Andrea is a freelance writer who has worked with HubPages for 8+ years. If you're interested in working with her, contact her now.
Understanding the Chaos That Is Aquarius
Aquarius is a fantastic sign. They're known for their intelligence, their utopian ideals, their beauty, their whimsy, and their abstract ways.
The fixed air sign is powerful and wonderful, but as with any sign they have their struggles. Most of the Aquarian struggle has to do with misconception.
They want to have friends and they want to amount to something. They feel a certain wild energy in them, and they're rebellious: this means they don't always feel like they fit in with the crowd.
This revolutionary sign is all about progress. They have some of the most liberal views of the zodiac. They can feel threatened and out of place around people who are far more conservative than them. They have a strong need to be expressive and smart. They fear they are unintelligent.
40 Common Struggles for Aquarius
1. Aloof. The Aquarius most likely doesn't even know that people consider them as aloof. They're jumping from one context to the next with lightning speed, and they don't realize they're leaving people behind. Aquarius is still decisive and stubborn, so they still show up and will get stuff done, but they have a tendency to leave people in the dust. They don't always share what's on their hearts and minds.
2. Misunderstood. When you have the capacity to be a genius or revolutionary, people don't always really connect with you or understand you. This is the unfortunate part about being a leader, you're not a follower (duh).
Aquarius types will have to go through parts of their lives trying to fit in, and in some cases they're going to suck at it. They're often misunderstood when they try to blend.
Aquarius also has a lot of thoughts and ideas, and it takes someone astute or understanding to really connect with those ideas -- especially with a young Aquarius who is in the early stages of learning how to communicate.
3. Emotionally distant. It's a misconception that Aquarius types don't have emotions. They just have really good self-control and self-monitoring.
They can be so fiercely in their heads and can solider through just about anything that they're pretty good about masking their emotions. Aquarius types have a really good poker face if they want to have a poker face.
In fact, they can be emotionally loud -- even if they are air they are the water bearers: they know how to spread the water and make ripples. Aquarius is emotionally diverse, one of the most emotionally diverse of the zodiac. They're focused on the future and want a better planet. Sometimes Aquarius clicks better with Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces than it's air cousins.
Aquarius and Pisces do share a role in bringing all of us to the next celestial plane, so it would make sense that they have a strong bond.
4. Stubborn. As a fixed sign, Aquarius has a hard time changing its mind. Once Aquarius has decided on a path, they will do everything in their will to make it happen. They'll have to learn some malleability as they get older and that sometimes they are on the losing side.
Aquarius types don't realize they're stubborn most of the time. They can be subtle about how stubborn and competitive they are, and they can hide it because they have a plethora of stamina. They don't have to win immediately: they just have to lock onto their goal.
5. Anxiety. When you have a great deal of air, you also are more prone to anxiety. The air signs all have internal monologue and racing thoughts. They constantly are trying to think their way through life. When that internal monologue becomes sour or too much to handle it can translate into anxiety.
Aquarius has to master their racing thoughts and be at peace; otherwise, the dark side of their psyche will get to them. It's important to nudge your thoughts in the right direction and be direct with your thought stream.
6. Impostor syndrome. A genius doesn't really think they're smart; a fool applauds their own thoughts.
- A genius is aware of the probability of where they are wrong.
- An Aquarius may know they have brains, but they're worried they'll make a blunder.
- They have awareness of the self which causes them to wonder if they're actually fooling people with their minds.
- They're not really sure they're as smart as people believe.
- They wonder if they have led people to think they're smart when they're actually mediocre or ill-equipped.
- They're not really sure what kind of growth people want out of them or what kind of potential they have.
7. Paranoia. Sleep paralysis, fear, chaos, and anxiety all kind of reign on high for an Aquarius, especially when they're young or if they were raised in a religious family. Until Aquarius has really stamped out its thoughts and has promptly defeated their demons, they live in a constant battle that translates into nightmares.
Aquarius types are prone to sleep paralysis in part because they have bad sleep practices. They stay up late to think, and then they get up early to go to work or school.
8. Depression. Aquarius needs to be different. They need to have room to grow. They don't do well in a world bent on mediocrity, beige walls, and cube shaped buildings. This is a bright and powerful sign, but society often tries to bully them into complacency, submission, and fitting in like everybody else. When an Aquarius has to forfeit its unique personality it will inevitably turn into depression. Aquarius needs a place where they feel they belong. They're not meant to assimilate.
9. Awkwardness. The Aquarius is a social chameleon. They'll eventually learn the charisma to fit into any situation, or at least fit into a situation at the level of their own comfortability.
The Aquarius first has to be awkward to figure out how to be charismatic. This sign will absorb as much as it possibly can from others, observing their every interaction, and watching television and movies to figure out how people function with each other.
Aquarius in their youth may be very awkward; they may continue to be very awkward as adults if they so chose. But they also could mature into social masters. Aquarius teens are really strange.
These sentences were awkward. I'm sorry.
10. Weirdness. An Aquarius will most likely be called weird growing up. They're going to do something that doesn't fit the social norms or the supposed conditions they're supposed to find normal.
Aquarius will be called out for something and likely mocked over the most trivial thing. This sign is independent and wants to do things their way, they'll beat to the sounds of their own harpsichord, and they'll fight for things with their two ankles.
All their inner brightness, stubbornness, genius, and idealism will come together to look weird to others. Consider it an Ace card rather than a poor hand.
11. Lost in their own world. The Aquarius likes to escape reality and live in a kind of fiction. They want some fantasy. They want something exciting. They can zone out and live inside their own head creating beautiful stories, images, and the like. They have beautiful imaginations, but when you're always living inside your head you don't always get things done.
The Aquarius detests the mundane which can include anything from filing property taxes to getting an oil change. They have to teach themselves how to make the most boring things interesting, which they do have that gift.
12. Queen know-it-all. Don't get too upset about this if you're an Aquarius. You have a great brain, you've filled it up with wisdom, knowledge, and trivia. The people around you have noticed, and some of them are annoyed with you or are jealously of your natural talent to pick things up and absorb them.
You can sometimes come off as the insufferable know-it-all who likes to solicit advice for any cause. Instead, keep quiet and let people live their lives. Watch people's facial reactions and the timing of things closely to see if you're coming off amicable or as a pest.
13. Moody. Because the Aquarius can jump from context to context with lightning speed they can emotionally recover really fast. Maybe 15 minutes. This can be challenging for others who don't go through a patchwork of emotions so quickly and precisely. They may not understand your emotional quirks and how the heck you do that. They may not find you genuine because you emotionally process so freakin' fast.
14. Struggles with money. As the fixed air sign, Aquarius is the opposite of earth signs. Aquarius likes the abstract and isn't always grounded. They don't always have the best ideas when it comes to money. They find some disciplines with finances incredibly boring. They're also not a super serious type.
They're forward thinking people and have more brain power for virtue, progress, social change, creativity, and thought creation. Counting money is a little laborious for them. They also get excited and impulsively buy something. They need more conservative and grounded tactics to protect their funds.
15. Troubles staying clean. Chores are another thing that Aquarius types often find boring and taking away from other things they would rather be doing.
Maybe they threatened their parents when they were little that they would hire a maid, so they wouldn't have to clean.
Aquarius has to make time for physical reality and to put in effort to mop the floors, wash the dishes, do the laundry, and clean out the gunk.
Aquarius CAN be good at cleaning, but they have to apply themselves. They're more likely to focus on getting creative tasks done like writing short stories, learning a language, or learning a new instrument.
16. Too many talents unsure where to focus. At some point, Aquarius will have many talents and hobbies that they like, but they don't have enough time to nourish all of them. This can be frustrating for Aquarius who wants to perfect several talents all at once.
It can be challenging to pick which abilities they want to grow and which ones they'll have to put on pause -- or let atrophy. There just isn't enough time in a day to allow for an Aquarius to do all the things they want, and so they sacrifice sleep which then turns into paranoia...
17. They can either be reclusive and not date or be all over the place with dating. Aquarius is the kind that believes in a soul mate and will pine for someone with all the power of unrequited love. They can be very passionate about their crush without ever really having any forward motion.
They can also eschew this idea of a soul mate and wildly take on as many partners as possible and get lost in a whirlwind of parties and absurdities. They have a tough time balancing out their romantic desires. Eventually if they stay hopeful they'll connect with someone and be done and over with this whole cycle of trying to find someone or themselves.
18. They hate office jobs. It's not just office jobs, but any job that is repetitive and constraining. They hate having to assimilate. It really takes the energy out of them. They hate office politics, they hate how mean people are to each other, and they hate having to waste time on a job that feels kind of pointless. You should rebel against this because we are in the age of the Internet. It's easier now than ever to be your own boss or work in freelance. You don't have to put up with that boss who is most definitely dumber than you.
19. Plenty of social acquaintances but worries they don't have close friends. You get along with everybody but you also feel like you're not close to anyone. You don't feel like you're a first choice for anybody. You get invited to a lot of weddings, but you're never part of the bridal party. You're often called up for a group setting, but you're friends also often leave you out of events. You get relegated out of close, tight nit circles -- and you're not really sure why.
20. Constantly feeling like you should be doing something. There is this hanging sword over the Aquarius head: you haven't done enough.
They worry they didn't write enough on their exam. They worry they haven't done a strong enough argument. They give 150% and then some because they're worried they just haven't done enough. They are constantly thinking about what they should do next; they're chasing after the wind to try and fill a void. They want experiences and forward momentum, and they'll do what it takes to feel like they're getting somewhere.
They're worried they'll be told they're wrong.
21. Hyperactive. With a little caffeine, you become a magical zooming fairy capable of accomplishing anything.
- You have an incredible mind and because of this you have a great deal of energy.
- You can literally burst through a wall if you so desire.
- You may have gotten in trouble when you were a kid for being demonstrative, showy, too much, annoying, or funny.
- You have so much energy, and as an adult when people say they wish they had the energy when they were young -- you're just sitting there pretending that you don't. You're aware of the chaotic energy inside you.
22. Arguing until the end of time. It is really stupid for someone to argue with an Aquarius. They have the stamina to continue arguing indefinitely. They'll sacrifice their sleep if they need to make their point. They never stop thinking. They could write a novel in a week.
Even worse, they gain more knowledge while they talk to you. They have epiphanies mid-conversation. They will absorb everything you're saying and figure out what is the objective truth. They enjoy being argument detectives. The only reasons they don't get into long tirades is because (1) it might not be the best use of their time and (2) because they don't want to bother with a long conversation that could jeopardize their friendship.
23. Quiet for the sake of not harming the friendship. The Aquarius type worries that if they bother you too much, you won't like them anymore. They literally pause friendships for this reason. They may stop contacting you and hoping you'll contact them. They freeze things because they think it is the sane choice and will help maintain the friendship. They don't want to harm a connection.
24. Social media addiction. Aquarius loves to watch people. They can jump into an argument and write a precise rebuttal to some insane person who believes in a conspiracy theory.
They can literally waste their lives on social media when they could be doing better things with their time. An Aquarius needs to teach themselves that social media is idle play. They should focus more on their chores and finances instead. Meet friends in person or pick up the phone. Social media is a weak way to maintain bonds.
25. Overly critical. Aquarius can precisely analyze what is going on around them and what is wrong. They can give impeccable feedback. They know exactly how to rewrite a bad short story. They're very good at troubleshooting things around them, but they can also put their foot in the mouth if they're too critical. They need to be careful about passing judgment. They don't want to overwhelm people with salt. They need to figure out how to gingerly tell people things that they do need to hear.
They don't always need to be sharp like a knife. Sometimes they must learn how to use the sword to defend themselves and others.
26. Overly defensive. Sometimes the Aquarius cannot take negative feedback. They'll defend themselves and come up with excuses for their negligible behavior. They can come up with a beautiful excuse in seconds because they're smart. They may on the surface take ownership for something, but below the surface they're seething.
27. Giving up when no longer feeling passionate. Aquarius has to feel they really love something, or they give up on it. If they don't like a particular subject or it seems too hard, and they don't have good support then they'll toss something out and look for something else. There is some wisdom in knowing when it is time to quit, but don't quit too early.
28. Overwhelmed. When you have a pile of thoughts that must be processed, when you have a pile of tasks that must be done, and when you have a pile of dreams that need momentum -- it can all get overwhelming rather quickly.
Aquarius and her constant need to accomplish and be on the "go" button can overwhelm her circuits. She doesn't always need to do everything at a "best" level. She may be trying too hard. Fortunately, the Aquarius is open-minded and willing to relax. Aquarius doesn't always have to be performing; they can take a nap.
29. Nonsensical. They may show up one day in a dress with bells on it. They may spend their money to make pigs fly over New York City. The Aquarius may speak in riddles, leave behind little golden treasures in cups, or wear mismatched earrings.
They have a deep love of the weird. They may make some very odd and spectacular choices. They may seem like a character that has somehow escaped Dr. Seuss' mind.
Just be careful. People might regulate you into the not-serious pile.
30. Always needing to look gorgeous. Look, Aquarius types are for the most part naturally beautiful. They take a lot of pride in their locks, their poised hands, and anything else that the genetic lottery has bestowed them.
The Aquarius wants to look good and be attractive. They may waste time trying to find the perfect fitting hat, getting the absolute correct shade of lipstick, and the finest curl. They want to look like they were born from a star, not planet Earth. They want to shine bright like a diamond, and sometimes there just isn't time for this. Sometimes they need to just wear their old sneakers and go buy milk. Not every day is meant to be outstanding.
31. Rebel without a cause. Aquarius wants to be different. They want to amaze. They want to start a revolution, so they can be a bit of a rebel. When they don't know where to go they can be destructive and disruptive. They want to rebel against stupidity, they want to rebel against Karens, they want to rebel against traditions. Aquarius wants to make change, but their desire to make change isn't always welcome.
32. Usurping power. Okay, so if you're a rebel your end game is to usurp power in some form. Maybe you hated your teacher and the way she so painfully lead the classroom. Maybe your boss is a tyrant who is a conservative nut job. You have enemies because there are awful people on this planet. You want to change the power structure -- and often for good reasons. You just have to think carefully about usurping power because that could mean you want to be a boss -- but do you really? That could eat up your time.
33. Procrastination. You know you have important things to do. You know you should write those thank you card. But you do everything in your power to delay what doesn't have to immediately be done.
You should schedule things out. You should use a calendar. You can't always be a leader and trying to make big sweeping changes. Sometimes you have to be an organizer and the manager of your keep.
34. Dreaming but never living. It does not bode well to constantly be dreaming but never living. You should strive to engage in reality and make your dreams come true.
Don't always hide in your amazing imagination. Don't let life sneak by without you making some impact. Don't sleep your life away.
35. Laughing too much. Genius people get humor. They like to laugh. They find many things funny, but sometimes when you laugh too much people take offense. Make sure you're in the right crowd when you relax and let out your laughs. Sure, some people find laughter attractive. Other people are insecure and think you're making fun of them. (Watch your wit.)
36. Self-righteousness. When you are smart, you can get very passionate about your ideas. You may feel that your way is the truth and the only truth. You can become fixated on what is correct for society and what is wrong. You can come off high and mighty. Fortunately, you're open-minded. You like ideas and absorbing new information. You're compassionate and have a backbone made of the finest material: empathy.
You can take on new ideas. You're willing to learn where you are wrong. You can find grace. So be careful not to become too obsessed with your viewpoint.
37. Unpredictable. You're a lot of a person. You have any number of strengths and weaknesses. People are not necessarily sure what version of you will come into play at any point. This can cause people to not know whether or not they can depend on you.
They're not really sure you're stable. They're scared of you because you're immense.
38. Unforgiving. Probably the hardest part of being an Aquarius is that you have a high capacity for memory. You don't really let things go. You have salvaged your memory. You hold grudges. You even hold grudges against yourself. It's hard for you to learn how to really forgive someone. You like boundaries. You don't mind putting up walls between you and an accuser. You can get really stuck on a point of time and fret over a grievance.
39. Constant need for stimulation. This may seem repetitive overall, but you don't do well with the milquetoast.
- You require color in your world.
- You require randomness, unpredictability, strangeness, uniqueness, the new, the unprecedented, and the novel.
- You have a hard time sitting still, especially in your mind. You are constantly on the go in your head.
- You tune out of boring things.
- You don't like to process boring things.
- Everything must have a point of stimulation or it's not really very important to you.
40. Self-centered. Due to the high need for stimulation, you don't always see why something is important to others. You can mock something that others find noble and true or worth their time.
You may really dislike football but that doesn't mean you need to tell football fans they're wrong.
The world doesn't revolve around you. Progress and the utopian ideal doesn't happen just because of you. You need to see yourself as simple and mortal. You're not THAT important. All fixed signs have this problem.