- Understanding God the Father's Love for Us
It is very important to know who God the Father is, his nature and the lack of understanding that can affect our lives tremendously. Take a look at this Hub that will change your life.
If someone ask you to tell them the most significant things in the Old Testament, what are some things you can relate to the individual. I have found that It is very sad to be around Christians who say they know the Lord for 20-30 years, yet they do not know the basic facts in the Old Testament. I have seen many other religions who has schooled their believers very well in their teachings. Christians need to read their Bibles, believe it and be prepared to answer questions that come their way.
1. The Creation Story- details of every day.
2. First Marriage & details of the Fall of Man- Adam and Eve
3. The Ten Commandments that God gave to Moses to present to the people.- Have you committed to memory all ten commandments?
4. . Godly encounters of Men and Women of God- Abraham, Hagar, Jacob, Moses and the Burning Bush, Solomon, etc.
5. The 12 Tribes of Israel- Reuben, Simeon, Levi, Judah, Dan, Naphtali, Gad, Asher, Issachar, Zebulun, Joseph and Benjamin.
6. The Plagues that were inflicted on the Pharaoh and Egypt- blood on the river Nile, frogs, lices, flies, boils, hail, locust, darkness and the firstborn will die. This shows the power of God.
7. Understand the different Feasts of the Lord
There are 7 feasts - Passover, Feast of Unleavened Bread, Firstfruits, Feast of Weeks, Feast of Trumpets, Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement) and Feast of Tabernacles. It is vital to know the meaning and purpose.
Some Christians may think it, what's the purpose, it's part of the law in the old testament, which I disagree with. Today Messianic Jews still celebrate the feasts and should be followed in Christian congregations across the world. Each feast has signifcant new testament meaning, that were a shadow of things to come in Christ.
There are deep meanings within the feasts in the Old Testament. It signifies Jesus as the Passover Lamb, forgiveness of sins, the cross of Jesus, sanctification, reconciliation with God and the regin of Christ.
8. Forbidden Foods and Foods Permitted in the Bible- Leviticus 11- Some nutritionists today would agree.
9. Covenants in the Bible- Abrahamic Covenant, Mosaic Covenant, Davidic covenant, God's covenant with Noah and God's covenant with Israel.
10. The Work of the Holy Spirit in the Old Testament- The Spirit of God in Creation, God's Spirit on 70 elders, God's spirit on Azariah word to Asa (II Chron. 15:1), Jahaziel, a Levite prophesying (II Chron. 20:15), Spirit of God came on Samuel- prophesying, The Spirit of God on Samson.
11. Judges in the Bible- Who were they?
12. Kings in the Bible- Christians should know the kings in the bible, the righteous kings, the wicked kings, their mothers, fathers, their wives, their children, those who had influence in these kings lives, seers and prophets during their reign, knowledge of a few things they did, whether it was good or bad, their prayers, the battles and victories and how they died.
13. Minor Prophets, Major Prophets and Seers, False Prophets during Kings reign- Isaiah, Jeremiah, Hosea, Amos, Micah and Zephaniah. Jehu and Hanani are seers.
14. Fasts in the Old Testament- Who Fasted and the reasons they fasted- Moses fasted, Israel fasted because they sinned (I Samuel 7: 5-6), the people of Nineveh fasted, Daniel Fasted, Esther Fasted, Joel called for a fast,
15. Mighty Acts in the Old Testament- People of Israel delivered from Egyptians, Parting of Red Sea, Raining Bread from Heaven, Water from the Rock, Israel Crossing Jordon, Jericho March and Jericho walls fall down, David and Goliath.
16. Miraculous Resurrection - Widow’s Son at Zarephath raised back to life, Shunnamite son’s also raised to life and Elisha’s bones revive the dead.
17. Healings in the Old Testament- King Abimelech healed, Hezekiah healed, Naamed cured of leprosy, Sarah, Hannah, Samson's mother (Manoah) healed of barrenness.
18. Unbelievable, but Awesome Events- Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego in the burning fiery furnace, Daniel in the lion's den and Samson tearing apart the lion.
19. The 7 things the Lord hates- a proud look, lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, a false witness who speaks lies and he who sows discord among the brethen. (Prov. 6:17)
20. Prophecies in the Old Testament about the Messiah- Psalm 22, Isaiah 53, Micah 5:1-2, Zechariah 11:12-13, 13:17.
- Awesome Bible Reading Challenges: To Motivate more S...
Here are some bible reading challenges that will help us not only read the Word more, and also teach us the importance of allowing the Word to change us, help us, and draw us to a powerful relationship with God.
- 40 Incidents of the Holy Spirit in the Bible
The Holy Spirit was not only present in the New Testament during Jesus ministry and after He was risen, but also throughout the entire Bible among great men of God.
- 20 Questions Every Christian Should Be Prepared to Answer from Non-Christians
Christians should be always be prepared to defend the faith and answer the questions of unbelievers when the opportunity arises. Here are twenty questions they should always know the answer to.
- 20 Angelic Visitations and Encounters in the Bible
Who are angels? The Bible is filled with many common people who had experience with angels from the Lord. Why did they needed an angel at that time? Taks a look.
- 20 Things Christians should Know about the New Testament in the Bible
The Bible is a wonderful book. Here are some basic facts every Christian should know and need to know about the New Testament of the Bible.
- 10 Things to Learn about Leaders from the Old Testament
The Old Testament is a wonderful part of the Bible to study. It has many deep truths. Here are some great principles about leaders from the Old Testament.
- 20 Facts Every Christian Should Know about the Gospels of the Bible
Pennington (author) on March 01, 2013:
Okay then. Thanks for clarifying this. No, I am not Jew. I was part of a messianic congregation that's open to all and it is there that I learned the significance of the feasts and they celebrate it yearly. The food laws for me I follow moderately.
servantofgod on February 28, 2013:
I am sorry with the misunderstanding.
When I said, "Christians should still keep God's feasts today. Jesus, the apostles, and the first-century Christians kept it, why won't you?"
I made it a general question to be asked to all people not you in particular.:)
I am glad to know you keep them! WOW! It is rare for me to find people keeping God's feast and His Food Laws. Are you a Jew?
Pennington (author) on February 27, 2013:
I absolutely agree. I do keep the feasts and I see the spiritual significance of it, but I am not sure why you had the impression that I don't. I have come across Christians who believe it's in the Old Testament and do not see the value and purpose of it in today's world and I totally disagree with them. Yes, the Food Laws should be followed and not taken lightly.
servantofgod on February 26, 2013:
Christians should still keep God's feasts today. Jesus, the apostles, and the first-century Christians kept it, why won't you?
Also the Food Laws are not just suggestions. They are commandments that we should still observe them. God, who made us, knows what is best for us, thus He knows what is good for us and one of them is not eating pork.:)
Pennington (author) on January 10, 2013:
thank you so much.
elijagod from Abuja - Nigeria on January 09, 2013:
Nice and wonderful summary of the whole Old testament bible.
well done oh...
I love it !
Pennington (author) on July 12, 2012:
Thank you for your comment. You gave me an idea for another hub. The Old Testament is very important to read and study because it shows the detailed events, struggles, battles, victories of God’s people, how everything started, the laws, offerings and God’s revelation to man before coming in human flesh. It also provides the background information and also the foundation for the New Testament and helps us to more appreciate the facts of New Testament, because of we see life under the Old Covenant in the Old testament compared to a walk with God under grace.
Eric Dierker from Spring Valley, CA. U.S.A. on July 11, 2012:
This is well done. Of course we should all have a better understanding of such an important Testament, no matter our beliefs. But I would like to know "why" it is important, from a Christian Faith perspective.
teacherjoe52 on July 10, 2012:
How about connecting the plagues of Egypt with the Book of Revelation.
Connecting the sons of Ishmael to the conflict in the middle east today.
God bless you.