Andrea has been an online writer for 8+ years. She mostly writes about dating, couples, weddings, travel, interior design, and gardening.
Virgo and Sagittarius Compatibility Report
Virgo and Sagittarius are an incredibly endearing pair. People will find them quirky and romantic. They're a very odd pair because both Virgo and Sagittarius strive for independence, and they don't often end up in long term monogamous relationships. Their reasons for taking the single route differ wildly.
- Virgo is known as the loner of the Zodiac. Virgos concentrate on their work and seek for perfection in all the things they do. They don't settle down easily, and they don't typically give up work.
- Sagittarius is afraid of commitment. They prefer to run wild and do whatever they want whenever they want. They prefer spontaneity over rules and structure.
It’s a mystery as to how these two came together—and how they’re staying together. This coupling isn't as popular as others, but all pairings do occur in Western Astrology. Some Virgo and Sagittarius relationships do end in marriage. Virgo and Sagittarius have a rare connection: one that can feel like trying to trap lightning in a jar.
A Square Relationship
Virgo is a perfectionist, a scholar of virtue and logic, and a diligent worker. Virgo's work ethic often draws them away from relationships. Virgo is dedicated to completing a task. They tend to go far in their studies and career.
Sagittarius, on the other hand, is a slob, does things on their terms, constantly wants to have fun, and has a hard time taking things seriously. Sagittarius likes school for the fun of learning and trying different things.
In a lot of ways, Virgo and Sagittarius are opposites. This begs the question: how can a dedicated worker mix well with a playful, spontaneous, and unplanned bohemian?
Here's the thing: Virgo and Sagittarius are square signs. These are relationships that have a certain kismet psychic feel to them but also a tension that's hard to place. The most infamous square relationship is Aquarius and Scorpio.
Square relationships occur when two signs have the same modality and have neighboring seasons. In this case, both Virgo and Sagittarius are considered mutable signs. They come at the end of the season. Mutable signs are restless, flexible, and embrace change. Virgo ends summer and Sagittarius ends fall.
Square sign relationships have a mix of yin and yang energies. Virgo, an earth sign, is considered more yin. Sagittarius, a fire sign, is considered more yang.
- Both of these signs are considered scholars; maybe it’s because they're both mutable.
- Virgo wants a partner who is perfect and stable. Virgo craves independence, so they don't want a relationship that's cloying.
- Sagittarius wants a partner who amuses them, allows them to be free, and excites their brain. Virgo can fit this description. Virgo will easily give their partner the space they crave and need—and then some.
- Virgo’s cerebral ways will impress Sagittarius.
The Key: They're Both Nerds
Virgo and Sagittarius both have a thirst for knowledge. Both make for good students, but for different reasons.
Virgo is studious. They want to read books, complete assignments, ace tests, and take advantage of opportunities to grow their skills. They feel great discomfort when projects are incomplete. They must read books from start to finish. Virgo will stay awake late into the night to finish their work and studies.
Sagittarius is a different thinker altogether. Sagittarius cuts corners, they are spontaneous, looking for thrills and sparks, and they only read what they like. They're great at skimming subjects. A Sagittarius can make for a great professor because they're well-rounded and know how to keep students engaged. The centaur is often a symbol for knowledge, astronomy, and self-discovery.
Consistency Vs. Variety
Virgo will appreciate Sagittarius’ warmth. Sagittarius is the coolest of the fire signs—the sign doesn’t burn as intensely as Aries and Leo. It knows how to conserve its energy, to relax, and to do what it wants.
Virgo is mutable, but they’re the middle Earth sign. They have more of a middle child attitude. Virgos don’t want to impress people the way other signs do. They want to stand out in a different way and not feel like they are in Leo’s shadow—Leo is Virgo's predecessor.
Virgo treats their partner with respect, they have polished manners, but they don’t always want something long term. They're either committed all the way, or they hold onto a relationship for fun (or boredom).
A Virgo and Sagittarius relationship could be a short episode for both, but still an important one. They both can have a relationship casually and be okay. Sometimes Virgo tries out relationships for fun—they want to take a break from their high expectations, so they’ll put their ideals on the back burner.
Virgos don't have enough emotional intuition to scope out who is right for them from the beginning. They're also not sure to what degree they should let go of their expectations to date someone. This results in them taking on partners for a season and with a lukewarm attitude.
Short Dating Relationships Are Okay
A Sagittarius could make for a perfect episode relationship instead of a long term one. Sagittarius ultimately wants to be free and to make their own decisions—and on a whim. Sagittarius doesn’t want to be constrained.
Because their fire doesn’t burn as strong as Aries and Leo, they worry that if they are too constrained they'll die. Sagittarius can feel too constrained in a relationship. They don't like sacrificing freedom.
Sagittarius will resent a partner who makes them feel like their life can’t grow. A Sagittarius can only stay in a stuck relationship for so long before they explode and spontaneously leave. A Sagittarius requires variety—they need a job with constant action. They need a partner who keeps them on their toes.
Virgo will have to sacrifice consistency to some degree to maintain the kind of spark Sagittarius requires. Sagittarius can't handle boredom.
Virgo Is All About Consistency; Sagittarius Is All About Variety
Virgo can give up a little bit of consistency if they’ve completed enough tasks to finally relax. Sagittarius can give up some variety and give more consistency if they have done enough playful things and have tired of playing.
They may hate each other in the morning and then feel completely right with each other at night. By the end of the day, they're unwinding. Virgo should be ready to let go of work, and Sagittarius should be losing energy. This will bring the two to a happy medium.
A Closer Look
Sagittarius Leads and Virgo Manages
Sagittarius will start up projects while Virgo will complete them. Sagittarius gets bored easily. Virgo has an outstanding amount of stamina for tedious details. The good news? Virgo can take care of the stuff that Sagittarius hates. Also, Virgo will love taking care of the nitty gritty.
However, if Sagittarius always leaves behind a mess for Virgo to cleanup, Virgo will start to resent Sagittarius. These two need to communicate about their needs and not play guessing games with each other.
Sagittarius' starts up new things and keeps Virgo inspired. Fire types tend to jump into the thick of the action, but they struggle to organize. Sagittarius is more of a leader. Virgo is more of a manager; they have excellent organization skills, particularly with physical resources. But Virgos don't always know how to get things started.
Sagittarius Is Abstract and Virgo Is Logical
Sagittarius will initiate random conversations. This will entertain Virgo; however, sometimes the randomness will get under Virgo's skin.
Virgo likes to have practical, steady conversations. They don't always like for things to sparkle and glow. Virgo likes to follow things in a logical way. These two will have to compromise and find middle ground.
Sagittarius Helps Virgo Open Up
When two smart people date each other, they both get smarter. They'll help sharpen each other. Sagittarius will help Virgo to be more creative and abstract. Virgo will help Sagittarius to be more sensible.
Virgo sometimes needs a nudge to be creative. They need a partner who supports them and makes them feel okay to make mistakes and fail. Sagittarius isn't hurt by rejection like others would be, so they can help Virgo feel more comfortable when they fall short.
Virgo has a silly side, and Sagittarius is great at bringing it out. Sagittarius' whimsical side helps bring out Virgo's more laid back side.
They may find the world makes more sense together. They might stay in touch throughout their lifetimes if they don't continue dating each other.
Virgo and Sagittarius both prize independence, something that many of the other signs don't. In this way, Virgo and Sagittarius feel they confide in one another. Virgo and Sagittarius can be understanding when it comes to struggling with commitment.
Never Ending Intrigue
Sometimes Virgo, and earth signs in general, can be somewhat monochromatic. They often fall for more colorful, strange signs because they secretly want more color in their world.
Virgo sometimes finds their own company boring. Why would they want to add someone into their life who is also kind of dull? Virgo wants someone with some pizzazz.
Have you seen the show Lucifer? Chloe Decker is about as Virgo as it gets—and she dates the Devil! Those who like neutral aesthetics are often drawn to those that know how to get a party started.
Virgo Can Be a Total Weirdo
Virgo is the black sheep of the earth signs. It separates from the norm and carves out its own path in regards to the earth element. Virgo's influence from Mercury causes them to be more thought oriented like an air sign. Virgos are more communicative than other earth signs.
Virgo gets way more into their head than Taurus or Capricorn. Virgo has better self-control over their senses. Virgo has the sensibility of an earth sign but the mentality of an air sign.
Virgo Believes in Chivalry and Independence
Virgo is full of contradictions, and in a way, they want something weird, broken, and human. They chase after the illusion of perfection, but they also kind of hate perfection.
Why are they so confused? Because Virgo wants something it can watch grow, transform, and attempt to perfect itself. Once something has actually become perfect it actually becomes dull. It loses it's excitement.
Virgo is like Persephone: the goddess wants to be part of the physical and mundane world, and she wants to be part of the supernatural world.
Top Ten Tips for This Pairing
1. Work in the morning. Hang out at night. You'll be more ready for your partner after you've spent your energy on your different interests.
2. Remember: Sagittarius craves variety. Virgo craves consistency. In order to make this relationship work, you will have to sacrifice at times. Think before you act. Compromise is a powerful tool. Compromise is your friend.
3. Make clear boundaries for the relationship. Due to the uncommitted nature of both people, you'll need to communicate as clearly as possible. Communication will prevent hurt feelings. Know what is out of bounds before you do it.
4. Virgo is naturally better at managing resources and finances. Sagittarius is naturally better at initiating. Virgo has more of a manager type personality: they're resourceful, resilient, and reliable. Sagittarius has more of a leader type personality: they inspire, involve, and initiate.
5. Help set the rhythm. Try to keep to a consistent sleep schedule and eating schedule. This will help keep the pacing and health of the relationship alive. This will likely be harder for Sagittarius. Sagittarius needs to work on being conscientious.
6. Accept your differences. Obviously, you are not the same people.
7. Virgo needs to play more and lighten up. Sagittarius needs to work more and get more serious. Sometimes you need to put your instincts on pause and do what's challenging for you.
8. Have similar hobbies and interests in common so that you have common ground. You both may like: cooking together, DIY projects, home remodeling, gardening (this might be too slow for Sagittarius), and exercising.
9. Add more activities with fire and zest to cherish Sagittarius' nature: go dancing, eat spicy foods, drink hot drinks or alcohol, spend a night out on the town, wear something sultry, and do something unpredictable.
10. Add more earth based activities to add some structure and practicality for Virgo: add more plants, do projects with your hands, go camping, go hiking, be in nature, add a zen garden, think about your home and what could please the eyes, ears, and nose. Earth is all about the senses.
Virgo + Sagittarius at a Quick Glance
August 23 to September 22
November 23 to December 21
The Centaur / The Archer
House of Cards:
Represented by the Body
Earth Tones: Brown, Black, Pale Green, White.
All Fire Colors: Red, Orange, Blue, Purple.
Driven, task-oriented, logical, cerebral, detail-oriented, independent, perfectionist, calculated, practical, in their senses, hands-on, determined.
Spontaneous, creative, fun, playful, excited, does things their own way, experimental, freedom seeker, daring, wild, liberating, slob, random.
Depression, perfectionism, working too much, beats self up, high expectations, takes things too seriously, loner.
Partying too much, shirks responsibility, delays things too much, procrastination, relies on luck too much, daredevil, ruined sleep schedule.
Opposite Sign / Season
This content reflects the personal opinions of the author. It is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and should not be substituted for impartial fact or advice in legal, political, or personal matters.
© 2020 Andrea Lawrence