Andrea has worked with HubPages for 8+ years. She mostly writes about dating, couples, weddings, travel, interior design, and gardening.
Virgo + Sagittarius Compatibility Report
Virgo and Sagittarius are going to be an extremely odd couple that will baffle others.
Virgo is known as the loner of the Zodiac. Sagittarius is afraid of commitment and prefers to be free and run wild and do whatever she wants. It’s a mystery as to how these two came together — and how they’re staying together.
This couple realistically doesn't come together too often for the long term. All pairings do occur in the Zodiac and can end in either marriage or divorce. Virgo and Sagittarius are no exception, except their connection is a rare one.
The Scholarly Romance
Virgo is a perfectionist, a scholar of virtue and logic, and a diligent worker. It’s the work ethic that often draws them away from relationships. Virgo is dedicated to completing a task.
Sagittarius, on the other hand, is kind of a slob, does things on their terms, is spontaneous, wants to have fun, doesn’t always want to take things seriously, and can be ultra tacky. Sagittarius likes to do research for the fun of it.
In a lot of ways, they are opposites. How can a dedicated worker mix well with a playful, spontaneous, and unplanned bohemian?
Some things to keep in mind:
- Virgo is a mutable earth sign.
- Sagittarius is a mutable fire sign.
- Virgo ends summer.
- Sagittarius ends fall.
- Sagittarius will take in a partner who amuses them, allows them to be free, and excites their brain. Virgo can fit this description. Virgo will easily give their partner the space they crave and need — and then some.
- Virgo’s cerebral ways will impress Sagittarius.
- Both of these signs are considered scholars, maybe it’s because they're both mutable.
- Virgo wants a partner who is essentially perfect and stable. Virgo craves independence, so they don't want a relationship that's cloying.
The Key: They're Both Nerds
Virgo and Sagittarius take to the scholarly life in different ways, which could help them find new perspectives. Virgo is studious. He wants to see lessons, plans, tasks, and skills to the end. He feels great discomfort when projects are incomplete. He must finish a book. Virgo will stay awake late into the night to finish its work and studies.
Sagittarius is a different thinker. The Sagittarius cuts corners, she is spontaneous, looking for thrills and sparks, and only reads what stands out. A Sagittarius actually makes for a great professor, because she knows what to read and what to skip. The centaur is a symbol of relaxed study and might.
Consistency Vs. Variety
Virgo will appreciate Sagittarius’ warmth. Sagittarius is the coolest of the fire signs — the sign doesn’t burn as intensely as Aries and Leo. It knows how to conserve its flame, to relax, and to do what it wants spontaneously.
Virgo is mutable, but they’re the middle Earth sign. They have more of a middle child attitude. Virgos don’t want to impress people the ways the previous signs did. They want to stand out in a different way and not feel like they are in Leo’s shadow — Leo is Virgo's predecessor.
Virgo treats his partner with great respect, he loves manners, he doesn’t always want something long term — he is either committed all the way or is holding onto a relationship for fun.
A Virgo and Sagittarius relationship could be a short episode for both, but still an important one. They both can have a relationship casually and be okay. Sometimes Virgo tries out relationships for fun — they want to take a break from their high expectations, so they’ll put their ideal on the back burner. Virgos don't have enough emotional intuition to scope out who is right for them automatically; they're also not sure to what degree they should let go of their expectations to date someone. This results in them taking on partners for a season with a lukewarm attitude.
Short Dating Relationships Are Okay
A Sagittarius could make for a perfect episode relationship instead of a long term one.
Sagittarius ultimately wants to be free and to make her own decisions on a whim. Sagittarius doesn’t want to be constrained. Because her fire doesn’t burn as strong as Aries and Leo, she worries that if she is too constrained she will die. Sagittarius can feel too constrained in a relationship. They don't like sacrificing freedom.
Sagittarius will resent a partner who makes them feel like their life can’t grow. A Sagittarius can only stay in a stuck relationship for so long before they explode and spontaneously find a new way. A Sagittarius requires variety — they need a job with constant variety. They need a partner who keeps them on their toes. Virgo will have to sacrifice consistency to some degree to maintain the kind of spark Sagittarius requires.
Virgo Is All about Consistency. Sagittarius Is All about Variety.
Virgo can give up a little consistency if they’ve completed enough tasks to finally relax. Sagittarius can give up some variety and give more consistency if they have done enough playful things and have tired of playing.
These two may function better at certain times of the day. The routine and pacing is everything for this relationship. They may hate each other in the morning and then feel completely right with each other at night.
A Whirlwind of Contradictions
Sagittarius will start up projects while Virgo will complete them.
- Sagittarius gets bored easily. Virgo has high levels of dedication.
- Virgo can manage Sagittarius' mess, but the Virgo will start to resent the Sagittarius.
- Sagittarius' starts up new things and keeps Virgo inspired.
Sagittarius will more likely initiate more important conversations while Virgo takes things to heart.
- Sagittarius speaks in whims. Virgo can hold grudges.
- The random things Sagittarius says can both amuse and annoy Virgo.
- Virgo likes to have practical, steady conversations. They don't always like for things to sparkle and glow.
Sagittarius can help Virgo open up and be a little more strange, more relaxed, more creative, and even smarter.
- Two smart signs sharpen each other.
- Virgo sometimes needs a nudge to be creative. They need a partner who supports them and makes them feel okay to make mistakes and fail.
- Virgo has a silly side, and Sagittarius is good about finding it.
Virgo can help Sagittarius manage better, so they don’t waste their energies in the wrong direction.
- Sagittarius types tend to have poor management skills.
- Virgo can help make Sagittarius' life more cohesive.
- Sagittarius may abhor Virgo for organizing literally everything.
These two can have great appreciation for each other.
- They may find the world makes more sense together.
- They might stay in touch throughout their lifetimes if not in a committed relationship.
- Virgo and Sagittarius both prize independence. They're two of the least likely signs to couple up with others.
- Virgo and Sagittarius can be understanding when it comes to struggling with commitment.
- Virgo and Sagittarius have commitment issues for different reasons. Virgo is too much of a perfectionist. Sagittarius doesn't want to sacrifice freedom.
Virgo will be intrigued by Sagittarius’ unusual ways.
- Virgo will want someone like this in their life to bring some color into it.
- Sometimes Virgo, and earth signs in general, can be somewhat monochromatic. They often fall for more colorful, strange signs because they secretly wanted more color in their world.
- Virgo sometimes is boring to itself. Why add someone into their life to add even more earth tones?
Don’t get me wrong, Virgo is kind of a weirdo, more so than its cousins Taurus and Capricorn.
- Virgo is the black sheep of the earth signs. It separates from the norm and carves out its own path in the earth.
- Virgo puts a spin on the earth element because of its influence from Mercury.
- Virgo is far more cerebral than Taurus or Capricorn. Virgo can compete with some of the more intense intelligent signs, like Gemini and Aquarius. But Virgo isn’t an air sign.
Virgo is full of chivalry but is known as the most single sign.
- Virgo is full contradictions, and in a way they want something weird, broken, and human.
- Virgo wants something it can watch grow, transform, and attempt to perfect itself.
- Virgo is like Persephone: it wants to be part of both the physical and mundane world and also the supernatural.
Top Ten Tips for This Pairing
1. Work in the morning. Hang out at night. You'll be more ready for your partner after you've spent your energy on your different work styles.
2. Remember: Sagittarius craves variety. Virgo craves consistency. In order to make this relationship work, you will have to sacrifice at times. Think before you act. Compromise is a powerful tool.
3. Make clear boundaries for the relationship when possible. Due to the uncommitted nature on both parts, you'll need to communicate as clearly as possible.
4. Virgo is naturally better at managing resources and finances. Sagittarius is naturally better at initiating. Virgo has more of a manager type personality: he is resourceful, resilient, and reliable. Sagittarius has more of a leader type personality: she inspires, involves, and initiates.
5. Help set the rhythm. Try to keep to a consistent sleep schedule and eating schedule. This will help keep the pacing and health of the relationship alive. This will likely be harder for Sagittarius. Sagittarius needs to work on being conscientious.
6. Accept your differences. Obviously, you are not the same people.
7. Virgo needs to play more and lighten up. Sagittarius needs to work more and get more serious. Sometimes you need to put your instincts on pause and do what's challenging for you.
8. Have similar hobbies and interests in common so that you have common ground. You both may like: cooking together, do it yourself projects, home remodeling, gardening (this might be too slow for Sagittarius), and exercising.
9. Add more activities with fire and zest to cherish the Sagittarius: go dancing, eat spicy foods, drink hot drinks or alcohol, a night out on the town, wear something sultry, do something unpredictable.
10. Add more earth based activities to add some structure and practicality for Virgo: add more plants, do projects with your hands, go camping, go hiking, be in nature, add a zen garden, think about your home and what could enrich the eyes, ears, and nose. Earth is all about the senses.
Virgo + Sagittarius at a Quick Glance
August 23 to September 22
November 23 to December 21
The Centaur / The Archer
House of Cards:
Represented by the Body
Earth Tones. Brown, Black, Pale Green, White.
All Fire Colors: Red, Orange, Blue, Purple.
Driven, task-oriented, logical, cerebral, detail-oriented, independent, perfectionist, calculated, practical, in their senses, hands-on, determined
Spontaneous, creative, fun, playful, excited, does things their own way, experimental, freedom seeker, daring, wild, liberating, slob, random
Depression, perfectionism, working too much, beats self up, high expectations, take things too seriously, loner
Partying too much, shirks responsibility, delays things too much, procrastination, relies on luck too much, daredevil, ruined sleep schedule
Opposite Sign / Season
This content reflects the personal opinions of the author. It is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and should not be substituted for impartial fact or advice in legal, political, or personal matters.
© 2020 Andrea Lawrence