Andrea is a freelance writer. She writes on topics from interior design, relationships, ghosts, to anything creative. Contact her for work.
Leo + Capricorn
The thread that connects Leo and Capricorn has to do with family. Leos are natural parental figures, they’re bold, outlandish, courageous, and social. Capricorn is almost the opposite, they’re private, focused on survival, hermits, but they too make family a priority.
Leo wants to show-off, to live fully, and to prosper so that he can support and nourish a family. Capricorn is all about survival, and even sacrifice to some degree, to help future generations arise.
Leo and Capricorn can feel like a night and day difference. Leo is based in the middle of summer. Capricorn is the beginning of winter. Leo moves quickly, asserts himself, and is a doer. Capricorn moves in a calculated manner, she’s resourceful, cunning, and shrewd. Where Leo starts projects, Capricorn finishes it. Where Leo is robust and magnetic, Capricorn is reserved and introspective.
Leo may come off too showy for Capricorn’s tastes, and Capricorn may come off too conservative and reserved for Leo. He wants to go everywhere and explore everything; she wants to survive, so she holds back and plots her way to make it through winter. These two come from such different perspectives that it can clash.
But on the bright side:
Leo can draw a Capricorn out of her shell. He can encourage her to show more of her thoughts, brilliance, and creativity. Leo can rely on Capricorn to help make solid plans, to be resourceful, to be good with children — a quality that is a priority for many Leos.
Capricorn can help Leo to slow down and to think more methodically. Capricorn can encourage the Leo to be more diligent, to see around corners, and to think more about retirement, old age, and longevity. Capricorn can help Leo to see beyond appearances.
Do Leo and Capricorn work well together?
All Zodiac combinations can work well together. It's a matter of understanding the recipe, what each person brings to the table, and overcoming those gaps. There is no such thing as a perfect combination or an imperfect combination. No zodiac combination is guaranteed for marriage nor for divorce. Again, it's about understanding the dynamics at play and how to best use those strengths and weaknesses after a relationship or courtship has formed. Some relationships are like an easy to follow cake recipe, while others are more like tiramisu.
Leo and Capricorn are no exception. They are different from each other, but they have certain core similarities that cause them to attract to each other in the first place, namely that they have a desire to raise a family or help future generations to survive.
Capricorn is a hermit, but they do find themselves in relationships. Their earth nature actually draws them to have relationships, particular with those who are part of their select group of relatives and friends. Earth qualities relate to practicalities, money, long term strategies, and physical manifestations. They tend to work well with their hands, make for good cooks, and often show love through acts of service and gifts.
Leo likes to be the center of attention, but their pride and joy is having a family. A lot of Leos want kids, and lots of kids — that or they tend to be obsessed with ambition. Their concentrated fire nature causes them to: want to get things started, start up conversations, be active in the real world, follow their dreams, exude ambition, and harbor passion. Leos make for great leaders, storytellers, and are all around lively people. They don’t want to waste life by sitting back all day. They want to live, so this could come in conflict with Capricorn who can isolate themselves and hide in order to survive.
Leo is more likely to be a spender while Capricorn is a saver financially. Leo wants to chase after romance, Capricorn wants some normalcy. Capricorn teaches by looking at what is practical, sane, in grasp, and manageable. Capricorns will look for someone who can help them establish a steady life and fit into their family views. Capricorns can be ritualistic, dogmatic, and somewhat aloof.
Leo has passion on the mind almost constantly. This can be appealing to Capricorn who is sensual. Leo just has to be loyal and into monogamy. Where Leo is a dreamer, Capricorn is down to earth. Where Leo wants to show-off, Capricorn wants to observe.
This can be good. Capricorn will be a great audience for Leo. And Leo will be a great show for Capricorn.
Focus on building stronger communication techniques
This pair will have to compromise and evaluate what is best depending on the situation. Sometimes Leo wants more while Capricorn wants less. There are times and places that both of these strategies are necessary. Leo can’t always run into situations at 150%. Capricorn can’t always get away with 15% energy.
If this pair can understand that the person next to them operates in a completely different way, and to anticipate their needs, they can survive the long haul. They are not mirrors of each other; they are opposites. It will take time to learn how to share spaces and what works best. The pair communicates in different ways where Capricorn shows love through acts, Leo shows love through touch and often compliments. They need to learn each other’s love language -- they’ll need to focus on communication.
Leo will turn to a Capricorn if they’re looking for something steady. They may want a better home life or a good mate for their kids. Leos don’t always find it easy to setup a home or take care of those more practical things, but by finding a mate who is good at those things, then they can naturally depend on them and get some of what they want.
Capricorn will find a Leo entertaining. They’ll be amused and want to keep that spark, that warmth, to survive the harsh cold reality with which they feel surrounded by. Capricorns are doing what they can to survive the harshness of life, which means sometimes they want a partner who is more lighthearted, someone who can bring a spark into the room, someone who will be responsible but still lively. There isn’t really a sign that’s more lively than a Leo. In Capricorn's eyes, Leo is someone helpful that keeps the dreariness at bay.
Tips for This Couple
- Don’t make impulsive decisions. Leo in particular needs to think before he speaks. Leo and Capricorn both need to confide in each other before making a decision. Get each other’s input. Be willing to compromise. Remember: you’ll come to the best decision by both putting in your thoughts and input.
- Leo: don’t make too big of a deal out of things. You like drama! Try to put your ambition and fire for life in the right direction. You can annoy Capricorn by making a bigger deal out of things than necessary. You should evaluate your priorities. Watch your emotions because they can get the best of you.
- Capricorn: it’s okay to live a little. Don’t always focus on the retirement fund. It’s okay to spend a little. It’s actually wise for you to have a side hustle or second stream of income so you feel better about money. You're with a Leo, so you will burn through some money. Know how you can earn more, so you save and spend more. Don’t put your Leo on too short of a leash or a budget. Constraining the Leo too much will backfire.
- Oddly enough, this couple can avoid a lot of arguments if they temper their temperaments correctly. Leo needs to hold back on the drama, and Capricorn needs to be more vulnerable. Leo can be an excellent, empathetic listener. Capricorn can be great at solving problems and taking a practical approach. Do not demand something that doesn’t really exist in your person’s personality.
- Capricorns naturally draw to ideas, and Leos naturally draw to people. Sometimes the two of you may have to spend time apart in order for the other person to recharge their batteries. For some Capricorns, spending time with lots of people can be taxing. For some Leos, spending time alone can be taxing. It’s okay if you need to spend time in different ways without each other to get re-energized.
- Continue doing romantic gestures despite how long you have known each other. It’s all too easy to take someone for granted. Instead find ways to incorporate simple acts of love to keep the fire alive.
- Leo does well to try new things; Capricorn does well to try familiar things.
- Have secret signals and code words to communicate with each other, so others do not know what is going on. This will be helpful if you need to leave a party, talk about something privately, or flirt.
- Capricorn has strengths in: organization, managing items, budgeting, and staying on top of tasks.
- Leo has strengths in: getting things started, making things happen, inspiring others, and getting the wheels in motion.
It's relationship physics. Leo causes momentum; Capricorn causes steady traction. Leo can't both start and process information. Leo will prefer to start and get things moving. He gets the particles active. Capricorn can't both start and process information. Capricorn prefers to process information. Capricorn organizes chaos while Leo starts it.
Leo and Capricorn at a Quick Glance
Middle of Summer
Beginning of Winter
July 23 and August 22
December 21 to January 21
Free-Will, Ambition, Desire
Senses, Practicality, Physical Manifestations
Orange, Red, Gold
Gray, Navy Blue, Subdued Colors
House of Cards
Yin or Yang
Leader or Manager
The Nemean lion was a vicious monster in Greek mythology that lived at Nemea. It was eventually killed by Heracles. It could not be killed with mortals' weapons because its golden fur was impervious to attack. Its claws were sharper than mortals' swords and could cut through any armor.
Amalthea, the goat that suckled the infant Zeus after his mother, Rhea, saved him from being devoured by his father, Cronos. Amalthea's broken horn was transformed into the cornucopia or "horn of plenty."
Grains, proteins, spicy foods
Salad, fresh fruits and vegetables, lean protein, fish, eggs, whole-grain breads
Showy, courageous, bold, loud, boisterious, commanding, diverse, champion of people, social kings and queens, vibrant, powerful, compelling
Reserved, smart, diligent, patient, observant, resourceful, sneaky, calculated, hermit-like, conservative
Boredom, the mundane, tedium, lackluster, inconsiderate acts, hurting the little guy
Spending too much, living too wildly, living unrestrained, chaos, not following rules, creating problems, time wasting activities, lack of progress, lack of stability