Communication is one aspect of life that is very important. Everyday we one way or the other involve in the activities of communication.
A simple definition of communication means the act of transmitting or exchanging of data or information. But when it comes to the aspect of relationship, communication is the process by which we communicate our needs, experiences or feelings with our partner. Communication allows us to express ourselves with others. Communication does not only helps us meet our needs, but it also helps us to be more connected in our relationship, thereby also understanding our partner's love languages.
DIFFICULTIES ASSOCIATED WITH COMMUNICATION IN RELATIONSHIPS.
It is true that sometimes when issues arises and we want them resolved but unfortunately we find it difficult settling such issues. This could be as a result of so many reasons like or partner trying to avoid such discussion or any of these other reasons:
1. ATTITUDES OR EMOTIONS: Using harsh words or raising your voice harshly on your partner can make your partner show reluctance when communicating with you. One way our emotions could affect communication in our relationship is if our partner is someone who gets jealous easily, or someone who gets insecured in the relationship. A jealous or insecured partner can make them always question every of your actions or moves you make. Try to avoid insulting your partner or shouting at them when you both are discussing.
2. AVOIDING CONFLICTS: Sometimes couples may not want to communicate because they both feel that if they talk about the relationship, it will only make things worse. So they tend to always avoid though discussions and this may in return jeopardize the interest they have for each other.
3. Assumptions or Mind reading: No matter how you know or love your partner, you cannot always be right about their needs. Do not try to assume things, instead talk about those things with them. Get to know more about their love languages. Also, do not try to make your partner mind read you, not all is good at that. Communicate clearly what your expectations are.
4. TRYING TO BE PERFECT ALWAYS: Often perfectionists try attempting to reach faultless partner status, in the hope that they will achieve the approval they weren't able to give themselves.
5. ACTING DEFENSIVE: You don't want to ever admit that you're wrong. Maybe because of your ego, you would always prefer to be right even when it clearly shows that you're at fault. You tend to begin to manipulate your partner into feeling like they are always wrong.
6. BAD LISTENING SKILLS: Have you ever had a partner that never wants to listen to what you have to say? They're always at the edge of speaking. Sometimes they may even say things like, what you always say is nonsense that is why I don't waste my time listening to you. This set of individuals always feels like they know all and find it difficult accepting people's advice. No matter how right you are, at least it shows some sign of respect listening to what your partner is saying. This will make your partner to be fully interested in every discussion you make with them, because they know that they would be listened to.
7. BRINGING UP PASTS: Let matters that was settled in the past remain as past. Do not try to choke your partner by continuing bringing up Past conflicts.
8. LACK OF EMPATHY: This is when a partner shows no concern as to how you feel when you both are discussing. They show no regards to how you get affected by their words or harsh tones. Sometimes they may even go as far as hitting you when you both discuss. Their always quick to actions, their always quick to making their final decision and point without caring whether it hurts you or not. All they care about is how they feel.
IMPORTANCE OF COMMUNICATION IN A RELATIONSHIP.
Great communication is an important aspect in any type of relationship be it Family Relationship, Friendship, Romantic Relationship, Acquaintances, Work Relationship, etc.This is because it forms healthy partnerships.
The following are some importance of communication in a relationship:
1. It enables you get to know your partner better.
2. It helps you in solving conflicts in relationships better.
3. It helps you express yourself to your partner or to others.
4. It helps you set clear expections.
5. It helps in avoiding misunderstandings.
IMPROVING COMMUNICATION IN YOUR RELATIONSHIP.
Communication is very important that it leads to sharing and bonding. It is therefore of great importance that we try to improve our level of communication in our relationship. Learn to communicate frequently because no matter how much you love your partner or how much you know your partner, you cannot always read your partner's mind. Remain close to your partner, share thoughts and feelings with them, this will help get you both through challenging times.
Also when we communicate, we need to do that clearly to avoid misunderstandings that may result into anger or conflicts. An healthy communication requires patience, practice and hard work. Because communication cannot be perfect all the time.
When you communicate with your partner, try to do these:
1. Set aside or avoid any form of distractions, like phones, television or computers.
2. Think about every word you want to say before saying it to avoid you using harsh or insulting words on you partner out of anger.
3. Be a good listener. Give your partner the time to talk about how they feel, and also listen actively to what they have to say. Do not be too quick to talk always.
4. Be clear about whatever you want to communicate.
5. Avoid raising your voice when speaking with your partner.
6. Avoid bringing up the past. Bringing up Past issues and conflicts can make your partner feel like you still hold things against them, even though they have agreed to work on themselves in that aspect. It makes them feel like no matter what they do to become better partners, you would still hold their mistakes against them.
7. Accept responsibility and own up to your mistakes.
8. Talk about how you feel about that situation.
9. Negotiate and always remember that you don't have to be right all the time.