Anamika S. Jain has been a social media consultant for six years. She has written more than 200 articles on relationships and dating.
Are you proposing to her for the right reasons?
One of the top reasons why a marriage might fail is getting into it for the wrong reasons. It is not only women but men also often get married for the wrong reasons only to break up later.
What are your motives for popping the Question? Given below are 6 worse reasons why a man may propose a woman.
6 wrong reasons why a man may propose a woman
Given below are 6 wrong reasons why a man may propose a woman. If you want to pop the question for any of the motives listed below, think twice.
- All my friends are married: Often Men end up proposing a girl for acceptance among friends. He may feel awkward in the company of his married friends that he too may decide to take a plunge. Just remember, it is not your friends who have to live and get old with the girl you chose, but you.
- My family likes her: Many times a man may pop the question to a girl because she may be his Parents choice or because she is nice. Especially in India, the system of arranged marriages is extremely popular and a man may sometimes even agree to marry a girl without seeing her. Some may even marry the girl and leave her to live with parents like an unpaid maid. Though having the parent’s approval for a marriage is vital, it requires more than the parent’s consent to build a lasting relationship.
- She wants me to: Should you marry a girl just because she likes you? Many times men propose to their girls because that is expected from them. Getting married when you are not ready just because your Partner wants it can be a disaster.
- We are together for long: Some men propose because they feel guilty that they are in the relationship for long. They may be compelled to propose to the girl because they feel backing away could hurt the girl. Giving time to your relationship would be better than feeling trapped later.
- We had sex: Expectations to propose could be high if there is physical intimacy with the partner. Men may propose marriage because he is guilty of being physically intimate with the girl or because she is pregnant. Many women also use it as a manipulative tool to get their men to pop the question. Just remember, Physical intimacy does not ensure a happy marriage. There should be love and emotional compatibility also for a successful marriage.
- Green Card and Money: Many times men propose because they see the girl as a passport to a comfortable life, especially in India where the dowry system is still prevalent. Marrying a girl because she is rich and could bring a sizable dowry is not a good reason for marriage. So what are your reasons for proposing?
Are you popping the Question because you want to or are you doing it because you feel compelled to? If you are proposing a girl because of wrong reasons, think again!
10 Marriage Proposal FAILS
Thomas Benjamin, Wamba Nas/st Nig. on June 01, 2012:
1nderful article 2 pre & post marriages... Keep on educating marriages of nowadays oh...............
Victor S.A on May 14, 2012:
This is the End of the Story.You wanna marry?Go think this Through. May God bless this Person and his Household Forever.Amen
Tina on May 10, 2012:
Huh, when u think abt this u will not near marriage. Great
Ruchira from United States on March 07, 2012:
Another wrong reason...she has money..lol
good wrong reasons, Anamika :)
voted up as funny yet interesting.
Steven P Kelly from Tampa, FL on March 06, 2012:
Hey very sage advice my friend! I hope a lot of young men read it! Thanks for the thoughtful article.
Cindy Murdoch from Texas on March 06, 2012:
These are definitely reasons not to get married! Great info provided for someone thinking about popping the question.