It's Valentine's Day Again Already?!
Every year as Valentine's Day approaches I start to think of a little gift to get my sweetie. I always end up leaving it last minute and then it all comes down to running to my local grocery or drug store and picking out some generic gift that is left on the shelves. You know what I mean...the pink Hershey Kisses chocolate bag, a Valentine's Day card, and the rose stem with the accent white flowers that they seem to sell every year.
If you want this Valentine's Day gift to be different then look no further, I've come up with some classic and original present ideas to give to your loved one!
Whether you want to plan an elaborate gift for Valentine's Day, or you need a last-minute gift for your Valentine, this article will cover many unisex gift ideas as well as specific presents for women or men.
Not This Year!
A Great Valentine's Day Book
- An "I Love You" coffee mug. It's impossible not to find a store that sells these near Valentine's Day.
- Don't limit yourself to cups: "I Love You" teddy bears, pillows, photo frames, candles, t-shirts, ...etc.
- Books, love themed or not (Try one by Kim Casali, Love Is... )
- A bottle of fine wine, or other alcoholic beverage of your choice, to share of course
- Flowers: Women can gift flowers too, roses are a classic, but think outside the box too!
- I love you themed coffee cups, one for you, one for them.
- Some exotic coffee beans to go with the cups
- A magazine subscription
- Baked goods (cinnamon rolls, cookies, brownies, cupcakes, muffins...etc)
- A thoughtful hand-made card
- A funny/humorous relationship book (I say funny because giving them a serious one might make them think you're dropping hints about something)
- The classic fluffy teddy-bear
- The classic box of chocolates
- Heart shaped balloon
- A bamboo tree shaped into a heart (you can find these at hardware stores or in the gardening section of a super center)
- A beta fish with a Valentine's Day themed/decorated fish bowl
Home Baked Cookies Are a No-Fail Gift
Need some Easy and Romantic Date Ideas?
Poll: Think About What They Would Like
Guys, you have it easy when it comes to Valentine's Day gifts for women since almost everything on Valentine's day is geared toward men shopping for their wives or girlfriends. But some of those gifts are so plain and generic that it's hardly a surprise anymore (not that that's always a bad thing). I'm a classic girl, I'll always happily take the box of chocolates, but at the same time I ride a motorcycle so I would love a tiny box of emergency tools to put under the seat.
Here are some good ideas to get you started:
Gift Ideas for Women
- A love-themed perfume (Try something like Victoria's Secret Angel or Love Me More, by Victoria's Secret)
- And while you're on the Victoria's Secret website or in the store, why not pick up some lingerie, assuming you know the proper measurements.
- Jewelry, a cute silver heart shaped pendant is always appropriate.
- Bouquet of roses. Maybe stick a plastic one hidden in the middle and tell her you'll love her until the last one dies. I'd watch the tone you say this in or it might give her doubts. But in a few days she'll catch on.
- Definitely bake a cake or her favorite pastry, if you can cook. Accommodate any eating restrictions she might have like lactose intolerance, vegetarian, gluten-free...etc.
- Box of chocolates. Really this is universal.
- Write a poem to go with that box of chocolates
- Or, if your voice is apt enough, sing her something.
- A stuffed animal
- A light-pink watch. Or any color really, but pink will just reinforce that it's a Valentine's Day gift.
- A frame photo of you two together
- A cozy sweater, a cute pink dress, any clothing item that you know she'll like.
- Name a star after her. Start by going to http://www.starregistry.com/
- Just in case your lady rides too: a box of emergency tools (pink colored handles on the screwdrivers and pliers would be an appropriate Valentine's Day touch...)
A Good Valentine's Day Perfume for Women
Ladies, since men are undoubtedly harder to shop for than women are...here's some great ideas to get you out of "shoppers-block" and get you started the right way:
Gift Ideas for Men
- His favorite cologne
- Tickets to a sporting event.
- A watch
- Boxers, I always found the pink and red heart boxers a hilarious sight, but to each their own!
- Cook their favorite meal. If you can't cook, find some delicious pastries to buy from somewhere or try a pre-made brownie mix. It's really hard to mess something like that up. Make accommodations for his eating restrictions if he has any.
- Jewelry, if he likes wearing it
- If you're dating an engineer, a high precision mechanical pencil is a classy idea.
- If you're dating a businessman, a fancy pen may not be original but will come in handy.
- If you're dating an athlete, the gear he needs for his sport is a good idea
- A photo frame, get a digital one if he likes tech-stuff and download a few pictures of you two on there to make it more Valentine's Day gift friendly.
- If he really likes technology, and you know what you're doing, buy him something fancier. If you have no idea how to choose something, a gift-card to a tech-store won't fail.
- A clothing item (a tie is unoriginal, but paired with something else like a dressy shirt, it will seem like a complete package)
A Warm Perfume For Men
Some DIY Gift Ideas
If none of the above ideas just do it for you, then take a look at this video which has some cool DIY ideas that you can make at home. A hand made gift is thoughtful and it's even better when you take the time to make it yourself.
Still need inspiration?
Looking for Some Date Ideas?
- Romantic and Cute Date Ideas for Valentine's Day
Here are some of the best romantic Valentine's Day ideas. A list of some really creative and romantic ideas for Valentine's Day
Last Minute Holiday Gift Ideas
- Last Minute Holiday Gift Ideas
A quick list of DIY and store bought presents and gift ideas that you can put together last minute for the holidays. Gift ideas for women, men, children and kids.
If you found this article useful, please remember to:
- Vote it UP/Useful
- Leave a comment
- Share it on Twitter, Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram.
Comments: Add your own ideas if you have any!
Rajan Singh Jolly from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on July 31, 2013:
Some excellent ideas for gifts for one's valentine. Voted up and interesting. Thanks for sharing.
vibesites from United States on February 12, 2013:
A brilliant and beautiful hub! Who ever thought that ladybugs can be Valentine presents? I like them, hehehehe. Up and useful. :)
kikalina from Europe on February 12, 2013:
Voted up. Great hub.
carly on February 05, 2013:
good, I needed a list of gifts for men!
Albert from Miami on January 05, 2013:
Thank You LondonLady! Great ideas. It seems that more people are wanting "gadgets" these days for every holiday. :)
Deya Writes (author) on November 11, 2012:
Haha, maybe they read my list of gift ideas. Thank you for your comment rajan jolly, glad to hear you got a nice gift!
Rajan Singh Jolly from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on November 11, 2012:
Very interesting and useful ideas for gifting. I just got a watch as a gift and Oh boy! I really needed one. Thanks for sharing these tips.
Voted up, useful and interesting.
Linda Chechar from Arizona on November 08, 2012:
Voted up, useful and awesome! Your Hub gives me time enough to come up with a special gift and evening for my husband. You can never start planning too early! :)
Om Paramapoonya on November 08, 2012:
Nice ideas. My husband and I don't celebrate V-day. We don't exchange gifsts or go out, but I'm sure he'll appreciate a lovely dinner at home and some yummy cupcakes.
Eiddwen from Wales on November 01, 2012:
A brilliant hub and I now look forward to so many more by you.
I vote up.