Ansel is curious about other cultures and enjoys discussing philosophy and debating various beliefs and superstitions.
Eye twitch is rather common and often felt on the eyelid or surrounding areas of the eye. While there are a number of reasons why eye twitch may occur, in most cases eye twitch could be due to slight muscle spasms around the eyelid which may be caused due to muscle fatigue in surrounding areas or because of a prevalent medical condition such as Blepharospasm, which is characterized by abnormal blinking or spasms. Even though medical terminology and explanation backing involuntary muscle twitches is vast, superstition in regard with eye twitch continues to scale new heights. When the eye jumps we do not pay much heed. However, deep in our mind lurk questions that associate our eye twitch with some sort of belief or superstition.
Superstition History of Left Eye Twitching
In Ancient China complex forms of superstition and fortune-telling were based upon muscle twitches on different parts of the body, many of which are exceedingly popular even today. A number of superstitious beliefs associated with omens as a good sign and bad sign find their roots in age old African and Chinese culture. While beliefs in various cultures vary, many complex forms of superstition are similar.
In Norse Mythology twitches on the body and left eye were considered sacred, a sign of prosperity. In Ancient Greece when a person felt a sensation or twitch on their eye or any other part of the body, that person would spit and keep a cactus outside their home to ward off evil spirits associated with the evil eye. Ancient Egyptians were known for their rituals and beliefs associated with eye jumping. Twitch on different parts of the body or eye were used as a sign by fortune tellers to predict and tell events happening in the future.
Superstition About Eye Twitching: Beliefs and Legends
Superstition about eye twitching is not new. Different versions of age-old-legends, beliefs, and theories are associated with left eye and right twitch. Twitching of the left eye is considered bad luck or a bad omen in many European cultures; however, in many Asian cultures the same is considered a sign of good luck and prosperity, a good omen. In the same vein right eye jumping too is embroiled in legends and beliefs in different cultures.
In ancient China, left eye twitching was given significant importance and considered a sacred sign or evil sign depending on the time of day eye twitch occurred. In ancient Chinese belief the hours of the day were associated with the Zodiac. Although the realms of understanding eye twitch have changed in present times, many modern cultures are yet embroiled in belief and superstition about left eye twitch. Many superstitions have supernatural and religious undertones that may explain or suggest why different forms of superstition persist.
Certain beliefs, signs and superstitions are associated with left eye twitch which bring alive a spectrum of perspectives.
When a Woman’s Left Eye Twitches
- She will bring good fortune to her community
- A person in her family is feeling burdened or broken-hearted
- Peace will prevail in her family associated with an issue where there is turmoil
- Someone in her family will ask forgiveness
- Her family members who have had a fight will reconcile
When a Man’s Left Eye Twitches
- He is likely to find the truth about an unknown past associated with his family
- He will sense an association with betrayal
- He will help solve a problem, more so a money issue
- He will calm the wrath of members in his family
- He may distance himself from certain family members
Questions of Possibility Associated with Superstition
While rational thinkers are quick to dismiss superstition, the mind manifests in strange ways, and deep inside lurk the questions of possibility. The ‘What if’ question gets vivid in the mind when belief is not distinguished from superstition. Family superstitions in regard with eye twitch are considered belief in various traditions. Mythological superstitions related to muscle spasms have been passed on from generations and the aura surrounding the actual medical condition have been overshadowed by blind belief.
In certain parts of the world, superstitions and beliefs associated with left eye twitching is based upon gender and the time of day eye twitch occurs. While it may sound strange in this digital age, its true superstitions and ancient beliefs about eye twitch are popular even today in several Asian, European, Hawaiian and African cultures. In many cultures left eye twitching is considered auspicious; while in some cultures it is considered as a bad sign or inauspicious.
The list below showcases a collection of left eye twitching superstitions. If you have a view, opinion, or suggestion, let us know in the comments section.
Good Omen- When Left Eye Twitching Occurs…Belief Is
- You Will Take the Right Decisions
- Good luck is by your side.
- You will soon be receiving money.
- You will be able to convince people
- You will succumb to your heart’s desire.
- Somebody is going to share good news with you, usually associated with a baby being born.
- Your worries will leave you.
- You will Buy Something Expensive.
- You will be able to avail and repay a large loan
- A stranger will come into your life bringing you joy and happiness.
- You will bring a sense of calm to others.
- You will soon be married.
- Your chances of winning a jackpot or lottery are relatively high
- You will meet your soulmate.
- You will handle difficult situations well and become a responsible person.
- You will be tactful and analyze in accordance with the situation faced.
- There will be a feast and celebration soon, often associated with achievement.
- All your plans will be carried out smoothly.
- You will be invited to meet individuals of high authority.
- You will delegate responsibility to others.
- You will be calm and patient in the future.
Bad Omen- When Left Eye Twitching Occurs…Belief Is
- You will take decisions you regret
- A close associate or family member is talking about you or gossiping.
- An uninvited guest will come over and stay with you and affect your life in a bad way.
- You are likely to seek refuge by drinking alcohol to ease your troubles
- A death may occur in the family.
- You are likely to lose your job in the near future.
- You will get into an argument with a family member or friend that would lead to severed ties.
- You will shed tears and sorrow will spread its wings over you.
- You are going to suffer a huge loss in regard with money, usually associated with finances and business.
- You will be plagued with negative emotions.
- You will lose confidence in yourself.
- Your relationship will face stormy weather, marriage may end.
- You will dwell in disharmony and turmoil.
- Your past secrets will be revealed.
- Someone at your workplace will ruin your chances of a promotion.
- Your plans will be ruined by the person you dislike.
- You will be in the midst of conspiracy.
- You will lose a large sum of money.
- Someone is planning and plotting against you.
- Friends and family will not trust you.
- You will run into debt.
What is Eye Twitching?
In medical terms eye twitching is associated with eye muscle spasm. Muscle contraction around the eyelids cause eye twitch. Though the slight flutter or sensation on the eyelid or around the eyelid is not something you should worry about, you should consult a doctor if twitches occur frequently. Eye twitching may also occur due to vitamin deficiency, hormonal changes, stress, insufficient sleep, constant exposure to environmental pollutants, excess caffeine consumption, eye problems, and excess alcohol consumption. Eye twitch may also arise from consumption of prescription drugs taken for a medical condition.
Let it be known, superstition and superstitious beliefs are sown, from generation to generation, from mind to mind. Do not let it seep in.
Are you superstitious?
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
© 2018 Ansel Pereira