Skip to main content

10 Symptoms That You're a Sick Christian


The New Testament is full of passages that show us that faith can fall into fanaticism. See, for example, that Christ alerts us to countless people who consider themselves Christians for their actions, but bring empty hearts. In Matthew 7: 22-23 we read:

"Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

And in Luke 6:42 we have the wise counsel:

"Either how canst thou say to thy brother, Brother, let me pull out the mote that is in thine eye, when thou thyself beholdest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye, and then shalt thou see clearly to pull out the mote that is in thy brother’s eye."

These are just a few of the numerous warnings we receive from the Bible that real Christianity is not in this or that Temple, church or sect, but in the way we live the laws brought by Christ to us.

Therefore, pay attention if you experience one or more of the following symptoms:

  1. You vigorously deny and disdain the existence of thousands of gods from other religions, but you feel outraged when someone makes little of the existence of yours.
  2. You feel offended, diminished, and dehumanized when scientists say that people have evolved from other life forms and that we would have direct kinship with other simeos, but do not see problem with an interpretation of the bible that says that we were made from the mud and that for the mud will be back.
  3. You laugh at the polytheists, but you have no problem believing in Trinity.
  4. You become indignant when you hear the atrocities attributed to Allah in the Quran, but you do not even blink when you hear about how Christians killed in history or with the episodes of atrocities described in the Old Testament.
  5. You laugh at the Hindu belief of the humanoid gods, the Nordic vision of Valhalla, and the Greek narrative of gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated a virgin and that she gave birth to a "man-god" who died, rose again and ascended to heaven because of him.
  6. You do not miss a chance to expose small flaws in every new scientific process or theory or to disdain the method they use to date evidence of antiquity, but you do not think it wrong to believe in the dates left by Bronze Age tribesmen who claimed The world emerged a few generations before them.
  7. You believe that the entire population of this planet except those who share the same belief that you - and of course, excluding rival sects - will spend eternity in an Inferno of infinite suffering. And still considers your religion to be the most "tolerant", "loving" and "humble" of all.
  8. While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics fail to convince you of anything, a guy rolling on the floor and speaking in a "strange language" that no one understands is enough as evidence to prove that Christianity and all which he defends is true.
  9. You set 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answers to prayers. Strong evidence that praying works and that in addition to listening patiently, God also intervenes in your favor thanks to your prayers. And it assigns the remaining 99.99% failure to the Ineffability of the Divine.
  10. Your knowledge of the Bible, Christian metaphysics, and church history are much more sparse than that of many atheists, agnostics and skeptics, and yet you consider yourself a Christian.
Scroll to Continue

Related Articles