blonde, auburn, or light brown hair. Blue, gray, or hazel eyes. Older man.
- Friendly, open, and warm.
- Kind, loving, and affectionate.
- Experienced and mature.
- Good humored.
- Fair-minded and open to new ideas.
- Tsundere; emotional and soft-hearted so covers it with a tough exterior.
- Loves a good laugh, can't stay serious too long.
- Can become melancholic when thinking of the woes of the world.
This card may represent the questioner if he is a man. When drawn within the first three cards it could represent the questioners father, grandfather, or someone who has wisdom and experience to share with the questioner.
This card can also represent the events foreseen taking place between June 22 - July 22.
Leo the Lion: July 23 - August 22
Color: Purple, gold
- Love to be in the spotlight.
- Effortless magnetic personality.
- Creative, enthusiastic, and ambitious.
- Natural born leaders who wield power comfortably.
- Opinionated and stubborn in their mindset.
- Well organized.
- Determination to succeed.
- Loyal and honorable.
- Seen as vain and bossy.
- Regal & dignified.
- Fearless, courageous, and strong.
- Can fall head over heels in love way too fast.
Queen of Clubs
Traditionally Named: Argine, anagram of Regina (Latin for Queen)
Appearance: Dark hair and eyes. Dark or tan complexion.
- Social, outgoing, and friendly.
- Carries self with grace and elegance.
- A little manipulative.
- Enjoys the spotlight.
- Can be moody and melancholic.
- Has style and good taste.
- Enjoys luxurious things.
When this card is among the first three drawn for a man, it represents an influential woman in his life. When it is among the first three drawn for a woman it represents her or struggles she may be currently facing.
Drawing this card may indicate that July 23 - August 22 is a vital time period for the reading.
Virgo the Virgin: August 23 - September 22
Color: Tan, warm yellow
- Perfectionist with a serious attention to detail.
- Sense of duty to serve others.
- Methodical and efficient.
- Logical and practical.
- Puts great efforts into projects.
- Incredibly detail oriented.
- Works hard to get things right the first time.
- Cannot sit still for long.
- Brain is constantly on mental overdrive.
- Articulate communicators.
- Grounded, skeptical, and studious.
- Interested in understanding every little detail of things.
- Neat and tidy.
- Easy-going and humble.
- Very picky.
- Prone to nervousness, worry, and hypochondria.
- Focuses a lot of attention on health, hygiene, and diet.
- Jealous lover.
- Sharp mind.
Jack of Diamonds
Traditionally Associated with: Hector the Trojan
Appearance: A soldier/person in uniform, someone young (male or female) with dark eyes and brown, red, or blond hair.
- Someone who appears to have everything under control to hide underlying anxieties.
- Trying to find way in life.
- Requires patience.
This card represents good news about business, money, and travel when surrounded by positive cards. The questioner may soon accomplish somethings other will be proud of. Be wary when surrounded by difficult cards. It may be a warning of a stranger or relative who the questioner should be cautious of or avoid all together. This card may also be advising the questioner to find patience and apply effort to a problem they are facing. When it is among the first three drawn it represents the questioner or someone very close to them. It is typically good news for men and bad news for women.
Libra the Balance: September 23 - October 23
Color: Ivory, pink, light-blue
- Strong sense of justice and fairness.
- Believer of peace and harmony.
- Diplomatic and capable of compromise.
- Works well with others, great team player.
- Avoids conflict and confrontations.
- Strategic and organized.
- Cultured, refined, and intellectual.
- Charming but known for gossip, though not malicious. Libra just has trouble with boundaries.
- Polite and pleasant to be around.
- Cooperative and excellent communicator.
- Very social.
King of Spades
Traditionally Associated with: King David (David & Goliath)
Appearance: Dark hair and eyes with a pale, possibly sickly, complexion. Mature man or appearing mature beyond his years.
- Strong willed.
- Sharp, witty, and intelligent.
- Prefers logic over intuition.
- Everything is black and white.
- Emotionally repressed.
- Opinionated and holds high standards, even at the cost of his relationships.
This cards warns the questioner to be cautious in their dealings so that they do not get taken advantage of and lose everything they've worked for. When among the first three dealt, this card can represent a very stern man in the questioner's life, or the questioner himself if he is a man. This person is very influential in the questioner's life and has been for some time.
The events of the reading may take place around September 23 - October 23.
Scorpio the Scorpion: October 24 - November 21
Planet: Mars, Pluto
Color: Red, black
- Determined, passionate, and motivated.
- Curious and inquisitive.
- See things through; start to finish.
- Impossible to be deterred from a goal.
- Highly intuitive.
- Master of own destiny; lives life on own terms.
- Can sometimes seem overbearing or self-destructive to push agenda.
- Fearless and stubborn.
- Hardworking and proud of efforts.
- Emotionally repressed.
- Clever and perceptive.
- Powerful and intense.
- Absolutely devoted to partner and loved ones.
Queen of Hearts
Traditionally Associated with: Judith of Bethulia (also Venus/Aphrodite, Cleopatra, and Helen of Troy)
Appearance: Delicate, pale skinned, blue-eyed, beautiful, and graceful.
- Loves love and being loved.
- Emotional and intuitive.
- Understanding and sympathetic.
- Enjoys fun and laughter.
- Great fashion sense and style.
- Hates negativity.
Affairs of the heart are a major concern if this card is drawn in a reading. This could involve romance, family, and relationships, but also the questioner's pursuits of creative passions. It may represent the emotional vulnerability of the questioner or herself if she is female. It could also foretell the introduction of a soulmate.
October 24 - November 21 may be an important time depending on the question of the reading.
Sagittarius the Archer: November 22 - December 21
Color: Maroon, navy blue
- Philosophical and curious.
- Seeker of knowledge and truth.
- Generous and optimistic.
- Clear and open mind, able to see the big picture.
- Outspoken in beliefs.
- Can be blunt and argumentative.
- Sometimes a procrastinator and self-indulgent.
- Sociable and charming.
- Outgoing and enthusiastic.
Jack of Clubs
Traditionally Associated with: Sir Lancelot du Lac
Appearance: A young man with dark hair and eyes.
- Idealistic and romantic.
- Restless and sometimes reckless.
- Faithful, honest, and respectable.
When this card is drawn along with the Queen of Hearts or Diamonds it could indicate luck in love. However, if it is drawn alongside the Jack of Hearts it could represent a serious rivalry. If drawn alongside the Jack of Spades or King of Spades or Clubs it could represent a great ally. If among the first three cards drawn it represents the questioner or someone very close to them who has their best interests in mind. It could also represent someone who thinks well of them.
The reading may relate to sometime between November 22 - December 21.
Capricorn the Goat: December 22 - January 19
Color: Brown, khaki
- Determined to succeed.
- Willing to work hard to meet eventual goals.
- Ambitious, but play fair.
- Cautious and responsible.
- Dedicated to the point of stubbornness.
- Practical and realistic.
- Focused on goal to make it to the top.
- Can seem domineering and egotistical.
- Understand hard work is needed to reap desirable benefits.
- Born businessperson.
- Sensible and economical.
- Efficient and organized.
- Attention to detail.
- Holds grudges.
- Devoted partner.
King of Diamonds
Traditionally Associated with: Julius Caesar.
Appearance: Mature military figure. Light or gray hair that may be thinning. Blue or gray eyes.
- Sharp, shrewd, and perceptive.
- Impatient and demanding.
- Always looking for a new challenge.
- Big picture over fine details.
- Hides self-doubt.
- Vain, pride easily injured.
- Loyal to those closest to him.
- Driven by self-interest.
If among the first three cards this card represents either the questioner or someone close to them. This person may be a traitor or someone who will soon betray. It may also serve as a warning to take care and be patient in business dealings and investments.
December 22 - January 19 may be important to the reading.
Aquarius the Water Bearer: January 20 - February 18
Planet: Saturn, Uranus
Color: Silver, blue
- Socially conscious.
- Philanthropic humanitarian focused on making things better.
- Progressive thinker.
- Social and outgoing.
- Loves sharing thoughts and new ideas.
- Creative and inventive.
- Can be impatient and temperamental.
- Always has to be right.
- Natural genius.
- Broad-minded and offbeat.
- Individualistic and enjoy roaming.
- Sympathetic and compassionate.
- Flirtatious and hard to get jealous.
- Interested in the latest and greatest.
- Easily makes friends anywhere.
Queen of Spades
Traditionally Associated with: Pallas Athena (also Bathsheba, Joan of Arc, and Lucretzia Borgia)
Appearance: Could be a woman with dark hair and eyes or a woman with a dark, sorrowful aura. A widow, divorcee, or someone in mourning.
- Lonely and abandoned.
- Stoic and dignified.
- Determined and despises anyone who gets in her way.
- Intriguing and mysterious.
- Emotionally defensive.
- True friend to those closest to her.
This card focuses on disappointment and loneliness. If among the first three cards dealt and the questioner is a woman this likely represents something the questioner is mourning; a loss of a loved one, end of a relationship, or loss of something else of value. If the questioner is a man this card could represent his mother or someone close to him.
January 20 - February 18 may be an important time.
Pisces the Fishes: February 19 - March 20
Planet: Jupiter, Neptune
Color: Purple, white
- Compassionate and charitable.
- Love to help.
- Selfless and focused.
- Highly empathetic.
- Sensitiive and emotional.
- Generous and considerate of other.
- Prone to sulking when kindness is not reciprocated.
Jack of Hearts
Traditionally Associated with: Cupid or St. Valentine (also Etienne de Vignolles a.k.a. La Hire)
Appearance: Very attractive and handsome man. May be fair with a wonderful smile, dazzling blue eyes, or some other head-turning feature. Another one-eyed Jack so be cautious as things may not always be what they seem.
- Fickle lover or seducer; thief of hearts.
- Easily loved and admired.
- Fun loving.
This card is a pretty clear indicator of romance, but be mindful of the cards surrounding it. The Jack of Clubs represent rivalry, perhaps in love. The other cards around the Jack of Hearts indicate whether he is an honorable man or just a player. He could represent the questioner or some happy person lose to the questioner. Alternatively, this card could be telling the questioner to take a break and relax a little. Stop worrying so much and have some fun.
A reading containing this card may indicate that the time period between February 19 - March 20 is important.
Test Your Knowledge! (Don't Cheat!)
For each question, choose the best answer. The answer key is below.
- Which card represents Aries?
- King of Clubs
- King of Spades
- Which sign is associated with the Queen of Hearts?
- Which card represents Aquarius?
- Queen of Clubs
- Queen of Spades
- Which sign is associated with the King of Diamonds?
- Which card represents Virgo?
- Jack of Diamonds
- Jack of Hearts
- Which sign is associated with the King of Hearts?
- Which card represents Taurus?
- Queen of Diamonds
- King of Diamonds
- Which sign is associated with the Jack of Hearts?
- Which card represents Gemini?
- Jack of Spades
- Jack of Clubs
- Which sign is associated with the King of Spades?
- Which card represents Sagittarius?
- Jack of Clubs
- Jack of Diamonds
- Which sign is associated with the Queen of Clubs?
- King of Clubs
- Queen of Spades
- Jack of Diamonds
- Queen of Diamonds
- Jack of Spades
- Jack of Clubs
Interpreting Your Score
If you got between 0 and 3 correct answers: Looks like you need to do a bit more reading!
If you got between 4 and 7 correct answers: Not bad, practice some more and you will get it!
If you got between 8 and 9 correct answers: You're on your way to the top!
If you got 10 correct answers: Woohoo! You were really paying attention!
If you got between 11 and 12 correct answers: Awesome job!
- Western Astrology 101 - Astrology.com
Beginner's guide to Western Astrology.