I've been through too many failed relationships and finally found the one. I enjoy writing about relationships and spiritual connection.
If You're In the Short Girls' Club, You will Definitely Relate to These!
Height is one of the first things people notice when they meet a new person. It is not even a conscious observation but it is definitely noted. This feature in humans depends on many things like your genetics, your diet and exercise etc. But if you are below average in terms of height you definitely face a lot more issues than tall girls. Your tall friends could just never be able to comprehend the extra difficulty you have to go through as “The Short Friend”.
Are You a Short Girl?
Firstly, I have to declare that I am not short (above 5'6", ~170cm). I am very close to my sister-in-law who is 4'9”, ~145cm. After a discussion on her challenges and perks as a "Short Girl", I found it compelling to share her perspective and how we can empathize.
According to her, a short girl is generally anywhere around her height of 4'9" (145cm) to less than 5'3" (161cm).
This's a casual piece of writing post my conversation with her. The article has been validated by my sister-in-law. Please comment over to correct if some statements do not reflect accurately and don't take to heart if the statement comes off as offensive.
41 Things that Only Short Girls Will Know
Do you consider yourself a short girl? Well then here are some struggles that the "Short Girl" or "Short Friend" can understand.
- One of the most common struggles is not being able to reach the top shelves at grocery stores, libraries and basically everywhere else.
- Your shopping experience is not limited to the adult section. Being a short lady has its perks! If you find something cute at a children’s store you might still be able to fit in it!
- On the downside, many adult stores never have a size small enough for you. It’s always a little tricky when going shopping.
- You aren’t a troublesome guest. If you stay over at a friend’s place and they don’t have a spare bed, you can fit on sofas with ease and plenty of legroom.
- Your feet can never seem to reach the pedals in your car! Your friends and family may look at you strangely when you have to move the car seat super close to the steering wheel but you got to do what you got to do.
- You never have to worry about being taller than your date! Most people are taller than you so you can even wear heels to date and not worry about being taller than him.
- Hugging your female friends can be a bit uncomfortable at times. Your face is at their chest level so there is usually a bit of a struggle with how to position your face to avoid their chest area.
- You have to practically take a little jump to get off the bed.
- People think that you forget how short you are when it is not something one forgets. Every time you meet a new person your height is one of the very first things that you guys talk about.
- For my older ladies, it is a great way of concealing your age! Shorter women usually tend to look much younger. It will be hard for someone to guess your age.
- When you find the perfect pair of jeans that fit right everywhere, but they always end up being too long.
- You have gotten used to cuffing most of your jeans and pants now because the length just is not right.
- When it’s raining your umbrella is a hazard to the people around you. Poking and jabbing people in the face.
- You have to get on your tiptoes to receive a kiss from your significant other.
- It is so annoying when tall people complain about their struggles because you know they aren’t as bad as yours.
- You are always at the front whenever there is a group picture.
- Concerts, performances and plays, etc. that do not have proper seating arrangement and require you to stand are just no good. You end up being behind people who are much higher than you. The view is basically just their back.
- People can lift you with next to no effort. Usually, with being short you are also much easier to carry. So, even after you grow up you can get piggyback rides when goofing around with your loved ones.
- This pro can also sometimes be a con if you aren’t okay with the person picking you up. As a joke, a friend or acquaintance will just try to lift you and it is never comfortable. It’s like they forget it’s your body and they have to ask for permission.
- Forehead kisses are the best since the person is always taller than you.
- Seating’s never a problem. If there are not enough seats at the table, there’s no need to worry. It is easy for you to squeeze into almost any seating arrangement because you are just so small.
- Oversized white clothing can double as be a Halloween costume for you
- Sometimes people do not take you seriously. This can be incredibly frustrating. Just because you are short does not mean you want to be treated like a baby.
- You have to get creative when trying to reach for something on the top shelf.
- And when you ask for help, people think it’s so cute.
- You have an extensive collection of heels. And although tall girls may find it hard to walk in them it’s as easy as wearing sneakers for you at this point.
- Sometimes even the heels do not make you stand at eye level with some people and this can make you really angry at times.
- The seatbelt in cars is always loose and does not protect you.
- Maxi dresses just seem like they are not made for you. It feels next to impossible to find a long dress that does not make you feel like you are floating in it.
- You need a stool even when you are doing something as simple as washing your car. You usually end up paying someone to do it for you or just driving through a car wash.
- Your feet never seem to be able to find the bottom of the pool.
- It’s incredibly hard to keep up when you go on walks with your taller friends or family members. Their long legs help them walk much faster and you are left catching your breath a couple of meters away.
- Your calves are in surprisingly good shape. To reach things you often have to be on your tiptoes, this makes you unconsciously exercise your calves. Way to go girl!
- Crowds are not your friend. It’s so easy for you to get separated from your date or group of friends when there is a large crowd.
- Although you can use this to your advantage! It is not hard for you to sneakily slip away from a group if you see someone you don’t like or are feeling awkward.
- You do extensive research on camera angles to make yourself look tall.
- The high waist pant trend may make some look taller but if your torso is already small high waist pants just do not make the cut. They make your body look weirdly proportioned.
- Bathroom mirrors barely show your neck.
- Most chairs are not low enough for your feet to actually touch the ground so you tend to rest your feet on the edge of the table.
- People, often strangers, think the top of your head is free real estate. They pat, ruffle and scratch the top of your head just to get their punch line in.
- Reaching into the washing machine is not easy.
Celebrities Who are Considered Short
Here are some celebrities who are prospering in the film, T.V. music industry etc. Some queens to look up to:
- Ariana Grande, 5 ft. (154cm)
- Lady Gaga, 5 ft. (154cm)
- Nicki Minaj, 5 ft. 2 in. (157cm)
- Anna Kendrick, 5ft. 1in. (155cm)
How to Feel More Confident about your Height
In today’s society, the beauty standards are almost unattainable to reach. Tall women are considered more attractive and being in a society where you are judged for things you can’t even control is a whole struggle in itself. Many girls feel insecure and self-conscious about their height especially when they are short. This insecurity is many a time heightened and validated by bullies in school or other places. Teasing and joking around is a part of any friendship but so is establishing boundaries. Make it clear that you are hurt by their words and if they continue their ways, they don’t deserve to have you in their life.
It is completely normal to feel insecure about some aspects of your body sometimes. But you must remember that God created you as you are and you are perfect.
My Open Secret as a Tall Girl
It's a known secret to everyone around me - there are days I want to be short. Being short is cute and feminine. I feel like I am more likely to accede to a short girl's request than one who is as tall as me? Who doesn't want more of these traits? I do!
Therefore, to all short girls out there, you are beautiful and enough, and please there is nothing really to compare to other girls around. Everyone has his/her insecurities and what you have is actually what other desire.
There are so many powerful women who are thriving despite being short. Your height does not make you less attractive. It has its pros and cons but you must not let anyone bring you down over something so insignificant. Keep your head up and shoulders back ladies, there is no one sassier than a short girl.
This content reflects the personal opinions of the author. It is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and should not be substituted for impartial fact or advice in legal, political, or personal matters.
© 2021 Muriel B Tewes
Muriel B Tewes (author) on May 27, 2021:
It's true.. short guys will have a very different state from short girls. Similarly, I hope to be able to have a heartfelt conversation to understand more. I am sure the perks and challenges are different!
dashingscorpio from Chicago on May 27, 2021:
"It's a known secret to everyone around me - there are days I want to be short. Being short is cute and feminine." - Interesting.
One of the most passionate relationships I ever had was with a woman who was 4' 11". I know a lot of guys who want to date women with long legs but I'd take a short proportionate woman any day of the week.
Needless to say I believe short women have it easier than short men. I've seen a lot of guys in that position state most women don't want to date men who are shorter than them.
Not many women want to tower over their man.
Everyone gets rejected. That's just life!
It's always something! :)