Quotations and Words for Support, Healing, and Strength
Quotes for Survivors of Domestic Violence and Abuse; A good quote can be a source of strength as we heal and grow away from an abusive situation.
I find that just the right quotation can give me encouragement and inspiration. Sometimes such words remind me of a concept I want to keep in my mind.
While I am on my journey to heal from my emotionally, verbally, and psychologically abusive husband, I am sharing what is helping me with others. This is in part for those who suffer with me, and in part for myself. I write the things I need to know, the things I need to remember, and the things I will need to reread.
If you are, or know someone who is, on the road of healing from a difficult situation that has left her or him feeling lost, afraid, timid, and confused, I hope the following quotes and words will bring you hope, courage and peace. You are not alone.
(Photo by the author, ©2011 Janienne Jennrich aka JJNW)
It's hard to look for the light when you're lost in darkness.
Quotes about Rising Above or Facing Fear - Sometimes I am afraid, but I must keep moving forward.
- Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our Light, not our Darkness, that most frightens us.
-- Marianne Williamson
- Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers
but to be fearless when facing them.
-- Rabindranath Tagore
- Choose what lies in the shadows to be a matter for discovery and adventure, rather than fear.
-- Jonathan Lockwood Huie
- The wise man in the storm prays God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear.
It is the storm within which endangers him, not the storm without.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Highly-Rated Recovery Book
You must do the things
you think you cannot do.
— Eleanor Roosevelt
Quotes about Courage - We can be brave.
- You have to accept whatever comes
and the only important thing is that you meet it with courage
and with the best that you have to give.
-- Eleanor Roosevelt
- God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.
-- Reinhold Niebuhr
- Loving is the most unmitigated and courageous act I perform in a day.
-- Mary Anne Radmacher
- Courage is contagious.
When a brave man [or woman!] takes a stand, the spines of others are often stiffened.
-- Billy Graham
- Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear.
-- Mark Twain
Courage doesn't always roar.
Sometimes courage is the quiet voice
at the end of the day saying,
"I will try again tomorrow."
— Mary Anne Radmacher
About Learning Independence - I can do this.
- A woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself.
-- Susan B. Anthony, women's activist
- You can write me down in history with hateful, twisted lies, you can tread me in this very dirt, but still, like dust, I'll rise.
-- Maya Angelou, poet, educator
- You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." You must do the thing you think you cannot do.
-- Eleanor Roosevelt, activist You Learn by Living
The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any.
— Alice Walker
Words about Lost Love - Because it is a loss, of someone we truly loved.
- I was never one to patiently pick up broken fragments and glue them together again and tell myself that the mended whole was as good as new. What is broken is broken -- and I'd rather remember it as it was at its best than mend it and see the broken places as long as I lived.
-- Margaret Mitchell
- One does not love a place the less for having suffered in it unless it has all been suffering, nothing but suffering.
He was my North, my South,
my East and West,
My working week
and Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight,
my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last forever:
I was wrong.
— W. H. Auden
Quotes about Moving On in Life - When we're ready.
- In the end these things matter most: How well did you love? How fully did you love? How deeply did you learn to let go?
- There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anais Nin
- Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching. -- Satchel Paige
- Don’t waste your time looking back for what you have lost, move on for life wasn’t meant to be traveled backwards - from SayingImages.com
- Don’t afraid to move on and start a new chapter.
We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.
— E. M. Forster
Quotations about Living Life Fully - Perhaps there is more.
- You can have it all. You just can't have it all at one time.
- When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
― Helen Keller (1880 - 1968)
- I could not, at any age, be content to take my place by the fireside and simply look on. Life was meant to be lived. Curiosity must be kept alive. One must never, for whatever reason, turn his back on life. ― Eleanor Roosevelt
- Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. ― George Bernard Shaw
We will often find compensation
if we think more of
what life has given us
and less about
what life has taken away.
— William Barclay
You are Special - Yes, you.
- No matter what age you are, or what your circumstances might be, you are special, and you still have something unique to offer. Your life, because of who you are, has meaning.
-- Barbara de Angelis
- One's life has value so long as one attributes value to the life of others, by means of love, friendship, indignation and compassion.
-- Simone de Beauvoir
- As you become more clear about who you really are, you'll be better able to decide what is best for you - the first time around.
-- Oprah Winfrey
Today you are You,
that is truer than true.
There is no one alive
who is Youer than You.
— Dr. Seuss
Please Speak Up Against Domestic Cruelty
"If the numbers we see
in domestic violence were applied to terrorism or gang violence,
the entire country would be up in arms, and it would be the lead story on the news every night."
— Rep. Mark Green
Please see the other pages in my series on my escape and healing from spousal abuse by searching JJNW on HubPages.com Thank you.
Say No More to Domestic Violence
Kindly leave a note. - Thank you for your time and interest.
Larry Rankin from Oklahoma on June 22, 2017:
Wonderful and significant.
blestman lm on March 12, 2014:
My wife was the victim of domestic abuse. Her ex was very controlling. She wrote and published a "fiction" book about it that is on Amazon.com When we first got married I took a lot of hits that should have gone to him. She is delightfully healed much of that.We have a deeper marriage now but it took a lot to get us here.
itsgigimarie on November 26, 2013:
As a survivor myself it has taken me years to cope as my ex has continued on with his wife to be abusive, but I have taken back the power and am now going to be a key speaker for a benefit to raise awareness! Love the positive quotes and affirmations! Very important for healing!
anonymous on January 29, 2013:
I created a FB page called "Enough is Enough" to raise awareness on Domestic Violence. We post stats, pictures, quotes and new info. Please check out the page.
anonymous on January 27, 2013:
Thank you so much!!!!! I am literally crying reading this.. I just left an extremely abusive relashionship in may... My sons father and I am having a really hard time coping and functioning lately.. Thank you do much.
anonymous on January 20, 2013:
I'm a survivor of 19 years of every sense of abuse. I'm thankful I found the courage to finally leave him. It's been 8 years, I have worked on myself and feel I have come a long way. I'm thankful I am not full of bitterness and hate. Thank you for these quotes, they are a sense of encouragement and strength. Much love. For anyone still in abusive relationships...get out as soon as you can. There is support.
anonymous on January 09, 2013:
@jenni39: Life for you right now is so uneasy because of what is to come.. I have been in your shoes with my four kids and yes it is hard but once you set a boundary and not allow this man to run your life in time it will be all worth it. Just hold your ground. God bless
anonymous on January 09, 2013:
I am a survivor of 28 years of physical, mental and financial abuse. I finally escaped, though the scars my kids and I bear will take a long time to heal. These words mean a lot to me everyone needs to keep there resilience, strength and love from family to move on.
TanoCalvenoa on December 31, 2012:
Your lenses all linked to this theme of abuse are sad but also really good and should help many in similar situations (which unfortunately is more common than we want to believe).
anonymous on December 31, 2012:
Your page is AWESOME! I was married for 16 years before I finally left! I lived in hell with the devil himself. I left 3 and a half years ago. My life has never been the same! I have just recently decided to seek Christian counselling. So far so good but harder than I thought. If I do not heal then I cannot move on. With GOD's help I unederstand that we are not defined by how many times we fall but by hoe many times we get up and keep going...
JJNW (author) from USA on December 19, 2012:
@jenni39: Abuse has really hurt my confidence as well. Trying to build strength in yourself sounds like a very wise. Wishing you all the best!
jenni39 on December 18, 2012:
I have just got out of a 3 year domestic violence situation. Me and my daughter have suffered so much. I took him back so many times and know now if I stayed, I would no be alive. My confidence is so low! However I am very proactive and will show my strength when I have to face him in court. I pray every night for strength!
anonymous on December 08, 2012:
I am a survivor of mental, physical and sexual abuse for many years. I'm in the process, finally in my thirties to try to heal or find the peace I have wanted so badly. Thank you for these inspirational words.
JJNW (author) from USA on October 05, 2012:
@anonymous: Yay for Emily! I am glad you are continuing to heal and you are taking time for yourself. Best of everything.
anonymous on October 04, 2012:
I am a survivor of domestic violence. After 3 years with an abusive husband and a miscarriage from his hands (and feet), I finally got strong enough to realize that it wasn't true love and I needed out. It was the best move I ever made. 7 years later, I still have issues and am still working thru the feelings, but everyday is a healing process. These quotes are wonderful and read them daily. Thank you so much!
JJNW (author) from USA on October 03, 2012:
@anonymous: THANK YOU, Melissa. I feel exactly the same way. You can follow me on twitter as JJNW and I will look for you too. I have been using the hashtags #DV #NPD #Abuse #DomesticViolence #Narcissism and (my favorite) #Psycho
anonymous on September 27, 2012:
Hello everyone! I am a survivor of Domestic Violence and I am sure everyone knows of the popular social media site called twitter. I myself have a twitter account and tonight i started tweeting different quotes i found on other websites and mostly some from my own knowledge that I came up with or heard in my recovery processes. But if you do also have a twitter start tweeting about domestic violence to raise awareness that this issue needs to end! When you tweet either hash tag (#) Stop the violence, or End Domestic Violence. ex( #StopTheViolence ) (#EndDomesticViolence ) My twitter account: MelissaxBella Name on the account: Mimi follow me and either tweet me or direct message me to let me know you want to help me raise awareness so I can follow you back. If we all stand up together, we can make a difference.
attraction 42 on September 21, 2012:
I love your quotes. Have a nice day. :)
anonymous on September 09, 2012:
keep these quotes coming going through a very had time thank you so much:)
anonymous on August 29, 2012:
Thank you so much for these quotes im excaping domestic violence and these quotes are my new insperation that keep me going through the day again thankyou
GMaStella on August 06, 2012:
These quotes are very uplifting and powerful. They make life more meaningful. Thank you very much
anonymous on August 04, 2012:
I am suffering so badly but these quotes help me go on... one day enough courage will be found to leave him, a peaceful life for me and my baby :,(. Thank you sonera amazing words